Glacier Bay National Park or Tracy Arm Fjord

PrincessLuver

We are planning on taking an 11 day Inside Passage cruise out of San Francisco. One option has the Tracy Arm Fjord and the other option has Glacier Bay National Park.

Is there a big difference in these two places. Both cruises go to Victoria, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

Thanks for any help....:)

They are both very different experiences. I enjoyed both of them for different reasons. In Glacier Bay you cruise up a wide body of water surrounded by mountains. At the north end of the Bay there are two different glaciers that the ship gets up close to. It is a National Park, and for good reason. If you're interested you'll find the photos I took at Glacier Bay HERE.

In Tracy Arm you cruise up a narrow fjord. The mountains shoot up from the water, and you get much closer to them than you do at Glacier Bay. You snake through this narrow passageway for a couple of hours, ending with a distant view of Sawyer Glacier. You'll find my photos HERE.

If you've never been to Alaska, either one would be impressive. However, if I had to choose, I would have to go with Glacier Bay National Park. It's an all day experience, compared to about 4 hours in Tracy Arm. And if you want to get up close to a calving glacier, it's the way to go.

Edited by Jasperdo

Hands down, Glacier Bay it is. The ship will take you up close to glaciers where you wait watching for the calving (parts breaking off and falling into the sea). It is a National Park and a park ranger should be aboard to explain about what you are seeing. When pax talk about their AK cruise, this is the place they talk about most. We saw this on our first cruise.

Tracy Arm is a narrow passage between mountains and quite a few ships are not able to go to the end where the glacier is due to fog. Only one ship at a time can go into the narrow passage to see the glacier. We were hitting pieces of glacier floating in the water making a big banging noise on the hull. Due to fog we were not able to get all the way back to the glacier which I am told is not all that uncommon.

If you go to either, take a lot of warm clothes because it will be very cold.

Great Pictures Jasperdo. The best I've seen. We will be there (again) in May and are really looking forward to it. Last time it was too cold and rainy for me to take pictures.
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed them. Hopefully you'll have more sunshine on your next cruise. We lucked into a beautiful day in Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm was cold with some rain, but we still enjoyed it.

They are both very different experiences. I enjoyed both of them for different reasons. In Glacier Bay you cruise up a wide body of water surrounded by mountains. At the north end of the Bay there are two different glaciers that the ship gets up close to. It is a National Park, and for good reason. If you're interested you'll find the photos I took at Glacier Bay HERE.

In Tracy Arm you cruise up a narrow fjord. The mountains shoot up from the water, and you get much closer to them than you do at Glacier Bay. You snake through this narrow passageway for a couple of hours, ending with a distant view of Sawyer Glacier. You'll find my photos HERE.

If you've never been to Alaska, either one would be impressive. However, if I had to choose, I would have to go with Glacier Bay National Park. It's an all day experience, compared to about 4 hours in Tracy Arm. And if you want to get up close to a calving glacier, it's the way to go.

Thanks for the pictures! I'm excited to see Glacier Bay for the first time this summer on my cruise. When I was in Tracy Arm Fjord, it was freezing, raining, and foggy so my pictures didn't turn out as well as yours did.

So here's a thought. If you go to Glacier Bay on your first trip would Tracey Arm be a let down on a subsequent trip?

Due to time constraints this year our available vacation time doesn't have a Glacier Bay available. I look at it this way, it's a good excuse for a return visit which I see in our future as there is so much to see and do.

So here's a thought. If you go to Glacier Bay on your first trip would Tracey Arm be a let down on a subsequent trip?

Due to time constraints this year our available vacation time doesn't have a Glacier Bay available. I look at it this way, it's a good excuse for a return visit which I see in our future as there is so much to see and do.

