Paying to reserve chair?

luvbermuda

Years ago when we took our first cruise on Holland America, we paid to reserve a chair by the pool for the week.

Do any cruise lines to this?

To me, this would be so much easier than trying to scout around to find a chair! I am an early riser and when I walk around in the morning, I see about 30 chairs already covered with towels, magazines, etc. by 7:30 AM.

If you do not get to the pool by 9AM, you cannot find a chair!

Because of this, we spent to reserve a cabana in the Alcove for our coming cruise but it would be nice to know you have your own chair by the pool waiting for you everyday.

I see some chairs "occupied" all day with things and only a person for a few minutes.

I wonder if the cruise lines have ever considered changing their policy about this.

Princess offers this, or at least they did on our last Princess cruise. They have an area called the sanctuary where you can reserve a chair by the day or the week. Then, it's all yours, whenever you want it. No one else can sit there, even if you're not in it. Cost I think was a little over $100 for the week. I thought it was well worth the money. Sanctuary area is adults only, quiet, relaxing.

How aggravating to see lines of chairs reserved for a week and nobody there all day as they are Touring ashore.

We would NOT be happy with any Line that did that.

Brian

Well, the Sanctuary is a separate area where you only go if you have bought a pass, so it's not like a row of prime chairs by the pool that are all marked "Reserved." It's quiet, peaceful, relaxing with special servers. Celebrity sort of does this, it has alcoves up on the lawn on some of their ships which are reserved and paid for by the day. No one can sit there unless they've paid the fee, and it is reserved all day only for those who have bought a pass.

Celebrity will be starting to install a recliner model of this over the summer.

http://boingboing.net/2010/08/18/coin-operated-park-b.html

:D:D:D

As for the OP's suggestion... I find it abhorrent. Offering to pay Celebrity to reserve a chair which you won't use all day is just as rude as leaving a flip flop on it. And as for the flip flop leavers... if I'm on your cruise and I need a chair, don't expect to find your flip flop where you left it.

Well, I felt if they offered a special section to reserve chairs and you paid for it, it should not bother anyone else.

I did not mean all the chairs but for anyone who wants this, it should be a consideration.

People leave things on chairs all day, don't use them and other's are left walking around trying to find chairs.

I would never think of removing someone's things from a chair. If necessary, I would ask an attendant to do so.

How about an alternative :

My idea of hell is sitting in the sun by the pool. Why can't the cruise line pay me to give up my right to the chair and the sell it to someone who wants it. Or cut out the middle man and the OP can pay me directly not to sit there !

I'm another one that isn't all that interested in laying by the pool. Heck - I live in FL and the only one that uses our pool is the dog. :D When I do want to lay out on the ship - I prefer to be away from the pool and the noise, I do like the solarium. Chair hogs couldn't get away with it if the rest of us would speak up and have the pool attendants remove their things. Same goes for babies in diapers and small children in the hot tubs. People need to speak up.

My solution to the whole chair hog thing is to "stool hog". What's that you ask? Sit at the pool or mast bar all day drinking beer and have the bartender save your spot while you go into the pool for a quick refreshing cool off (beer drinking is hard work), then resume the position on the stool. Note you will need to reward the bartender accordingly. That's my tip for the day.

Cheers

I can understand people from florida or other hot places not wishing to spend their holiday lying by a pool. However... Believe me I'd you lived in the rainy North West England like I do where if you're lucky would get 10 sunny days a year. (nine of which you spend at work inside) then a summer holiday in sun is vital. There is a reason why Germans and English have sunbed wars in the sunny med every summer. ;)

Lying by the pool in the hot sun and reading is the most important part of my holiday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You do know the alcoves are not anywhere near the pool?

I can understand people from florida or other hot places not wishing to spend their holiday lying by a pool. However... Believe me I'd you lived in the rainy North West England like I do where if you're lucky would get 10 sunny days a year. (nine of which you spend at work inside) then a summer holiday in sun is vital. There is a reason why Germans and English have sunbed wars in the sunny med every summer. ;)

Lying by the pool in the hot sun and reading is the most important part of my holiday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

In contrast to you, I live in the sunny deep south, Sheffield. We also have a place in Filey for when it gets too hot here.

Pass the popcorn! Here we go again.....:D

There wouldn't be a problem if Celebrity staff enforced Celebrity's own rules. There is such rampant disregard for the rules due to the lack of enforcement. The same is true of babies and toddlers in pools and hot tubs.
Edited by JTSpitfire

You do know the alcoves are not anywhere near the pool?

Yes, thank you.

We figured we would try it and see how it works out.

Sounds relaxing!!:)

IMHO, you will be glad you did, and enjoy them. Last Nov on the Reflection half of the loungers were farther away from the 'pool' than the alcoves, especially those on the Solstice Deck 16.

Edited by wallie5446