What is wrong with Independence?

RavennaM

We had read some of the same "bad" reviews before we sailed on her in April 2013 and started to question our decision. My wife and I decided not to worry as opinions are what they are. We had one of the best weeks on the sea that we have ever had. I can't say we had a single issue for the 8 days we were aboard. We have booked Indy again for March 2014 and are looking forward to a wonderful week.

Hi,

I am glad to read the positive comments about the Independence of the Seas. I am booked on the six-day Western Caribbean cruise that departs on February 23, 2014. This willl be my first time on the Independence of the Seas. I have cruised aboard the Liberty of the Seas twice fairly recently (December 2011 and February 2013) and loved the ship. Hopefully, I will enjoy the Independence as much as I have enjoyed the Liberty.

Chuck

I was just on the Independence of the Seas for two weeks.

I have sailed on Liberty, Freedom and Independence.

I enjoyed my two weeks. The wait staff team that I had on the second week in MTD was among the best that I have ever had.

The food was good all over the ship.

But there were some few, annoying little things that make the Indy #3 of the 3 Freedom class ships in my opinon.

I can't quantify some of them: there is just NOT as good a "vibe" on the Indy as on the other two.

I can't tell you where it comes from: The Captain, the CD, the staff - all of them, some of them.

But I felt it.

Little things: I know that it can happen on any ship, but it hasn't happened to me. I didn't get most of my D+ "things" or B2B "things" on this cruise. No invitations, no cards, no goodies, no special lunch on turnaround day.

In the gym, the few lower-level weights were old, peeled and quite crappy. Most weights were missing or had only one. When I spoke to two different gym workers, I was given a shrug and a kiss-off.

I am not a shopper on a cruise, but the shops ARE lacking. As a result, there is less "buzz", less "activity" in the Royal Promenade.

There were no activities in the Royal Promenade during the day. (besides the parades) No Freedom Fest (unique to the Freedom, but why?), no such crowd-attracters.

It just felt like there was less LIFE on board.

IME

YMMV

:)

Just off the ship (January 18th). Loved it! It was our first RCI cruise and we loved it and definitely want to sail with them again, and again lol Loved our cabin, loved the staff, the food was pretty good. We did not enjoy the MDR... Felt like they were rushing us out of there. Maybe that's what happens with MTD? We ate at Chops and could always find something to eat in the Windjammer. We especially liked having pre-supper cocktails at the Boleros Tequila bar on level 4. Alberto the bartender was awesome. We also loved the tranquility of the Solarium pool. The itinerary was also very good (6 day Western Caribbean). It was a really positive experience and can't wait to bring my girls on the Independence.

I enjoyed my two weeks. The wait staff team that I had on the second week in MTD was among the best that I have ever had.

But there were some few, annoying little things that make the Indy #3 of the 3 Freedom class ships in my opinon.

I can't quantify some of them: there is just NOT as good a "vibe" on the Indy as on the other two.

I can't tell you where it comes from: The Captain, the CD, the staff - all of them, some of them.

But I felt it.

Little things: I know that it can happen on any ship, but it hasn't happened to me. I didn't get most of my D+ "things" or B2B "things" on this cruise. No invitations, no cards, no goodies, no special lunch on turnaround day.

In the gym, the few lower-level weights were old, peeled and quite crappy. Most weights were missing or had only one. When I spoke to two different gym workers, I was given a shrug and a kiss-off.

I am not a shopper on a cruise, but the shops ARE lacking. As a result, there is less "buzz", less "activity" in the Royal Promenade.

There were no activities in the Royal Promenade during the day. (besides the parades) No Freedom Fest (unique to the Freedom, but why?), no such crowd-attracters.

IME

YMMV

I am surprised that this ship does not have the Dream Works character experience as FOS/LOS? My kids loved this on the last cruise on FOS and i booked the INDY not realizing it didn't offer this! Plus i don't like the fact that you cannot book the entertainment online prior to the sailing (like FOS/LOS), and that doesn't make sense either if the INDY is supposed to be a Freedom class ship???

I'll echo caution about sailing on Independence in December. I sailed on dec 7 eight night cruise and ship had very large population of seniors - many of them very cranky seniors!

I asked my table mates about odd demographic (ship, time of year, what?) and they said rcl does group sales to retirement communities for weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas cruises.

Make that EARLY December. We were on that same cruise and wondered about the vast preponderance of passengers in their eighties and older. I asked Raj, the Concierge if this were typical of Indy and he told me that the seniors like December cruises, but not holiday cruises because there are so many children. He told me both the Christmas and New Years cruises had over one thousand children on each cruise!

The seniors prefer to travel when there are very few children on board and choose times when most are in school. He said Indy does not typically have a a majority of passengers in that senior age bracket.

Yes, some did seem unusually ill-tempered and impatient, but many of the seniors inspired me and showed me the possibilty of cruising well into my nineties. That would be super cool--only twenty-five more years to go until I am 95.

I sailed the Indy for New Years and had a great time! However, I would not rush to book it again! The ship was up to par, but allot of the crew was just OK! Our room steward and bar staff were great as was the evening entertainment, however the Giovanni's staff was not so much!! The main dinning room seemed to be understaffed as dinner seemed exceeding long! The staff were very nice and attentive, but stretched thin!

