No longer an Oceania Cheerleader

LHT28

With total regards to the OP and the experience they had, if I were planning a trip on Oceania I would not let one persons experience make me second guess my plan.

This is the attitude my DH and I have as we're getting ready to cruise with Oceania for the first time in April. We will NOT change our plans nor second guess our choice, but will hopefully enjoy every minute we're on board, as well as the service, accommodations, meals and staff, realizing things may not be perfect all the time in every respect.

And IF something is not to our satisfaction, we will address it at the time and hopefully O will take care of it! ;)

I wonder how he would like to be told that he has to be out of his suite in 5 days...or having his key cards (both) deactivated, or staying in a suite that is either freezing cold or hot like 100 degrees. I feel that I have reasonable concerns.

I'm confused by your criticism of being told you had to be out of your suit in 5 days. You've written that you brought paperwork to the Customer Relations (CR) desk. What did the paperwork say? Did it say you were booked in the same suite for the second half of a back to back? If so, what was the final outcome of the situation even if the CR folks first told you you'd have to vacate? If you were always supposed to relocate was your quarrel that you received notification earlier than expected?

With total regards to the OP and the experience they had, if I were planning a trip on Oceania I would not let one persons experience make me second guess my plan.

I would not either

Everyone has to make their own choices based on what is best for them

After 9 cruises on Oceania this one was definately different in the service area

Lyn

Lyn,

There are few people who post on the CC Oceania board whose opinion and information I value highly. Yours is one of them. You have always been willing to answer questions and, while an Oceania “Cheerleader” you have often ensured that the information you have given is accurate (with most of the warts slightly shaded;)).

Something must have happened on this cruise to make you so upset that, as you blogged yesterday at 2:25 PM:

We were so disappointed with the service by certain staff we have cancelled our 2 upcoming cruises and a 3rd is hanging in the balance.”

For me, it represented a large downgrade of the entire cruise and of Oceania. As you saw from further postings it also gave some newbies to O pause for thought.

What concerns me is that 21 hours later you posted on another thread (reviewing the cruise that you were on) this:

“….We did love the cruise with a few exceptions

This cruise was all about relaxing & that we did

Maybe we will sail with you another time on Oceania”

So I guess the question is - which is it? Are you soured on O enough to completely throw sailings on her away or were there a few things that went wrong and you are still going to sail on O? The difference means quite a lot to those who are researching O for the first time.

We are not soured on Oceania just cautious at this time

I have explained above

We did have a good cruise in spite of the poor service in SOME areas

It was a personal choice for us to cancel our upcoming cruises.

We were very torn over the week as to continue the bookings as the penalty phase was going to kick in soon

After several issues we just decided it was not worth risking our $$ & hope the other cruises would be great as our past experiences have been on Oceania, not always perfect but not as many negative issues ;)

We may regret our decision to cancel but it our cross to bear

I do not expect anyone to cancel or second guess their decisions to sail on Oceania because of my report.....it is still a good line

I was just reporting OUR experience on this cruise, as others have reported they had no such issues

This cruise for some reason we got the short end of stick, bad luck bad timing or we just did not have the right look for some staff ..who knows

I am hoping to sail on the 2015 cruise as planned.

YMMD

LYN

Edited by LHT28

So sorry to hear some of the bad experiences with Oceania whether it be food and service or changing of a room in mid Cruise. As for us we sailed for the first time with Oceania on the Nautica this past June in the western Med for a BTB. That cruise met all expectations and more. The food in the MDR and speciality dining rooms was great as was the service. I thought that the terrace cafe and especially the outdoor grill was fantastic.

We have sailed with Azamara twice in recent years and liked Oceania just as much but felt the food on Oceania was better.We had also sailed these ships (the R class) when they were with Ren years ago before they went belly up.

We will be sailing with O again this summer on the Insignia for another BTB and very much look forward to it.

Cruising on no matter what ship or line can have its ups or downs on a particular cruise and deciding to cancel a future cruise based on a recent experience is still a personal decision and I respect it. Just my opinion but I do feel that mgmt . cares and will address these problems especially from seasoned travelers as yourselves. Good luck to you and all future cruisers on Oceania.

