Princess vs Celebrity, my personal opinions....

Ebvette

Entertainment is better on Princess, really?

The theater can not handle the passenger loads on the ship so they reduced the length of the show to 30 minutes so they can jam in 3 shows a night.

Even then not enough capacity to seat a full ship.

You still have to show up a 1/2 hr early to get a seat as people are lined down the corridor waiting for the doors to open.

They have a few more venues for entertainment but none can handle the demand.

A standard balcony on X has a small sofa and table in it.

We just did Crown in November and stayed in a mini suite and yes it is bigger but costs way more then regular balcony cabin on Princess which is smaller without a couch.

The amount of space ( square footage ) per passenger has to be way higher on X then Princess for her ships to feel so less crowded.

The dinning rooms (MDR's ) on Grand class have low ceilings and are dull and claustrophobic, reminiscent of a hall.

They are quieter then X but do not have that open 2 story in the middle ballroom feel.

On X you feel like dinning is an occasion when you enter the dinning room.

My experience on Grand class ships.

Entertainment is better on Princess, really?

The theater can not handle the passenger loads on the ship so they reduced the length of the show to 30 minutes so they can jam in 3 shows a night.

Even then not enough capacity to seat a full ship.

You still have to show up a 1/2 hr early to get a seat as people are lined down the corridor waiting for the doors to open.

They have a few more venues for entertainment but none can handle the demand.

A standard balcony on X has a small sofa and table in it.

We just did Crown in November and stayed in a mini suite and yes it is bigger but costs way more then regular balcony cabin on Princess which is smaller without a couch.

The amount of space ( square footage ) per passenger has to be way higher on X then Princess for her ships to feel so less crowded.

The dinning rooms (MDR's ) on Grand class have low ceilings and are dull and claustrophobic, reminiscent of a hall.

They are quieter then X but do not have that open 2 story in the middle ballroom feel.

On X you feel like dinning is an occasion when you enter the dinning room.

My experience on Grand class ships.

As mentioned in my earlier post, we were not impressed with the shows, which had no live music. They were about 40 minutes in length, but apart from the early show you needed to be there half an hour early to get a seat.

I agree with you about the dining rooms, but DH liked the more intimate setting - he thought the sound volume was less and the tables for two were slightly further apart.

These are not deal breakers, although the MUTS in the daytime might be if our next Princess cruise was not so port intensive.

Sheila

I am a little confused about each person recieving a tote bag and then the flashlight thing.

I have been in AQ many times on different ships and we never got 2 totes or a flashlight must be something new since we sailed in Nov 2013.

Other than that a few years ago we were on the Ruby Princess. Nice ship but I like the Celebrity brand much better and I think the OP covered most of the differences. One thing that Princess has in its favor is the coffee card but it is not enough to get me back.

🌅🌴🍸🍺

We have been given lots of the Blue with the Faux leather that fold up small but turn into a carry on bag. We give them away as gifts once home.

You should get 2 white nylon and mesh travel bags full of spa toiletries when you start your cruise in AC. We keep these, very good for the gym, pool and light to pack stuff in your suitcase.

The wife was given a large Gold X carry bag on our last cruise same as they sell in the gift shop.

Aqua class is the next step above Concierge, so Concierge has most of his extras but not all.

From his description:

"Aqua Class cost includes the following, every day a bowl of fresh fruit, bottled water, fresh flowers, hors d'oeuvres, and also, day you leave port a cold bottle of champagne on ice in your room, room scent, many spa items in the bath, bigger shower with six to eight shower heads. plush terry cloth robs, and slippers, and larger staterooms than Princess staterooms, and much larger bathrooms and showers"

you could say

"Concierge Class cost includes the following, every day a bowl of fresh fruit, fresh flowers, hors d'oeuvres, and also, day you leave port a cold bottle of champagne on ice in your room, plush terry cloth robs, and slippers, and larger staterooms than Princess staterooms, and much larger bathrooms and showers"

Which shows that Aqua class has the extra...

"bottled water, room scent, many spa items in the bath, bigger shower with six to eight shower heads."

Note that on top, Aqua class also has Blu dining room, as he mentioned separately, and access to the relaxation room in the spa.

