Cunard Platinum Member on a Celebrity Cruise

icydog

Will they accept my Cunard Platinum status on Celebrity? If so, will they afford me the same status as the elites on Celebrity? Will they throw me a bone? Will they do anything? Thanks.

I'm not sure why you think they would/should? If you were platinum with United Airlines would you expect to get an upgrade on Delta?

Status from RCCL and Azamara, owned by the same corporation, transfer over to Celebrity ships, but I have never heard that status with a competitor would be of any benefit.

Will they accept my Cunard Platinum status on Celebrity? If so, will they afford me the same status as the elites on Celebrity? Will they throw me a bone? Will they do anything? Thanks.

Cunard is part of the Carnival Corporation of cruise lines; Celebrity is part of the Royal Caribbean family of cruise lines, so as stated you should not expect any kind of reciprocal benefit.

I believe what the OP is asking is if there is any upgrade of status for switching loyalty from Cunard. Airlines do this all the time, as a United 1K 2M Miler, I can switch to American and have my status from United transferred to American (but I have to show I flew AMERICAN to have made the status). That being said, the cruise lines do not do this.

Edited by avalon1025

The programs are not reciprocal. I would love it if Cunard accepted my RCCL or Celebrity status for sailing benefits. I am not familiar with Cunard's status program and do not know what is needed to reach this level. Is Platinum status the highest, similar to Celebrity Zenith?

Is it the same as Plat. on Carnival, or a different program?

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Carnival Cruise Lines does not extend loyalty reciprocity within their own family of brands [Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn]...

Goofy as the reciprocity issues can sometimes seem--it's a source of frequent comment here--within the Azamara, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean family of brands, at least they address loyalty recognition--in my opinion with some thoughtfulness--to both individual brands and across the broader Corporation......

Thankfully not :D

Why do you say that? I just got back from a 15 night Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Victoria and I had an unbelievably good time. The service and food were exceptional. Can Celebrity be as good? I sincerely hope so. This will be my first Celebrity cruse.

Carnival Cruise Lines does not extend loyalty reciprocity within their own family of brands [Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Holland America, Princess, and Seabourn]...

Goofy as the reciprocity issues can sometimes seem--it's a source of frequent comment here--within the Azamara, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean family of brands, at least they address loyalty recognition--in my opinion with some thoughtfulness--to both individual brands and across the broader Corporation......

There is a bit of reciprocity between Princess & P&O, but this is due to their life before Carnival, strangely Princess continues to allow P&O cruises to add to your Captains circle points, but no longer vice versa.

They will give you a glass of champaign when you board the ship but be sure to wear a lanyard dispalying a recent Cunard Cabin card showing your status on that line.

I am sure this thread is meant to be a joke so I am playing along and adding some fuel to the fire.

.💨🍻🍸

They will give you a glass of champaign when you board the ship but be sure to wear a lanyard dispalying a recent Cunard Cabin card showing your status on that line.

I am sure this thread is meant to be a joke so I am playing along and adding some fuel to the fire.

Actually I don't think it's a joke, I think the OP thought that Celebrity was under the Carnival umbrella which includes Cunard. But he/she has certainly been informed now;)

icydog--DebbieMacG's "Thankfully not" comment was not aimed at Cunard, but at Carnival, considered by many to be at the bottom of the ladder for various reasons. At the risk of sounding like a cruise snob, it has always amazed me that a traditionally classy line like Cunard would be under the Carnival umbrella. There are probably millions of commited Carnival cruisers who will howl at my comments. So be it.

My first clue about Carnival was when my TA, also my step-sister, was helping plan our first cruise. The first thing she said was, "Well, you don't want Carnival". That was all I needed to hear. A few years ago, a friend of mine won a 5-night Carnival cruise and when she came back I asked her how it went. She said, half-heartedly, "It was nice. It was good." I said, "You don't sound very enthusiastic." She told me the food wasn't very good, the service was not good and the 24 hr noise level was totally annoying. She told me she would go on Carnival again if she won another cruise, but would never pay for one. She had sailed Princess (another one owned by Carnival) and RCCL.

I've done 4 RCCL and 11 Celebrity cruises with the 12th coming up in 10 days on Silhouette. I stick to those lines because, as the quaint old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

icydog--DebbieMacG's "Thankfully not" comment was not aimed at Cunard, but at Carnival, considered by many to be at the bottom of the ladder for various reasons. At the risk of sounding like a cruise snob, it has always amazed me that a traditionally classy line like Cunard would be under the Carnival umbrella. There are probably millions of commited Carnival cruisers who will howl at my comments. So be it.

