New Wine Policy - no more whining about wine

kazu

This was posted on a couple of threads but for those that don't go to these threads - the wine policy has been amended.:D:D

For those who wanted to bring on wine and pay corkage - YOU CAN:

here is the policy from the HAL website:

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Wine and champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) purchased in ports of call are welcome to be brought onboard subject to a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Alternatively guests can choose to have these bottles stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

All other alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls as well as all alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage at no charge.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Updated: 01/30/2014

I'm happy with this and happy that HAL listened:D:D

That's great news. Surely that's what we were asking for, a reasonable solution that benefits both sides. :D:D

I like it. It sounds very fair and reasonable.

It's exactly what we asked for - so I can't see how anyone who wanted to bring on wine can't be happy;) and the policy includes ports :D

Now it's time for the guy who does not want to pay corkage who's going to consume it in his cabin.

Plus all the Publix wine sommelier's will now have to pay $20 for two buck chuck

Trust me it's far from over

It is for us.:D I think the policy is fair to both sides. We have no issue to pay $18 (not $20:D) to bring wine on from ports. I think you will find that the bulk of us had suggested this to HAL and will be quite content:D

It is for us.:D I think the policy is fair to both sides. We have no issue to pay $18 (not $20:D) to bring wine on from ports. I think you will find that the bulk of us had suggested this to HAL and will be quite content:D

That's great news glad you're happy

$2 for two buck chuck plus $18 corkage =$20;)

Now it's time for the guy who does not want to pay corkage who's going to consume it in his cabin.

Plus all the Publix wine sommelier's will now have to pay $20 for two buck chuck

Trust me it's far from over

I think wake patrol was jokingly saying that with $18 corkage 2 buck chuck is now $20...double whammy as 2buck chuck is now like $4 :)

Wakepatrol sadly you are probably right....but without something to complain about what would some folks do?

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Maybe I'm being a bit slow here, but if I pay corkage at embarkation or at a port of call, can I then take that bottle to the MDR, or must I pay another corkage at the MDR?

Pay corkage one time. :). In the past folks would try to avoid corkage by bringing a filled wine glass into the MDR...NOW the playing field is level....not so fair to those of us who did follow the rules but hey...at least we got a compromise. I can definitely live with that!

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Pay corkage one time. :). In the past folks would try to avoid corkage by bringing a filled wine glass into the MDR...NOW the playing field is level....not so fair to those of us who did follow the rules but hey...at least we got a compromise. I can definitely live with that!

3 Star Mariner on HAL

I'll take the part of the poster who's still sleeping

"But I Never Saw Anyone Trying To Avoid A Corkage Fee"

I agree - we have no problem with that. In Asian ports where wine is super expensive we wouldn't bother, but here in Australia or in Europe it's well worth bringing your own on board and paying the extra.

But, hey, the price of a litre of spirits onboard is so good that I'm pretty happy anyway.

Maybe I'm being a bit slow here, but if I pay corkage at embarkation or at a port of call, can I then take that bottle to the MDR, or must I pay another corkage at the MDR?

3 Star Mariner on HAL

Kona821 is absolutely correct. It's a one time corkage fee no matter where you take the wine or drink it (cabin, MDR, whatever). Other cruise lines do this and it makes sense IMO :D

Great news! Thanks for posting it, kazu.

Guess all the threads, hundreds of posts here, messages to Seattle, a petition, and various other protests WERE heard, after all. See what the power of a group with a reasonable message can accomplish! Good work, CC posters! :)

All those naysayers were wrong. :D

Now the questions are why didn't HAL come up with this reasonable policy in the first place, and why did it take HAL so long to make the announcement the policy was finally made acceptable. Just had to wait until the last minute. :rolleyes:

How will they know the bottle you take into the dining room is already "paid for?" Do other lines stamp the bottle so everyone knows it is allowed in the dining room?

On Princess they stamp the bottles when the corkage fee is paid. That seems to work pretty well so I imagine they will implement a similar policy on HAL.

When we were buying wine in Australia and had picked a reasonably priced bottle, the clerk stopped us at checkout and said, "You can buy that wine if you want, but the best wine in the store is that "No Name" wine for $2.00 a bottle. They buy overages and bottle it with the "No Name" label, and it is really good".

We followed his advice and were amazed at how much we liked that wine. Be bought tons of it.