Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Not a typo... This Explorer cruise is the 1/21 cruise that I'm currently on.

Understood.

But the previous post speculated that the next cruise might be cancelled, and that one would leave on 1/31. Since you are already on board, it is safe to say that the 1/21 cruise has not been cancelled, even though is sounds as if many on board may wish it had been.

Hope you are well and remain so for the rest of your trip!:)

Most women dont touch as much of themselves as a man does when using the toilet, as they normally use toilet paper to cleanse themselves. Not saying its not disgusting to not wash ones hands afterwards, but some just dont care.

As for boarding the ship while sick? People nowadays just dont seem to care if they infect others.

I used to work in a hospital, the visitors that were sick coming in to visit friends who were in say due to pneumonia or having had surgery but the sick friends jujst didnt care when we would ask them to leave.

Then when I had to have emergency surgery the hospital put me in with another woman who had open oozing sores, I wasnt happy as they were doing abdominal surgery on me so I pitched a fit until they moved me & had my family make sure when they brought me out of recovery I wasnt put back in that room. I still ended up with a partially collapsed lung but that had started occuring before my surgery.

The sad part about all of this for me is that its making me rethink doing a cruise the beginning of next year. Winter tends to have a lot of sick people or with run down immune systems who tend to think they will magically get better once they get on that ship headed south, so they will board sick or lie to board & then they get others sick.

:(

And I hope that those that got sick on the cruise are feeling better, good thoughts being sent your way.

Edited by FedoraDi

passengers can board with Noro not knowing they are sick. In that time that they've been through the ship before symptoms come on, they've exposed/contaminated many more! Two years ago in the nursing home I worked we struggled for 3.5 weeks against a Noro outbreak. Noro is not limited to cruise ships! But you won't hear that from FoxNews or Nancy Grace...

We were on a 28 night South Pacific cruise last year with Princess. They had a noro outbreak, and took precautions in the buffet for about 4 days. Then, it was over.

Since we eat in the buffet except for dinner, I always have hubby and I clean our hands with my little bottle of hand sanitizer when we sit down to eat, even if we've used the sanitizer at the entrance. I also keep a bottle of it in our cabin bathroom to use before we go out.

What you said is true ... and I know people complain about the 'washy washy' person standing in the entrance to the food ... but what about if they had the same system in the bathrooms? Course that mean a lot of extra personnel I suppose ... but 'just sayin'!! People DON'T always wash their hands after using the bathroom ... I've seen it too :(

. . . and, if they do wash their hands, they don't wash them for long enough to kill any germs.

We were on a 15 day cruise on the Island Princess and it really Pissed me off how many people didn't sanitize their hands before entering the buffet area or just refusing to do so because they didn't like the stuff.What really got me were people who licked their fingers while going the buffet and then touching the tongs, spoons, coffee cups and everything else in their path, has no one taught these people basic hygiene etiquette..:D

I totally agree. I work in a public library and I can't tell you how many times I see people in line with their library card in their mouth and then they want to pass it to me to sign out their material. I always make them hold it and wave the scanner over it. Some have the nerve to get nasty about it.

I can't imagine being quarantined in an interior room. I could just about handle it with a balcony.

Most women dont touch as much of themselves as a man does when using the toilet, as they normally use toilet paper to cleanse themselves. Not saying its not disgusting to not wash ones hands afterwards, but some just dont care.

As for boarding the ship while sick? People nowadays just dont seem to care if they infect others.

I used to work in a hospital, the visitors that were sick coming in to visit friends who were in say due to pneumonia or having had surgery but the sick friends jujst didnt care when we would ask them to leave.

Then when I had to have emergency surgery the hospital put me in with another woman who had open oozing sores, I wasnt happy as they were doing abdominal surgery on me so I pitched a fit until they moved me & had my family make sure when they brought me out of recovery I wasnt put back in that room. I still ended up with a partially collapsed lung but that had started occuring before my surgery.

The sad part about all of this for me is that its making me rethink doing a cruise the beginning of next year. Winter tends to have a lot of sick people or with run down immune systems who tend to think they will magically get better once they get on that ship headed south, so they will board sick or lie to board & then they get others sick.

:(

And I hope that those that got sick on the cruise are feeling better, good thoughts being sent your way.

I hear ya re your hospital visit. My younger son was born prematurely and was in the neo natal intensive care unit in the hospital. There were babies in there literally fighting for their lives so in order for me to visit, I had to scrub up to my elbows, wear a sterile coat, gloves, mask and cap. One day, I spot a 10 year old girl going from baby to baby with no protective gear. I asked her why she was visiting and she told me, " My mom is the director of the unit and she let's me come in to see the babies. " :eek:

I filed a formal complaint and ruffled a lot of feathers that day. Talk about irresponsibility!

When I see people licking their fingers on line at the buffet, I tell them to stop that, it's disgusting, you're touching the spoons now. Or I hate when they use their fingers and eat off their plate as they are on line at the buffet. It's gross.

In all fairness to Pia the OP, she started this thread on the Princess forum and it was moved here. Please look back at her post #15. :)

Edited by Off2China

i hear ya re your hospital visit. My younger son was born prematurely and was in the neo natal intensive care unit in the hospital. There were babies in there literally fighting for their lives so in order for me to visit, i had to scrub up to my elbows, wear a sterile coat, gloves, mask and cap. One day, i spot a 10 year old girl going from baby to baby with no protective gear. I asked her why she was visiting and she told me, " my mom is the director of the unit and she let's me come in to see the babies. " :eek:

I filed a formal complaint and ruffled a lot of feathers that day. Talk about irresponsibility!

wow!

I am pretty impressed with how RCCL is handling this. I got food poisoning in December at a resort in Cancun and the only response I got when I let them know is to tell me how clean their conditions are.

I do feel awful for the folks on board that are sick. Being sick - especially nausea and vomiting is the worst. And to top it off to not be at home in your own bed...and bathroom.

I hope they get well soon!

ashley@cruisecritic: I've just spoken with Royal Caribbean's PR department, and I'm told this is untrue:

"Hi Ashley,

We can confirm that the reported fatalities on the Cruise Critic message boards are false. It is a rumor and untrue. I've included our statement for your reference.

Royal Caribbean International Statement

January 26, 2014

During its current sailing, Explorer of the Seas has experienced an elevated number of persons with a gastrointestinal illness. Those affected by the short-lived illness have responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.

At Royal Caribbean International we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. Throughout the sailing, we have taken a number of steps to prevent the transmission of the illness, including implementing enhanced cleaning procedures and protocols, and using special cleaning products and disinfectants that are proven to kill norovirus to clean throughout the ship. These activities will continue as the sailing proceeds.

Additionally, in an abundance of caution, and in order to prevent additional guests and crew from becoming ill, the ship bypassed its port call to Labadee, Haiti, scheduled for Friday, January 24, in order to sail directly to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Once in San Juan, the ship underwent an extensive and thorough sanitizing to help prevent any illness from further affecting the cruise.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to our guests’ cruise vacation. This was a difficult decision to make; however, we feel it is best to make this itinerary modification to help prevent any more guests from becoming ill.

Explorer of the Seas arrived to San Juan at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 24. The enhanced cleaning of the ship, all of which is being done in close coordination with the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, continued until the ship departed San Juan at 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 25, as originally scheduled.

According to health experts, each year as many as 300 million people worldwide are affected by Norovirus. Only the common cold is more prevalent.

Explorer of the Seas departed Cape Liberty, New Jersey, on Tuesday, January 21, and is scheduled to call to San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

# # #

Regards,

Janet Diaz

Account Executive, Brand Communications

Royal Caribbean International"

But....but...but...the buzz on the ship says otherwise, according to some anonymous poster's sister's friend's third-cousin-twice-removed, who knows somebody who's dog walker is on the ship now!

Please stop complicating the issue with facts, MM!:D

Edited by 3CatsInMA

And the other thread has been removed as it should have been when it was started.

And, now the other threads have been combined which can be very confusing if someone hasn't been following them.

Edited by BND

And the other thread has been removed as it should have been when it was started.

And, now the other threads have been combined which can be very confusing if someone hasn't been following them.

Particularly my GOOD one, with the GOOD title.................:(

ashley@cruisecritic: I've just spoken with Royal Caribbean's PR department, and I'm told this is untrue:

"Hi Ashley,

We can confirm that the reported fatalities on the Cruise Critic message boards are false. It is a rumor and untrue. I've included our statement for your reference.

Royal Caribbean International Statement

January 26, 2014

During its current sailing, Explorer of the Seas has experienced an elevated number of persons with a gastrointestinal illness. Those affected by the short-lived illness have responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.

At Royal Caribbean International we have high health standards for all our guests and crew. Throughout the sailing, we have taken a number of steps to prevent the transmission of the illness, including implementing enhanced cleaning procedures and protocols, and using special cleaning products and disinfectants that are proven to kill norovirus to clean throughout the ship. These activities will continue as the sailing proceeds.

Additionally, in an abundance of caution, and in order to prevent additional guests and crew from becoming ill, the ship bypassed its port call to Labadee, Haiti, scheduled for Friday, January 24, in order to sail directly to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Once in San Juan, the ship underwent an extensive and thorough sanitizing to help prevent any illness from further affecting the cruise.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption to our guests’ cruise vacation. This was a difficult decision to make; however, we feel it is best to make this itinerary modification to help prevent any more guests from becoming ill.

Explorer of the Seas arrived to San Juan at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 24. The enhanced cleaning of the ship, all of which is being done in close coordination with the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, continued until the ship departed San Juan at 10:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 25, as originally scheduled.

According to health experts, each year as many as 300 million people worldwide are affected by Norovirus. Only the common cold is more prevalent.

Explorer of the Seas departed Cape Liberty, New Jersey, on Tuesday, January 21, and is scheduled to call to San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

# # #

Regards,

Janet Diaz

Account Executive, Brand Communications

Royal Caribbean International"

Okay wonder really how it is onboard? Sounds like a damge control statement to me.

Edited by Jimbo

Okay wonder really how it is onboard?

Posted earlier today:

Hi Carol...

I'm on this Explorer cruise and no mention of the ship being detained and cancelled at this point even though I've heard that it's a possibility.

No updates from Captain yet as CDC was to be onboard today.

Will update if I get confirmation of any kind.

It's not just the buffet and door handles that could be a source for a norovirus outbreak like this one. My head is about exploding on another forum featuring a couple of entitled parents who want to sneak their swim-diapered kids into the pools against RCCL rules, or put a "small" wading pool on the deck for their non-potty-trained kids to splash in. (And then, no doubt, dump it out across the deck and spread fecal contamination as they go.) There are lots of stories about norovirus outbreaks linked to swimming pools. Grrr.

How come in their official statement for your reference they could not update how many more are sick since the CDC posting? and what their plans are for the rest of this cruise and the cruise on the 31st?

Some real information would have been alot better.

Jimbo:)

Regarding drapes etc. being cleaned. We were on a ship with noro when our traveling companions' room steward came down with noro. Their cabins were cleaned with hazmat suits. Drapes were replaced along with the sofa cushions and other items. It was a first leg of a b2b. Ship was thoroughly cleaned and no one had noro on the second leg. Amazing job by RC.