Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

I got tired of always being told to use sanitizer when I walked into the DR or WJ. I'm like some of the rest of you. I wash my hands and probably just had. Plus, I carry my own sanitizer. I preferred to sanitize AFTER touching the menu.

Not necessarily true. In the winter this virus, as most contagious viruses, is more prevalent because people are in closed quarters because of the weather outside, this Winter being particularly bad. Pre-Cruise, the more people are enclosed the more likely they are to get sick, then bring this to a cruise ship that is again enclosed and more people are likely to get sick. Yes, it stems from poor heigine, but it is in fact more prevalent in the winter.

:o

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

I was on the prior cruise that returned on the 21st, and definitely feel that the "washy" crew was less aggressive with the hand sanitizer than I have witnessed on previous cruises. There was one person standing there chanting "washy-washy" and dancing, which I guess was supposed to remind you to use the self-serve sanitizer. On other cruises I've been on, they have had one or even two people with the bottles in their hand coming to find YOU to make sure you got some sanitizer.

Also, there was shockingly NO sanitizer available right after clearing the security area upon re boarding the ship at ports or call. On other lines a dedicated crew member or members were always coming up to you to make sure you sanitized at moments like these. Not so on EOS.

Edit: Now that I think of it, during the last two days there WERE people holding bottles at the MDR but they weren't there for the first part of the cruise. I wonder if they did have some information about Noro on board. Who knows.

Edited by eh270

Who's hijacking a thread???, your copy and paste article, posting of which is against forum rules and copyright, contained not only material completely irrelevant to the discussion, but also incorrect information, a fact that MM was kind enough to point out to the other members of this forum, although considering the source of the article a lot of members should have figured this out for themselves.

Why don't you just cry ;)

Gross! :eek:

I wonder: if RCL fully refunds passengers (which I suspect they will), will the crew receive their standard tips? If crew members don't receive tips for this 10 day cruise, after likely having added cleaning duties, I certainly couldn't blame them for mentally checking out.

I would hope they get full refunds.. I was sort of thinking they would also get a nice future credit for another cruise.. or is that asking too much? If it were me.. even if I did not become sick.. the constant worry if I was going to would take the joy out of my trip.

I'm in the group that uses as little sanitizer as possible for a couple reasons. In addition to making my hands itchy and incredibly dry, it's a poor substitute for good, old-fashioned soap and water! I think that liberal use of sanitizer gives people a false sense of security, and may even cause them to be less careful about proper hand washing.

I worked in large public schools as a teacher and a principal for 30 years. We had at least one major Noro outbreak every year. About 10 years ago, hand sanitizer was added to the school supply lists. Every student and every classroom had access to as much of the stuff as they could use. Guess what? We had at least one major Noro outbreak every year.:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. I also hope it includes all of the life jackets (that could have been worn or touched by an infected person) and those nasty bed coverings that are most likely not laundered after every voyage.

Bedding is what I am concerned about. Are duvet covers, blankets, and pillows changed out and cleaned after each cruise ends. I'm not sure if that is done in hotel rooms either.

Like it or not the most likely source for this outbreak is a kitchen worker who is a carrier, probably been carrying the virus for years with a natural immunity as do many from the sub-continent because they have to constantly live with such diseases. One day he doesn't wash his hands and feces remain embedded under his fingernails, he returns to his station and starts washing the salad..........end of cruise.

Possible, but I would not call that likely. If that were the case, then the odds of it occuring would be the same year round, and not elevated during cold and flu season. Workers are there all the time, handling things all the time, througout the year. They tend to be on the ship for 6-8 months. So having a random outbreak would really be random- which would be the case if someone was a carrier of a virus.

The other point would be- thinking that the source is "sub-continent" would also make the occurance more random, since the workers are generally from the same location. Therefore when there are replacements, the odds of a "carrier" would be the same. Therefore, the outbreaks would be evenly distributed during the year.

They do not seem to be.

Not necessarily true. In the winter this virus, as most contagious viruses, is more prevalent because people are in closed quarters because of the weather outside, this Winter being particularly bad. Pre-Cruise, the more people are enclosed the more likely they are to get sick, then bring this to a cruise ship that is again enclosed and more people are likely to get sick. Yes, it stems from poor heigine, but it is in fact more prevalent in the winter.

:o

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

This is more likely the source. And we always ignore airplanes as very good carriers of viruses. Why? The time we spend there is so short that you will not likely show symptoms while during the flight. So much so that you can have it, spread it, and then once you get to your destination, you show symptoms.

The other reason that the soruce is more likely to be passengers- the outbreak pattern on ships mirror the outbreak pattern to North America. While it's not a correlation, there's good matching of the timing.

Interesting that the timing of this outbreak actually matches some horrible weather in the area- which forces people to be more indoors and more intereacting.

The moral of my theory- do yourself a favor- keep as clean as you can. Just like every other poster has suggested.