I sailed the Indy for New Years and had a great time! However, I would not rush to book it again! The ship was up to par, but allot of the crew was just OK! Our room steward and bar staff were great as was the evening entertainment, however the Giovanni's staff was not so much!! The main dinning room seemed to be understaffed as dinner seemed exceeding long! The staff were very nice and attentive, but stretched thin!

We plan on being in a suite and dining in the Speciality restaurant! Looking at April.

Hope the new staff has acclimated by the time our April cruise on Indy rolls around. Service problems seems to be the only complaint I've seen here. Maybe it is the difference between American and European cruisers?

We've always had very good service in the MDR on all our Royal cruises. Wish I could say the same thing about anytime dining on Princess. Their servers just didn't care at all. We've done MTD on Royal just once, and we found the servers very good and caring.

No matter, just give me the warmth of the sun and NO SNOW!!

You can add me as another happy Independence of the Seas cruiser. I sailed on her last March and will be sailing on her again in seven and a half weeks. She's a great ship and offers a great 8-night itinerary.

My only disappointment with her was the shops on the Royal Promenade. I prefer the mix of shops that Royal Caribbean has on the rest of her US-based ships, like the Logo Shop, as shutterbug63 mentioned.

I'm excited to see her post-drydock and see what her upgrades are like.

Glad to see you are still cruising.....wasn't somebody close to you on the ship that caught fire?? Sorry off topic!

I was on the March '13 8 night with Daghis and shutterbug63.

We thought the ship was beautiful and saw no wear others mentioned. My DD loved the rock wall and mini golf.

I agree that the shops were strange...no logo items for kids. Lots of English type products- not sure why a RCCl doesn't switch those out, can't imagine they sell well.

Our Service in the MDR was lacking, but I believe that was the exception rather than the norm. Service I observed at near by tables and at lunch/breakfast was better.

I loved the 8 night itinerary!

Go....have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see you are still cruising.....wasn't somebody close to you on the ship that caught fire?? Sorry off topic!

Yeah, DH and our cruising friend (who was on the Indy cruise last March with me) were on the Grandeur of the Seas "Memorial Day BBQ" cruise. That didn't stop my friend who went with me on Allure of the Seas in August and who's going with me on this year's Independence cruise, too.

I am surprised that this ship does not have the Dream Works character experience as FOS/LOS? My kids loved this on the last cruise on FOS and i booked the INDY not realizing it didn't offer this! Plus i don't like the fact that you cannot book the entertainment online prior to the sailing (like FOS/LOS), and that doesn't make sense either if the INDY is supposed to be a Freedom class ship???

There is no entertainment to book. The ice show tickets are distributed for free on morning #2. To me, Freedom letting you do that online before sailing isn't much of a plus.

Liberty did not have Saturday Night Fever the last time I was on her, so I can't comment on that.

But I felt it.

IME

YMMV

I have never sailed Indy, was supposed to, but got sick on boarding day. Anyway, I won't book this ship again for exactly what you just said: "the vibe" is off. There have been SO many people that have come back and said this. Someone said here that the Indy is the only ship run by the UK - so the shops are not what we're used to - absolutely no logo items. When I was supposed to sail, there wasn't a Caribbean band onboard, either. The little things are important to me, so I will stick with other ships. Seems like the Indy is geared more towards the UK citizens.

Wish they'd bring Navigator back to Port Everglades :)

But I felt it.

IME

YMMV

I agree with all of this including not being able to quantify some of them. However, things that I can put my finger on are things like issues with the sports deck staff. It could have been the day or just the ones that I interacted with but it was the worst sports staff that I have encountered on all of my cruises. I hate the fact that there is no Logo shop on the Promenade. And I really disliked most of the entertainment, and especially the production shows, the last time that we were on Indy.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I have never sailed Indy, was supposed to, but got sick on boarding day. Anyway, I won't book this ship again for exactly what you just said: "the vibe" is off. There have been SO many people that have come back and said this. Someone said here that the Indy is the only ship run by the UK - so the shops are not what we're used to - absolutely no logo items. When I was supposed to sail, there wasn't a Caribbean band onboard, either. The little things are important to me, so I will stick with other ships. Seems like the Indy is geared more towards the UK citizens.

Wish they'd bring Navigator back to Port Everglades :)

We happened to have booked Navigator the year that it was doing Indy's 8 night itinerary. I definitely enjoyed that ship more than Indy. However, I suspect I'll probably book Indy again in the future because I do like the itinerary so much. I'd like to see them switch Indy and Liberty. Let Indy do the shorter cruises and let Liberty do the 8/6 night itineraries.

We happened to have booked Navigator the year that it was doing Indy's 8 night itinerary. I definitely enjoyed that ship more than Indy. However, I suspect I'll probably book Indy again in the future because I do like the itinerary so much. I'd like to see them switch Indy and Liberty. Let Indy do the shorter cruises and let Liberty do the 8/6 night itineraries.

That would be great. I really want to do that 8-night, but on another ship. I wish they'd change it. Love the Navigator and have wanted to try Liberty for awhile now.