Thanks! Very helpful! Based on this, I would spend the extra for Aqua just to try Blu. I don't see us doing CC in the near future. Thanks again!

We have been given lots of the Blue with the Faux leather that fold up small but turn into a carry on bag. We give them away as gifts once home.

You should get 2 white nylon and mesh travel bags full of spa toiletries when you start your cruise in AC. We keep these, very good for the gym, pool and light to pack stuff in your suitcase.

The wife was given a large Gold X carry bag on our last cruise same as they sell in the gift shop.

We have always got one white mesh bag with the slippers and etc and one fold up tote bag with those handles but not one for each person in the cabin. That is what I am questioning plus the flashlight?

🌅🌴🍸🍻

For the price, you just cannot beat Celebrity -- and yes, if you are lucky enough to snag an AQ room for a decent price, you will be in your little heaven.

I am elite on both lines and definitely prefer Celebrity - they just don't have a lot of cruises on the west coast - but they are worth the flight.

There are things I like about Princess, with the Caribbean Princess being my favorite ship in their fleet. I love MUTS, the popcorn they serve at night, milk and cookies in the afternoon and the blankets set out on the lounges. Lately, though, it doesn't seem like you can get a seat at MUTS for the evening movies, so that is kind of a bust. Also, there seems to be a plot to hide all the blankets now so you have to sign your life away to get one if you can find somebody to check for one or two in the backroom. They never come back out....think they must be in there hiding. Getting a pool towel or should I say, dry pool towel, on Princess is also joke. They guard those things like they maybe their paycheck depends on keeping them hidden. No so on Celebrity....as many as you could possibly need. Love that!!

I have never seen the rules enforced on Princess in terms of kids running around and screaming, jumping in the adult pool and even the hot tubs in diapers. Really? YUK!

I love the International café and while some ships in the Princess fleet have decent to really good food in the buffet and the MDR, some of the ships have downright disgusting food (the Star Princess comes to mind). Blu is incredible!!

On Princess, I like their closets that are open so much better and their nightstands actually hold what you need them to hold. The rooms are larger on Celebrity though and a better layout. The bathrooms are so much nicer on Celebrity. The mattresses and pillows on Princess are horrible but both are wonderful on Celebrity.

I like the theater set ups so much better on Celebrity -- enough seats for the passengers that want to go to the show. The entertainment on both is pretty good but the centrum entertainment on Celebrity still beats all.

The benefits of elite are good on Princess -- free laundry and internet minutes (a lot) but here again, the complimentary cocktail hour amongst other benefits on Celebrity beat out the Princess benefits.

for the price, you just cannot beat the experience you get on Celebrity....IMHO>

It's too easy to be overly picky about the line I like less. The simple fact is that apart from criticizing every little thing, both lines are quite similar and choosing one over the other boils down to a matter of taste. For years the food and dining room service was far better on Princess, less so now. That's my taste and you might not agree. Princess itineraries have always been more to my liking but X's ship have more appeal. Entertainment on both generally stinks and I try to avoid it. We can go on ad infinitum but when push comes to shove, it's personal taste and one's experiences on board which may not be valid fleet wide. For example, I really thought the food on Infinity last April was terrible on many nights; that is not indicative of Celebrity food on other ships. Fact is that we have tended towards X recently, as we are so near Elite +, but we've been Elite on Princess for a long time with great expense and certainly don't intend to desert either line, as each has its strengths and weaknesses. Besides, I don't want to be a shill for either line unless they pay me :)

What we liked about the entertainment on Princess was not the main shows but the extra entertainers they brought in before sail away at each port on the British Isle cruise. They were great and really added to the local atmosphere.The best entertainment we have had was on another line:NCL.

It's too easy to be overly picky about the line I like less. The simple fact is that apart from criticizing every little thing, both lines are quite similar and choosing one over the other boils down to a matter of taste. For years the food and dining room service was far better on Princess, less so now. That's my taste and you might not agree. Princess itineraries have always been more to my liking but X's ship have more appeal. Entertainment on both generally stinks and I try to avoid it. We can go on ad infinitum but when push comes to shove, it's personal taste and one's experiences on board which may not be valid fleet wide. For example, I really thought the food on Infinity last April was terrible on many nights; that is not indicative of Celebrity food on other ships. Fact is that we have tended towards X recently, as we are so near Elite +, but we've been Elite on Princess for a long time with great expense and certainly don't intend to desert either line, as each has its strengths and weaknesses. Besides, I don't want to be a shill for either line unless they pay me :)

They are not similar when it comes to reviews and ratings!

