No New Ship Builds for Celebrity Brand at least thru 2017.

Bababooey Land

ONLY A SAD PREDICTION NOT BASED ON ANY INFORMATION< RUMORS OR FACTS:

There will be no new builds until 2020 at the earliest. However, as the "S"Class ships go into dry dock for major renovations we will see a "Reflectionizing" of the ships. The Sky Observation Lounge on the ships will be cut in half to add new Suites and the Glass Show will be replaced by a Lawn Club Grill. It's about revenue, revenue and revenue. Just review the recent RCL earnings report and the conference call. Don't want to see this happen, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Now back to just lurking.

ONLY A SAD PREDICTION NOT BASED ON ANY INFORMATION< RUMORS OR FACTS:

There will be no new builds until 2020 at the earliest. However, as the "S"Class ships go into dry dock for major renovations we will see a "Reflectionizing" of the ships. The Sky Observation Lounge on the ships will be cut in half to add new Suites and the Glass Show will be replaced by a Lawn Club Grill. It's about revenue, revenue and revenue. Just review the recent RCL earnings report and the conference call. Don't want to see this happen, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Now back to just lurking.

I can see the above. A shame to muck up the ship design with the addition of suites.

I hope that when Celebrity moves forward with its next generation of ships, it keeps them at the Reflection level. It has the extra deck over the other S class ships.

Having said the above, we have sailed Allure of Seas and want to sail her again. It is a different cruise though. We loved the solarium at the front of the ship and for us, we loved Samba's, a speciality restaurant.

They could add some entertainment/dinner venue that I think would be interesting. We use to go to a dinner theater and very much liked that product offering. It was not a huge venue but would require more space, maybe an additional deck. Maybe, Celebrity is waiting to get feedback on the Quantum launch later in 2014. I am interested in the entertainment venue. I think it is called two70.

I did think I read that Celebrity in the recent financial call indicate they 'passed' on another build of a 2nd Reflection style ship that there was an option on.

Edited by shipshape sam

It is actually our preference from BOTH a passenger and shareholder perspective.

If a large ship is a money maker, how can you not like that as a shareholder? Easy to see how you could dislike it as a passenger, but if it makes money, how can you dislike it as a shareholder?

My point is that it's very likely that one's preferences as a shareholder can be different from one's preferences as a passenger. That makes it hard to be objective. :)

If a large ship is a money maker, how can you not like that as a shareholder? Easy to see how you could dislike it as a passenger, but if it makes money, how can you dislike it as a shareholder?

My point is that it's very likely that one's preferences as a shareholder can be different from one's preferences as a passenger. That makes it hard to be objective. :)

A larger ship does not necessarily make more money. Look at some of the other cruise lines. Quality is more important then quantity. Large expenditures for larger ships will not always translate into greater revenues. I think what Celebrity has now works. Again. Just my opinion

Totally agree. We liked the S-Class in the beginning. But meanwhile, we started to prefer M-Class. (Even loved the Century most last fall)

In fact, planning to take our first Oceania Cruise this year.

We have done a lot of cruising sounds like you did not sail on the old X Zenith & Horizon they were smaller then Century?

We have sailed both Azamara which has the exact same size R class ships as Oceania. We have sailed both we enjoyed Azamara more then O but both ships have a large very senior demographic and are very sedate. Or are you doing Marinia?

We have always preferred the M class ships since entro.

I agree that it would be a good idea to raise quality of staff it is stretched very thin.

Personally I am glad there is to be no more hardware for a period. IMHO, attention has been too focused on trying to staff and roll out new ships and this has contributed to some of the oft reported issues on these boards.

Celebrity needs to settle down and concentrate on the software, the quality of the onboard experience, food, entertainment etc.

Post recession all the research is pointing to a consumer focused on quality not quantity.

And I say that as a shareholder as well as a cruiser

A larger ship does not necessarily make more money. Look at some of the other cruise lines. Quality is more important then quantity. Large expenditures for larger ships will not always translate into greater revenues. I think what Celebrity has now works. Again. Just my opinion

I never said a large ship was automatically a moneymaker. What I asked was IF it was, how could someone possibly dislike that, as a shareholder?

Several people mentioned that they were shareholders, yet the reason they didn't want larger ships built seemed to be because they, as passengers, preferred the smaller ships. I was simply pointing out that the preferences of a passenger and those of a shareholder can easily be in conflict with each other, and I think people's views as passengers were overshadowing the goals they might have as a shareholder if they were only a shareholder and not also a passenger. Make sense?

For instance, if you say "As a shareholder I don't want them to build mega ships because I prefer sailing on the smaller ships" then you really aren't speaking as a shareholder; you're speaking as a passenger.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

we just returned from a cruise with the Millennium.

