Shorts?

Rallytime1975

People dress the same way on Celebrity as they do on Carnival with one exceptions. More people dress for dinner in the MDR, on Carnival about 15-20% underdress, whereas on Celebrity it is much lower, maybe 5%. Just my observations.

Shorts are for little boys and old men.

You must not be from the USA. All summer in Washington DC men of all ages wear shorts on non workdays. In the evening shorts.

Also on a Caribbean cruise during the day 95% are wearing shorts in the daytime. Except maybe old men.

Edited by Charles4515

Always wear shorts even to mdr nobody cares why should you ,

Are you the shorts police .

At breakfast and lunch, yes. Dinner they won't let you in if they notice. I have seen the crew turn away passengers in shorts at dinner. Also at the elegant tea they would not allow shorts.

I am not the shorts police. I could care less. I am just telling it as it is.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
At breakfast and lunch, yes. Dinner they won't let you in if they notice. I have seen the crew turn away passengers in shorts at dinner. Also at the elegant tea they would not allow shorts.

I am not the shorts police. I could care less. I am just telling it as it is.

Just off the 1/20 Constellation and men in shorts, tee's and flip flops in the MDR everynite except formal. Probably some then but did not notice. And by flip flops, mean the rubber ones for shower or beach. Might as well sail CCL or NCL. More fun. IMO

Sort of off topic....but if you go to the Elite cocktail hour...shorts are not allowed. And some CC hostesses call some ladies capris "shorts." The issue seems to be if the capris cover your knee when you sit down. Personally I consider capri pants to hit mid way between ankle and knee but others consider longish bermuda shorts to be "capris."

At the risk of causing an uproar, I would like to say: We too like shorts and jeans at the appropriate time and place. That said, we also like dressing up and thoroughly enjoy the formal nights. That is one of the reasons we choose Celebrity. So many cruise lines have gone casual. While I am not the fashion police and to each their own, I think it is nice when people follow the rules. I also appreciate the dress code being enforced. There are plenty of dining alternatives if you don't like the MDR and theater dress code. There are also many cruise lines who are much more casual. Sorry, that is just my opinion.

Just off the 1/20 Constellation and men in shorts, tee's and flip flops in the MDR everynite except formal. Probably some then but did not notice. And by flip flops, mean the rubber ones for shower or beach. Might as well sail CCL or NCL. More fun. IMO

I find that surprising. My Celebrity cruises the last two years were in Europe, Constellation was a Baltic cruise and it was not Shorts weather. So I guess it is possible in the Caribbean that evening dress has become that causal. I have done many cruises on Celebrity and can't recall ever seeing one person wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner.

At the risk of causing an uproar, I would like to say: We too like shorts and jeans at the appropriate time and place. That said, we also like dressing up and thoroughly enjoy the formal nights. That is one of the reasons we choose Celebrity. So many cruise lines have gone casual. While I am not the fashion police and to each their own, I think it is nice when people follow the rules. I also appreciate the dress code being enforced. There are plenty of dining alternatives if you don't like the MDR and theater dress code. There are also many cruise lines who are much more casual. Sorry, that is just my opinion.

We are going on our 1st Celebrity cruise. My fiance and I always dress up for dinner, but we usually change after dinner. I normally change into a nice sundress and he changes into a polo and dress shorts for the rest of the evening. Will this not be acceptable for the theater on non formal nights? We want to follow the rules so please tell me if this is not acceptable.

Thanks!

We are going on our 1st Celebrity cruise. My fiance and I always dress up for dinner, but we usually change after dinner. I normally change into a nice sundress and he changes into a polo and dress shorts for the rest of the evening. Will this not be acceptable for the theater on non formal nights? We want to follow the rules so please tell me if this is not acceptable.

Thanks!

You can wear shorts in the theater. I think the OP was referring to passengers on formal night changing out of their formal wear dinner clothes. Many do change to more casual wear. I plead guilty to sometimes doing it myself although I don't wear shorts in the theater ever, only long pants ever because usually the AC would make me uncomfortable in shorts. The AC temperature is set low so that those dressed in wool clothing will be comfortable. Makes sense to have it set to keep those dressed up comfortable. Sometimes I need a sweater.

