Extra Tipping

pipsmum

This may seem a silly question, and I know that tipping is included and you can give extra if you wish, but does anyone tip at the start of the holiday to the cabin steward and waiter. Usually on land based holidays we do, but is this something that is done on a cruise. On the few cruises that we have done the service is much better than we have had on land based holidays anyway, but wondered if this practice is done or does it not make any difference to service received. We have booked a mini suite as a special treat as wedding anniversary on day cruise starts so get lots of little extras anyway - hopefully.

Any advise gratefully received.

This may seem a silly question, and I know that tipping is included and you can give extra if you wish, but does anyone tip at the start of the holiday to the cabin steward and waiter. Usually on land based holidays we do, but is this something that is done on a cruise. On the few cruises that we have done the service is much better than we have had on land based holidays anyway, but wondered if this practice is done or does it not make any difference to service received. We have booked a mini suite as a special treat as wedding anniversary on day cruise starts so get lots of little extras anyway - hopefully.

American bribery........

Don't know whether to take this as advise or rudeness. I am not American, I come from Yorkshire. Only asking if this practice is done, as I have never done it on a cruise before. It is a genuine question and I had hoped for constructive replies.

I know you're from Yorkshire, I was pointing out what you described as 'American Bribery'. Were you are giving 'Tips' for service you haven't yet received and may never do. If someone gave me £20-£30 tip upfront before I'd done anything, what incentive do I then have to go above and beyond what's expected. The whole idea of tipping is that it's a reward for services rendered.

I obviously took your short reply the wrong way. As I said I have done this on Caribbean land based holidays but never on a cruise ship so did not know if this was something that a) happened on cruise ships or b) didn't happen on P and O because it is "British". This is my first time on P & O and booked it because it was "British". So very happy if this practice is not done. I'm all for tipping at the end if service warrants it.

I know you're from Yorkshire, I was pointing out what you described as 'American Bribery'. Were you are giving 'Tips' for service you haven't yet received and may never do. If someone gave me £20-£30 tip upfront before I'd done anything, what incentive do I then have to go above and beyond what's expected. The whole idea of tipping is that it's a reward for services rendered.

Newport Dave, I acknowledge your point about tipping up-front - the incentive may be sacrificed; but I don't adhere to it. TIPS stands for 'To Insure Prompt Service'. I believe that tips up-front create a situation where the 'tippee' feels morally bound to provide the 'tipper' with a very good service, and indeed may go to greater lengths and provide an excellent service because of the generosity of said 'tipper'.

So, to Pip's mum - yes, we tip our cabin steward at the start of the cruise. This approach hasn't failed us yet. From that point on there is a mutual understanding between the two parties. I am a firm believer in tips. I also do not cancel my daily rate. I was recently incensed by a fellow passenger who was proudly boasting that she had cancelled her daily rate and planned to give empty envelopes to her steward and waiter at the end of the cruise! Cheapskate!

Thanks NauticalMiss, we wouldn't dream of cancelling the daily rate, I am only referring to an extra, we have usually given a bit extra to the cabin steward at the end, but just wanted to know if anyone did so at the beginning. Thanks for the reply.

I have the same view of tipping on boats as I do on land - if they ask for a tip / service charge then that's what they get - unless they really don't deserve it and I actively take it off. If they don't ask I give proportionate to the service they provide - but always I will leave a tip ( the night of the 1p tip springs to mind as does the night of the 20 pound tip for a 17 pound meal. I don't like being told to tip but always do if not asked - I guess I'm an awkward Brit thru and thru...

Be very careful about "tipping" before you start your holiday. This could be classed as bribery and the latest bribery and money laundering acts of the UK are very very strict

On a cruise I have never felt the need to "tip" up front, and yet I always find that the cabin steward responds to any friendly request I might have, and as a result he normally get a little extra at the end of the cruise.

As far as the auto tip is concerned I quickly learned on these boards that this is the major part of the service staff wages and not really your standard gratuity, and I would never consider cancelling it.

I have heard about this practice before and I couldn't believe it. Why would you hand someone money before they had even done anything. smacks of bribery to me too. A tip is something given freely for good service received. Not to ensure you get good service.