We went to Tracy Arm twice before we went to Glacier Bay. We did get lucky and saw the glacier both times in Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay was a whole different experience! Now my husband prefers Glacier Bay so much that he doesn't want to ever go back to Tracy Arm. We've been going every year for 5 years in a row now, and will continue to go (we live in the Seattle area) so I figure it doesn't matter if we go to Glacier Bay every time. I am thinking about Tracy Arm this year because we may be taking 3-4 teenagers, and it's about $100 cheaper per person. I think it's worth the compromise, but my husband would still prefer Glacier Bay. The teenagers don't really care. :rolleyes:

If you can only manage a trip with Tracy Arm this year, then it is a good excuse to go back! You will still have a wonderful time, and you will have something different to look forward to next time.

We went to Tracy Arm twice before we went to Glacier Bay. We did get lucky and saw the glacier both times in Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay was a whole different experience! Now my husband prefers Glacier Bay so much that he doesn't want to ever go back to Tracy Arm. We've been going every year for 5 years in a row now, and will continue to go (we live in the Seattle area) so I figure it doesn't matter if we go to Glacier Bay every time. I am thinking about Tracy Arm this year because we may be taking 3-4 teenagers, and it's about $100 cheaper per person. I think it's worth the compromise, but my husband would still prefer Glacier Bay. The teenagers don't really care. :rolleyes:

If you can only manage a trip with Tracy Arm this year, then it is a good excuse to go back! You will still have a wonderful time, and you will have something different to look forward to next time.

Exactly!! I actually like that we are doing Tracey Arm this first time. I suppose if you are certain this will be your one and only Alaska trip it might be different.

Me, I'm already planning in my head another trip for 2015

Jasperdo's pictures are awesome. However, remember that not every trip into Tracy Arm gets as far as he did. We went the first week in July and didn't get nearly as far. It depends on a lot of things like ice flow and timing for where they go next. An insurance policy is the excursion that most cruise lines offer that will get you up close to the Sawyer Glacier(s).

I have yet to see Tracy Arm. I have attempted 4x including a trip in July and missed it each time. I also tried 2x on small boat and couldn't get close either time (one time diverted to Endicott Arm).

If you think this will be your only time to Alaska, go with Glacier Bay. It is probably a 100% guarantee.

I want to see Glacier Bay sometime. Tracy Arm is very beautiful. If you go, you should definitely do it in a small boat. The day we went, it was sunny and we got really close to both glaciers.

7158309031_d75cefce89_z.jpg

Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

7343522522_a087cf0725_z.jpg

Sawyer Glacier by ikirumata, on Flickr

There was a surprisingly a lot of wildlife in Tracy Arm. We saw a bear:

7158269411_42611db3ac_z.jpg

Bear at Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

lots of seals...a few just recently gave birth (the floating ice messes with whale sonar and they are safe on the ice):

7158387669_dd14105049_z.jpg

Harbor Seal and Baby by ikirumata, on Flickr

There were goats on the mountainsides (too far for me to get a pic) and on the way to the entrance, we saw a couple whales (also eagles as far as the eye can see).

If youre lucky and your ship spends a lot of time in Juneau (at least 10 - 12 hours), I recommend taking a tour with Adventurebound out to Tracy Arm. That way you could see both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (I think I saw a Coral Princess itinerary that did both Glacier Bay and stayed in Juneau for 13 hours...pretty good!) .

Edited by ikirumata

I want to see Glacier Bay sometime. Tracy Arm is very beautiful. If you go, you should definitely do it in a small boat. The day we went, it was sunny and we got really close to both glaciers.

7158309031_d75cefce89_z.jpg

Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

7343522522_a087cf0725_z.jpg

Sawyer Glacier by ikirumata, on Flickr

There was a surprisingly a lot of wildlife in Tracy Arm. We saw a bear:

7158269411_42611db3ac_z.jpg

Bear at Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

lots of seals...a few just recently gave birth (the floating ice messes with whale sonar and they are safe on the ice):

7158387669_dd14105049_z.jpg

Harbor Seal and Baby by ikirumata, on Flickr

There were goats on the mountainsides (too far for me to get a pic) and on the way to the entrance, we saw a couple whales (also eagles as far as the eye can see).

