Balcony or not

kittymom

Nobody else can really answer that for you, don't you think?

I had a balcony and it was worth very penny to me because I enjoyed the peace and quiet of my own balcony versus the crowded open decks at times. There were also plenty of times that I wanted that 360 degree view so I spent time on the deck.

Is a balcony worth the investment? If you have that disposable income, I'd say yes.

Is it necessary? No. If I were on a budget I would much rather spend that money on an excursion, and just go up on the open decks when you want the views. There are simply way too many great excursions to miss out on in Alaska.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Freehike

I've cruised Alaska three times with inside rooms, once with an aft facing window (which was totally pure luck to get!). The only way we can afford to go on the trip and do all the excursions we want is to go with an inside room.

As other posters have said - really in the end it's up to you. The whole point of this sailing is the beautiful view outside. Do you want to be able to go to your room, slip in to comfy clothes and then walk right outside and see the view? Or are you okay with finding spots on the public decks to watch the world go by?

There are plenty of viewing points from most ships that are public, but the real question is do you want to have to leave the cabin to see the beauty that is outside?

For me, I am happy to find a few great places to watch the world go by with a blanket and my husband to keep me warm. Do I felt like I've missed seeing things? No, because we only use our cabin to shower, dress and sleep. We like to be out and about and the cabin is only for relaxing. Being able to move side to side on the ship is also nice. We've seen many, many whales because we were able to quickly go from one side of the ship to the other. You can't really do that with a balcony unless you are facing out the front or back, which is not usually the case. To stay out on public decks you just have to pack accordingly. I will say that glacier days end up being really long when you don't have a balcony, but I like the trade off of taking an excursion every port (and in most cases more than 1 vacation each year).

Edited by tampafish

I am going to take a cruise to Alaska in may/june timeframe. I was wondering if it is worth the money to get a room with a balcony. I plan on doing the Inside Glacier cruise but also a lot of excursions. can anyone help?

IMO Alaska is the one place where a balcony is a must.

IMO Alaska is the one place where a balcony is a must.

Totally agree. For most cruises, I consider a balcony to be a total waste of money. In Alaska, it is great to have one, even if you also spend a lot of time in deck. There is nothing like sitting on your balcony with a glass of wine in your hand watching sea otters gambol off the side of the ship.

DON

A balcony is a must for us regardless of where that cruise is taking us ;)

Agreed! I know everyone's budget and circumstances are different, but we won't go on any cruise without a balcony. We generally spend a lot of time there relaxing, eating, and enjoying the scenery.

A balcony is a must for us regardless of where that cruise is taking us ;)

What she said! I don't cruise if I can't afford a balcony. The other costly excursions (whale watching, flightseeing) hold no interest for me.

So each person has to decide "what is best" for them.

I have a different response from most people here. I would rather go to Alaska every year in an inside cabin than not go at all, or only once every 2-3 years. I'd rather spend my money on excursions. I am rarely in my cabin anyway, usually out on deck somewhere. If it was a "once in a lifetime" trip, I would probably get the balcony, but I live in Seattle and can go frequently as long as I go cheaply.

>SNIP<

Is a balcony worth the investment? If you have that disposable income, I'd say yes.

Is it necessary? No. If I were on a budget I would much rather spend that money on an excursion, and just go up on the open decks when you want the views. There are simply way too many great excursions to miss out on in Alaska.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IMHO this is the best answer ever on the "balcony/no balcony for Alaska" debate. If you can afford a balcony AND all the shore excursions you want to do, get the balcony. If getting a balcony means you need to cut back on shore excursions, get a less-expensive cabin.

I spend my $$$ on shorex. I can't afford both a balcony and great shorex, so I get an oceanview cabin and make use of all the public decks.

We just booked our first cruise to Alaska so I can't say if it's worth it or not. But I agree with others. If you can afford it do it. If it means sacrificing shore excursions that you'd love to do, don't get it.

I'm like another poster - I won't cruise if I can't get a balcony. I need to see what's going on and get fresh air if I need it without going up on deck!

My DH would be fine without one but it's a must for me!

We will be traveling with my mom and 2 aunts and this is a once in a lifetime for them as they are older and won't do this again. So I talked them out of the inside cabin to the balcony so they can also have constant views when they are in the cabin. On our last cruise my family was on the balcony a ton. We ate breakfast there a few times, DH and I sat out there at night when kids went to sleep and we enjoyed it while getting ready for the day or dinner/night plans.

My DDs took their dolls out there and played quite a bit and that was priceless seeing the dolls and their gear hanging out on the balcony chairs ;)

To some people it's not important at all and if that's you, you have to decide

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The most beautiful and flexible views come out on deck or the covered lower all around balconies and are free and often uncrowded after the first 30' you sail into a view area.

