multi tool onboard?

Is it legal? NO

Do I take mine? YES

Have I lost it? NO, however I am very careful in how I pack it in checked bag.

Traveled much of this planet and always take multitool.

Now days I always take two one in my wives checked bag, and one in mine. I had mine confiscated in Port Everglades once, actually had two of them with different functions, both had knifes, but one had a knife with a 3" blade and the other ones blade was 2.5" they gave it me back the smaller one on inspection, and gave me the other at debarkation.

Strange rule, a stolen streak knife can do as much harm.

Edited by north29

Last year DH took his Leatherman in his checked luggage. The luggage was not delivered to the stateroom. He has to come to the room where all confiscated items and luggages were hold, had to sign a paper and the stuff didn't handed the Leatherman until disembarcation.

Strange rule, a stolen streak knife can do as much harm.

Very good point. Not to mention a broken beer bottle or a hundred other things available on the ship.

I would say stupid, not strange rule :rolleyes:

Yes they may spot a leatherman in a bag and take it away. I guess they're afraid someone could hijack a cruise ship with a 2.5" knife.......................:rolleyes:

why?

Why do you care why I want to know?

I will tell you anyway, if it is not apparent to you.

So many people eagerly posted on this thread that they bring these tools, some of them bringing more than one.

Why do they want them? How do they use them? What is the point?

I know why someone wants to bring a bottle of wine on board: to drink it.

I know why someone wants to bring a power strip on board: to charge more than two things at a time.

Now I want to know why someone wants to bring one of these tools on board.

Capisce?

I would love to see a list of postings now about how people have used these tools while on their cruise when nothing else would have done the job.
Me too

why?
Because I personally can't see the point of taking or trying to conceal a tool that contains a knife and is therefore on the list of prohibited items because it'll be of no use to you if it gets confiscated and only returned to you when you disembark, so what's point of taking it in the first place? JMHO Edited by peteukmcr

I would love to see a list of postings now about how people have used these tools while on their cruise when nothing else would have done the job.

My DH, the eagle scout, carries a little swiss army knife everyday. I actually just had to remind him to take it out of his pocket and leave it in his car or else TSA might catch it as he is on his way to the airport now. If he were checking luggage, which he never does on a business trip, he would have a multitool with him.

When we travel on vacation, he always packs a multitool just in case he needs to fix something. He has used it to tighten loose screws on luggage. He has also been known to tighten a loose screw in a hotel room or a cabin it something was rattling. Yes, he could call and have someone call and fix it but sometimes it is just easier to do it yourself.

After 25 years of marriage, the boy scout motto is just not worth fighting anymore.:eek::p

Considering all the carnival ships breaking down, it may just come in handy...

unless it's a damn big multi-tool the knife is pretty much worthless anyway. the real use comes with the pliers, screw drivers, scissors and small sockets. frankly if anyone was planning evil with a multi-tool they would be better off heading up to the WJ and getting some silverware. being without a multi-tool for guys is the equivalent of women without a nail-file or a hair dryer.

Leathermen (so I assume others) make a multi without a knife just for folks who travel.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831488-Style-PS-Multitool/dp/B0058RX9NU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Leatherman 831488 Style PS Multitool

TSA-Compliant Design

Spring-action Regular Pliers, Spring-action Needlenose Pliers, Spring-action Wire Cutters

Flat/Phillips Screwdriver,

Nail File, Tweezers

Carabineer/Bottle Opener

Leatherman%20Style%20PS%20Travel%20Friendly%20Multi%20Tool.jpg

Edited by Sherlock43031

A pp has already started the list you requested , and I'll add one or two. Like the pp, I've used my little swiss army knife to tighten the occasional loose screw. I've frequently used the corkscrew, and the scissor or knife attachment is very handy for removing cable ties that I use in lieu of a luggage lock. I've eve been known to use it to peel and slice an apple, in my cabin.

Could I have gotten the necessary tools on board by asking for them? Of course. But sometimes you don't want to wait for an hour (or more).

It could come in handy if you needed to remove a stone from a horse's hoof while onboard.

Don't these things always have a gadget for removing stones from horses' hooves?

;) :)

Because I personally can't see the point of taking or trying to conceal a tool that contains a knife and is therefore on the list of prohibited items because it'll be of no use to you if it gets confiscated and only returned to you when you disembark, so what's point of taking it in the first place? JMHO

I've fixed eyeglasses with the screw driver, repaired necklace clasps with the pliers on ships, and my record of *consecutive* hotel rooms that needed something tightened, loosened, repaired, trimmed, or adjusted is six. And I have a Leatherman PS for TSA-screened travel. No knife blade; scissors instead.

I always have my tiny Swiss Army knife in my toiletry bag. I've sometimes used the tweezers (lost the toothpick years ago), but have used the little scissors a lot! So that's why it travels with me--for the scissors and in my checked bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the multi-tool I bring onboard in my travel case. I've never had a problem and have done so for at least 20 cruises. That's a US quarter in the shot and the knife blade is a lethal 7/8 inch long.:p

attachment.php?attachmentid=298945&d=1389848246

DSC09012.jpg.61aff1e010b9dae519ef65f5639b79f9.jpg

Edited by robtulipe