If youre lucky and your ship spends a lot of time in Juneau (at least 10 - 12 hours), I recommend taking a tour with Adventurebound out to Tracy Arm. That way you could see both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm (I think I saw a Coral Princess itinerary that did both Glacier Bay and stayed in Juneau for 13 hours...pretty good!) .

Great photos. Were these taken on your May trip? It's precisely the time we will be there and I was wondering about wildlife. Also what camera/lense were you using? I hope to get pix this good, but don't really want to lug around the entire gear bag.

Glacier Bay is after all a National Park:D.

I have been to both and Tracy Arm just doesn't have the WOW factor that Glacier Bay had (JMO). We did see the glaciers, but not up close, and we DID NOT see the wildlife that ikirumata has such wonderful photos of. We saw seals on the icebergs, but no bears. Maybe 3-4 hours cruising in a narrow fjord. I did not do the small boat excursion that ikirumata talks about. I don't pay $$$$ for tours anywhere

In Glacier Bay, I think we saw 4 or 5 glaciers, and it was all day cruising to the end where Pacific and Margerie Glaciers are. Then they turn the boat so everyone on both sides gets a good view. It is so calm and quiet in the Bay that when you hear the ice crackling and calving, it is awesome!

Just be prepared for rough seas from San Francisco North. I've done that route 3 times (2 Northbound and 1 Southbound) and had really rough seas each time until you get up by Vancouver. Have a great trip to Alaska!

+1

We don't make National Parks for no reason ;)

Glacier Bay is after all a National Park:D.

I have been to both and Tracy Arm just doesn't have the WOW factor that Glacier Bay had (JMO). We did see the glaciers, but not up close, and we DID NOT see the wildlife that ikirumata has such wonderful photos of. We saw seals on the icebergs, but no bears. Maybe 3-4 hours cruising in a narrow fjord. I did not do the small boat excursion that ikirumata talks about. I don't pay $$$$ for tours anywhere

In Glacier Bay, I think we saw 4 or 5 glaciers, and it was all day cruising to the end where Pacific and Margerie Glaciers are. Then they turn the boat so everyone on both sides gets a good view. It is so calm and quiet in the Bay that when you hear the ice crackling and calving, it is awesome!

Just be prepared for rough seas from San Francisco North. I've done that route 3 times (2 Northbound and 1 Southbound) and had really rough seas each time until you get up by Vancouver. Have a great trip to Alaska!

As a former cruise ship naturalist and a geography teacher in Alaska for over forty years, I've been numerous times to both. My personal order of preference is:

1. Glacier Bay - it is a national park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The glaciers are located at the head of the bay with a background of the Fairweather mountain range. If the weather cooperates, it is spectacular. Glacier Bay is also famous for wildlife. Last year we say 10 grizzly bears and plenty of humpbacks and orca at the mouth of the bay near Icy Strait. However, we were on a small boat vs. a large cruise ship where the wildlife sightings can be more difficult.

2. Tracy Arm - beautiful trip into a narrow fjord that is very much like a "drowned" Yosemite Valley. Very much like some of the fjords that one would see in Norway. The twin Sawyer glaciers are known for their deep blue icebergs. Cruise ships, despite their advertising, rarely go all the way into the fjord so a small boat trip into Tracy Arm is preferable.

3. Hubbard Glacier - just wanted to comment that many cruiselines don't have permits to Glacier Bay so they go to either Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier which is near the town of Yakutat. This is the most massive glacier you can visit from a cruise ship and the calvings can be spectacular. However, viewings are also weather dependent so you take your chances. Nowhere near the wildlife sightings you will find in Glacier Bay but the background of the glacier against the Wrangell-St. Elias mountains is as spectacular as Glacier Bay.

Edited by Chenega

What month did you go to Tracy Arm? Everyone looks bundled up!