Help Charged Platepass from Hertz :eek:

maritimer2

We just returned from Ft lauderdale/ Miami and new charge from Hertz entitled "Plate pass Hertz" for $21.30 US has appeared on my statement. Before taking the car we inquired about where not to travel to avoid this charge. Stay out of the express lanes to the right at all times they advised. GPS tracking confirms we did take the 95 in and out of Miami to Oceanview drive and we did stay to the right at all times. Anyone else had this happen since they removed the toll stations last winter and how did you deal with the rental car company?:mad:

Edited by maritimer2

We just returned from Ft lauderdale/ Miami and new charge from Hertz entitled "Plate pass Hertz" for $21.30 US has appeared on my statement. Before taking the car we inquired about where not to travel to avoid this charge. Stay out of the express lanes to the right at all times they advised. GPS tracking confirms we did take the 95 in and out of Miami to Oceanview drive and we did stay to the right at all times. Anyone else had this happen since they removed the toll stations last winter and how did you deal with the rental car company?:mad:

Most rental car companies not only charge for the tolls, but a daily rate if you use it even once. So if you go through an automatic toll once, you pay for that toll, and an additional amount for the "convenience" of not having to pay cash.

The question is did you go through some automatic toll gate where you did not pay cash? If so, then the charges are justified. There should be some statement available that states where the toll was collected.

They might credit it back if you push real hard, but how much is your time worth to get back $21.30?

GPS tracking confirms we did take the 95 in and out of Miami to Oceanview drive and we did stay to the right at all times.

It's been awhile, but I believer that I-95 is toll free thru Miami.

But, as I remember, the Florida Turnpike is not free and does not take cash in the Miami area. You must have a Sunpass or deal with billing from your license plate, which in your case has to come from Hertz.

I just booked with Hertz for our upcoming post cruise trip and noticed a statement saying they would charge you something like $25 PER day for some pass - not familiar with the toll ways down there.if you used it once.

We haven't driven down there for 8 years and I hope to find some kind of a map so I stay off those toll roads. We are heading to the gulf coast and back.

I looked at my confirmation sheet and can't believe all the extra fee they charge these days.

They asked where we were coming from and I said a cruise. I noticed a $3.95 port charge on it. I'll say my house next time.

Make sure you have everything in writing.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

and

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

"Beginning February 19, 2011, all Turnpike tolls are collected electronically between the U.S. 1 (Exit 1) and County Line Road (Exit 47) interchanges in Miami-Dade County, and cash tolls are not accepted. Motorists will use either SunPass or TOLL‑BY‑PLATE, and everyone will enjoy the benefit of paying their toll without having to stop.

SunPass is Florida’s prepaid electronic toll program. For customers without SunPass, the alternative is TOLL-BY-PLATE, a collection system that takes a photo of a vehicle’s license plate as it travels under tolling equipment installed overhead and mails a bill for the tolls incurred over a 30-day period, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, to the registered owner of the vehicle. "

additionally note that in Miami, Tampa and Orlando there are toll roads that are not part of the Florida Turnpike System. Some have manned booths (Orlando does for the most part) and others don't (Crosstown Expressway in Orlando)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_toll_roads_in_Florida

Thanks for your responses I really just wanted to know what the story is on these tolls as we are back in Florida again in 3 weeks and want to avoid these charges. These unmanned toll charges cameras whatever are a real pain.........

It might be worth giving them a call to find out the details of exactly where/when you were hit with the charge (good luck getting through). Perhaps the info by Capt_BJ will help you figure this out as well.

You can also try to look it up on one of these two sites:

https://www.platepass.com/

https://www.rentalcarticket.com/

I had the same issue however I paid the toll on-line rather than pay Hertz's additional fees. They still dinged me for the toll charge even though I have proof it was paid on-line. I'm still waiting for an official response from Hertz but if I don't receive anything this week I'll contact my credit card company.

I just booked with Hertz for our upcoming post cruise trip and noticed a statement saying they would charge you something like $25 PER day for some pass - not familiar with the toll ways down there.if you used it once.

We haven't driven down there for 8 years and I hope to find some kind of a map so I stay off those toll roads. We are heading to the gulf coast and back.

I looked at my confirmation sheet and can't believe all the extra fee they charge these days.

They asked where we were coming from and I said a cruise. I noticed a $3.95 port charge on it. I'll say my house next time.

Make sure you have everything in writing.

If you're picking up the car at the port, they'll figure it out. And charge you. It's not because you're coming from a cruise, it's the fee they charge for picking up at the port, either because they pay a fee to the state or the port authority, or it's a shuttle fee. They're not picking on you because you're a cruiser.

Check the fees for picking up at airports. Those are REAL fees.

Thanks for your responses I really just wanted to know what the story is on these tolls as we are back in Florida again in 3 weeks and want to avoid these charges. These unmanned toll charges cameras whatever are a real pain.........

A few ideas come to mind....

1. Avoid toll roads completely or

2. Talk to your rental company and get this ironed out ahean of time. Not online, but at the rental counter.

3. Read the links provided by others

4. Explore the toll payment provisions by other rental companies. Last time I looked they are not all the same.

If you ever decide to drive your own car to Florida, consider getting a Sunpass. $4.99 is an easy investment....set up with a credit card and no expiration date.

There is even a portable Sunpass (tho more $$$) that you can use in any car and take home with you for future trips.

