Poor service with beverage packages?

marciab

Just of Reflection a few weeks ago on a jam packed full ship and no problems with package. Some bars are just more busy than others and certain times others are busy. Find one that's not busy and no problem.

How do you "purposely get "to know" a bartender " ? Does this involve cash ?

How do you "make sure the staff member will remember you " ? Does this involve cash ?

Not necessarily, I engage with the waiter/staff member in a polite and courtious manner at any/every opportunity, at the end of the cruise I will reward them for their good service.:D

Same as you would at your favorite restaurant or bar back home. Call them by name, talk to them, etc. I've found bartenders to be very friendly on Celebrity. When they ask you where you are from ask them about where they are from, ask them how long they've been on celebrity, how long they've been on the ship, etc. Typically they will take a few moments to make your drink and this is a great time to start chatting. Ask them about their favorite bars or restaurants at certain ports or ask them which port is their favorite and why. We once booked a specific cruise because one of our bartenders told us how amazing the itinerary was.

We've always enjoyed great service because of this but the best part is we really enjoyed our time at the bar. We would look forward to telling our new befriended bartenders our adventures of the day and we always enjoyed hearing their stories about everything from problem guests to the great dinner they had in port on their day off.

At the end of the cruise we always go up to our favorite bartenders / servers to tip and thank them personally. I've always treated every server and bartender like they were a good friend of mine who just happened to be working at the bar I walked into and I almost always receive better service and have an enjoyable time. Just my 2 cents but I hope it helps.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

This method works for me. :D

Martini Bar by 7:00 pm you will find a seat. Order LARGE Grey Goose Dirty Martini ( if not on the beverage package)

Should be ok on Premium Package no?

Yes, Grey Goose Dirty martini's only come in one size......large.....and they are covered by the Premium package. If you want a martini and you only have the classic package, from my experience on the Summit last October and from what I have read on these boards, you can only get a basic vodka or gin martini, a Cosmo or an Appletini and they will all come in small glasses and be made with classic level liquors such as Absolute.

Yes, Grey Goose Dirty martini's only come in one size......large.....and they are covered by the Premium package. If you want a martini and you only have the classic package, from my experience on the Summit last October and from what I have read on these boards, you can only get a basic vodka or gin martini, a Cosmo or an Appletini and they will all come in small glasses and be made with classic level liquors such as Absolute.

I will indeed be on the Grey Goose plan! :D

The Martini Bar does carry a variety of drinks, but the main purpose is skewed towards the making of martini's and there will an abundance of different vodkas and gins to make this happen. Because of space restrictions, this particular bar will not keep in stock a full array of BEER choices. My statement was in response to a poster that was upset and stated that it was "unacceptable" that they ran out of certain types of beers. On my Summit cruise last October, the Martini bar ran out of espresso vodka, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I just switched to another type of drink. You're on vacation, so flexibility and adaptability should come into play once in awhile.

Sorry, I was on my second Sapphire and tonic and didn't check my grammar. What was "unacceptable" was that all of the bars ran out of several types of beer, and the Martini bar ran out of several mixers. To make matters worse, there were no menus at the Martini bar for over half of our 12 night cruise because they were supposedly being reprinted. So we were flexible and adapted quite well by ordering by flavor. We asked for something with strawberries or blueberries or peaches. It was fun, but having sailed previously with Celebrity I know that we were missing out on some special Martinis that were listed on the menu but just couldn't recall. As for Michael's, it was the Solstice and they don't have any craft beer. The Molecular bar also ran out of liquid nitrogen so no smoking drinks after the first couple of days. The MDR ran out of Domain Chandon by the glass. Again we were flexible and adapted by ordering real champagne and just paying the difference. As for the comparison about the seafood restaurant, if they have porterhouse on the menu I expect to have it on my plate if I am in the mood that night. If there is anything else you want to correct me on or lecture me about, go for it. I'm headed toward my second G&T and find your level of seriousness and hostility quite amusing.