If one takes the time to read the Cruiser Choice Awards 5 of the top 10 ships for Best Food are X ships. Ruby Princess makes it at number 10 the only Princess ship to make the list.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Dining&sort=large

You may think it is the same but the majority of Princess cruisers rate Princess food low and the majority of X cruisers rate the food on Celebrity higher.

When it comes to entertainment X has one ship at number 10 and none for Princess.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Ent&sort=large

Big winners 4 RCCL, 2 Disney and 3 NCL. These lines specialize in on board entertainment so tough to break the ranks but X made the top 10.

The Quntaum of the Seas will take away the X spot when she launches.

But once again X is rated higher then Princess.

Best Cabins, X scores 5 in tthe Top 10, Princess none.

You will find threads on Princess about bad mattress's and such none on X.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Cabin&sort=large

Best Public Rooms, X scores 5 in the Top 10, Princess none.

Not sure if even the new Royal Princess will make the list next year with her new Piazza as there have been negative reviews posted by some that it is noisy.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Public&sort=large

Best Overal, X scoes 4 out of 10 Top spots, Princess none.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Public&sort=large

Even in Best Alaskan cruise, Princess scores 4th Topped by HAL and the Carnival Spirt!

Princess cruisers pride them selves on being the best line to sail Alaska?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Alaska&sort=large

Princess has just launched their biggest and newest ship the Royal and it has been savaged in the CC reviews. Lots of threads about her on the Princess CC site.

Royal Princess will likely not make it into any top 10 list for best of anything next year.

I am willing to bet RCCL's new Quantum will make it her 1st year in a bunch of catagories.

Celebrity has stated they will not be building new ships for about 5 years and will be concentrating on improving staff training and ship standards after the S class build out which has streched resources.

Funny thing is the S class ships are placing so well in the awards yet X wants to raise them higher.

Best Service, X places 4 times in the top 10, Princess does not make the list.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Service&sort=large

Do you notice a theme, I do and it is Princess does not score well by the majority of people who sail on her ships.

This is not my personal opinon but the results of the Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice Awards.

If one takes the time to read the Cruiser Choice Awards 5 of the top 10 ships for Best Food are X ships. Ruby Princess makes it at number 10 the only Princess ship to make the list.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Dining&sort=large

You may think it is the same but the majority of Princess cruisers rate Princess food low and the majority of X cruisers rate the food on Celebrity higher.

When it comes to entertainment X has one ship at number 10 and none for Princess.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Ent&sort=large

Big winners 4 RCCL, 2 Disney and 3 NCL. These lines specialize in on board entertainment so tough to break the ranks but X made the top 10.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Cabin&sort=large

Not sure if even the new Royal Princess will make the list next year with her new Piazza as there have been negative reviews posted by some that it is noisy.

Even in Best Alaskan cruise, Princess scores 4th Topped by HAL and the Carnival Spirt!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Alaska&sort=large

Princess has just launched their biggest and newest ship the Royal and it has been savaged in the CC reviews. Lots of threads about her on the Princess CC site.

Royal Princess will likely not make it into any top 10 list for best of anything next year.

I am willing to bet RCCL's new Quantum will make it her 1st year in a bunch of catagories.

Celebrity has stated they will not be building new ships for about 5 years and will be concentrating on improving staff training and ship standards after the S class build out which has streched resources.

Funny thing is the S class ships are placing so well in the awards yet X wants to raise them higher.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?category=Service&sort=large

Do you notice a theme, I do and it is Princess does not score well by the majority of people who sail on her ships.

This is not my personal opinon but the results of the Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice Awards.

It's really kind of laughable though seeing as you're talking about less than 5% of the cruising market.

It's really kind of laughable though seeing as you're talking about less than 5% of the cruising market.

