need some help in deciding what to do in denali

jbinbi

Sorry for this newbie question, i have spent way too much time reading, and now have analysis paralysis.

on princess from fairbanks to vancouver for 2 weeks.

day 2, bus from fairbanks to denali. arrive 1 pm

day 3, they have booked me on nat history tour.

day 4 trip all day to talkeetna, arrive mckinley princess lodge at 4pm

day 5 do what i want

day 6 train to whittier

from what i have read, I would really like to see denali/mckinley.

specifically, not to do the natural history tour, but to get a tour further in, however the only thing left i see is the tundra wilderness tour at 2pm on day 3.

a. Is this the tour I want (tundra wilderness)?

b. Any recommendations on what can be done on arrival 2 day afternoon, & day 3 morning before tundra tour

c. recommonded tours from mckinley princess lodge?

We are a middle aged couple, can do lots of walking, nothing extreme, but viewing nature as much as possible. I know there are endless options, just trying to get a handle on things.

Why not scrap the cruisetour and replicate the trip on your own? You can make your own train/bus and hotel reservations. That will allow you to skip Talkeetna since there's nothing there that interests you ... spend that day somewhere else.

I agree with PP .... get a refund on the NH tour and take the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center instead.

Day 2 free sled dog demo at 2pm or 4 pm. Entrance area exhibits

day 3 shuttle to Eielson. (there's a ranger led hike at noon if interested)

day 4 do one of the hikes nr the entrance, or, take the free bus to Savage River at Mile 17 ( I think the 1st bus leaves at 8:30 and returns at 10am). Depending on when you're visiting, the first 10 miles are good for moose sightings. I think the train to Talkeetna leaves at 12/12:30

Don't know what to do in Talkeetna. I RV'd there one nite on the way to Denali, with the plan of flightseeing but we were weathered out both days. Not a place that interests me at all. Walk thru the town, go down to the river, visit the museum ..... that takes 15 minutes. Check the town web site for some ideas. Your hotel is a good ways from town so you'll need to take a shuttle, maybe 45 minutes.

Edited by mapleleaves

Two nights at McKinley Princess is definitely at least 1 night too long. But if you stick to the cruisetour, I would take the full day in Denali and book a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. You can always get off at Eielson and turn around to the entrance. At Eielson you can do a couple of activities with rangers - a noon hike that is about a 1,000 foot elevation gain or a 1pm much easier "stroll." Or you could just get off the bus and do your own hiking in the park.

thanks for all the quick replies.

is there a section on this board that reviews excursions, specifically in alaska, and from princess. I have looked under the princess part of the board, and here in the alaska, but I have to believe that there must be a section devoted to excursions? If so, would appreciate if someone can point me to that section. thanks.

thanks for all the quick replies.

is there a section on this board that reviews excursions, specifically in alaska, and from princess. I have looked under the princess part of the board, and here in the alaska, but I have to believe that there must be a section devoted to excursions? If so, would appreciate if someone can point me to that section. thanks.

"Princess" does NOT operate any excursions. They are specific to the vendors they contract with. On the Princess lodge web sites I believe there are links to tours available. In the ports- there are ship shore excursion lists to review.

As already mentioned- why are you going to Denali? (you ask if you "should" consider the TWT???) do you know the details of the differences and what Denali is about? http://www.nps.gov/dena Princess does give refunds for the Denali tours, and with the shuttle buses, you can have money left over- BUT, it will be up to you to make added arrangements, and you having the ability to go on your own.

Do you have plans on how you are going to occupy all that time at the McKinley lodge? Overall it's a poor itinerary without your own transportation, using this time elsewhere could offer way more "Alaska" if of interest?

Both the Natural History Tour and Tundra Wilderness tour are a waste of money. You want a shuttle bus to at least Eielson. Wonder Lake is even better.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

How long does it take to go to Eielson? I'm doing a RC landtour and we will be arriving in Denali from Anchorage via train, staying the night and leaving the next day. I wanted to do Eielson, but I doubt we'll have time.

What are my alternatives with this schedule?

How long does it take to go to Eielson? I'm doing a RC landtour and we will be arriving in Denali from Anchorage via train, staying the night and leaving the next day. I wanted to do Eielson, but I doubt we'll have time.

What time does the train arrive and what time does it leave? I suspect that you basically have no time to do anything in Denali which brings up another question - if you have no time to do anything in Denali, why go to Denali.

I will bet that your CruiseTour itinerary says that you have 2 days in Denali which you basically do not.

Typical CruiseTour.

DON

In the morning relax and enjoy a cup of cappuccino as you depart on the Wilderness Express®, our glass-domed traincars, to the famed Denali. Enjoy the amazing views and many photo opportunities along the way. Indulge in the onboard dining with breakfast and lunch available. The remainder of the afternoon and evening is free for you to explore Denali on your own. Overnight in Denali.

Spend the morning on the Denali Natural History Tour*, a guided experience in Denali National Park, and see beautiful taiga forests and rolling tundra while searching for wildlife. In the afternoon, you’ll board your deluxe motorcoach for a scenic drive...

The above is the description from the itinerary. I think the train gets into Denali at 1600.

