Question for Techies

SixOneTwo

I'm a regular sailor on Celebrity, but I'm not mobile-tech-savvy and I don't use technology onboard, other than the ship's own computers. I understand the limitations of being online at sea...but not the details of how you'll be charged by your carrier. Now I'm advising my boss on taking his devices with him and need some help. I've already informed him that he needs to buy and internet package and work with the computer lab to configure his devices to use on board.

1. When you use an iPad to access the ship's internet service in a foreign country (South America), is it technically FOREIGN coverage? Or is it domestic since the ships are based in the US (assuming they might be using a domestic carrier to provide service)?

2. Similarly, if you use an iPhone for calls TO or FROM THE SHIP (not in port), are you using foreign or domestic coverage?

The user's carrier is Verizon. I'd really appreciate some education on this matter so I can look super smart, and not have to deal with a gigantic expense report when the trip is over. :)

Verizon has a section on their website that will walk you through the costs of using your mobile phone on a cruise ship - but this doesn't include what the ship will charge you per minute for usage:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

When you're on the ship it's not domestic or international - it's cruise ship (unless you are close enough to the US shoreline to still connect to a land tower). You use their satellite so you pay their fees.

Occasionally I have to use my phone when we're on a cruise. I'll use it only when we're onshore - and then I pay just the international roaming charges (Verizon's charges). Once you're on the ship you will pay international roaming PLUS the ship's charge.

I turn data roaming off on my phone as soon as we get on the ship. Last year I left my phone on for 10 hours and had a $25 hit just from Verizon ... and all I did was have emails load into the list. Didn't open one of them.

Edited by JanineM

I'm a regular sailor on Celebrity, but I'm not mobile-tech-savvy and I don't use technology onboard, other than the ship's own computers. I understand the limitations of being online at sea...but not the details of how you'll be charged by your carrier. Now I'm advising my boss on taking his devices with him and need some help. I've already informed him that he needs to buy and internet package and work with the computer lab to configure his devices to use on board.

1. When you use an iPad to access the ship's internet service in a foreign country (South America), is it technically FOREIGN coverage? Or is it domestic since the ships are based in the US (assuming they might be using a domestic carrier to provide service)?

You are just using the SHIP'S WiFi and it will not matter if it is in a foreign country or not. You will be charged the same amount through Celebrity.

2. Similarly, if you use an iPhone for calls TO or FROM THE SHIP (not in port), are you using foreign or domestic coverage?

That will be foreign using their roaming rates.

The user's carrier is Verizon. I'd really appreciate some education on this matter so I can look super smart, and not have to deal with a gigantic expense report when the trip is over. :)

Basically you should turn off roaming for your data as that would be VERY expensive if you use it without WiFi.

There are two ways to use data on a smartphone or cellular enabled tablet: Wifi service and celluar data.

Wifi service - Wifi service on the ship is billed at $0.75/minute and is billed to your on-board account through the ship. There are discounts available for purchases of blocks of time in advance, for example a 90 minute package for $50. You can set up your tablet or phone for these at the ship's internet café. They'll have a small brochure there with instructions and the staff can help you as well. Many people also make use of land based wifi services at ports of call that they might find at local restaurants, cruise terminals, and other internet cafes as these are generally lower cost and higher quality than the ship's wifi and sometimes free. The ship's wifi service is usually very slow and spotty at best. One good thing about wifi service is you can not incur charges for it accidently as you must log into the system in order to access it - but you can incur additional charges unintentionally if you forget to log out of the system when you are finished so do remember to log out.

Cellular data - Cellular data on the ship and at ports outside of the USA are not included in your home plan. Exception is that some carriers include US territories including Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Croix. Use of cellular data on the ship and at foreign ports is called "data roaming". Cellular data through data roaming is billed through your wireless provider and not the ship. Your phone or tablet will have a switch some place in the settings to turn data roaming off, and the default position is usually off. This is because data roaming is expensive and if you do not have a data roaming package it is extremely expensive. Most carriers have different data roaming rates for use on the ship and on foreign land. If you plan on using data roaming you need to contact your home wireless provider in advance to learn the rates and packages available and to buy a package if you so choose. While some of the providers include ship board service in some packages my impression is that the ship board cellular data at sea does not work very well. But we've had good results with a land based data roaming package. We'll typically buy a small package and use it pre/post cruise for European cruises and when we are at ports of call on all cruises.