Peace Irwin (aka Rodan)

The girl at Reception who was rather rude made a copy of the papers which did say that I had the same suite. She rather rudely said she would let me know in three to four days. I told her that I had the paperwork and I was not moving. Then within a few hours I had a call from the Concierge or someone who said that something went wrong and we were not going to have to move. Rather unsettling. However, they did deactivate our key cards on the first day of the second leg! Again, rather unsettling.

I would say that these things should not have happened and probably they could have been a little nicer under the circumstances.

I do not think anyone should let my experiences change what they are going to do--but bring your paperwork! LOL

As far as the food and the service in the specialty restaurants, it was exemplary. I didn't feel the same about the MDR.

Crews come and crews go and with all the changing around that is done, it is counterproductive for the ship, in my opinion.

I really feel if you want really good service, there is a way to speak to them and they will be responsive. Of course, one should not have to do this, but it is what it is.

I am very disappointed myself as we always take the Owners Suite and we always take two segments (almost). Therefore, it is rather expensive. We don't expect things like this to happen, and it would have been much nicer, in my opinion, if they would have used the words, we are sorry in any of their communications, verbally or by telephone. My opinion only.

Caroldoll,

A certain amount of changing around of crew is going to happen if only because when their contracts end, they go home for a while. When they return, they may go to a different ship or not.

But there's no way to compel these people to stay on board permanently.

No, of course *I* know that *you* know that!

But I don't think that Oceania -- or any cruise line -- is deliberately moving people willy-nilly. Sometimes they move people because of a need. But they are always going to have to be replacing people, even if only for a month or two.

I have indicated that we went through a definite lack in service in O's early days because so many of the crew left the ship at the same time. That's the ONLY time we experienced that.

And we have encountered crew members we knew from one ship on another ...

I'm not sure if it's more difficult for the crew in terms of servicing the "O" ships as opposed to the "R" ships. But that might be a factor.

Mura

I'm not sure if it's more difficult for the crew in terms of servicing the "O" ships as opposed to the "R" ships. But that might be a factor.

Mura

Our cabin steward on Regatta said he liked the R ships because he didn't have so far to walk between cabins and supply areas....

On our first Marina cruise we were in a Vista because we were "coerced" to move from another cruise. (It's a rough job but someone has to do it.)

And you betcha we thought that it was a REALLY long walk to the restaurants! I can see where the crew feels this even more.

DH always likes to take a short walk after dinner, but when we were in the VS he didn't feel the need. He got the same effect just in returning to our cabin.

Mura

I want to commend everyone on this board for having such great manners and skills. It is all too common for someone to post a negative about their dearly beloved cruise line and be completely belittled by others. How nice to see such ladies and gentlemen on the O boards.

Of course I'm greatly disappointed by what I'm reading, so I too will lower my expectations for my April cruise.

Thank you so much for posting.

FWIW...we usually do b2b on O and we always have had our room keys deactivated and new ones given to us shortly before the beginning of the 2nd cruise.

It's usually no big deal, although a couple of times my card hasn't worked but a quick trip downstairs and it is swiped again and works the second time.

However, they did deactivate our key cards on the first day of the second leg! Again, rather unsettling.

Caroldoll, you should have been notified that ANYONE on a back to back has their keys deactivated after the first cruise and has to pick up new ones it is standard procedure and had nothing to do with any problems you may have had..

Jancruz1

before, admittedly on other lines, and have never had this happen. It would have been nice for someone to have informed me.

It wasn't a quick little trip though...we had been all the way down to the GDR on the bow for the muster drill and had walked all the way back to the OS on the stern, plus climbing from the 6th floor to the 10th!

Even the butler didn't tell me.

Coupled with everything...the being told to get out and the horrible heating/airconditioning problems, I was more than a little disturbed.

The girl at Reception who was rather rude made a copy of the papers which did say that I had the same suite. She rather rudely said she would let me know in three to four days. I told her that I had the paperwork and I was not moving. Then within a few hours I had a call from the Concierge or someone who said that something went wrong and we were not going to have to move. Rather unsettling. However, they did deactivate our key cards on the first day of the second leg! Again, rather unsettling.