It is a very vocal part of the cruise market and you participate in the mix.

So if you disparage the opinion of the 5% then your own opinion is of no worth as well.

It is what it is, it is not my opinion or yours but the opinion of those who review ships on Cruise Critic.

So for whatever reason those who sail on Princess do not review their experiences on her ships as high as those who sail on X.

Of course CC does not have a category for Best Promenade which I understand you value but if that is important to one it works into the experience rating of the ship.

If you look at the Conde Nast ratings the S Class top the Grand Class as well.

Not sure where one can get data to support your opinion?

Edited by baldercash

So I was part of the group on the "Concerts at Seas" Rock and Roll Cruise on the Caribbean Princess that departed Bayport Houston on 18 Jan, returning on 25 Jan 2014. Thought I would compare my own experiences between Celebrity and Princess lines. Not bad mouthing any of the cruise lines, just expressing my impressions and experiences between the two.

Background,

In the past I have had 2 cruises with Celebrity, well over 23 Cruises serving on US Coast Guard Cutters in the North Atlantic and Caribbean Sea, and had a job where I went on fishing boats installing Loran C equipment for extended fishing on Georges Bank in the Atlantic, so I know my way around ships both military and commercial.

But I want to focus this on the Cruise on Princess Lines as to the Cruise on Celebrity. Let me make it clear, we enjoyed our cruise with Princess Lines, and found everybody on the crew friendly and efficient, but just want to provide you my personal feeling on the two cruise lines.....

Positives:

Specifically about the Caribbean Princess, a very nice ship. I loved the fact that Princess ships have so many pools, deck chairs, and especially smaller bars, and several dinning rooms that you can attend while at sea.

We found the ship to be very clean, fairly well maintained, and our cabin girl (Mary Ann) was very prompt and kept the room very clean. We certainly lucked out, regarding our weather and sea conditions, although the ship was late leaving by three hours due to a scrub down for the Noro Virus, we still managed to board quickly by 3:30 PM, and ship was underway leaving dockside by 6:20 PM. We made all three port of calls, and I found booking and paying for the excursions easy, as you paid once on board the ship, so you did not have to pay in advance. Love the Ice Cream and Pizza bars. We celebrated our 20th Anniversary, they provided two balloons, a card, and a sticker on the cabin door. Liked the little international café that served soup, light meals, and deserts.

Now about the Celebrity Cruises: We book the Aqua Class, which has many different options, that includes something like the Serenity Area, that is included, and my review is based on the Aqua Class, that Princess does not have. Celebrities Aqua Class provides only that class with your own Dinning room called BLU. Aqua Class cost includes the following, every day a bowl of fresh fruit, bottled water, fresh flowers, hors d'oeuvres, and also, day you leave port a cold bottle of champagne on ice in your room, room scent, many spa items in the bath, bigger shower with six to eight shower heads. plush terry cloth robs, and slippers, and larger staterooms than Princess staterooms, and much larger bathrooms and showers. We celebrate our anniversary on Celebrity, they provided a cake and bottle of Champagne with card, with chocolate covered strawberries, no additional cost. Celebrity Captain was out an about the floor during the evenings, meeting the passengers, very available as well as the executive officer. Immediately when you board Celebrity you are handed a glass of Champagne or Orange juice, and once in the dinning room before you leave the port you can purchase a special mixed drink, both with liquor or without, and keep the glass. Layout of the ship was much easier to remember and get around, not as many pools, but had larger putting green on real grass. When you return from a day in port Celebrity has set up as you board a tent that contains cold water, fruit juice, and cold washcloths. Although trivial, towels made into animals several times during the cruise, a novelty, but still nice to see and experience. On board TV, you could order many movies in your room, more selection of programing, including more news and weather channels. Although you paid $15.00 per head, you had a very nice afternoon tea. More people engaged in Formal Night than what I witnessed on the Caribbean Princess. Prices for onboard activities much cheaper, including mix drinks, wine, and specialty restaurants, were cheaper. Two toot bags, one for each person, plus little flashlights, and couple other free things. A set of binoculars in the room for your use. Much more on the room service menu to choose from, especially the breakfast menu. Everyplace on the ship you had hand wash stations to clean your hands, only seen them in the dinning areas on the Princess ship. Celebrity had many more waiters, both in the common areas and on the deck.