It is very important to know how to turn data roaming on and off on your phone or tablet. You want to make sure this is set to off if you do not have a package. Even if you do arrange a data roaming package you want to leave this in the off position when not using the data and just turn it on when you need to use your phone or tablet for cellular data and then off again when finished. If you have a package you should also learn how to find the setting that shows the amount of data used and use that screen to monitor the use of your package.

Edited by Lsimon

Any use of the ship's comms is by satellite, which means it is expensive, slow and flakey.

For data, using an iPad or laptop you just buy a package as others have outlined. It's wise to minmise the connected time by, for example, downlaoding e-mails, sorting out replies and new mails off-line, then re-connecting to send them on their way. For phone use, you have to have roaming enabled, but the prices per minute will make your eyes bleed. Be very careful about firing up the phone when out at sea and always check which provider shows up as connected on your phone when close to land.

When in port, any port, you can connect to a local network and charges are as per your home provider's roaming charges for that company. You can usually find free WiFi in port, usually by looking for crew members hunched over a laptop, trying to make a cup of coffee last for ages.

Edited by Chunky2219

First, before heading to the airport:

IPAD:

1) make sure auto program update is off (it's probably on so you have to change it). You don't want the ipad updating software on the ship's link.

2) set the ipad to airplane mode...and then turn on wifi. You do not want it doing anything over the phone lines....only when on-board, using the ship's wifi.

3) find a mail package that will download the body of your mail, not just the subject lines...and make sure it works at home. Practice getting mail, signing off, responding to mail offline, then sending the mail. This is critical to keeping cost down.

4) Explain that you have to sign on to the ship's internet (using the browser if not automatically prompted) and then you have to sign off the ship's internet....DON"T just close the computer. The computer center will create an icon to click on to sign you off. Wait for confirmation that you actually have been signed off before you close the computer. Re-read this item every 1/2 hour until you have memorized it.

5) buy at least a 90 minute package which brings the cost down to a little under 50 cents a minute.

6) plan on taking the ipad on shore and using starbucks or the local equivalent for wifi where you can go internet crazy and use skype to phone home, etc. This is one time on a cruise that I regret not having an ipad mini.

7) reread item 4 above. I keep saying this because it is the number one problem ..people don't log out, and the network thinks you are still online (and bills you).

Phones are different....I've found the best place for my phone is in the safe, power off...where it stays until I get home. If you insist on making receiving calls, just turn it on, turn data off...let me repeat....turn data off....and use the phone. If you need data on your phone, take it with you to starbucks and update it there. You do not want to update anything on your phone using the cell network.

Do NOT use the terminals in the internet lounge unless you must browse the internet...and if you feel that urge, I suggest you go to the nearest bar and order a martini instead. It will cost far less and you'll feel much better when you get you bill.

Edited by ghstudio

... Similarly, if you use an iPhone for calls TO or FROM THE SHIP (not in port), are you using foreign or domestic coverage?

Regular Cell Phone service on the ship (as opposed to the data use I described above) is in a category of it's own. It is similar to foreign coverage but the rates are a bit different. Calls to or from your cell phone while at sea are $2.50/minute. Text messages are $0.50 for outgoing and $0.05 for incoming. Details are on Verizon's web site and they have a nice planner to figure everything out: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

ATT Rates are here: http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise

For other carriers you should check their web site or call customer service for rates as these vary by carrier.

Lsimon - Excellent explanation, Larry! Thank you. :)

You are welcome and thanks for the comment.

Excellent advice from ghstudio and Lsimon.

I get a lot of email daily (not junk mail) that I don't want to read when cruising. To save the additional time that it would take to download them, I have created a cruise email account and only open that one when aboard. As others have suggested, I log off, prepare replies and log on again when ready to send.

DW and I have a small number of family members and friends, plus the dog's kennel and a few other important contacts that we will receive email from at this cruise account. We simply set up a rule in our regular account for each person's email to be forwarded to our cruise account. Works like a charm and significantly reduces our ship's wifi time.

When in port, we'll download our other emails if we choose to, just in case there's a notification that we've just won a lottery and need to respond within a few days! :)

In addition to all the great advice, I would note that Verizon offers a $25 per 100 MB of data option. I purchase that in order to use my iphone while in port. If you exceed 100 MB, they will automatically renew it. Much cheaper rate than if you do it without the package and inadvertently download data or mail. Note that iMessage is a data user to other Apple products and that google maps (or any other mapping program) is a huge data hog.

Jerry

In addition to all the great advice, I would note that Verizon offers a $25 per 100 MB of data option. I purchase that in order to use my iphone while in port. If you exceed 100 MB, they will automatically renew it. Much cheaper rate than if you do it without the package and inadvertently download data or mail. Note that iMessage is a data user to other Apple products and that google maps (or any other mapping program) is a huge data hog.

Jerry

I think it's a heck of a lot cheaper and faster to sit at a coffee shop that offers wifi. You can skype and facetime, etc.

Excellent advice from fouremco....set up a cruise email account and only give it to your friends, etc. If you have extra time on your hands, many email systems allow you to set up rules to forward or forward a copy of emails based on sender, subject, etc...to that cruise email. I've never gone that far, but it's not hard to set up. I do have a special cruise account...but I wind up downloading my DW's mail anyway. My mail with all the daily helpful stuff from cruise TA's, shopping sites, discount sites, ED/sex toy sites, unclaimed bank accounts found from distant/unknown relatives in africa, etc, etc gets downloaded at the wifi cafes.

Edited by ghstudio

Of course it's cheaper to go to a hotspot, but not always convenient while on vacation. Don't want to take time away from the vacation activities to get free Internet if all it costs is $25 to avoid the search. It just depends on where you balance personally balance cost and convenience. Also, checked the Verizon site and it appears St. Thomas is $1.99 per minute for voice, but it indicates data is "domestic".

I have an I-phone 5 and last year just used it to take pictures and so I think I remember I just put it on airplane mode and didn't use it for anything else and incurred no charges. Or do I have to turn WiFi off? This time I want to be able to receive and send text messages (Verizon) so do I have to do something different? Sorry, getting old I guess, this stuff is getting ahead of me.

IPAD: Thank you for these tips, but I am confused about some of them.

I have an iPad, and have traveled on 3-4 cruises with it. I don't remember having to do steps 1 or 2. I am a fairly knew user.

1) make sure auto program update is off (it's probably on so you have to change it). You don't want the ipad updating software on the ship's link.

Where is Auto Program located on the iPad. Perhaps mine is off already. Is this for Apps, as well?

2) set the ipad to airplane mode...and then turn on wifi. You do not want it doing anything over the phone lines....only when on-board, using the ship's wifi.

Phone lines...what phone lines and how could it do anything on phone lines?

I have never put my iPad on airplane mode, or again, perhaps it was already on. So, I went to check it out. It was set to off. My WiFi is always on at home, which it was when I checked. However, when I turned on to airplane mode, my WiFi went off. I have an option to turn it on with airplane mode on. Why is that? :o:confused:

3) find a mail package that will download the body of your mail, not just the subject lines...and make sure it works at home. Practice getting mail, signing off, responding to mail offline, then sending the mail. This is critical to keeping cost down.

Any suggestions for a mail package program?

Regular Cell Phone service on the ship (as opposed to the data use I described above) is in a category of it's own. It is similar to foreign coverage but the rates are a bit different. Calls to or from your cell phone while at sea are $2.50/minute. Text messages are $0.50 for outgoing and $0.05 for incoming. Details are on Verizon's web site and they have a nice planner to figure everything out: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

ATT Rates are here: http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?cruise

For other carriers you should check their web site or call customer service for rates as these vary by carrier.

You are welcome and thanks for the comment.

Turn off cellular data and you will only be able to get voice and texts. However, if u get a call or go to voicemail you will be charged.

I am getting ready to activate my new iPhone. I have no business getting one, but thought the texting would be easier than my flip phone. :D :o So do I need Data ON to text? I do not want to get Voice or calls.

I remember my brother using one last year to text and make/receive calls when my sister was ill. He DID NOT buy a plan from the ship. He bought something from Verizon, but instead of his smartphone, they gave him a loaner. Not sure why.

Edited by Iamthesea

Any use of the ship's comms is by satellite, which means it is expensive, slow and flakey.