Here's a thought that may help you and new-to-Oceania cruisers feel somewhat better about this foul up: The girl who took your paperwork behaved badly, but it appears that the someone who was in a position to do something quickly followed up. After all, the counter girl's clueless "three or four days" shrank to a few hours.

I also suspect from the fact that the Concierge notified you rather than the original rude/clueless employee that Oceania realized it had botched its treatment of you. In our experience, the Concierge is far more attentive to diplomacy and customer satisfaction than the average Main Desk staffer.

Also, you might want to remember that Oceania has higher level personnel on board whose responsibility is the running of the hotel side of a cruise. Since you were unhappy with your interaction with the Main Desk staffer, you could have insisted on dealing with the hotel manager directly in addition to leaving copies of your paperwork.

bring your paperwork!

True words! Wise advice whether taking a land vacation or a cruise!

Here's a thought that may help you and new-to-Oceania cruisers feel somewhat better about this foul up: The girl who took your paperwork behaved badly, but it appears that the someone who was in a position to do something quickly followed up. After all, the counter girl's clueless "three or four days" shrank to a few hours.

I also suspect from the fact that the Concierge notified you rather than the original rude/clueless employee that Oceania realized it had botched its treatment of you. In our experience, the Concierge is far more attentive to diplomacy and customer satisfaction than the average Main Desk staffer.

Also, you might want to remember that Oceania has higher level personnel on board whose responsibility is the running of the hotel side of a cruise. Since you were unhappy with your interaction with the Main Desk staffer, you could have insisted on dealing with the hotel manager directly in addition to leaving copies of your paperwork.

Another thing to do if you have a bad encounter at the main desk: wait for a different person and ask the same question or report the same problem. Sometimes you get a better result !

Of course, if it is a really pressing problem, best to go to a higher level right away.

Caroldoll,

A certain amount of changing around of crew is going to happen if only because when their contracts end, they go home for a while. When they return, they may go to a different ship or not.

But there's no way to compel these people to stay on board permanently.

No, of course *I* know that *you* know that!

But I don't think that Oceania -- or any cruise line -- is deliberately moving people willy-nilly. Sometimes they move people because of a need. But they are always going to have to be replacing people, even if only for a month or two.

I have indicated that we went through a definite lack in service in O's early days because so many of the crew left the ship at the same time. That's the ONLY time we experienced that.

And we have encountered crew members we knew from one ship on another ...

Mura

That is the single most significant difference between Oceania and Azamara IMO. The crews on Azamara don't switch ships. It makes for a well oiled machine and a wonderful on board experience. They are like a family and you become part of it

That is the single most significant difference between Oceania and Azamara IMO. The crews on Azamara don't switch ships. It makes for a well oiled machine and a wonderful on board experience. They are like a family and you become part of it

They only have 2 ships & when crew go off home there is probably not much disruption

The crew on Oceania do anywhere from 6 to 10 mth contracts ...they go to the ship that has an opening for that particular crew member's job when they come back in 2-3 mths

It is not like an office where someone will do your job while you are on vacation for a couple of weeks ;)

They only have 2 ships & when crew go off home there is probably not much disruption

The crew on Oceania do anywhere from 6 to 10 mth contracts ...they go to the ship that has an opening for that particular crew member's job when they come back in 2-3 mths

It is not like an office where someone will do your job while you are on vacation for a couple of weeks ;)

My understanding is that goes beyond having just two ships. The crews are loyal to a single ship and do not move between the two. I think it makes a difference

But that's no excuse for poor service on Oceania. I have experienced bad food but never poor service on o Completely unacceptable and I agree cause for concern

before, admittedly on other lines, and have never had this happen. It would have been nice for someone to have informed me.

It wasn't a quick little trip though...we had been all the way down to the GDR on the bow for the muster drill and had walked all the way back to the OS on the stern, plus climbing from the 6th floor to the 10th!

Even the butler didn't tell me.

Coupled with everything...the being told to get out and the horrible heating/airconditioning problems, I was more than a little disturbed.