If you're picking up the car at the port, they'll figure it out. And charge you. It's not because you're coming from a cruise, it's the fee they charge for picking up at the port, either because they pay a fee to the state or the port authority, or it's a shuttle fee. They're not picking on you because you're a cruiser.

Check the fees for picking up at airports. Those are REAL fees.

I kind of figured that might be why. It is cheaper than taking a taxi to the rental desk at the hotel so I guess it is a good thing.

We have always used a taxi to get to port so lets say we have a friend who drops us off at the ship, does every vehicle have to pay a fee to get in?

Another question:

Alligator Alley is a toll way and we plan to use it to go over and back from the gulf coast. IS it part of the Sunpass system? I think it is time I get a map and do some more research.

Thanks

I kind of figured that might be why. It is cheaper than taking a taxi to the rental desk at the hotel so I guess it is a good thing.

We have always used a taxi to get to port so lets say we have a friend who drops us off at the ship, does every vehicle have to pay a fee to get in?

Another question:

Alligator Alley is a toll way and we plan to use it to go over and back from the gulf coast. IS it part of the Sunpass system? I think it is time I get a map and do some more research.

Thanks

No charge for port drop offs. Yes for Sunpass on Alligator Alley.

Yes , virtually any highway toll in FL takes Sunpass. Even the ones around Orlando which are called something else (forgot)?

You can buy them in Publix , $15 , sticks inside your windshield , get $15 in toll credit (costs you $0 in the end for Sunpass. :)

Yes , virtually any highway toll in FL takes Sunpass. Even the ones around Orlando which are called something else (forgot)?

You can buy them in Publix , $15 , sticks inside your windshield , get $15 in toll credit (costs you $0 in the end for Sunpass. :)

I like this!;)

There are two types of transponders. The first is the portable one that can be moved from car to car since it uses suction cups to work. It is the more expensive one but can be moved from car to car with ease.

The second attaches to your windshield directly, and will not work unless it is adhered to the windshield. Although my recent rental car had that type and it basically forced it to be next to the windshield. I guess you could use some sort of packaging tape to attach the cheaper one to your rental car windshield and then remove it when you leave.

I just wish Florida would get in line with the rest of the Eastern Seaboard and use EZ Pass which works from Virginia to Maine. That way I could bring my EZ Pass and use that.

But keep in mind you do not want to use this one with a rental car since you need to peel off the sticky surface and permanently attach it to the windshield.

Great info. I think we may purchase one BUT if there is already one on the windshield can we put duct tape over it on the outside so it does not communicate with the toll booths? Hate to end up paying twice.

I think Illinois uses the EZ pass and we don't use their toll ways that much but plan to purchase one next summer so we have it if we decided to take a road trip.

nope

when the MINI came out is was $5 and you got $5 credit but that's long gone ... it still costs just $5 tho ... but "must" be stuck to the windshield to operate correctly and if removed is destroyed . . . it is just a fancy sticker with a chip in it and uses the glass as the antenna

I just bought a new 'portable' one and it was $25 ... no credit rec'd. (bought a new car and replaced a MINI version that can not be moved from car to car)

You CAN buy in Publix, CVS, and other locations ... or online ...

FL IS working to get in line with the rest of the east coast. I've had SUNPASS since 2007 and FL recently sent me a new transponder to replace my old one saying this was a step to become interoperable with the rest of the states ... Fl had actually started electronic tolling b4 most other states and as a result they ended up with a legacy system different from the other states (I had a Sunpass back in 1999 but then moved away for a while). They are making slow but steady progress. The old transponders had a battery inside and had beeps and flashing lights to tell you it had paid the toll, was refilling etc. The new ones don't talk but don't need a battery either ... basically the MINI but in a box with suction cups.

Sorry, in earlier post I meant to say CrossTown Expressway in TAMPA.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Great info. I think we may purchase one BUT if there is already one on the windshield can we put duct tape over it on the outside so it does not communicate with the toll booths? Hate to end up paying twice.

I think Illinois uses the EZ pass and we don't use their toll ways that much but plan to purchase one next summer so we have it if we decided to take a road trip.

Illinois uses the EZ Pass or the I-Pass. My parents have an I-Pass we use frequently and we pay half of what we would if we had to pull over and pay in cash, plus we just keep cruising through the tolls! Worth the 40 bucks (or whatever it is these days).

In Florida there is also "toll by plate"

on a toll road that is ALL electronic they must have an option for people w/out a transponder and that option is "toll by plate"

if the car goes thru an electronic lane and does not have a transponder a picture of the lic' plate is taken and that information is used to send a bill. This is the condensed version as there is a difference in how this happens if there were no manned lanes to pay vs an ALL ELECTRONIC. FL sends ONE BILL a month to the registered owner of the lic' plate with a $2 service charge ... PER MONTH. The S C R E W job that's occurring is how various rental companies deal with these bills from the state ... and they vary WIDELY ... BY DOLLARS ....

Read the Sunpass Rental link . . . you can pay $4 a day for boob-boos or $100 per .... depending on the rental agency.

If you did drive through any toll station, regardless of what lane you were in, unless you hand paid your tolls, you're going to get a charge.

I am not sure if you have not traveled on I95 in the last few years here in south Florida, but now they have express lanes that you do get charged a toll and they are to the left and clearly marked. So it does make a major difference in what lanes you use. Please also note they don't have toll booths so there is no way to "hand pay".