Celebrity went out of their way

Cruise Raider

Celebrity seems to go all out to keep your booking from a travel agency. I called and was going to transfer my booking over to the TA I usually use and they matched the deal to keep the booking at Celebrity. I really like this -- as I can call 24/7 and manage my reservation. I even called when I found lower pricing on another online TAs site and they matched that in OBCs.

This kind of customer service goes a long way in my book!!

Oh....and the Celebrity agent said I should not hesitate to call back if I see any further price drops.

This is just one more reason why I love Celebrity so much. Another reason is I am making elite status at the end of March! Yooohooo :D

I have always thought this made sense. Similar to the hotels having the lowest price you can get on their own web page. I do all of my own research and would like to book direct with the cruise line, but who can give up hundreds of dollars of OBC from a TA? When we first started cruising, we needed a TA to explain things, but now after 9 cruises and reading CC, we know way more than any TA. Why should the cruise lines give a commission to a TA instead of discounting to me for booking directly with the line?

I have always thought this made sense. Similar to the hotels having the lowest price you can get on their own web page. I do all of my own research and would like to book direct with the cruise line, but who can give up hundreds of dollars of OBC from a TA? When we first started cruising, we needed a TA to explain things, but now after 9 cruises and reading CC, we know way more than any TA. Why should the cruise lines give a commission to a TA instead of discounting to me for booking directly with the line?

I have always found the price better on Celebrity site...all the major players have been more...even when they give all the extra perks....Celebrity still comes out the better deal.

Edited by 20pluscruises

Cruise Raider,

Was your original booking on board ship? or through Celebrity web site?

I have used a couple of the big on-line TA and one brick and mortar TA for my previous bookings, two of which were originally booked on a cruise and then a transfer.

This is good to know. I would be delighted to just use Celebrity and cut out the middle man if the bottom line is the same, which would include the promotions a TA would give me to book with them.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Celebrity.

I'm not sure I'm following this. I have always been quoted the same basic fare (except when the agency has a group booking) and find the real differences are in the OBC or gratuities my agent offers me.

For instance, on a cruise I have coming up in August, I have the 123Go and am taking gratuities from Celebrity and my TA is giving me $700 OBC. Are you implying that Celebrity would have matched that $700 Additional OBC to keep the booking? I'm pretty skeptical about that.

I have always found the price better on Celebrity site...all the major players have been more...even when they give all the extra perks....Celebrity still comes out the better deal.

I'm not sure I'm following this. I have always been quoted the same basic fare (except when the agency has a group booking) and find the real differences are in the OBC or gratuities my agent offers me.

Same here. A quick glance at Celebrity's web site prices, and then comparing them to any online TA, the prices will be identical. It's in the additional benefits that some TAs give where I only see any differences.

Edited by boogs

I found a much better deal online from a TA I have used in the past. They had a generous OBC that was combinable with the 1-2-3 deal. When I called Celebrity directly, they couldn't come close to matching the deal and actually encouraged me to grab it before I lost out!.

This is me as well. My TA has the exact same price at the X website, but was able to upgrade drink packages for nothing and give me a very generous OBC. I really doubt X would have given me all of that.

Forgive me if I don't buy that for a second. I've booked 30 cruises through online travel agents and have received a much better deal than going directly to the cruise lines. Besides Celebrity, I've done this with Princess, Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Holland America.

Contrary to other postings, a travel agent can sell a cruise for less than the line itself. They can book a block of rooms, get a nice discount, and pass it on to their customers.

Case in point: I'm booked on a B2B on the Equinox in October. It's a 13 day Med. cruise followed up by a 14 day transatlantic. We have a balcony and I paid $700 p.p. less than quoted on Celebrity's website. My downpayment was taken by Celebrity as well as the final payment, I'm sure, so they know exactly what I'm paying. Besides what I got from Celebrity, my travel agent is giving me $1,000 in obc. This high obc is an accumulation of several offers from them. I'd call Celebrity and see if they would match that, but I couldn't take all the laughing on their end.

The discounts given by TAs come out of the commission that Celebrity pays the TAs. So whatever the agency can give, X could theoretically give that much or more and still be ahead. Perhaps they don't do it more often because they find that the TA network brings them more business and offsets some of their "client handling" costs.

I usually book on Celebrity then transfer to a TA for the OBC. Never thought to ask if Celebrity would match. Hmmm...

And I too always thought that a TA could only offer the same price as Celebrity but as was mentioned above they can buy blocks of cabins and offer a bit of a discount. At least that is what my TA said.

Duane

Forgive me if I don't buy that for a second. Contrary to other postings, a travel agent can sell a cruise for less than the line itself. They can book a block of rooms, get a nice discount, and pass it on to their customers.

Exactly correct. Another example is the Silhouette transatlantic on 20 April. Celebrity website shows $1199pp, a major online travel agent is $999pp PLUS a $125 OBC that IS combinable with the $250 shareholder OBC.

