Food on an Alaskan Cruise

lovetotraveltx

I know the itinerary is the primary factor when choosing your cruise to Alaska.

However, my husband and I are foodies and would like good food as well, if possible. We realize it's mass produced food, but looking for quality, most choices...

Assuming the itineraries are the same, if you've been on more than 1 of the cruise lines below, (these currently go to Glacier Bay),

Can you choose your favorite for dining and why, I appreciate the comments! I know it's personal preference, just curious how it goes.

1. Princess

2. NCL

3. HAL

Thank you!

The menu doesn't change dramatically location to location on any of the those cruise lines. Yes, there may be regional treats- lots more salmon in Alaska, for example, but not major changes. So if you sailed on any of those lines in the Caribbean in January, and Alaska in July, the menu will be more similar than different.

As you asked, I would rate the food HAL, Princess, NCL, although we have not eaten at the extra charge restaurants on NCL.

I have not been on Princess and have not gone to Alaska. However, I have been on HAL many times and NCL three times-the last time a couple of years ago to Bermuda. The food is much better on HAL and is more expensive. The food on NCL was good, but was alot of lower cost items-lots of chicken and the much cheaper kinds of seafood. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the food on NCL, but it was not as good and less gourmet.

I know the itinerary is the primary factor when choosing your cruise to Alaska.

However, my husband and I are foodies and would like good food as well, if possible. We realize it's mass produced food, but looking for quality, most choices...

Assuming the itineraries are the same, if you've been on more than 1 of the cruise lines below, (these currently go to Glacier Bay),

Can you choose your favorite for dining and why, I appreciate the comments! I know it's personal preference, just curious how it goes.

1. Princess

2. NCL

3. HAL

Thank you!

We have sailed Alaska on all 3 of those cruise lines.

1. HAL -- more offerings

2. Princess -- average food

3. NCL -- we hated the few choices they had -- seemed like if you didn't eat the offerings at one meal, you find it offered at lunch, etc.

Princess: The food is hit or miss. Some things were awful and other things were great. The main dining rooms were REALLY hit or miss. Buffet was almost always a miss with the exception of breakfast. The best food on Princess were on the grills outside where they served fresh burgers, hot dogs and pizza.

NCL: I sailed with them in 2000 so I don't remember it well... But I do recall it wasn't that great either.

HAL: Haven't sailed with them yet (will this summer) but a friend of mine who is a foodie swears by HAL. She will not cruise with any other line. She says she loves their food.

1. Princess

2. NCL

3. HAL

Thank you!

IMO, Princess has really improved in the past couple of years. Two years ago we enjoyed dining in three different restaurants, each with its own type of food..................and, the buffet was always open as well.

On our ONE NCL cruise, we had not one bite of seafood on the entire cruise....the whole cruise was truly AWFUL............not to mention the tiny cabins and plastic dishes in the "buffet." I wouldn't take an NCL cruise if it was free BUT my TA says they have a new group running them and they have improved.

Last year (again) HAL had seafood at every dinner plus the Far North buffet out by the pool one day; perhaps it was the day in G.B. On that day, they always have every type of seafood imaginable. I go so often, I can't remember.

Plus, I love the section of the menu that says, "Availably Any Time" because a shrimp cocktail is always on it................huge prawns. My daughter is a wimpy eater and she loves just getting a steak each night, but we could do that on Princess as well.

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!

Seems the same Sysco Food Supply truck pulls up for all of them and unloads the frozen seafood according to the dining room manager we chatted with on a Crystal Alaska cruise a few years ago.

Gary

We, on the other hand, have seen deliveries of frozen salmon in various Alaska ports, and last summer, in Bergen, Norway, as well. Not from a Sysco truck.