I remember getting it once- we flew to my in-laws as one of them got really sick, which spread to my DW, so I cleaned the house with the best materials I could. Still got it. The hospital told us that there were a lot of cases, but on the diagnosis page, did not put that down- which really upset me. If the hospital tagged the virus, then others could be spared the problems via preventive action. Alas, it wasn't in the news, and many others got it.

Personally, I like to find the public bathrooms that are handicapped ready, so that there is an automatic door. I'm much less likely to touch my face with my elbow... :o

We are on this cruise. If they give us free internet I will come back. We are B2B but no information about how they will handle it is coming yet.

And yes, I got it, and am over it now. DW did not. I thought that I would write a little of diary of events and post them here.

Francis

My husband and I are looking forward to reading your diary of events. I'm glad you are over the illness. It's wonderful that your wife beat the odds.....good for her!!!!!!! I hope you are able to board the ship on the 31st to complete your vacation:)

Curious as to RCI's statement I read in an article that say that they are looking to "compensate" the passengers, but no specifics have been set...

Interested in cruising on the Quantum in May, 2015....First RCI cruise...We have sailed on the Disney Cruise Line, the Dream and LOVED IT!

Judging by what I have read about the Quantum, I am sure that we will LOVE that as well if we decide to book when the booking window opens...

As an "aside", anyone know what the itiniary will be for the Quantum for May, 2015...8 night Bahama you think?????

Much thanks for any advance insight!!!!

Hope that everyone who has become ill on the Explorer will recover fully and swifly!:):)

The last time I cruised RCL I contracted Norovirus, aboard Rhapsody of the Seas.

I have cruised for over 20 years but in recent years the cleanliness of the passengers leaves a lot to be desired. Why allow self service ?, a recipe for disaster. I'm finished with cruising, it is too dangerous.......................

Edited by mickey89

Bedding is what I am concerned about. Are duvet covers, blankets, and pillows changed out and cleaned after each cruise ends. I'm not sure if that is done in hotel rooms either.

All the bedding is changed out on turnaround day. The problem isn't with your cabin, because they do a thorough sanitization process on turnaround day. The problem is people getting on the ship.

We have cruised for over 40 years, and my husband and I have each had a serious upset stomach, no vomiting and no diarhhea, exactly ONCE EACH in this time period.

When a ship is in bad shape like the explorer is now does everything onboard close down? Is there still entertainment? Are the bars and lounges open? Do they close the pools? Are spa services still offered? Is it like a lock down situation? I'm curious to know what goes on if anyone could answer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean International

Explorer of the Seas will shorten its January 21 sailing by two days and return to Cape Liberty on Wednesday, January 29. Guests will be compensated for disruptions caused by an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness on the ship. No changes to future itineraries are planned at this point. Further information can be found via our Corporate Communications Twitter account, @RoyalCaribPR and at http://*******/KZwNRY.

I can't wait to hear that the compensation will be.

We are on this cruise. If they give us free internet I will come back. We are B2B but no information about how they will handle it is coming yet.

And yes, I got it, and am over it now. DW did not. I thought that I would write a little of diary of events and post them here.

Francis

Thank you for posting!!!!!! Please keep us updated. Our cruise friends Pam & Walt (Coboltblue) are on board and I hope they are OK!!!!!!! It is so sad to think that everyone's anticipated vacation has to end because of this awful "bug"! The news has been spotty and I am anxious to hear the "real story" from folks on board. Just the thought of being so sick, even for 24 hours, is devastating when on vacation.

It should be interesting how they provide for your B2B.

Sending prayers and good luck for you and all on board.

Tika

I'm in the group that uses as little sanitizer as possible for a couple reasons. In addition to making my hands itchy and incredibly dry, it's a poor substitute for good, old-fashioned soap and water! I think that liberal use of sanitizer gives people a false sense of security, and may even cause them to be less careful about proper hand washing.

I worked in large public schools as a teacher and a principal for 30 years. We had at least one major Noro outbreak every year. About 10 years ago, hand sanitizer was added to the school supply lists. Every student and every classroom had access to as much of the stuff as they could use. Guess what? We had at least one major Noro outbreak every year.:rolleyes:

Totally agree, Cindy. Hand sanitizer makes my skin peel, then I get an infection due to raw hands Soap and water is the only way to go.

Very true. And Purell does not kill norovirus.

It just takes a few people not to use common sense when they're sick. If you have communicable diarrhea, obviously you need to completely shower with soap and warm water after every episode to get the virus off your skin. Otherwise, you're just carrying it around the ship with you.

As others on here have stated, I have to wonder if the hand sanitizer doesn't give people a false sense of security:

"I don't need to wash my hands. There's hand sanitizer!"

Apparently, there has been a serious spike in the number of passengers/crew reporting ill. According to the most recent CDC report:

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 577 of 3050 (18.9%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 49 of 1165 (4.2%)

copied from http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/january21_explorer_seas.htm

Very sorry for those affected. Best wishes to all concerned. -S.

Edited by Salacia