Assuming you spend a little time at the Eielson Vistor's Center the trip in and out is essentially a full day (ie eight or so hours). Much depends on how much time you spend at Eielson and how many stops are made to watch wildlife. Given what you have described you don't have time, which is a typical problem for some of these tour packages.

In the morning relax and enjoy a cup of cappuccino as you depart on the Wilderness Express®, our glass-domed traincars, to the famed Denali.

Spend the morning on the Denali Natural History Tour*, a guided experience in Denali National Park, and see beautiful taiga forests and rolling tundra while searching for wildlife. In the afternoon, you’ll board your deluxe motorcoach for a scenic drive...

The above is the description from the itinerary. I think the train gets into Denali at 1600.

Look at the Alaska Railroad schedule ... it shows an arrival to Denali at 4pm.

You need to find out from RCI what time the bus leaves Denali. If it's noon or 1pm, you don't have time for anything more than the NHT.

The NHT only goes to Mile 17 of 100 miles of park road. There's a FREE bus that goes to Savage River at Mile 15. At $69, the NHT is a rip off.

If the cruisetour doesn't meet your needs, is it too late to cancel? It's easy enough to make your own reservations for the train, bus, hotel and shuttle reservation.

You have booked a "tour" which will NOT get you into Denali Park. My suggestion- which most people don't consider- dump this mistake and make the right plans that will get you into the park. Denali Park is the HIGHLIGHT of an Alaska visit. Do you really want to compromise so significantly? You are already going there, spending the time and money, why not make the most of it NOW. I see no point in missing something so significant when you are so close. The "reason to return" excuse doesn't cut it, my opinion only.

You have booked a "tour" which will NOT get you into Denali Park. My suggestion- which most people don't consider- dump this mistake and make the right plans that will get you into the park. Denali Park is the HIGHLIGHT of an Alaska visit. Do you really want to compromise so significantly? You are already going there, spending the time and money, why not make the most of it NOW. I see no point in missing something so significant when you are so close. The "reason to return" excuse doesn't cut it, my opinion only.

You mean cancel the cruisetour? Or don't go on the NHT?

I'm not going to cancel the cruisetour. The train won't get us to Denali until 1600. Yeah, it is disappointing. Aren't I in Denali Park staying at the hotel, etc.?

Mo,

I haven't gone yet, but with all my research I now know that the Denali Lodges/hotels are not actually in the park. You can't actually go in to the parks except on a tour or the shuttle all the pp's mention.

I see on the 2nd day you have a scenic bus tour. Maybe if you skipped that and the NH tour you would have time to do the longer shuttle or tour??

I'm not going to cancel the cruisetour.

Why not? It's not too late to book yourself a different one that spends 2 nights at Denali. That way you can actually get into the park. Your tour now just spends a long time coming and going without getting into the park.

I'm not going to cancel the cruisetour. The train won't get us to Denali until 1600. Yeah, it is disappointing. Aren't I in Denali Park staying at the hotel, etc.?

You hotel will be along the highway in what we call "Glitter Gulch." The deeper you get into the park along the park road, the more wildlife you'll see. The first 15 miles of the park road is open to any vehicle. After that you'll need to be on a shuttle bus or doing one of the tours. The tours are more expensive and do not go in as deep.

I'm a local, and I also drove motorcoach for Holland America/Westours for two summers. I generally recommend people do not due the cruisetour and arrange their own trip using a rental car.

I know some people prefer the cruisetour to "leave the worries to someone else." But you give up your freedom to see what you want to see.

Your hotel will be in 'glitter gulch' which is a strip mall area of hotels, restaurants and tourist shops about a mile from the park entrance.

It's certainly your choice to stay with the cruisetour but why? You're spending a lot of time travelling but not really getting into the park (going 17 miles when the park offers 100 miles of road!), then spending time at Talkeetna which offers nothing of interest to you. I'm someone who really enjoys scenery while I travel, but I still want to enjoy the destination when I get there, and I don't want to waste time somewhere that doesn't interest me. It would be easy enough to book the Alaska Railroad and/or the Park Connection Bus, and your own hotels. Millions of us have done it. Give it some thought.

Edited by mapleleaves

I am locked in to mine as well, paid for as well as flights done as well. Had I known more about this earlier, I would have done it differently , however, from my iten in the original post, I am now going to do what mapleleaves said in post 3 above (thanks btw). So it is not disappointing at all.

At the princess lodge in mckinley, I will do a flight seeing tour, and maybe a walking tour etc. I think this will fill up the time very well.

I am locked in to mine as well, paid for as well as flights done as well. Had I known more about this earlier, I would have done it differently , however, from my iten in the original post, I am now going to do what mapleleaves said in post 3 above (thanks btw). So it is not disappointing at all.

Glad if I could help. Here is info on the free buses to the sled dog demo and Savage River. Maybe bus to the kennel and walk the trail back??

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Edited by mapleleaves

Just a quick point of clarification -- as already noted the "Glitter Gulch" hotels are located outside of the park entrance. And for those who want to see the mountain itself, it is not visible at all from the park entrance. While Denali is visible (when not shrouded by clouds) from several spots on the Parks Hwy. south of the national park entrance and is also visible from some of the hill tops around Fairbanks, it is not possible to see Denali itself from the "Glitter Gulch" area.