On the "Cocktail with the officers" Event the HR Manager told us they plan to build two new ships, a little smaller than the Solstice Class ships...

If I understood it right, before 2017...

Flensburg

Hi,

On the "Cocktail with the officers" Event the HR Manager told us they plan to build two new ships, a little smaller than the Solstice Class ships...

Flensburg

Some of us have heard the same thing, and even though I believe it, there are a lot of naysayers here. Just saying... :)

I'm presently booked on the Millenium cruise on May 10th from Japan. It is about 2/3 full. I know this isn't a very popular itinerary but they can't even give this cruise away. The prices are already really reasonable.

My understanding is that the cruise lines are just keeping their heads above water and that they are riding the waves. The economy is not predicted to improve in the near future. If Celebrity isn't filling up their ships at these low prices- that means there isn't a demand for more ships to fill.

I am happy with the Millenium Class ships- although I would like to see movies at night by the pool (but not during the day). This would be a nice addition IMO to the Celebrity vessels.

If you would like to see movies at night, why not sail on a line that offers them? My guess is that most people who sail on Celebrity prefer not to see MUTS. There are lines that offer what you want. Why ask a line that doesn't to change? Maybe there's a reason they don't.

If you would like to see movies at night, why not sail on a line that offers them? My guess is that most people who sail on Celebrity prefer not to see MUTS. There are lines that offer what you want. Why ask a line that doesn't to change? Maybe there's a reason they don't.

Based on previous threads I absolutely agree with you, most of the posters on this board are definitely not in favor of MUTS on Celebrity ships.

Hi,

Flensburg

That would be great and I think would attract a lot of Princess passengers. They just announced they'll be no new builds smaller than Royal and Regal.

That would be great and I think would attract a lot of Princess passengers. They just announced they'll be no new builds smaller than Royal and Regal.

And if there is anything that many of us have learned over the years, it is that the rumor mill on board Celebrity ships even among those supposedly in the know if less than accurate.

And if there is anything that many of us have learned over the years, it is that the rumor mill on board Celebrity ships even among those supposedly in the know if less than accurate.

Don…you are so right. The rumors one hears onboard are never ending.

One interesting tid bit I heard aboard Eclipse from one of the senior officers on our TA last year was that the Quantums were originally supposed to sail under the Celebrity flag. Whether it was the economy or negative results from focus groups or what I do not know but they decided to go with the major revitalization of the Millenniums and send the Quantums to RCL instead. I have never tried to verify this but did find it interesting nonetheless.

Don…you are so right. The rumors one hears onboard are never ending.

One interesting tid bit I heard aboard Eclipse from one of the senior officers on our TA last year was that the Quantums were originally supposed to sail under the Celebrity flag. Whether it was the economy or negative results from focus groups or what I do not know but they decided to go with the major revitalization of the Millenniums and send the Quantums to RCL instead. I have never tried to verify this but did find it interesting nonetheless.

I find that rumor to be impossible to believe. I rather doubt that Celebrity would include bumper cars, sky diving, "pod on a stick" observation contraptions (North Star), or "NCL's budget cruise line style" Dynamic Dining on their ships. These would be 180 degrees opposite from what Celebrity promotes themselves as being.

Edited by fortinweb

Sorry, the quote function isn't working.

Actually, not to hard to believe that the Quantum was originally intended as a Celebrity ship. On the Quantum, above the shopping mall are windows to the outdoor promenade, just as on the Solstice class ships. At least, I think that is what I am seeing.

635503373096506486-2014Quantum1-002.JPG

Edited by emileg

Sorry, the quote function isn't working.

Actually, not to hard to believe that the Quantum was originally intended as a Celebrity ship. On the Quantum, above the shopping mall are windows to the outdoor promenade, just as on the Solstice class ships. At least, I think that is what I am seeing.

635503373096506486-2014Quantum1-002.JPG

Hmmm....and look at the "X" design above the shops on the windows? Am I the only one seeing this???

haha...oh well, it's fun to speculate!

I for one would not want these larger mega ships as part of X. I'm not interested in bumper cars, rock climbing walls or water slides either.

Shawn

Hi,

Flensburg

I was told the same thing by a Training Manager on my last cruise. We were talking about how it would be smaller than the S-Class, but larger than the M-Class, with the technological advances of the Quantum Class.....sounds like the perfect ship to me!

FWIW, at least one of the senior officers on Summit made mention of the next new ships starting builds in 2015 and delivery in 2017. This was in response to someone asking if Summit and the other Millenniums being sold to other lines in the future. Take it for what it's worth. Personally, I won't believe anything until I see an X on a funnel.