No New Ship Builds for Celebrity Brand at least thru 2017.

Bababooey Land

Unfortunately, as we are all awaiting some news on a potential new Celebrity ship class, it doesnt seem like it will happen anytime soon. In RCL's earnings Press Release this morning, they announced the following:

"we do not anticipate an additional newbuild delivery in 2017"

Capacity increases were announced for 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. they all consist of the new Quantum ships (3 are expected to be built).

So if a new Celebrity ship is to be announced, the delivery date will be at least 2018.

Conference call is at 10am. If anything else is announced regarding the Celebrity brand, i will post it.

Excellent news. The longer it takes to start putting the X brand on monsters for 4000+ passengers the better. I'd have no problem with more Solstice or Millenium class ships, but when things get too big it will be the end of my time with Celebrity.

The new ship market seems more and more to be segregating into behemoths for the "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" market and more intimate vessels like big versions of the M ships. It will leave a lot of older, mid-sized vessels slowly moving over to the niche lines, as people like RCI kick them out of the fleet.

I'm presently booked on the Millenium cruise on May 10th from Japan. It is about 2/3 full. I know this isn't a very popular itinerary but they can't even give this cruise away. The prices are already really reasonable.

My understanding is that the cruise lines are just keeping their heads above water and that they are riding the waves. The economy is not predicted to improve in the near future. If Celebrity isn't filling up their ships at these low prices- that means there isn't a demand for more ships to fill.

I am happy with the Millenium Class ships- although I would like to see movies at night by the pool (but not during the day). This would be a nice addition IMO to the Celebrity vessels.

Rebecca, I doubt Celebrity are too worried about the 10th May sailing not being full as it is immediately preceded by the lucrative charter they took on. Several of us were on double or triple B2Bs and got dumped off the original more attractive Shanghai to Vancouver itinerary.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

I'm presently booked on the Millenium cruise on May 10th from Japan. It is about 2/3 full. I know this isn't a very popular itinerary but they can't even give this cruise away. The prices are already really reasonable.

My understanding is that the cruise lines are just keeping their heads above water and that they are riding the waves. The economy is not predicted to improve in the near future. If Celebrity isn't filling up their ships at these low prices- that means there isn't a demand for more ships to fill.

Open your eyes, the economy is already improving. And it's not a matter of "Celebrity isn't filling up their ships at these low prices".... you're looking at ONE itinerary and making an assumption about the entire line. That ONE itinerary is, as you yourself said, not very popular. But it's a necessary one to reposition the ship from Asia back to Alaska for the summer season. If they can make enough money on the Asia cruises and the Alaska cruises, that offsets some of the loss on the repositioning cruise.

Capacity increases were announced for 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. they all consist of the new Quantum ships (3 are expected to be built).

Are all three slated for Royal for sure? Could one be possibly be deck-out for celebrity? :confused:

Just asking.

Edited by A Sixth?

I am happy with the Millenium Class ships- although I would like to see movies at night by the pool (but not during the day). This would be a nice addition IMO to the Celebrity vessels.

interesting..because RCL Corp has a different tone about Asian Cruises. your sailing could just be a one off.

"Load Factors and pricing are up significantly for sailings in Europe and Asia"

I know they had pricing and load problems last year when the China/Japan feud made RCL change itins.

Are all three slated for Royal for sure? Could one be possibly be deck-out for celebrity? :confused:

Just asking.

this is from the press release..they way i read it, no new additional builds for RCL or Celebrity. based on CAPEX ###, they have one ship in 2014, one in 2015 and one in 2016. with zero in 2017.

could they announce something for delivery in early 2018?? its possible..but that announcement is far away. the RCL brand (primarily megaships) seems to be doing better than Celebrity, so the company is focusing on the megaships. the megaships wont work on the Celebrity Brand, IMO.

"

Based upon current ship orders, projected capital expenditures for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 are $1.3 billion, $1.3 billion, $2.1 billion and $0.3 billion, respectively.

"We remain committed to improving our shareholder returns, returning to an investment grade credit and maintaining moderate growth," said Fain. "We think that the ships we have on order for our wholly-owned brands will serve us well and we do not anticipate an additional newbuild for delivery in 2017."