For data, using an iPad or laptop you just buy a package as others have outlined. It's wise to minmise the connected time by, for example, downlaoding e-mails, sorting out replies and new mails off-line, then re-connecting to send them on their way. For phone use, you have to have roaming enabled, but the prices per minute will make your eyes bleed. Be very careful about firing up the phone when out at sea and always check which provider shows up as connected on your phone when close to land.

When in port, any port, you can connect to a local network and charges are as per your home provider's roaming charges for that company. You can usually find free WiFi in port, usually by looking for crew members hunched over a laptop, trying to make a cup of coffee last for ages.

Just be careful what WIFI host you find. It could be a phishing site that collects user names and passwords. No No to financial transactions overseas.

IPAD: Thank you for these tips, but I am confused about some of them.

I have an iPad, and have traveled on 3-4 cruises with it. I don't remember having to do steps 1 or 2. I am a fairly knew user.

Where is Auto Program located on the iPad. Perhaps mine is off already. Is this for Apps, as well?

Phone lines...what phone lines and how could it do anything on phone lines?

I have never put my iPad on airplane mode, or again, perhaps it was already on. So, I went to check it out. It was set to off. My WiFi is always on at home, which it was when I checked. However, when I turned on to airplane mode, my WiFi went off. I have an option to turn it on with airplane mode on. Why is that? :o:confused:

Any suggestions for a mail package program?

I am getting ready to activate my new iPhone. I have no business getting one, but thought the texting would be easier than my flip phone. :D :o So do I need Data ON to text? I do not want to get Voice or calls.

I remember my brother using one last year to text and make/receive calls when my sister was ill. He DID NOT buy a plan from the ship. He bought something from Verizon, but instead of his smartphone, they gave him a loaner. Not sure why.

iMessage, the text app on an iPhone, defaults to using data when it connects to another Apple device. Just change the setting to send as sms and you will not need data to send texts and receive texts.

I think it's a heck of a lot cheaper and faster to sit at a coffee shop that offers wifi. You can skype and facetime, etc..../QUOTE]

This is probably true but we usually don't want to devote much time off the ship, in port, for doing email and such. As I said above we usually buy a small data roaming package for the ipad similar to what alcman uses - they're much less expensive than they used to be. I love sitting on our stateroom veranda with my morning coffee checking up on email and world events while pulling into port. Especially fun at ports where there are mega yachts around as you can google the mega yachts names and quickly find lots of info about them.

I have an I-phone 5 and last year just used it to take pictures and so I think I remember I just put it on airplane mode and didn't use it for anything else and incurred no charges. Or do I have to turn WiFi off? This time I want to be able to receive and send text messages (Verizon) so do I have to do something different? Sorry, getting old I guess, this stuff is getting ahead of me.

If you put your iPhone in airplane mode you can not get text messages even if you put wifi back on. As long as you make sure data roaming is turned off you will not get out of area data roaming charges.

Note that the only way to have text messages on results in general phone service being on as well so you will incur charges if someone calls you even if the call goes to voicemail. We don't get many calls on our cell phones so it isn't an issue for us.

It really is not hard to find and set the data roaming switch. Here is the screen on an iPhone 5 running IOS7. You will find this screen by opening the "Settings" app and then clicking on "Cellular". The red arrow I added is pointing to the Data Roaming switch wich is in the off position in this screen shot.

i-KNnL4xg-M.jpg

Edited by Lsimon

So I don't have to wade through a lot of non-priority emails and ones with large attachments I don't need, I have a co-worker forward me email I really have to see while gone. I get a new gmail or yahoo address and give it to them and it makes checking important work easier to see and respond to.

I'll get on line and open my server and download the mail. Then I'll read and respond to them, and then get back online and send them. No reading and editing online.

And yes, I know I'm on vacation, but my line of work requires some access. And I Do love to go on extended cruises of B2Bs and the like.

Den

Most ships use celluar at sea, and there has not been an issue of service.

A few ships use "onwaves" Its been reported that At&t does not have an agreement with them so phone service does not work. I am not sure if Verizon does. So check with verizon to see if the ship you are sailing on has service. I know last year there was issues with verizon and onwaves.

Onwaves is used on Eclipse, Silhouette and Reflection.

Edited by Bosjoe