no more wine in different ports

sonnenstrahl

2 years ago we cruise the Emerald Princess and will do again in March.

At that time we where allowed to bring in every port wine on board. The way I understand it now it is no longer allowed any more. Is that right and if so will it be enforced. Very sad if that is true!

For us, locating decent wine at a reasonable price in the Caribbean has been quite difficult. That's why we bring our wine onboard at embarkation.

On the Royal TA there were no restrictions with respect to bringing wine onboard at embarkation or any port of call. I don't know how Princess will handle it in the Caribbean.

Lew

At that time we where allowed to bring in every port wine on board. The way I understand it now it is no longer allowed any more. Is that right and if so will it be enforced. Very sad if that is true!

My experience is that you may bring wine on from ports of call & I'm prepared to pay corkage to enjoy onboard or they could store it without a fee to take home. If they don't charge the $15/bottle fee & I drink it in my cabin that gives me more money to spend on other things during my cruise. If I have it outside of my cabin then Princess gets the $15 fee.

For me it is not just "decent wine at a reasonable price", it is simple a money question. For a glass of wine at the pool from plastic glasses to pay 6,7,8 $ and more is a lot for my feeling. It was so nice and simple to just get a bottle in any port and...... fine. I did not had to feel like "the little bad girl" needs to hide. I guess I need to deal with it and make the best out of it. ;)

Well ,,,we try in Mai Celebrity the first time, we will see how that works with a drinking package.

How do wine boxes work in suitcases? Has somebody experience with that?

Sorry I'm very straight out,, that is our "German-Way",,can't help it. LOL

Edited by sonnenstrahl

For me it is not just "decent wine at a reasonable price", it is simple a money question. For a glass of wine at the pool from plastic glasses to pay 6,7,8 $ and more is a lot for my feeling. It was so nice and simple to just get a bottle in any port and...... fine. I did not had to feel like "the little bad girl" needs to hide. I guess I need to deal with it and make the best out of it. ;)

Well ,,,we try in Mai Celebrity the first time, we will see how that works with a drinking package.

I think you can still buy wine in port, just pay the $15 corking fee.

We sailed on the Emerald March/April 2013 and my wife brought on a 1.5 liter bottle of wine and I brought on a 1.5 liter bottle of wine at Port Everglades in our carry on. All that was said to us was welcome back. I guess we were lucky. We never tried bringing wine on at any of the other ports. The wine we brought on at embarkation was for in room consumption only. All other alcohol drinks we purchased from the ships bars and lounges.

I have a suspicion based on nothing more than intuition that enforcement is contingent upon several factors which would influence the perceived demographic of the cruise: port of embarkation (FLL: high; European ports: low), length of cruise (shorties on Ruby: high; 10 dayer on Emerald: low), etc. But I could be just talking out of my hat (lord knows, I wouldn't be the first or only one around here doing that).

Each room is allowed 2 bottles brought onboard per cruise with no corkage fee. If one wants to bring on more wine, there is a $15 per bottle fee applied as you return to the ship.

You should have the two bottles as you board in your carry on. I hear one could get sent to the 'naughty room' if it is in your luggage.

Seems that the port, time of day, amount of personnel at each port determines how it is enforced. Some say you 'must go to the table and sign in but no one is really looking as you could possibly walk by and not register what you bring on. Others have said that they are right there on the ball to have you register your wine. Just depends.

We have purchased a bottle or two at ports to bring back to the ship and not had difficulties but we are light drinkers and only go through 2 bottles in a weeks time. I think they are a little easier on the longer cruises.

It is up to you to be honest or not.

We have been on two Princess cruises since the new rules were in force. On both cruises we checked a case of wine and paid the corkage fee on 10 of the 12 bottles. Ir worked fine.

When we found a wine in port that we wanted to buy, we bought it and took it on board. Sometimes they stopped us to check it and sometimes they didn't. As long as you are always prepared to pay the corkage fee, there is no problem.

Celebrity's beverage package is great - you will love it.

Also Princess is experimenting with a beverage package on a couple of ships and hopefully they will roll it out fleet wide soon.