Edited by Charles4515

Guess I may draw some enemy fire on this, but this whole "dress code" thing on Celebrity is one of the few detractors on my upcoming first cruise this June. I wear business attire all year long and in the warm months like to wear shorts and polo, Tommy Bahamas or button down shirts along with the occasional flip flops (Gasp!!!) almost everywhere I go. With the exception of the flip-flops, I'd put my evening summer shorts wardrobe up agains most any "smart casual" wardrobe.

For example I go on an annual week long golf tournament in Mexico and there are two or three evening events that have "golf/warm weather attire" dress codes. The 400+ golfers all know what this means Shorts or slacks and Tommy Bahamas, with the occasional polo golf shirt. These are wonderful events for a tropical climate and every golfer abides by the rules. Wish Celebrity would take into consideration the climate and time of year in similar fashion.

With that said I am fully aware of Celebrity's dress code and will follow it. It's one of the reasons we chose to sail AQ class so we don't have to "dress up" for the formal nights. I think at some point the Cruise industry is going to have to reexamine the formal night events, especially on warm weather/summer cruises. Just my .02.

Cheers

Tom W

Guess I may draw some enemy fire on this, but this whole "dress code" thing on Celebrity is one of the few detractors on my upcoming first cruise this June. I wear business attire all year long and in the warm months like to wear shorts and polo, Tommy Bahamas or button down shirts along with the occasional flip flops (Gasp!!!) almost everywhere I go. With the exception of the flip-flops, I'd put my evening summer shorts wardrobe up agains most any "smart casual" wardrobe.

For example I go on an annual week long golf tournament in Mexico and there are two or three evening events that have "golf/warm weather attire" dress codes. The 400+ golfers all know what this means Shorts or slacks and Tommy Bahamas, with the occasional polo golf shirt. These are wonderful events for a tropical climate and every golfer abides by the rules. Wish Celebrity would take into consideration the climate and time of year in similar fashion.

With that said I am fully aware of Celebrity's dress code and will follow it. It's one of the reasons we chose to sail AQ class so we don't have to "dress up" for the formal nights. I think at some point the Cruise industry is going to have to reexamine the formal night events, especially on warm weather/summer cruises. Just my .02.

Cheers

Tom W

Formal nites are usually all indoor events. What has warm weather got to do with the way we dress. I would like to see a ban on ball caps, flipflops and tank tops in any indoor venue. I started cruising X for the attire most people wear. On last weeks cruise found out their is no longer a dress code.

I think Warm weather has a lot to do with it. In the military the weather and time of year dictated what uniform was appropriate. I'm just saying that on warm weather cruises tropical attire (including nice shorts and Tommy Bahamas shirts) should be more accepted at night. I agree with our points on ball caps, tank tops and flip flops at night.

I'd like to see X or another cruise line to a test on these designated formal nights. Instead of a mandatory formal night dress code, why not have an "optional" formal night event in a designated area of the ship with a strict dress code. For example have early dining tropical attire night in MDR and late dining formal (or vice versa). I'd be interested to see which one has better attendance.

Stormy, thanks but sorry but I don't think so. W is 45 and I'm a young immature 52 and we don't have kids. We are stuck in the middle. We want a vibrant relaxed atmosphere for adults but not all the kiddie attractions. Although the cracker crunchers will be present on X, its not a family oriented cruise line so exposure will be less. CCL and NCL are not for us at least at this point. Cruised on RCCL in 1998 and it was perfect for me then, but they are now also going for family demographic (compared to the 90s) and that got me interested in Celebrity. We looked at Princess and Holland but are trying X first. If it doesn't fit our style we'll find a cruise line that does.

Formal nites are usually all indoor events. What has warm weather got to do with the way we dress. I would like to see a ban on ball caps, flipflops and tank tops in any indoor venue. I started cruising X for the attire most people wear. On last weeks cruise found out their is no longer a dress code.

You chose a cruise line based on what others wear to dinner - wow!

You chose a cruise line based on what others wear to dinner - wow!

Yes well I chose X specifically because I was led to believe by their promotional material that all the male passengers used hair gel and had short back and sides haircuts. You can imagine how shocked I was when I arrived on board to find that all manners of hair styles were on display. Many men refused to wear hair gel at all and a large proportion of them were deliberately flouting the rules of good taste and decorum by parting their hair on the right, or even growing their hair past their collars.

I even saw some men who had deliberately shaved their hair very short which caused no end of confusion because I assumed at first that they were crew.

I will be trying Cunard next because I have been told that they strictly enforce the grey bouffant look for their male passengers and this suits me far better as I pass rapidly through middle-age.