Smart Casual and Casual

SaskMommy

We are taking our first cruise on the Allure in March(Eastern Caribbean). While I know that formal night dress code seems to be a much debated topic on these forums, I'm more unsure of the other nights(expected formal wear is much easier to define I think!). When we're talking casual, how casual is ok? Like would someone be able to come to dinner in shorts and a tank top for example, or whatever they were wearing earlier that day? The smart casual confuses me a lot more lol! What exactly is accepted in this category? Thanks!

We are taking our first cruise on the Allure in March(Eastern Caribbean). While I know that formal night dress code seems to be a much debated topic on these forums, I'm more unsure of the other nights(expected formal wear is much easier to define I think!). When we're talking casual, how casual is ok? Like would someone be able to come to dinner in shorts and a tank top for example, or whatever they were wearing earlier that day? The smart casual confuses me a lot more lol! What exactly is accepted in this category? Thanks!

Even though the suggestions are different, on board, they are both the same IMHO. There really isnt a lot of difference in casual night and smart casual night. You just wont see a lot of jackets and ties for men and dresses for women on smart casual night like is listed in the suggestions.

Shorts are generally the one thing they will turn you away for during dinner. A man wearing a tank top will be turned away no matter what dining time it is.

Edited by ryano

Even though the suggestions are different, on board, they are both the same IMHO. There really isnt a lot of difference in casual night and smart casual night. You just wont see a lot of jackets and ties for men and dresses for women on smart casual night like is listed in the suggestions.

Shorts are generally the one thing they will turn you away for during dinner. A man wearing a tank top will be turned away no matter what dining time it is.

You are probably right. Some of us remember when smart casual was followed by many cruisers. But now many consider smart casual as an adequate substitute for formal and casual a substitute for smart casual. Just a slight shift in an every changing society.

Thank you for the input! While I have read the suggestions on the RCCL website, I wanted to know what is more accurate in reality. So if someone wore, for example, jeans and a t-shirt on a casual night, would that be acceptable? And what about the kids? We have three daughters and our little one(who is going to be just shy of 3 during the cruise), is very opinionated about what she wears. Do they enforce the dress code with littles as well? I can imagine her insisting on shorts :P

So if someone wore, for example, jeans and a t-shirt on a casual night, would that be acceptable?

Yes :)

And as far enforcement goes, its almost non existant on board. Very few things will they enforce when it comes to dress. Like I said, a man wearing a tank top can expect to go change no matter what dining time it is. Shorts generally arent allowed during dinner. I doubt they would ever say anything to a child though.

Yes :)

And as far enforcement goes, its almost non existant on board. Very few things will they enforce when it comes to dress. Like I said, a man wearing a tank top can expect to go change no matter what dining time it is. Shorts generally arent allowed during dinner. I doubt they would ever say anything to a child though.

Thanks so much!:D

We are taking our first cruise on the Allure in March(Eastern Caribbean)....The smart casual confuses me a lot more lol! What exactly is accepted in this category? Thanks!

On Allure and Oasis, and probably most if not all Caribbean cruises, there are no longer Smart Casual nights. You will have 2 formal nights with the rest as casual. SC seems to have fallen by the wayside, but you can still find them on some itineraries, such as Med cruises. I know the website says otherwise, but so many of us have done these itineraries and can vouch for what the suggested dress code was for dinner.

Anyway, don't worry about SC nights- you won't have any. Have fun. :)

On Allure and Oasis, and probably most if not all Caribbean cruises, there are no longer Smart Casual nights. You will have 2 formal nights with the rest as casual. SC seems to have fallen by the wayside, but you can still find them on some itineraries, such as Med cruises. I know the website says otherwise, but so many of us have done these itineraries and can vouch for what the suggested dress code was for dinner.

Anyway, don't worry about SC nights- you won't have any. Have fun. :)

I can't remember how many, but our Caribbean cruise (Grandeur 10-day Eastern Caribbean out of Baltimore) this Tuesday does indeed have Smart Casual nights.

Thank you for the input! While I have read the suggestions on the RCCL website, I wanted to know what is more accurate in reality. So if someone wore, for example, jeans and a t-shirt on a casual night, would that be acceptable? And what about the kids? We have three daughters and our little one(who is going to be just shy of 3 during the cruise), is very opinionated about what she wears. Do they enforce the dress code with littles as well? I can imagine her insisting on shorts :P

How about you tell your 3 yr old what she is to wear. Most likely the staff wont say anything. Common sense should though.