If you can afford it a balcony it is nice. But the reality is that weather could be variable and you will likely get just a beautiful views from other free parts of the ship. If doing balcony crimps your excursion budget go inside. If it doesn't then comes down to what you like or don't mind wasting money. Yes a balcony is throwing money away, but I do it on 50% of my cruises :D

We're doing our first Alaska cruise with Princess this May and decided on a Window Suite on the Grand. For the price of a mini-suite or even a balcony you can snag a 341sq foot Window Suite that has full suite amenities but no balcony, instead it has two large windows. Since we're traveling with our lil one and it'll be cold and most likely rainy we figured we could get away without a balcony and enjoy a few more perks in it's place. Honestly tho, no matter which you choose you'll have a fab time :) Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did an Inside Passage cruise with an inside cabin. It was what we could afford.

We spent a lot of time in the Crow's Nest so we had a panoramic view. Also, lots of time spent wandering around the ship. I think we saw a lot more than if we sat on a balcony on one side of the ship - but that's just my opinion.

I'd rather sail more often in an inside cabin than wait until we saved up enough for a balcony.

• 3 weeks later...
I am going to take a cruise to Alaska in may/june timeframe. I was wondering if it is worth the money to get a room with a balcony. I plan on doing the Inside Glacier cruise but also a lot of excursions. can anyone help?

For us it was the only cruise we have been on. I wanted a balcony and we did have some extra money, but as others have said it has to be up to you.

We are going back to Alaska in 2017 and will be getting an Oceanview instead of a balcony for me as long as I have natural light then I am good.. I would rather spend my money on other parts of my vacation.

Good luck with your choice.:)

What a decision. I had a hard time with this myself. Not only do I LOVE a good balcony, but I've loved some good balconies (two glorious corner afts on our previous journeys). This time planning for Alaska & taking all the family with us, we had to make some compromises.

It was hard to make the no balcony decision, but a few factors helped. I live in Vancouver, so this will not be my only oppertunity to cruise Alaska. Normally we don't cruise with the whole family. The next time we cruise a balcony through Alaska should be much more affordable.

So this cruise I'm taking it for the team with an Family Oceanview. The plus, it fits 5 & is way cheaper than two cabins. It is big & bright with BIG real windows (not the smaller port holes) facing forward at the very front of the ship. While our families other cabin is an accesible balcony cabin on the same level. I suspect I will be spending a good deal of time over on their balcony to make up for the loss of my own. :)

All said, if you can be flexible & it's not your only trip to Alaska, I say go inside or even better, go Oceanview. Whatever you pick, have fun!!!

There was a time that I would have said that a balcony is necessary or at least a good idea for Alaska. But as time has gone on I realize how little time is spent on the balcony due to cool or inclement weather and the number of port days. With that I have come around to the view it is not necessary. Yes, there are people who will post about the days they sat out on their balconies, wrapped in blankets sipping hot chocolate and good on them but they really are in the minority. IMO save the money, book an OV and splurge on an extra excursion.

There was a time that I would have said that a balcony is necessary or at least a good idea for Alaska. But as time has gone on I realize how little time is spent on the balcony due to cool or inclement weather and the number of port days. With that I have come around to the view it is not necessary. Yes, there are people who will post about the days they sat out on their balconies, wrapped in blankets sipping hot chocolate and good on them but they really are in the minority. IMO save the money, book an OV and splurge on an extra excursion.

I also recall the cruise one May, sitting on my balcony in my shirt sleeves, this included Hubbard, and Glacier Bay.

john

For me it's not just the price difference when it comes to an inside cabin. It's a matter of sleep. I sleep better in a dark place. We just got back from a western Caribbean cruise and was delighted one morning when we woke up and we had slept in til after 10! Heavenly!

For me it's not just the price difference when it comes to an inside cabin. It's a matter of sleep. I sleep better in a dark place. We just got back from a western Caribbean cruise and was delighted one morning when we woke up and we had slept in til after 10! Heavenly!

Wow, I have never slept until 10 in my life. I'm 67 years old, and since I've been married for 50 years, my internal alarm clock says 5:00 am is wake-up time. I don't even have to set the alarm for work anymore, and my body doesn't seem to know I'm on vacation. No natural light would make me terribly claustrophobic (I'd actually go crazy in about 20 minutes).

If it were up to me, there would be no inside cabins on cruise ships, the space would be used for something else. My first cruise to Alaska we had an ocean view, then I did a short Pacific Northwest cruise last minute deal for a mini-suite @ $399 pp. I loved that balcony and have never looked back. If I couldn't afford a balcony, I wouldn't cruise until I could.

I would not be interested in flight seeing (small plane, no way), or whale watching (small boat, no way) or any of the $$$$$ excursions. Just savor walking through the rainforest, seeing the Bald Eagles, even a bear at Mendenhall Glacier. Everyone has their priorities. Only the OP Knows what works best for them. Happy travels to all.

Edited by agabbymama