Disappointments:

For the Princess Cruise, never saw the captain, executive officer, or any other high ranking officer the entire cruise. No champagne at all, none when you board, nothing in your room, nothing at all. Paid more for my balcony state room that I did for the Celebrity balcony state room with the extra Aqua Class. Food was fair, not bad, nothing to brag about. Stateroom was small, bath was a closet, closet was decent, and storage was decent. Balcony was good size. Bed mattress, felt the springs, so I assume mattress was well worn. No extras, one tot bag was provided. The shops had limited sizes on clothes, for example I wanted to buy a Princess Cruise polo shirt, only had sizes small and medium in men's, asked if they will be getting larger sizes, told no. Clothes seemed to be very overpriced, especially anything related to Princess Line Logo. Other stores had good stock, good brands. Drinks and wine seemed to be very very expensive, I don't recall paying as much on the Celebrity Line for mixed drinks or glass of wine. Price of cruise was very high compared to Celebrity, and seemed like you got less. Photographs that were taken was VERY expensive at $25/ 8X10/photo...only bought a couple because of the price. When you return back to the ship from being out on a day in port, no greeting by crew, no smile, just show me IDs. I could only find ice tea in the buffet top deck, nothing in bars, as I don't drink liquor, I had to settle for either tap water, or orange juice, OJ was not fresh but from a concentrate mixed by bartender. Had to ask for ice in my room several times. Sent laundry out on two occasions, both time had to call to get it sent to room, arrived late by several hours. TV was in corner on top of high shelve with limited visibility from the bed, remote never seemed to work right. Too much Trivia. Formal Night was really not enforced and few actually went formal, many shorts and t-shirts, very few tuxes and formal gowns. Princess seems to be much more laxed and less formal than Celebrity. Very limited choices on the room service menu, especially the breakfast menu. Celebrity had three times the choices for all types of meals and snacks for room service.

Celebrity Cruise disappointments: Seems like you could never get a deck chair, as they only had a couple of swimming pools. Limited deck space to walk around, most of the area was inside the ship. Many of the bars are in the open, not in rooms like Princess, making it not so personal, seems like you have many people always walking by. I really can not think of many more disappointments with Celebrity, departed on time, arrived back in port on time. Ice Cream was limited on the Celebrity ships and seemed to run out, closed the ice cream bar early by 7:00 PM they seem to run out of ice cream both hard and soft.

Overall, I enjoyed both cruises, but feel Celebrity is a much better cruiseline and offers many more options than Princess. Think in the future I will try Holland (sister to Princess Lines), or go back to Celebrity.

Look, these are my own feeling and based on how I was treated and what was received by both cruise lines. You may not agree, but again these are my impressions. So for my own choice, I like Celebrity.

Interesting, we came to just the opposite conclusion after doing two back to back 7 day cruises, one on the Celebrity Eclipse, in a Aqua class cabin and one on the Ruby Princess in a mini suite.

We give the edge to Princess. We enjoyed both cruises just as you did but preferred our mini suite on Princess to the Aqua class cabin on X. The Princess mini has a bath tub vs shower, is larger and has a much nicer layout with a private seating area near the balcony with a comfortable sofa.

We still book with both lines, we are elite on both. In the past we have booked CC class on X. Since all the cabins are the same on X, we have booked a 1B on our next X cruise on the Silhoutte. The money we save on the cabin, we will have to spend on board, were not impressed with BLU so that was another reason to not book a higher cabin again.

We could take or leave all the amenities in the Aqua class cabin, feel food and service on X is hit and miss in the MDR. In fact we prefer the buffet on X. We are able to special order off menu on Princess - X does not do a good job with special orders.

We cruise a number of cruise lines, Princess, HAL, X, Cunard and NCL.

It is a very vocal part of the cruise market and you participate in the mix.

So if you disparage the opinion of the 5% then your own opinion is of no worth as well.

It is what it is, it is not my opinion or yours but the opinion of those who review ships on Cruise Critic.