Why do you think RCCL publishes suggestions? No, jeans and a t-shirt are not acceptable in a $25,000,000 Main Dining Room. However, you can dress in McDonalds clothes if you eat in the Windjammer. Good luck with your little one insisting on shorts. My wife usually wears a long sleeve blouse, a wrap and she is still cold.

I can't remember how many, but our Caribbean cruise (Grandeur 10-day Eastern Caribbean out of Baltimore) this Tuesday does indeed have Smart Casual nights.

Just of GOS on 1/11/14 and there were only formal and casual nights....looks like the days of formal, smart casual and resort casual are gone:eek:

Just of GOS on 1/11/14 and there were only formal and casual nights....looks like the days of formal, smart casual and resort casual are gone:eek:

2 times in GOS in Dec... There was smart casual... And 70s Casual, tropical casual, ....

Another thing, when i wear jacket and tie in Casual, some people say to me "It's not a formal night... You should'nt wear this." ....

Why do you think RCCL publishes suggestions? No, jeans and a t-shirt are not acceptable in a $25,000,000 Main Dining Room. However, you can dress in McDonalds clothes if you eat in the Windjammer. Good luck with your little one insisting on shorts. My wife usually wears a long sleeve blouse, a wrap and she is still cold.

Just what makes jeans and t-shirts unacceptable, your narrow minded opinion? I have not seen anywhere that RCI says they are unacceptable.

I think nice shorts on small children are fine. DS (now 4) doesn't get cold like I do so he doesn't complain about the temperature. I dressed him in cute jumpers and collared shirts and thought he looked fine with the casual adults. They weren't "playclothes" but they were shorts. For formal night he wore dress shirts and khaki pants and we had on suits and cocktail dresses. There are few young kids in jackets/ties, but no one will blame you if you don't buy those things just for the cruise. What they will fault you for is the behavior of your child in the MDR!

My advise is: Please do not stress over your clothes for the MDR!!!!

Hubby was so upset after all was said and done because I stressed over all the clothes to pack.

Just the fact that you are asking this question, I KNOW you will dress just fine.

Casual can be a pair of capris with a cotton top and some cute sandals. Hubby can wear khakis and a polo. I also packed my denim skirt with various tops and sandals to add to it.

Dont worry about the 1st night. We didnt get our luggage and went in with our sweaty shorts that we boarded with and pool hair from spending the day at the pool.

Next time, we would be sure to pack clothes and toiletries to shower, etc in case our luggage didnt make it, or just go to the WJ. I think Hubby would say "go to the WJ" we love the ease of the WJ

Edited by lrn2cruise

My children were young when we started cruising. I used the MDR as an example to them before we even cruised as how to use their manners. They learned so much from cruising over the years (how fortunate they are over many in the world, how to act appropriately in many circumstances, and above all, to be respectful to everyone.) Hats and elbows do not belong on the table. Always dress respective to the occasion. They don't wear jeans to a wedding or to a formal dinner. If the dress code on the ship said smart or business casual, we do it. You can always change if you are so miserable. Parents, teach your children...before someone else does ( the wrong way) Of course being from the South, Yes ma'm and No sir, go along way. Just Saying. And thank you for reading this:)

I personally would never put my DH and I in jeans and tee shirts for the MDR. To us that inappropriate for the MDR. It's always better to be over dressed than underdressed!

On our cruise on the Independence in November, on not formal nights in the dining room, whatever they were called, people dressed nicely for dinner, very few t-shirts and jeans or shorts. I tend to wear dress pants and a nice top or blouse, or a skirt with the same nice blouses or tops, and sandals, and did not feel over-dressed. My husband and brother wore dress or khaki pants and shirts and fit in. We more or less stayed with the cruise line recommendations and so did most of the other people in the dining room.

This was way different from what I read on this site, but it was our experience. I will wear the same type of clothes on the Oasis in May. I am comfortable with myself in what I am wearing. I admit that I did notice how most people were dressed walking in and out of the dining room, but I don't worry about people who dress very casually for dinner or look down on them. Live and let live.

Just what makes jeans and t-shirts unacceptable, your narrow minded opinion? I have not seen anywhere that RCI says they are unacceptable.

If you don't understand by now you never will. So no use explaining. It's like art, either you get it or you don't.