My first clue about Carnival was when my TA, also my step-sister, was helping plan our first cruise. The first thing she said was, "Well, you don't want Carnival". That was all I needed to hear. A few years ago, a friend of mine won a 5-night Carnival cruise and when she came back I asked her how it went. She said, half-heartedly, "It was nice. It was good." I said, "You don't sound very enthusiastic." She told me the food wasn't very good, the service was not good and the 24 hr noise level was totally annoying. She told me she would go on Carnival again if she won another cruise, but would never pay for one. She had sailed Princess (another one owned by Carnival) and RCCL.

I've done 4 RCCL and 11 Celebrity cruises with the 12th coming up in 10 days on Silhouette. I stick to those lines because, as the quaint old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I guess people still do not realize that there is a big difference between Carnival Corp and Carnival Cruise Line.

Why do you say that? I just got back from a 15 night Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Victoria and I had an unbelievably good time. The service and food were exceptional. Can Celebrity be as good? I sincerely hope so. This will be my first Celebrity cruse.

I say that because I believe that some of the cruise lines that were taken over by Carnival have seen standards decline since that take-over, i.e they were better before. This information is based on personal family experience the experience of friends and from what I've read on forums and in the media.

I wouldn't want Carnival to buy Celebrity. It's as simple as that, I like it the way it is and wouldn't want it to change.

We have friends who have only cruised Cunard, they love Cunard, they like Celebrity but not as much because they don't find Celebrity formal enough for them, they like to dress up more for dinner.

In the end it's all personal choice. I hope you have a great cruise! :)

I guess people still do not realize that there is a big difference between Carnival Corp and Carnival Cruise Line.
Just as don't even try to convince people on the Royal Caribbean board that RCCL and RCI are not identical.
I say that because I believe that some of the cruise lines that were taken over by Carnival have seen standards decline since that take-over, i.e they were better before...
Of course, there has never been discussion on the Celebrity board about declining standards on Celebrity:rolleyes: With the quite significant drop in prices for cruises in inflation adjusted prices, it is not surprising that standards of food, etc have declined (but IMO prices have dropped more than quality).

Thom

I sometimes wonder if they ever regret using the same name for the two entities given the constant confusion. The more upscale Carnival Corp. brands get saddled with any issues CCL has (plenty recently), and CCL was unfairly targeted when Costa Concordia sunk and some media started (disingenuiously) screaming CARNIVAL SHIP SINKS! ...obviously conflating Carnival Corp. with Carnival Cruise Line.

Otherwise, OP's question has been answered.

Just as don't even try to convince people on the Royal Caribbean board that RCCL and RCI are not identical.Of course, there has never been discussion on the Celebrity board about declining standards on Celebrity:rolleyes: With the quite significant drop in prices for cruises in inflation adjusted prices, it is not surprising that standards of food, etc have declined (but IMO prices have dropped more than quality).

Thom

Yes you are correct but I'm talking from personal experience and the experience of people I know, not what's just written on a forum. Whilst some things on Celebrity have changed it's not enough to warrant my concern, however the issues on Cunard and P&O are for example about the declining level of service which would bother me.

As I said its all personal preference, people prefer different cruise lines for different reasons :)

Interesting multi-thread, thread.

It's unfortunate that neither RCI nor Carnival Corp are willing to aggregate their frequent cruiser credits from all of their brands. If that were the case my Reflection cruise on 3/29 would be our 13th on RCI. I would also have 12 cruises on Carnival Corp but only 1 on CCL. I think it would really benefit the corporations by building corporate loyalty in addition to brand

I also am reading a lot of Carnival bashing on the Celebrity board. Now come the flame throwers. In all truth, our last Celebrity cruise in 2010 was on the 2nd S ship. Both me and DW were totally underwhelmed by the ship and the food. In 2011 we took the DGKs (5 and 8) on Carnival Pride. Excellent food and service. Possibly because of lots of families we didn't see any drunks passed out in the lobby or on deck. The Reflection looked so beautiful that we are trying X again and hoping for the best.

Each of these brands deliver a good product in their particular niche and meet the needs and expectations of their customers.

I think it would really benefit the corporations by building corporate loyalty in addition to brand

My family has always felt the same way. While none of the non-CCL Carnival Corp. brands appeal to my wife and I, my parents would have definitely tried Princess if they had reciprocal benefits from all of their CCL cruises. They tried HAL without them, but weren't so overwhelmed with the product that they'd continue to sail HAL when they already have great past guest benefits with RCI/Celebrity.

Guess it works for them though (??). I think RCI/X/Azamara have it right.

If you book a Celebrity suite or above, they usually throw in the Elite perks, but other than a few free drinks, some internet time and some laundry, its not very exciting, really.....The ships and the staff are why we return, not the loyalty club.