So for whatever reason those who sail on Princess do not review their experiences on her ships as high as those who sail on X.

Of course CC does not have a category for Best Promenade which I understand you value but if that is important to one it works into the experience rating of the ship.

If you look at the Conde Nast ratings the S Class top the Grand Class as well.

Not sure where one can get data to support your opinion?

And the Conde Nast poll simply shows that more Celebrity cruisers read Conde Nast than Princess Cruisers. These polls mean nothing in the real world. The post you started using the polls as evidence against simply said they are more alike than different, I agree. I'll reserve my judgement on the S Class until April when I'm on one, but I'm sure they're lovely.

I have been on both Celebrity and Princess ships. Started out on Celebrity, but more recently have tended to sail on Princess. A lot more similar between the two lines than different. Just completed a Princess cruise to the western Caribbean, will be going on an Australia to New Zealand cruise on Celebrity in March. I had planned to continue to sail both.

With that said Princess has recently changed their smoking policy (on Jan 1) to allow e-cigs everywhere on the ship other then the theater and the dining rooms. I expect to be dropping Princess as long as that policy remains in effect. While e-cigs do not carry the odor of regular cigarettes, a recent study does show that they negatively impact air quality when used inside. Primarily in elevated PM2.5 readings.

I guess if you're content to let others direct your life, following a poll result of questionable validity would be a wise choice. Your points would be more impressive if they reflected your views, not those of the faceless multitudes. I'll make up my own mind, thank you, without reference to what others think, especially when the "others" are people unknown to me. Again I say, I don't want to shill for any line unless they pay me. I don't recall ever reading a post that is so vigorous in its criticism of another cruise line. Are you on a crusade? What's up?

Edited by BosoxI

I have been on both Celebrity and Princess ships. Started out on Celebrity, but more recently have tended to sail on Princess. A lot more similar between the two lines than different. Just completed a Princess cruise to the western Caribbean, will be going on an Australia to New Zealand cruise on Celebrity in March. I had planned to continue to sail both.

With that said Princess has recently changed their smoking policy (on Jan 1) to allow e-cigs everywhere on the ship other then the theater and the dining rooms. I expect to be dropping Princess as long as that policy remains in effect. While e-cigs do not carry the odor of regular cigarettes, a recent study does show that they negatively impact air quality when used inside. Primarily in elevated PM2.5 readings.

The main problem I find with E Cigs is that people will use them as an excuse. If someone is aproached for smoking a real cigarette 🚬 they will produce a E Cig claiming innocence.

🌅🌴🍸🍻

And the Conde Nast poll simply shows that more Celebrity cruisers read Conde Nast than Princess Cruisers. These polls mean nothing in the real world. The post you started using the polls as evidence against simply said they are more alike than different, I agree. I'll reserve my judgement on the S Class until April when I'm on one, but I'm sure they're lovely.

So you are saying the demographic's are different between the two lines as more X cruisers read Conde Nast which is an up scale travel magazine?

They may ask you to select the cruise line one prefers or which is better and force those who respond to choose.

The CC reviews are not about choosing and have nothing to do with how many people write reviews about a certain ship it is about how the people rate their ship board experience on a specific ship.

So 2 reviews on a Princess ship one assigns a 1* and one a 5* this gives the ship 3* rating.

If you have ever done a review on a ship on CC your opinion is part of the rating of the ship.

It really is that simple, yes I agree Princess & Celebrity are very similar and you may think Princess is better. That is our opinion!

But the reviews are generated by all those who sailed Princess and posted a review.

These people have had no need to have sailed on X they are only rating their experience on Princess. The same applies to X cruisers and all other lines.

We then can compare what people think about one line to another and determine which delivers the best experience as determined solely by those who sailed the ship.

CC Cruisers that post reviews do not rate the Princess experience as highly as those who rate a Celebrity experience.

I guess if you're content to let others direct your life, following a poll result of questionable validity would be a wise choice. I'll make up my own mine, thank you. Again I say, I don't want to shill for any line unless they pay me. I don't recall ever reading a post that is so vigorous in its criticism of another cruise line. What's up?

This is Cruise Critic and I use it to glean information from fellow cruisers so I can generate an informed opinion about ships and learn about other lines you are a member because?

