jerk center

help04me

I already tried the port of call threads but no responses so I thought I would try this .

has anyone been to 22 duke street in Falmouth the location of the jerk center that was featured in guy s family cruise tv special on food network. if so was it worth it and is it walking distance from the rc port. secondly did you feel safe enough

Not safe enough to walk, we were just there in December, Falmouth is disgusting. We went outside the gates walked about 2 blocks , turned around and went back, didn't feel comfortable at all, despite all the police in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

I already tried the port of call threads but no responses so I thought I would try this .

has anyone been to 22 duke street in Falmouth the location of the jerk center that was featured in guy s family cruise tv special on food network. if so was it worth it and is it walking distance from the rc port. secondly did you feel safe enough

There was a little shop in the gates that sold Jerk when I was there last and it was great. the best part, I did not have to enter the 'real' Jamaica and worry myself sick about what could happen. That country has such great natural beauty to be so dangerous. Very sad...

Not safe enough to walk, we were just there in December, Falmouth is disgusting. We went outside the gates walked about 2 blocks , turned around and went back, didn't feel comfortable at all, despite all the police in the area.

Not OP, but I thank you for this information. That's what we had heard too and now you have pretty much solidified what we were thinking as well.

There was a little shop in the gates that sold Jerk when I was there last and it was great....

Awesome! We'll be there. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks to everyone who responded I thought that might be the case I will try the spot within the confines of the rc compound and do a ship day . already did dunns river and tubing down the white river and shaw park on my 2 previous trips .I used rc excusions then but still felt that the area wasn't safe. thanks again

Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought it might be referring to the smoking on balcony thread? ;)

Actually I though of something else. I thought it was best to to steer OP to trip advisor. I was afraid to see what what I would get when I google the words "Falmouth Jerk Centre". ;)

Surprisingly top of the list was the restaurant.

Keep in mind that anywhere you go, even in your own hometown, you have to be aware of your surroundings. If you are worried about not being safe, then just stay within the gates ... there are shops and a few places to eat and drink at the pier. Better yet, stay onboard and enjoy the pool deck all to yourself, which is actually quite nice when everyone else is off the ship!

You could also arrange for transportation ahead of time and go to Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, about 1/2 hour away. http://www.reggae-tours.com/.

Having been to Jamaica a number of times, I would have stayed onboard, but it was my fiance's first time there, so we did venture outside the gates, bought some hand-crafted carvings, went for beer and jerk chicken (I cannot remember the name of the place, but it was good and super cheap), and then went to some of the local markets to shop for curry and spices to bring back home.

We did not bring attention to ourselves by wearing any jewelry, cameras, purse/wallet - nothing that is visible, and stayed on the main streets. While there are some sketchy characters in town, we encountered some friendly people that are just trying to make a living.

Evryting Irie!

Just because rci takes passengers to ports that look different than back home does not mean they are not safe. If one goes into town you will see many passengers just walking around.

I agree. I think many cruise passengers get a false perception that every Caribbean port should be like Disney World.

Keep in mind that anywhere you go, even in your own hometown, you have to be aware of your surroundings. If you are worried about not being safe, then just stay within the gates ... there are shops and a few places to eat and drink at the pier. Better yet, stay onboard and enjoy the pool deck all to yourself, which is actually quite nice when everyone else is off the ship!

You could also arrange for transportation ahead of time and go to Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, about 1/2 hour away. http://www.reggae-tours.com/.

Having been to Jamaica a number of times, I would have stayed onboard, but it was my fiance's first time there, so we did venture outside the gates, bought some hand-crafted carvings, went for beer and jerk chicken (I cannot remember the name of the place, but it was good and super cheap), and then went to some of the local markets to shop for curry and spices to bring back home.

We did not bring attention to ourselves by wearing any jewelry, cameras, purse/wallet - nothing that is visible, and stayed on the main streets. While there are some sketchy characters in town, we encountered some friendly people that are just trying to make a living.

Evryting Irie!

Makes sense, but the best way is to make sure you are not alone, and best to travel with several people.

We've never had any trouble because my husband is large and not friendly looking. Heck! He's just plain not friendly, and most people leave him alone until they actually talk to him.

Edited by pcur

I thought we had a disgruntled poster who was talking about this RCCL board!!! :D
haha not at all the only time I have been out in Jamaica was at ocho rios in oct 2010 from the freedom back then once we left the compound we was bombarded by cabbies and vendors. aggressively every 5 feet that is the only reason I ask. granted we was the only ship in that day and they was only trying to make a living

our first trip out of the country (U.S.) was to Jamaica in 1979. We did not feel safe then and have never returned, even though we did feel that the country is beautiful and has incredible potential.

Reading many of the comments about the country in its current state remind me specifically of what we saw and felt when we were there.

It is really too bad since I was hoping that Falmouth would be their salvation. I will not book a cruise that stops in Jamaica unless I plan on staying on the ship during the visit.

In my humble opinion

-Jim

how does that convert to us dollars and thanks for the pic s

The current exchange rate is a little over 100 Jamaican dollars per US dollar.

Just about everyone takes (and prefers) US currency.

If you do go to the Jerk Centre in Ocho Rios, add up your potential bill ahead of time so you have an idea what the approximate cost will be. They tried to over charge us big time there until our driver (also from knowjamaica) straightened them out. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk