security when getting on the ship

rileylewis

I'm sailing the Nieuw Amsterdam on Feb. 23. Do we go thru a metal detector like at airport to board the boat? I'm trying to figure out what to wear and wonder if I need to plan as if I'm going thru airport security. (driving to port so not going thru TSA stuff- YAY! :D)

I'm sailing the Nieuw Amsterdam on Feb. 23. Do we go thru a metal detector like at airport to board the boat? I'm trying to figure out what to wear and wonder if I need to plan as if I'm going thru airport security. (driving to port so not going thru TSA stuff- YAY! :D)

You will go through a metal detector so anything like a large belt buckle or big watch could set it off and you will be called to the side for them to use the wand.

And they also put your luggage thru the machine. I have not seen a sniffer for drugs or explosives like the TSA does at the airport. Also none of the 'liquids in a bag, blah, blah, blah' stuff happens. You can bring a FULL bottle of shampoo if you wish.

And another bonus is there is less time pressure. You are already at the boat!!

You don't need to dress differently to go thru security....even on planes, I wear an underwire bra, zipper in pants....necklace, rings, etc.....it's all fine. The ship's metal detectors are nowhere near as strong as the airlines, and none of the above ever registers!

Edited by cb at sea

You don't need to dress differently to go thru security.... and none of the above ever registers!

For you. My DH has set off every single metal detector we've ever been through, ever. OP asked for a reason, and indeed, if it will avoid embarrassment or hassle, yes, OP should be conscious of belt buckles and such. Who knows - maybe OP has a prosthesis to be concerned about.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

You don't need to dress differently to go thru security....even on planes, I wear an underwire bra, zipper in pants....necklace, rings, etc.....it's all fine. The ship's metal detectors are nowhere near as strong as the airlines, and none of the above ever registers!

Lucky you...my wife has an important choice any morning that she's going to fly: wear one of her preferred bras, which is guaranteed to beep, or wear one that's less comfortable but almost definitely won't beep. One of the online retailers even says for that bra, in some sizes, you will beep at the airport!

The ship's metal detectors are nowhere near as strong as the airlines, and none of the above ever registers!

Based on experience with triggering the ship's scanners I would question that! What factual information are you basing your broad brush statement on?

To the OP's question, based on experience, the security check in at the pier is very similar to that of TSA at the airports. While they may not require you to remove your belt or shoes, you do pass through a scanner and can also be wanded. Your carry on bags are also passed through a belt x-ray (and can be opened for inspection if deemed necessary). and your luggage is x-rayed as well. The ports typically also have dogs present which check the luggage.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Even at our home airport with 2 gates, DH sets the alarms off so he takes off belt and watch when we get to airport before going through security and puts it in the carry on or my large "travel purse". With belt and watch on he will set it off, we don't know why. Easy fix to get to our cruise :-)

As for ships security scanners, hasn't seemed to go off with his belt and watch on. We don't ask why.....

Edited by UPGrandma

Same here for me - no problems. Question was asked after my titanium plate for broken leg this summer and Doc plus another traveler said it won't show up or affect the alarms.....will see later this year. :-)

I have a shirt with a built in belt that I was thinking about wearing OR a skirt that has a 3 inch row of sequins at the bottom. Would either of these be a problem? Again, I'm driving to port. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I have a shirt with a built in belt that I was thinking about wearing OR a skirt that has a 3 inch row of sequins at the bottom. Would either of these be a problem? Again, I'm driving to port. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I don't think anything you would wear would be a problem. The worst that could happen is it sets off the scanner and they may then wand you. It will not prevent you from boarding the ship. Wear what you are comfortable in and want for the first day. It also doesn't matter if you are driving or flying, you will still go through the same security - as described - at the pier.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have been thru many Ship's metal detectors and never went beep even with my cellphone in my shirt pocket. On our last Eastern Med Cruise we sometimes went thru the Ports metal detectors and they did not go beep before boarding the ship which did not use them at those ports. These were also the ports where we got the extra liter of Scotch in our bag, they had a liquor store in the port building next to the metal detectors, and our bag was not searched upon getting on the ship. You never know what you will find when travelling!

And then there are those of us who must go through a hand search...no metal detector or wand for me.

