HOHO Rome

ShannonSC2

Despite the drawbacks we've done a Rome HoHo 2x. The first was the regular line and the second was the Roma Cristiania.

The only sites that the HoHos stop relatively close to are the Vatican and the Colosseum. Other highlights, such as the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona, can't even be viewed from the HoHo!

Of the 2, the Roma Cristiania offered more options such as the catacombs and St. Paul's church via smaller busses and a public transportation pass.

It was relaxing to hop on the bus for an overview of Rome after being jet-lagged for our last trip, especially since we had a Rome 1st timer with us AND the Roma Cr. bus had a stop right near our apartment on via Guilia.

If your plan is to stay on the bus, you won't see a lot of the sites. And if you get off the bus to see something (such as Trevi fountain), you may wait for a while for another bus to come along.

For these reasons, I don't really recommend the HOHO as a way of seeing Rome for passengers that are just there for a port day. The central part of Rome is walkable for those who are fit enough, and you'll see more on your own using your feet plus a short taxi ride here or there (for example, to the Vatican which is a fair distance from the center).

Some people who are staying in Rome for a few days like it as an introduction to the city, but even then, I think its usefulness is limited -- because of all the one-way streets and pedestrian areas the buses have to take a roundabout route, so you don't really get a good sense of the city's layout (or at least I didn't).

Edited by cruisemom42

Sorry, same experiences as the others.

You'll see little more than the Colosseum & Vatican, and it's waste of valuable time on a port-of-call visit.

OK if you're in Rome for a couple of days, but even then it's debateable.

The buses often stop quite a while at Termini station and the same again at the Vatican. Much of the time they're in nondescript roads crawling in traffic.

Neither ho-ho nor metro goes very near Trevi, ditto the ho-ho & Spanish Steps.

Ho-ho's are great for some cities, a waste of time in others.

Many of the sights are very walkable, lots of advice on routes by searching this forum, and perhaps one or two taxi or metro or service bus rides.

JB :)

Thank you all for the replies. We will be there for a port day so I want to make the best of it. Can anyone recommend what sites I should plan to visit (the ones I don't want to miss). I will be traveling with two teenagers (16 & 14). They have studied a lot of the sites in history so I want to makes sure we see all those. And do you recommend walking to the sites or is there any public transportation I need to look into.

Thanks again!

Rome is about an hour from the port, so you'll need to figure out how to get there as well as plan an itinerary if you want to do it on your own.

Here's a great post that will give you a good idea of what's involved and what you might want to do.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518706

They packed a lot into their day; if you don't want to be quite so ambitious, you might consider leaving out one or two things.

Rome is about an hour from the port, so you'll need to figure out how to get there as well as plan an itinerary if you want to do it on your own.

Here's a great post that will give you a good idea of what's involved and what you might want to do.

They packed a lot into their day; if you don't want to be quite so ambitious, you might consider leaving out one or two things.

Thank you so much! I may skip the HOHO for Rome! I think if I had more time there I would consider it but not for this time around. Thanks for all the information provided.

Well found, Cruisemom. an excellent précis. :)

A couple of updates:

The BIRG train ticket now costs 12euros.

You can buy from a stall on your right as you exit the port - same price, & they provide a note of train times to Rome, and train times for the return from Termini & Ostiense & San Pietro. But get those times ahead of your cruise just to be sure.

And don't aim to catch the last possible train back to Civi. You should take at least the second-to-last train, to give yourselves some leeway.

It's a excellent tip to avoid the ticket lines at Colosseum by taking the metro from Ostiense/Pyramide only as far as Circo Massimo, then buying your combo ticket at the entrance to Palatine Hill as you walk down to the Colosseum.

But I believe you can now buy those combo tickets on-line, if you do that you can stay on the metro until Colosseo.

The reviewer had a late sailing - most ships leave around 6pm, with a latest back-on-board 30 minutes before sailing.

So you probably won't manage all that the reviewer achieved.

The Trevi Fountain is undergoing an extensive renovation, and may still be covered with scaffolding. And Spanish Steps, attractive as they may be, are no big deal.

If - as I suspect - you run out of time at the Vatican, the reviewer suggests walking to the metro station at Ottaviano San Petro & taking the metro to Termini.

I'll respectfully disagree ;) cos that means taking the metro across the city centre to Termini, to board a train which then returns across the city & past the Vatican.

IMHO quicker & easier to walk from the Vatican to Roma San Pietro train station, about 15 minutes from St Peter's Square (same distance as the metro station but the opposite direction) & catch the train to Civi from there.