I've got nothing against tipping, we always leave on the daily charge and more often than not tip extra at the end of the cruise. Tipping upfront is basically bribery and 'To Insure Prompt Service' as probably been made up to justify the bribery by some American.

I have heard about this practice before and I couldn't believe it. Why would you hand someone money before they had even done anything. smacks of bribery to me too. A tip is something given freely for good service received. Not to ensure you get good service.

You will see this posted quite regularly by Americans on the Princess, Celebrity forums etc. As they think it gets them preferential treatment at bars etc. We never tip extra until the end, and have always had excellent service. We normally frequent the same bar throughout a cruise and once the staff get to know us they are over like a shot ready to serve us and even remember our drinks. The only thing extra I think they could do would be to get down on their knees and polish my shoes....:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: **Last bit was a joke/sarcasm at this bribery situation***

Neither have I, and I have travelled to the USA many times. Tipping is a way of life there but you tip after not before, keeping open the sanction of no tip if the service provided is unacceptable. The only exception is usually the chambermaid, in respect of whom you leave a tip on the pillow every day before leaving your room to be serviced.

Edited by Denarius

Gosh! I must be American then? The only people I tip at the end would be if that's when the financial transaction for the entire service takes place, ie hairdresser or taxi driver.... Bar tenders, room cleaners, kids going to the shop for me... Nah .. They all get their bung upfront! Gotta keep 'em sweet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We now give our steward a decent tip on Day 1, usually for bringing our cases and the little extras we have asked for. We only started doing this a couple of cruises ago but it has certainly made our steward more amenable to finding any extras we request (nothing illegal, just extra decaff coffee and sugar, the biscuits we like, taking the hangers away etc). We also leave our automatic tip on but if they have been especially helpful will also put some cash in an envelope. Having a good steward can really make your cruise

Interesting thread....

We have tended to give a small something to our Steward up front. $ £ Euro 5 or so with a comment along the lines of "look after us and we are happy to look after you" It sets a standard and our steward knows exactly where they stand with us.

We have always had excellent service from our stewards and tipped appropriately at the end of the cruise. ~ 10 - 15 whatevers /week.

I'd certainly not consider this to be a bribe or in any way under handed.

We leave the auto tip on and if we chose to do so we look after those few who have looked after us personally at the end.

Table staff £ $ Euro 10 each/week if we are on fixed time and always have the same staff. Nothing for freedom dining because you don't tend to get the same staff.

If we have had a regular drinks waiter on deck we will give him or her a little something. 5 or 10 whatevers

If someone has gone above and beyond they get looked after a little better.

We tend to drink Beer. Our Wine waiter on the Oriana took our order and asked 'Pints or Cans.' We asked for pints ( Cans on the table is a bit naff. ) and she said 'It'll take a little longer because I will have to go up to the tavern and get them'

Every night she went up to the Lords Tavern for our beers, something I'm sure she was not obliged to do. Accordingly we made her efforts worth her while.

We all know that most if not all of many staffs wages goes back home to support their families. These people also have lives to live and if they get some cash they can buy clothes, a beer, whatever else they want to when they get to go ashore.

I don't think tipping upfront is bribery, and whether or not it gets better service is unknown, unless someone does a statistical survey and has 2 cabins per steward operating the different systems.

That seems very unlikely so until then it's rather pointless either proponent claiming that their policy produces the best service.

We should each follow our own paths.

Personally I was of the opinion that the auto tip system was implemented to end the age old practice of giving cash tips to various service crew on the ships. Now pax are doubling up paying the auto tips and handing out cash tips to all and sundry. A little too 'American' for me I am afraid.

As for handing out cash tips on day 1 of a cruise, no way, tips are for services rendered, not before.

Just my opinion anyway.

Edited by NSWP

Thank you everyone for your different thoughts. Think I will stay with the tip at the end for services rendered, along with the auto tip as I would never dream of cancelling that. But OH may still give the steward a Fiver for bringing the cases!!!! First time cruising from Southampton, boy am I going to enjoy filling those cases so he will know how heavy they are!!!;) Enjoy this years cruising :):)

He has already delivered heavy cases. He/she will then get tip at end if service deserves it

But your cabin steward does not bring up the cases does he/she ? They usually have other staff bringing those up from the baggage collection area to the cabins on embarkation day. All hands on deck so to speak !