This is going hurt , Canadian dollar dropping

Ex-Airbalancer

This is why I dollar cost average my spending money! I have a USD account that every pay day I put $50 into, it may not seem like much but over a year it will amount to $1200. Some of it is at an above par rate and some is below!

snow bunny

Edited by snow bunny

Hi

The Aust dollar is also dropping againest the US dollar as the US economy starts to recover .It was always going to happen and as an Australian exporter it great ,it does not help the travel bottom line however.

We pay for our cruise in Aust dollars as we book locally but the other odds and ends will cost ,bottom line will it stop me travelling no

Last January , Canadian dollar was more then the US dollar , now it 10% less,

This will make it harder to find cruise money

If it goes to 80 cent I will be staying home a lot more :(

We just booked a Princess cruise for next month and the price was the same in both $US and $CAD so there was an over 10% savings by doing this CAD.

I glad that our other cruise we doing next month on X which was booked in USD was fully paid for before the Cdn $ dropped.

We typically book after the final payment date so the full fare is due when booked thus that allows us the opportunity of selecting the currency that offers us the best cost.:)

Edited by robtulipe

Same issue here in Australia, dollar's down over 20% in the past year.

Americans traveling here are very happy though!

Hi

The Aust dollar is also dropping againest the US dollar as the US economy starts to recover .It was always going to happen and as an Australian exporter it great ,it does not help the travel bottom line however.

We pay for our cruise in Aust dollars as we book locally but the other odds and ends will cost ,bottom line will it stop me traveling no

You don't have to tell me about this. Last Feb. we did a 19 night RC Oz/NZ cruise with a land stay prior and after when AUD was at around $1.04US and the CAD at about $1.02 US. To make it even worst we plan to go back to Oz later this year so I kept the just over three hundred AUD we had left at the end of our 5 weeks downunder for this next trip. Bad move on our part but at least we'll be able to buy coffees easily when we arrive there next time.;)

If you're booking excursions online with your reservation the prices are quoted in Canadian dollars not U.S. as long as you booked your cruise in Ca. $. When you sign in to Celebrity it automatically quotes Canadian for everything you purchase. I can't get anything quoted in U.S. $ with my upcoming reservation.

I doubt that Celebrity will accept Canadian $ at par, but if so please let us know!

I have my upcoming cruise booked in CAD and I have been booking and paying for as much as I possibly can online as the Celebrity exchange rate is much better than what my Bank or Credit Card will be if I purchase onboard in USD. For example, today the Stateroom Bar Set-up is 80 USD / 83.50 CAD but I would be paying 12 to 14 cents on the dollar to buy $US at my bank today.

My experience is that Celebrity's Canadian rates are quite favourable, although not at par.

For our upcoming cruise, this morning they are still offering insides and verandas at $1499 USD and $3299 USD respectively. The Canadian prices quoted for these cabins are only $1529 CDN and $3369 CDN. The best possible rate that I can convert the US prices to on my own would be $1678 CDN and $3694 CDN. So by buying at their Canadian rate, I'd save $300 CDN or $650 CDN for the two of us. Not a bad saving purely on conversion costs.

In the event anyone is wondering how I'm able to get both Canadian and USD quotes, I access the Celebrity website using a VPN with a US IP to get the USD quotes.

So are you saying if I buy an onboard credit now before I go it will be cheaper than paying on the cruise in converted dollars? Trying to get the best sea for my Canadian dollar Also in the past i have given Canadian dollars on Carnival on our sea pass account when on board. Would I get a better conversion rate this way as opossed to paying in US dollars?

If you're booking excursions online with your reservation the prices are quoted in Canadian dollars not U.S. as long as you booked your cruise in Ca. $. When you sign in to Celebrity it automatically quotes Canadian for everything you purchase. I can't get anything quoted in U.S. $ with my upcoming reservation.

I doubt that Celebrity will accept Canadian $ at par, but if so please let us know!

The Celebrity page automatically quotes in Cdn $ if your URL is a Canadian address. If you want to see what the US price is, scroll down to the bottom of the page that has the 123 Go ad and "Find a cruise" and you will find a heading "country" If you have a Cdn address, it will say Canada. You can change it to United States and then you will get USD rates. However, you will have to do that every time you want the USD rate. This is for general pricing. However, if you have already booked in Cdn $, I'm not sure how you go about getting prices for that cruise in USD.

Edited by YVR cruiser

[QU[color="Blue"]OTE=Fouremco;41407620]Interesting question. When I first started using the site, everything was quoted in Canadian dollars and I simply accepted that. I don't recall ever having the option of USD quotes or payments.[/QUOTE][/color]

I have never seen the option of Cdn/US quotes on line, but if I talked to the X rep or booked onboard, I always had the option

So are you saying if I buy an onboard credit now before I go it will be cheaper than paying on the cruise in converted dollars? Trying to get the best sea for my Canadian dollar Also in the past i have given Canadian dollars on Carnival on our sea pass account when on board. Would I get a better conversion rate this way as opossed to paying in US dollars?

Hi Julie. Today, a $25 USD OBC will cost you $25.90 if purchased on the Celebrity website. The best possible price that I can buy $25 USD at a bank, currency exchange, etc. is $27.99. So for $500 in OBC, you'd save $41.80.

If you pay in Canadian cash onboard, I don't know what exchange rate you'll get, but I doubt that it would be better than the website's. Furthermore, if the slide continues, the dollar difference will be greater.