I would be interested to know if anyone, anyone at all has ever had the same luck that the OP did? I can see Celebrity matching deals up to the amount they would lose to a TA by paying commission, but certainly not over that - why would they? I have never been a TA so I don't know the answer to this question, but how much do you think TA's get in commission in general? I have to think it is not a very high percentage of the total so I am pretty skeptical that they would match some of the extra perks I have received through the years by using an online TA. But then again I am naïve about the actual percentages they pay as commission. I would love to think Celebrity would do this as I would much prefer handling my own transactions (and being able to reach a live human being 7 days a week, which is not true of my usual online TA). Not to mention the extra cancellation fee:(

I would be VERY surprised if Celebrity was 'matching' prices on a continual basis for 3 reasons:

First, there is most likely a TA out there who will be the lowest price agent on any specific cabin selection per sailing and thus force Celebrity to match and reduce price on each and every cabin.

Second, it would seem Celebrity would be competing with TA's in a tactic they discourage, which is price discounting. They may have changed this policy.

Third, It would be counter to their policies, i.e. best price guarantee in first 48 hours.

Edited by shipshape sam

I found a much better deal online from a TA I have used in the past. They had a generous OBC that was combinable with the 1-2-3 deal. When I called Celebrity directly, they couldn't come close to matching the deal and actually encouraged me to grab it before I lost out!.

I had the same experience. The rate I found from an online TA was less than 1/2 of the current rate and I got the 123 promo plus free grats and $125 OBC from the TA. The difference in the cabin cost alone was $4800.

After having bad experiences with a few TAs, I started booking with the cruise line directly. I found a great inline TA and have always gotten better fares, great OBC and good service. My upcoming cruise I booked onboard, transferred the booking to her, got a better price as well as better OBC. I did have to increase the amount of my deposit but I have to pay that eventually so no big deal.

Cruise Raider,

Was your original booking on board ship? or through Celebrity web site?

I have used a couple of the big on-line TA and one brick and mortar TA for my previous bookings, two of which were originally booked on a cruise and then a transfer.

This is good to know. I would be delighted to just use Celebrity and cut out the middle man if the bottom line is the same, which would include the promotions a TA would give me to book with them.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Celebrity.

I purchased a couple of open passages on the Solstice last Sept. I didn't want to apply my deposit to any particular cruise as they weren't offering the beverage package at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the online TA that I use -- they oftentimes offer some specialty cruises -- last one was a Chef John Howie cruise (Seattle departure) and an upcoming one is a Zaca Mesa winery cruise -- both of which are limited to about 100 passengers. But, with all things being the same, I would rather just go directly through Celebrity. Like I said, they went out of their way to match the perks the TA was offering and they answer their phones 24/7 -- so very convenient for me as I am up very early in the morning and sometimes need to take care of my business at that time.

They also had a great price on their trip insurance -- not charged until final payment date.

I really don't know if this is new or not -- have not done this before with Celebrity. Gotta say, I like it -- especially the part where he told me to be sure to call back if I see the prices go down.

For instance, on a cruise I have coming up in August, I have the 123Go and am taking gratuities from Celebrity and my TA is giving me $700 OBC. Are you implying that Celebrity would have matched that $700 Additional OBC to keep the booking? I'm pretty skeptical about that.

I actually was offered the difference in OBC for the lower fare I saw as well as the $300 in shipboard credit that my TA was offering as well as the beverage package....oh, and the OBC for the open passage booking. So, in all, it is about $500 in OBC as well as the beverage package -- yes, for Celebrity to keep the booking instead of me transferring it to a TA. I didn't think they would do it but the cruise is not an inexpensive one.

Same here. A quick glance at Celebrity's web site prices, and then comparing them to any online TA, the prices will be identical. It's in the additional benefits that some TAs give where I only see any differences.

They did question me when I called on why an online TA had a cheaper price quote online ...as they are not allowed to discount the price. They actually look it up online and could see that I wasn't making it up. I have oftentimes found one site that does have a bit cheaper price than Celebrity ....and another one that does a lot of the group bookings ....but then those are not always combinable with other perks offered by the cruiseline.

I purchased a couple of open passages on the Solstice last Sept. I didn't want to apply my deposit to any particular cruise as they weren't offering the beverage package at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the online TA that I use -- they oftentimes offer some specialty cruises -- last one was a Chef John Howie cruise (Seattle departure) and an upcoming one is a Zaca Mesa winery cruise -- both of which are limited to about 100 passengers. But, with all things being the same, I would rather just go directly through Celebrity. Like I said, they went out of their way to match the perks the TA was offering and they answer their phones 24/7 -- so very convenient for me as I am up very early in the morning and sometimes need to take care of my business at that time.

They also had a great price on their trip insurance -- not charged until final payment date.

I really don't know if this is new or not -- have not done this before with Celebrity. Gotta say, I like it -- especially the part where he told me to be sure to call back if I see the prices go down.

Now I am sure this is a put on. Celebrity dose not answer their phones 24/7.

Celebrity seems to go all out to keep your booking from a travel agency. I called and was going to transfer my booking over to the TA I usually use and they matched the deal to keep the booking at Celebrity. I really like this -- as I can call 24/7 and manage my reservation. I even called when I found lower pricing on another online TAs site and they matched that in OBCs.

This kind of customer service goes a long way in my book!!

Oh....and the Celebrity agent said I should not hesitate to call back if I see any further price drops.

This is just one more reason why I love Celebrity so much. Another reason is I am making elite status at the end of March! Yooohooo :D

Good info, thanks.