Capacity increases for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 are expected to be 1.7%, 6.9%, 6.7% and 4.1%, respectively. These figures do not include potential ship sales or additions. In the fourth quarter of 2014, the Royal Caribbean International brand takes delivery of the first of three Quantum class vessels. This is the first new ship delivery for the brand since 2010.

"

Just asking.

IMO: 2 Quantum class, 1 extra Oasis class , 2 TUI cruises newbuild=5 in total for the parent company's brands. == X == has nothing in the oven.....

Cheers

p.s I can't tell you enough how much I do NOT miss the BackEast winter:rolleyes:.....Having lived in Montreal & Laval for years before settling in Vancouver....I do have memories ...still have family in Ste-Adele, Brownsburg & Montreal....feel bad for them though...:o

During our January 4, 2014 cruise on Reflection our cruise director answered a question from the audience about Celebrity's plans for new ships by stating Celebrity has no plans to add to it's fleet for several years. They just finished an aggressive build-out of the S Class ships and will spend the next few years building up a more professional crew, better cruising destinations, and new shows and on-board entertainment options for each of the existing ships.

So if a new Celebrity ship is to be announced, the delivery date will be at least 2018.

I don't have a problem with that. I've been aboard ships of the lines comparable to Celebrity and I think Solstice Class is far ahead of them.

During our January 4, 2014 cruise on Reflection our cruise director answered a question from the audience about Celebrity's plans for new ships by stating Celebrity has no plans to add to it's fleet for several years. They just finished an aggressive build-out of the S Class ships and will spend the next few years building up a more professional crew, better cruising destinations, and new shows and on-board entertainment options for each of the existing ships.

I think this is a good idea. Keep the current fleet up to date and build up the on board experience. The current fleet is not that old.

Very true and just fine with us. We feel the ships they currently have offer great choice and go to great destinations. We would not like to see them build any larger ships than they currently have. As a shareholder, we do not feel they need to make another big expenditure at this time these five new ships suit us just fine. Just our opinion

I may have missed it but is it true Celebrity is not planning any new ships until 2017?

Hi Neeko,

I've merged your thread, into this thread of the same topic.

Excellent news. The longer it takes to start putting the X brand on monsters for 4000+ passengers the better. I'd have no problem with more Solstice or Millenium class ships, but when things get too big it will be the end of my time with Celebrity.

The new ship market seems more and more to be segregating into behemoths for the "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" market and more intimate vessels like big versions of the M ships. It will leave a lot of older, mid-sized vessels slowly moving over to the niche lines, as people like RCI kick them out of the fleet.

Totally agree. We liked the S-Class in the beginning. But meanwhile, we started to prefer M-Class. (Even loved the Century most last fall)

In fact, planning to take our first Oceania Cruise this year.

As a shareholder, we do not feel they need to make another big expenditure at this time these five new ships suit us just fine. Just our opinion

They suit you just fine as a shareholder or as a passenger? Sounds like that part of your statement is being spoken from a passenger's perspective.

I agree. I dislike the mega ships and as a shareholder I think they should stay the course

Again.... do you dislike them as a passenger or as a shareholder?

I am hearing statements about being a shareholder, but the dislike for mega ships sounds more like the personal preference of a passenger who is actually on the cruise, not that of a shareholder.

Hi Drychi,

Frankly, I'd be perfectly fine with that. When Celebrity introduced 5 S-Class ships over 5 years, we've noticed a decline in service and entertaiment - though a notable improvement on Eclipse in November. I'd love to see Celebrity catch their breath, and focus on what made them a fantastic cruise line.

Another member made a comment about the next generation of Celebrity's ships being significantly larger. The fact is, larger ships are far more profitable, and the bottom line is what matters to any CEO. While I truly hope that significantly larger ships are not in Celebrity's near future, I feel it's more than likely, and would further diminish the onboard experience. If Celebrity insists on building much larger, I'd much rather they invest in their current fleet, improve the onboard experience, and defer newbuilds as long as possible.

They suit you just fine as a shareholder or as a passenger? Sounds like that part of your statement is being spoken from a passenger's perspective.

Again.... do you dislike them as a passenger or as a shareholder?

I am hearing statements about being a shareholder, but the dislike for mega ships sounds more like the personal preference of a passenger who is actually on the cruise, not that of a shareholder.

It is actually our preference from BOTH a passenger and shareholder perspective.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers