Bring wine

cruising ann

Because of the cork screw, it seems every time I bring wine I have no problem with the wine but they either hold up our luggage, one boarding I did not get my bag till 10pm but they did not touch cork screw, or the TSA inspector wants to confiscate it. Few weeks ago, when boarding the Silhouette the inspector was very understanding and just let me go with the cork screw.

If I just brought the bottle to the one of the bars and asked them to open it so the wife and I could enjoy some wine on the veranda, would they do this? Also, would they charge a corkage few like if I brought a bottle to the MDR?

Because of the cork screw, it seems every time I bring wine I have no problem with the wine but they either hold up our luggage, one boarding I did not get my bag till 10pm but they did not touch cork screw, or the TSA inspector wants to confiscate it. Few weeks ago, when boarding the Silhouette the inspector was very understanding and just let me go with the cork screw.

If I just brought the bottle to the one of the bars and asked them to open it so the wife and I could enjoy some wine on the veranda, would they do this? Also, would they charge a corkage few like if I brought a bottle to the MDR?

Yes - the fee is $25.

We brought a bottle with a glass or two left in it and were going to be charged $25 to drink the glass of our wine. We declined so they held the wine for us during dinner, and gave it back at the end. We had plenty in a bottle that we purchased the night prior so we drank that.

Had we had a full bottle we would not have minded paying the corkage, but not for the small amount that was left. I thought since there was such a small amount left, they might not charge the fee, and I read on these boards that many are never charged. Funny -I could have carried the wine in, already in the glass, with no problem.

The corkage is fair - but on the higher side of what we are used to paying in our area.

enjoy

M

You can get a corkscrew from your cabin attendant along with wine glasses if they are not already there.

Dave

From the TSA's blog...

"Corkscrews are a little tricky, but also permitted. Let's be clear, corkscrews without knives. We know many corkscrews have the little knife that help cut the metal wrapping on a bottle, those are not allowed, but the little corkscrews with no knife are. Clear? No? Let's try this.

Fancy schmancy corkscrews with knives, no. Cheap corkscrews with no knife, yes"

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/05/tsa-urban-legends-nail-clippers.html

Edited by wpgcycler

For those that have brought wine, do you purchase special box or wrap in bubble wrap and clothes?

Terrified it will break :eek:

You know luggage handlers are a little "rough" and then there is Murphy's Law....

Thanks for sharing what works!

debra

You can get bottle sleves at any wine store, the Container Store, and most Dollar stores. We try to fly in a day early, find a Total Wine or such, then add them to our luggage. Helps stay under the weight limit on the flight!:D

From the TSA's blog...

"Corkscrews are a little tricky, but also permitted. Let's be clear, corkscrews without knives. We know many corkscrews have the little knife that help cut the metal wrapping on a bottle, those are not allowed, but the little corkscrews with no knife are. Clear? No? Let's try this.

I had one with the roller foil cutter at the end instead of the blade. Flew all over the US with it, no problem. First time into Heathrow, I got it confiscated, and all of my carry on was "strip searched." I put it in my checked baggage ever since.

For those that have brought wine, do you purchase special box or wrap in bubble wrap and clothes?

Terrified it will break :eek:

You know luggage handlers are a little "rough" and then there is Murphy's Law....

Thanks for sharing what works!

debra

We just got back yesterday from the Reflection and we took wine. Two flights and the ships luggage handling. No problems. We used Wineskins (http://www.wineskin.net). They are available from the Container Store locally or through Amazon. $2.99 per. They are bubble wrapped inside with a thick plastic outer bag that seals water tight in case the bottle does break. They worked great. Sealed the bottles in the Wineskins and then wrapped clothes around them in the suit case.

We took two 750 ml bottles in our carry on last yr on Equinox, which I believe is the rule. Not a problem...The girls enjoy the before dinner wine and cheese on the balcony each day..We have the drink package, but wonder if anyone has tried to push the bar up and bring two larger 1.75 liter bottles on by chance? Not trying to be petty, but they enjoy a certain sangria and if we could, we would bring the larger bottles..

Things learnt from these boards and our experiences:

1 - Best to buy in port pre-boarding if you can (saves the issue of the airlines) - for Port Everglades, have your taxi driver swing by "Total Wines" they have a great selection. You can pre-order, run in and pay and continue on to port.

2 - I have a "wine carry bag" a nice leather bag that holds two bottles. (These are available at most places that sell wine accessories or I imagine quite a few online/internet supplier options) It keeps the wine on packaged its own and makes it easy to carry. I have never packed in our main luggage due to the "naughty room" and resulting potential delay to get luggage. Security has never looked twice or even commented as they screen it through the x-ray. On a B2B, we carried 2 bottles each through security and onboard with no incident (two for each cruise) We were prepared to give 2 over for end of cruise (for cruise 2). Didn't happen.

3 - I usually buy NZ Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc or Oyster Bay for room/balcony consumption. It is screw cap so no issues with corkscrew. A nice champagne also eliminates need for the corkscrew. Room steward has brought cork screw without issue when we had a corked red in the past. Room steward also happily keeps wine in bucket topped up with fresh ice daily and supplies glasses. We also pick up clean glasses from the bar to save the RS work (I'm not sure how the "room glasses" would be cleaned and it's easier for them to just take them away). I like to "chill" my glasses in the ice bucket by inserting them upside down for a couple of minutes prior to pouring (keeps wine cooler longer in the warmer climes)

4 - On occasion, I pour generously into a wine glass and travelled to dinner from stateroom - but typically I just order in MDR as the wine doesn't make it to the table most of the time (slurp:cool:). If you take the bottle out of the stateroom you will be charged corkage.

5 - There are some palatable wines that you can flight with dinner if you opt for the drink package option on 123 perk offering. I start each night with Prosecco (I let the sommelier know and it is waiting for me each night) and go from there. At least once a cruise I have a nice port with the cheese plate for dessert (it's a treat!)

6 - X has some excellent bottled wine drink packages available - that said I am the only wine drinker, I opt for my cabin bottles and use my drink package to flight my wines by the glass.

Let me know if there's anything I didn't cover.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by pxy cda

I've carried cork screws in my checked luggage and in my carry on (to the ship not airplane) and never had a problem. If you need a bottle opened then ask your cabin steward for a corkscrew but ask in advance as it might take them awhile to find one.

Despite the name, the "corkage fee" is not a fee for opening the bottle. It is a fee for consuming a bottle of wine in a location that sells wine. On Celebrity this is charged if you want to consume your wine in one of the ship's dining areas or at one of their lounges. There is no corkage fee for consuming it in your cabin. If you take a bottle just to be opened and let them know you are taking it back to your cabin then you should have no problem.

...wonder if anyone has tried to push the bar up and bring two larger 1.75 liter bottles on by chance? Not trying to be petty, but they enjoy a certain sangria and if we could, we would bring the larger bottles..

I've read a lot of postings and threads about this and here is a summary of what's been posted. Prior to a couple years ago the policy was silent on bottle size. A couple years ago they started changing the printed policy so that it indicated up to two bottles of 750ml or less each. There might still be some old versions around without this language.

Most reports that I've read on Cruise Critic indicate people have had no issue bringing larger bottles of wine, or boxes of wine, on board. But there are definitely some reports of these being confiscated and not allowed on. So while the odds might be in your favor you have to be prepared to have your wine confiscated. So I wouldn't even consider a large bottle of expensive wine. And if you want to be sure your wine will make it on board then stick with bottles no larger than 750ML.

Someone on a board for another line said they used blow up water wings to put over the bottles that they bought in various ports. Some bottles took more than one, but they worked great. Seems like it would take up some extra space, but they brought an extra suitcase to bring goodies home. They picked up the floaties at the dollar store. Thought it was clever.

From the TSA's blog...

That is an old link (2009) and the policy has been relaxed for nearly a year now - even corkscrews WITH little knives are permitted now as carry ons by TSA.

http://vinecdote.com/blog4/2013/03/tsa-oks-corkscrews-carry-on-luggage/

Yes - the fee is $25.

We brought a bottle with a glass or two left in it and were going to be charged $25 to drink the glass of our wine. We declined so they held the wine for us during dinner, and gave it back at the end. We had plenty in a bottle that we purchased the night prior so we drank that.

M

One or two glasses left?? There only three in a bottle lol:eek:

We just got back yesterday from the Reflection and we took wine. Two flights and the ships luggage handling. No problems. We used Wineskins (www.wineskin.net). They are available from the Container Store locally or through Amazon. $2.99 per. They are bubble wrapped inside with a thick plastic outer bag that seals water tight in case the bottle does break. They worked great. Sealed the bottles in the Wineskins and then wrapped clothes around them in the suit case.

THANK YOU! Great info and no stained cruise clothes~

Cheers!

debra:p