On our B2B in Nov we had to change cabins and received new cards, 2 days early, thought that was a little strange, especially since on turnaround day they told us we had to have the new cards reprogrammed. We moved from one room to another seamlessly and were in the new room by 9am. BUT, our new cards didn't work until around 2 that afternoon, the front desk people said it had to do with the computers closing out one cruise and then loading the next. OK.

My biggest concern is that I had to bother our room attendant or butler whom were both extremely busy on turnaround day getting the other rooms ready to let us in our room.

My experience with the front desk is that there was a young man there that was very courteous and efficient, and there was a lady(English I think) in her late 30's that was extremely friendly and helpful. THEN, there were 2 or 3 young ladies in their mid 20 that the nicest thing I could say about them would be that Cold Fish would be a compliment. This "nose in the air" attitude should be adjusted, not sure who thinks that is proper but it seems to be most prevalent on all cruise lines we've been on with the Guest Relations staff.

My understanding is that goes beyond having just two ships. The crews are loyal to a single ship and do not move between the two. I think it makes a difference

But that's no excuse for poor service on Oceania. I have experienced bad food but never poor service on o Completely unacceptable and I agree cause for concern

I would think the fact that Oceania has gone from servicing around 2100 passengers at any given time to around to 4500 in the past 3 or 4 years has taken a toll on their service and quality of staff. It's hard to expect to double your customers and still maintain the intimate service and quality they've been known for. In a few months that will go up to over 5000 passengers. I'm sure it's a challenge for management.

Still our experience on Riviera was excellent, but there were a few snags.

IMO a few of the recent posts have hit the nail on the head.....currently 7 ships, if you include Regent, with staff probably doubling over the past 2/3 years is a tougher management issue and I am sorry to say it shows. We still love sailing Oceania but we have noticed a decline in service particularly in the restaurants.

One of the other things I have noticed is a move more towards mass market marketing. Not an annoyance....just an observation.

Change is sometimes difficult to handle :rolleyes:

I have no proof of this other than empirical but almost every crew member/officer we talk to tells us they prefer to be on the smaller r ships. I wonder if that has any impact on service on the larger ships. We are not hearing such complAints about the r ship service that I recall.

My next three o cruises are on regatta and nAutica, refurbished. And I have 3 on Azamara r ships , not refurbished. I still think the o ships, with all their beauty and extra venues, do not provide an experience = to the r ships

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will be taking my first Oceania cruise in January of next year and am looking forward to it with much anticipation.

A post such as yours has me worried. I have been a faithful HAL cruiser and am finding that their product is deteriorating and am looking for something a bit more upscale.

Everyone says O is what HAL used to be so we are giving it a try.

I would really like to read your review. I have been lurking here without posting, trying to learn as much as I can about Oceania.

I would like to know what to expect.

Terri

ditto

I have no proof of this other than empirical but almost every crew member/officer we talk to tells us they prefer to be on the smaller r ships. I wonder if that has any impact on service on the larger ships. We are not hearing such complAints about the r ship service that I recall.

We just got back from a 10 night trip on the Regatta and we did see some service problems. One long delay in getting dinner orders in in the GDR. Several apologies and a check back by the DR supervisor at the end of our meal. we had repeated problems getting the attention of the sommelier in every venue. Food was always excellent. Our room stewardess also regularly missed things and the head housekeeper told us she was new and she would retrain her. None of this "ruined" our trip but we had not previously encountered these problems

IMO there was a feeling of short staff, lack of coordination and insufficient supervision/training. It was not severe but it was noticeable on several occasions. When I say "feeling of short staff" it may well be just a lot of new staff not yet into the rhythm of the dining room.

So, yes Laraine, there are similar problems on the R ships. I hope they get a better handle on them before our summer cruises.

I agree with others that the rapid growth has degraded the quality of employees fleet wide. If I were running the place I would keep people on the same ships, preferably with the same supervisors. Unfortunately there have been a lot of promotions (good for the individual) and a lot of new supervisors and staff which is not so good for the system. Hopefully it will smooth out over time.

Robbie