I am interested in you refuting the information I presented as it required very little effort to assemble it.

What is questionable about the poll?

We can all have a differing opinion but I find it interesting that so many X cruisers on a Celebrity thread take umbrage with the fact that the poll of their peers ship reviews are positive about Celebrity.

This is Cruise Critic and I use it to glean information from fellow cruisers so I can generate an informed opinion about ships and learn about other lines you are a member because?

I am interested in you refuting the information I presented as it required very little effort to assemble it.

What is questionable about the poll?

We can all have a differing opinion but I find it interesting that so many X cruisers on a Celebrity thread take umbrage with the fact that the poll of their peers ship reviews are positive about Celebrity.

Many people get offended if someone challenges their opinion. They think that they are the ultimate expert and what they say or think is all that counts and resent that any has the gall to disagree.

Edited by miched

Travel and Leisure also has polls. Here are the 2013 customer ratings.

In the Mega Ship category, Celebrity scored 85.07 and first place.

Princess scored 82.40 in 4th place. Disney and Cunard were second and third. RCL was #5 with 80.09. Not a very dramatic point spread for the 5 lines.

In the Large Ship category, Princess ranked 7 with a score of 82. Celebrity ranked 9, with a score of 80.92. It should also be noted that Princess climbed 3 positions this year, while Celebrity fell 2 positions..

I would say that the ships are pretty well matched in client ratings. ;)

Only one cruise line scored a 90....Crystal

So you are saying the demographic's are different between the two lines as more X cruisers read Conde Nast which is an up scale travel magazine?

They may ask you to select the cruise line one prefers or which is better and force those who respond to choose.

The CC reviews are not about choosing and have nothing to do with how many people write reviews about a certain ship it is about how the people rate their ship board experience on a specific ship.

So 2 reviews on a Princess ship one assigns a 1* and one a 5* this gives the ship 3* rating.

If you have ever done a review on a ship on CC your opinion is part of the rating of the ship.

It really is that simple, yes I agree Princess & Celebrity are very similar and you may think Princess is better. That is our opinion!

But the reviews are generated by all those who sailed Princess and posted a review.

These people have had no need to have sailed on X they are only rating their experience on Princess. The same applies to X cruisers and all other lines.

We then can compare what people think about one line to another and determine which delivers the best experience as determined solely by those who sailed the ship.

CC Cruisers that post reviews do not rate the Princess experience as highly as those who rate a Celebrity experience.

3 Disney ships beat all Celebrity ships in the Conde Nast poll, does that mean we all should be booking Disney now as it's clearly the better cruise line because Conde Nast said so. :rolleyes:

Travel and Leisure also has polls. Here are the 2013 customer ratings.

In the Mega Ship category, Celebrity scored 85.07 and first place.

Princess scored 82.40 in 4th place. Disney and Cunard were second and third. RCL was #5 with 80.09. Not a very dramatic point spread for the 5 lines.

In the Large Ship category, Princess ranked 7 with a score of 82. Celebrity ranked 9, with a score of 80.92. It should also be noted that Princess climbed 3 positions this year, while Celebrity fell 2 positions..

I would say that the ships are pretty well matched in client ratings. ;)

Only one cruise line scored a 90....Crystal

Oh, Mom. There you go confusing things.:p:p My original point was that for ME (and I made it clear that tastes do differ) there was not much difference between the two lines in question. There still isn't, as far as I'm concerned. For some reason a poster took umbrage at my opinion. Why?, I don't know, as it was clearly an opinion which criticized neither line or perhaps criticized them equally. It's clear to me that some posters adopt a cruise line and woe unto him who makes even the most gentle negative observation.

I've taken about 20 cruises on Princess and 15 or so on Celebrity. I do not need an unscientific poll to guide me in my choices, no matter whose poll it is; I trust my own eyes and my own experiences. CC is great for whiling away the hours on a lazy day, or for seeking specific information about a variety of things, but I do not let its members make personal decisions for me. Others apparently do, which is their business.

I guess the next bone of contention will be "Who has the most knowledgeable readers, Conde Nast or Travel and Leisure." Let the games begin!

Edited by BosoxI