Edited by HappyTvlr

It is generally neither, they are normally the drinks waiter for an area in the MDR.:D

That is incorrect, it is the assistant waiters who are assigned to buffet duties. Others may also serve in there as well. :D

Edited by The_Big_M

Same as you would at your favorite restaurant or bar back home. Call them by name, talk to them, etc. I've found bartenders to be very friendly on Celebrity. When they ask you where you are from ask them about where they are from, ask them how long they've been on celebrity, how long they've been on the ship, etc. Typically they will take a few moments to make your drink and this is a great time to start chatting. Ask them about their favorite bars or restaurants at certain ports or ask them which port is their favorite and why. We once booked a specific cruise because one of our bartenders told us how amazing the itinerary was.

We've always enjoyed great service because of this but the best part is we really enjoyed our time at the bar. We would look forward to telling our new befriended bartenders our adventures of the day and we always enjoyed hearing their stories about everything from problem guests to the great dinner they had in port on their day off.

At the end of the cruise we always go up to our favorite bartenders / servers to tip and thank them personally. I've always treated every server and bartender like they were a good friend of mine who just happened to be working at the bar I walked into and I almost always receive better service and have an enjoyable time. Just my 2 cents but I hope it helps.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

That's a good way to do it.

Generally, just being regular visitors will make them more likely to recognise you.

Yes, and a $5 bill helps also. :D

Lol! I'm sure it does, and no doubt a $10 or a $20 would be even better!

Perhaps that's what was wrong in the Sky lounge, too many other people were tipping highly - thankfully this didn't seem to be the case in the Molecular! :D

We were on the Silhoutte in November and had no problems what so ever with getting drinks any where or any time on the ship, staff was very prompt and pleasant, we are booking another cruise with Celebrity because it was a great cruise deal

That is incorrect, it is the assistant waiters who are assigned to buffet duties. Others may also serve in there as well. :D

I wasn't talking about the buffet or the assistant waiters, you were. I was talking about the Cafe' and the drinks waiters in the MDR.:D

I wasn't talking about the buffet or the assistant waiters, you were. I was talking about the Cafe' and the drinks waiters in the MDR.:D

You weren't and still aren't clear then.

All you wrote was :"Yes, and often the same cafe staff in the mornings work the MDr in the evenings, "

This appears to be about the Ocean cafe waiters, many of whom are assistant waiters in the MDR. :D

You weren't and still aren't clear then.

All you wrote was :"Yes, and often the same cafe staff in the mornings work the MDr in the evenings, "

This appears to be about the Ocean cafe waiters, many of whom are assistant waiters in the MDR. :D

Sorry, to be clear then, I was referring to the Cafe' Al Baccio rather than the Buffet. :D

Drink package would have nothing to do with poor service but should be the opposite as the bartenders get their tips from each sale they make.

That doesn't make sense; if you have the package, tips are prepared so there is no "per drink" tip. The servers get the same pooled tips whether you buy 1 drink that week or 1000. The incentive comes when drinks are paid for a la carte, and thus more drinks = more tips.

But we had a really horrible experience with our sommelier in the MDR. On the first night he came over to introduce himself. When I mentioned that my husband doesn't drink wine and that I would be ordering by the glass, his wrinkled up his nose and said, quite rudely, that the bar waiter would be able to take care of us for THAT. I had heard such great things about this service and had been looking forward to his suggestions for pairings with my meal so I was a little upset. Friends of ours at another table had the Classic package and received attentive service from their sommelier so go figure.

No excuse for rudeness, but as there are far more wines available by the bottle than the glass, that is really where the sommelier's attention is needed. 6 pax needing help with a bottle of wine to pair trumps 1 or 2 people wanting help pairing a single glass of wine.

That said, I wonder how much actual training/experience most of the cruise line sommeliers have. Just doesn't seem like the kind of environment where a truly good sommelier would end up. Just my .02 though

Edited by waterbug123

I am on the Reflection currently. I have no problem getting the first drink, but getting a refill is difficult. I had found the service we used to have in the Elite lounge MUCH better than the service at the normal lounges now.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

I am on the Reflection currently. I have no problem getting the first drink, but getting a refill is difficult. I had found the service we used to have in the Elite lounge MUCH better than the service at the normal lounges now.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, are you referring to service in the lounges for the privileged or the bars for us great unwashed?