Actually means I sometimes get through security faster. :)

I had no trouble getting on board Celebrity Infinity initially, despite all the hardware that is now my ankle. I'm so used to saying I have medical hardware in my left ankle that the minute I see the scanning booth the words come right out of my mouth:) However, reboarding at one of the ports, I set it off like crazy and wound up being wanded (very gently). FYI: don't put your digital camera in the pocket of your cargo pants and forget it's there.

One other tip that I don't see mentioned yet: do NOT put a travel iron in your luggage. Airlines won't care but ship will confiscate your luggage and make you claim it personally. You will have to remove the iron and claim it before disembarking, if you remember it. DH had a multi-use pocket knife in his suitcase and had to personally claim his luggage, but he was allowed to keep it. Irons are more dangerous than knives apparently! :D

One other tip that I don't see mentioned yet: do NOT put a travel iron in your luggage. Airlines won't care but ship will confiscate your luggage and make you claim it personally. You will have to remove the iron and claim it before disembarking, if you remember it. DH had a multi-use pocket knife in his suitcase and had to personally claim his luggage, but he was allowed to keep it. Irons are more dangerous than knives apparently! :D

That's because a knife can't be left plugged in thus start a fire.

I had no trouble getting on board Celebrity Infinity initially, despite all the hardware that is now my ankle. I'm so used to saying I have medical hardware in my left ankle that the minute I see the scanning booth the words come right out of my mouth:) However, reboarding at one of the ports, I set it off like crazy and wound up being wanded (very gently). FYI: don't put your digital camera in the pocket of your cargo pants and forget it's there.

Oh, I have no trouble. I have a pacemaker/defibrilator and cannot go through the detectors or be wanded. Only a pat down for me.

I have had one TSA agent insist the wand would not cause a problem. I just told him that unless he was board certified in cardiac electrophysiology he would be performing a hand search. His supervisor heard us and promptly told him to put the wand away.

Same here for me - no problems. Question was asked after my titanium plate for broken leg this summer and Doc plus another traveler said it won't show up or affect the alarms.....will see later this year. :-)

I always carry an xray of my ankle in my carry on just in case I am questioned. Only time I have beeped is at Dulles in full body scan machine.

I wear my hair up -- have to limit myself to 2 bobby pins, no bow in my hair because of metal clasp, no watch --as I will set off the airport detectors.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

Oh, I have no trouble. I have a pacemaker/defibrilator and cannot go through the detectors or be wanded. Only a pat down for me.

I have had one TSA agent insist the wand would not cause a problem. I just told him that unless he was board certified in cardiac electrophysiology he would be performing a hand search. His supervisor heard us and promptly told him to put the wand away.

Love it! Have you ever asked for the "cute, young guy" to do your pat down? It depends on where you are, but I asked it once in a Mid-Western airport, I think it was OK, and the TA agent, without hesitation said, "I get asked that all the time". Sometimes you just need a smile and a sense of humor at how absurd it all is.:D

Here's one you may not of thought of, I set of the Metal Detector whist boarding the QM2 for a Ship Vist it was triggered by my Wallet as it has RFID blocking lining.

Will be sure all my RFID blocking covered items go in the tray next time.

We are going on our first cruise in March. DH has a pacemaker, I have a left knee replacement. We have our cards & someone suggested I print a TSA "blue card" out. I will carry those and the cards doctors gave us. Am I correct in thinking DH should be hand searched rather than wanded? Should we be prepared to show scars to prove our metal? I am asking this because 2 years ago I flew to Vegas with family & my SIL had to show her scar for a hip replacement. I have read that ports are not as strict as airports but I just want to be prepared.

We are going on our first cruise in March. DH has a pacemaker, I have a left knee replacement. We have our cards & someone suggested I print a TSA "blue card" out. I will carry those and the cards doctors gave us. Am I correct in thinking DH should be hand searched rather than wanded? Should we be prepared to show scars to prove our metal? I am asking this because 2 years ago I flew to Vegas with family & my SIL had to show her scar for a hip replacement. I have read that ports are not as strict as airports but I just want to be prepared.

I have flown several times since my hip replacement last year. Never been asked to show my scar. If you do the full body scan machine, they can see it. The cards the doctors give you are of no use. TSA and, I assume, port security pay no attention to them. Anyone can get one.