Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Talking to my in laws on this ship right now. They were just told that they are not going to St Martin, are coming back to Bayonne and are expected to arrive there around 4pm on Wednesday. CDC interviewed them in depth- where they went, what they ate and drank, what symptoms he had, how long, how much etc...they just left St Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To anyone that cares...Just got confirmation from the Captain... Explorer is heading directly home and will be back on the 29th , 2 days early for deep cleaning and are to make arrangements for everyone to get home and will be compensated for there losses.

Thanks for all the firsthand information. Stay healthy!:)

We were on for our honeymoon and disembarked on the 21st after a wonderful cruise. Unfortunately, I started being extremely ill 5 minutes after take off that evening. 6 hour flight with constant vomiting is not fun - I am so sorry for my fellow passengers and, yes, I fully expect to have infected some of them :-( I became extremely ill and was admitted to hospital on landing and they kept me in for 3 days due to the severity of my reaction.

There was a considerable outbreak on our cruise so I have to disagree that the outbreak on the 21st voyage was caused by selfish/unsuspecting passengers taking it on board. They have simply picked up the virus left behind by us. I've heard from 2 crew members that I've kept in touch with that staff were definitely ill with a "stomach bug" on both cruises so the ship were definitely aware that Noro was present between the 12-21.

The staff were maintaining a visible and persistent cleansing routine - disinfecting rails/toilets etc. and I believe that its impossible to rule out such a virus 100% (obviously!). However, I struggle with the lack of information provided by the senior management on our cruise. We were not advised once that Noro had broken out on the ship, there was no escalation of the prevention levels - such as "no self-serve" in the Windjammer etc and at the Captains Questions, on the 20th (last full day), the Head of Ops was specifically asked about Noro and talked in the theoretical, never mentioning once that many cases had already been reported by both passengers and crew.

This was our first cruise and we were not as clued up as we are now - it would have made a big difference to the precautions we could have taken had the Ship's Management shared the information the had - not to cause panic but to allow me to make informed decisions. Their lack of transparency here is unacceptable to me and has resulted in the worst honeymoon homecoming. :-(

Edited by PixieX

You are so good to post live to us from the ship! Thank you so much.

The published news reports do not mention any change to your voyage, other than skipping your first port and getting checked out at the next port.

One strong rumor has been that the following cruise, scheduled to depart on January 31, will be cancelled so that RC can perform a deep cleaning.

Personally, I don't see that happening, since it is a 9 night cruise. It would be more likely, IMO, that it would be delayed.

It just doesn't take 9 days to clean a ship.

That's almost a drydock period of time! :eek:

Hi Carol...

I thought I'd send this info minus the trolls :)

Just got confirmation from the Captain... Explorer is heading directly home and will be back on the 29th , 2 days early for deep cleaning and are to make arrangements for everyone to get home and will be compensated for there losses.

We were on for our honeymoon and disembarked on the 21st after a wonderful cruise. Unfortunately, I started being extremely ill 5 minutes after take off that evening. 6 hour flight with constant vomiting is not fun - I am so sorry for my fellow passengers and, yes, I fully expect to have infected some of them :-( I became extremely ill and was admitted to hospital on landing and they kept me in for 3 days due to the severity of my reaction.

There was a considerable outbreak on our cruise so I have to disagree that the outbreak on the 21st voyage was caused by selfish/unsuspecting passengers taking it on board. They have simply picked up the virus left behind by us. I've heard from 2 crew members that I've kept in touch with that staff were definitely ill with a "stomach bug" on both cruises so the ship were definitely aware that Noro was present between the 12-21.

The staff were maintaining a visible and persistent cleansing routine - disinfecting rails/toilets etc. and I believe that its impossible to rule out such a virus 100% (obviously!). However, I struggle with the lack of information provided by the senior management on our cruise. We were not advised once that Noro had broken out on the ship, there was no escalation of the prevention levels - such as "no self-serve" in the Windjammer etc and at the Captains Questions, on the 20th (last full day), the Head of Ops was specifically asked about Noro and talked in the theoretical, never mentioning once that many cases had already been reported by both passengers and crew.

This was our first cruise and we were not as clued up as we are now - it would have made a big difference to the precautions we could have taken had the Ship's Management shared the information the had - not to cause panic but to allow me to make informed decisions. Their lack of transparency here is unacceptable to me and has resulted in the worst honeymoon homecoming. :-(

I'm so sorry. What you described sounds like a complete nightmare to me. I can imagine what you've been through as I fell ill last year pre-cruise in Ft. Lauderdale and had to miss my cruise. Again I am really sorry and hope you feel better soon. Glad you're home safe now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To anyone that cares...Just got confirmation from the Captain... Explorer is heading directly home and will be back on the 29th , 2 days early for deep cleaning and are to make arrangements for everyone to get home and will be compensated for there losses.

Thank you very much for taking time out from your cruise to keep us posted on the norovirus outbreak on EX. DH/I will be on the 1/31 cruise and we've been very worried about everyone on EX and what will take place with our cruise on Friday.

I feel horrible for those on the ship that are ill or those doing their best to remain healthy and make the best of it.

Stay healthy and thank you again.

Ugh. Sounds like a nightmare. Our household had Noro the week after Christmas and it has been making its way around the office.

I can't imagine having it while on vacation and having to share a room/bathroom with somebody :(.

It's probably for the best that they head back to Bayonne.

Thank you very much for taking time out from your cruise to keep us posted on the norovirus outbreak on EX. DH/I will be on the 1/31 cruise and we've been very worried about everyone on EX and what will take place with our cruise on Friday.

I feel horrible for those on the ship that are ill or those doing their best to remain healthy and make the best of it.

Stay healthy and thank you again.

Thank you Dear !!! :)

Looks like we'll have to add Disposable Gloves to the lists of things to bring on a cruise.

In fact it might be a good idea for the cruise line to supply those at the start of a buffet line, as the tongs for self service are probably a big issue in transmission. Along with rummaging through silverware.

Also the self serve drink station could be an issue.

You handle the cup..and then touch the cup the switch...finish the drink and do it again. Then the next person does the same.

Use a napkin between that switch and the cup, and put up a sign telling people do that.

Elbow switches and automatic doors on the bathroom could help too.

One thing we always do is bring a ziplock bag for the tv remote in our cabin. Saw a special on 20/20 about the dirtiest items in hotel rooms - remote was top of the list!! And yes it works fine through the plastic bag!!

That's an excellent idea, may try that in the future. We do, at minimum, wipe it down with Lysol disinfectant wipes before using.

So sorry to hear about the early end to the current EOS cruise... safe trip home to all involved.

Go Royal! They sure know how to do the right thing by their cruisers :D

Future Cruises:

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas-Bermuda/Caribbean - 2014

RCCL-Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda - 2014

RCCL-Quantum of the Seas – 3 Night Sampler - 2014

RCCL-Quantum of the Seas – Southern Caribbean - 2015

RCCL-Diamond Plus

Celebrity-Elite

Norwegian-Silver

Holland-Star Mariner

Being a guy and on our 16th cruise.........ALL men should WASH THEIR HANDS..............do you know how many don't............women...........SMACK them......they are probably the same ones that throw the tongs back into the salad and other items on the salad bar and food trays............PLEASE, place the tongs in their proper place and consider your hands as deadly items..................people