This avoids the time-consuming metro & the long walk from Termini metro to the platform for Civi trains, and you have a further 20 mins or more leeway because the train arrives at San Pietro station 20minutes or more after it left Termini.

The only downside is that all seats are likely to have been taken by the time the train reaches San Pietro. But everyone can get on, you won't be left behind.

Another option is to hire a private tour of Rome. They will pick you up at port and provide transportation to the sites you select and return you to the ship on time. Might be a little costly but worth the fact of trying to get back to ship on time especcialy being there the first time and trying to beat the crowds. We tried the HOHO bus one time but getting on and off can be very time consuming because of the lines of people! We have been to Rome 6 times and now use romelimousineplus (6 of us) for all our transfers.Very reasonable,dependable and very accomadating. One day is not enough to see Rome. We always stay min. of 3 days before or after cruise. Still our favorite city(Venice second!) Good luck and enjoy your cruise and Rome.:):):)

Just want to add my support to JB's comment about using the San Pietro Station and further explain some details. The regional train that runs between Rome Termini and Civitavecchia (it actually goes well beyond Civitavecchia so you must watch for the station) stops at several different train stations within the city of Rome. The final station is the main station known as "Termini" and this is the one oft used by cruisers. But because of the strange routing of the train tracks through Rome, it actually takes about 20 minutes to get between Rome San Pietro and Rome Termini. So one can quickly save 20 min by using the San Pietro Station (when going to and from Civitavecchia) if that station is convenient to your destination (such as the Vatican).

Hank

Thanks for this information as the HOHO bus was one we were considering ourselves. The Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps are two of my top destinations so it sounds like the HOHO is a no go for our port stop.

Princess offers a private train ride back and forth with several hours to explore on your own in between. With several different things we wanted to see that didn't get covered in any one other tour, is it possible to just take the train in and walk around to get to the main sites?

Thanks for this information as the HOHO bus was one we were considering ourselves. The Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps are two of my top destinations so it sounds like the HOHO is a no go for our port stop.

Princess offers a private train ride back and forth with several hours to explore on your own in between. With several different things we wanted to see that didn't get covered in any one other tour, is it possible to just take the train in and walk around to get to the main sites?

what is the cost for the cruise line "drop you off" excursion?

it can often work out cheaper if you can fill a minivan with people from your roll call and go with a private tour

that way you get the transport to and from Rome and also get dropped off very close to main sites such as Trevi fountain and Spanish steps.our last tour we also got to outlying places such as catacombs and the popes summer palace up by the lake

Please don't pay the inflated price for the ship's "private train". It's so easy to get the train yourself and you will a) save a lot and b) have more flexibility on timing and what station(s) you want to use to maximize your sightseeing.

Most of the sights (and particularly the ones you list) are walkable, but neither are particularly close to any train station (due to being in the historic center).

You could take the train on your own to Termini, get off and take the metro one stop to the Spanish Steps. From there it's a short-ish and pleasant walk to Trevi Fountain and another short-ish pleasant walk to the Pantheon, if desired.

Apart from the $$$$$, I believe the cruise train drops & collects at the same station (Termini?), which involves wasted time & effort. And of course you have to be there at a set time.

The advantages of the cruise train are that you'll be driven from ship to station & back (independently it's a free shuttle to the port gate & a 10-minute seafront walk to the station), and that you're guaranteed a seat on the train - which I mentioned as the downside of returning from San Pietro (& Ostiense).

But it's an awfully high premium for a seat.

Apart from the $$$$$, I believe the cruise train drops & collects at the same station (Termini?), which involves wasted time & effort. And of course you have to be there at a set time.

The advantages of the cruise train are that you'll be driven from ship to station & back (independently it's a free shuttle to the port gate & a 10-minute seafront walk to the station), and that you're guaranteed a seat on the train - which I mentioned as the downside of returning from San Pietro (& Ostiense).

But it's an awfully high premium for a seat.

The cruise lines' private train drops and collects from San Pietro. Yes, expensive compared to getting your own ticket, but convenient for those wanting to tour the Vatican Museum early in the day.

The cruise lines' private train drops and collects from San Pietro. Yes, expensive compared to getting your own ticket, but convenient for those wanting to tour the Vatican Museum early in the day.

Actually, because the cruise train waits until several ships are disembarked and returns in time for the earliest that leaves, taking it results in the shortest possible day in Rome. Unless you happen to be on the last ship to disembark on any given day, you can probably get to the Vatican museums faster on your own. The big difference is that you may have to stand for part of the trip. Actually, when I looked at the literature for the cruise train I didn't see anything that guaranteed a seat ... it's just implied that you will get one.

Edited by euro cruiser