So confused, please help

erfarb

I currently have a D7 category room (balcony) on the Oasis For May 2014. I want to add a 3rd person to the room. The room is described as up to 4 people.

I called Royal Carribean to ask how much extra it would cost to add a 3rd person to this room.I was told that my particular room 10698 is only able to accomodate 2 people. I questioned this and was told there are some rooms in a category D7 that do accomade more than 2 people, but my room was not one of them.

They said I would have to upgrade to a category D4 and that would be an addition 1,404.69 for adding one more person. That would be in addition to the 3,053.56 I already paid for the D7 category.

Please tell me what my options are. How do you know when you book a room if it will accomodate 2,3 or 4 when the room description states, up to 4 people? If you were in this situation, what would you do? Thank you for any advice you have to lend.

Have you looked up that cabin on the RCI web site deck plans? If you do so, there will be a symbol which tells how many people can be accomodated in that specific cabin. If indeed the deck plans show that cabin can accomodate 4, then I would call back and try again.

I currently have a D7 category room (balcony) on the Oasis For May 2014. I want to add a 3rd person to the room. The room is described as up to 4 people.

I called Royal Carribean to ask how much extra it would cost to add a 3rd person to this room.I was told that my particular room 10698 is only able to accomodate 2 people. I questioned this and was told there are some rooms in a category D7 that do accomade more than 2 people, but my room was not one of them.

They said I would have to upgrade to a category D4 and that would be an addition 1,404.69 for adding one more person. That would be in addition to the 3,053.56 I already paid for the D7 category.

Please tell me what my options are. How do you know when you book a room if it will accomodate 2,3 or 4 when the room description states, up to 4 people? If you were in this situation, what would you do? Thank you for any advice you have to lend.

D7's do not hold 4 people, only 2. You'll need to change categories

May 3rd is the only Oasis May sailing where they are selling D7 and D8 GTY cabins. All other May sailings are showing only D4 and above available for booking.

Inventory might shift when your cruise passes final payment on March 3rd. No way to know this in advance.

You always need to ask specifically. Some have drop down beds, some sleeper sofas. At this point depending an the ages of the extra people, it might be cheaper to get an inside cabin for them and invite them up to enjoy your balcony.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Agree with the other poster, D7 category only holds 2 people. You can see on the deck plan for your cabin, 10698 does not have any of the symbols indicating a pullman or sofa bed. Therefore, only 2 people. I looked through the other D7's and they are all only 2 passengers.

You can go online and do a mock booking, it will show which rooms are available for 3 or more passengers.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=10&shipCode=OA&shipProfile=1535&sailDate=1140215&hasNavigation=false

Thank you very much for all the responses.

I still wonder how the average person, booking a room, described as accomodating up to 4 people, would know that is not always the case.

Apparently there are D 7 balcony rooms that do accomodate more than 2 people. How would you know what rooms offer the extra 3rd or 4th guest?

To reney313:

You mention a pullman or sofa bed? That , apparently is the key to 3-4 peope correct? How would I know if the room I book has the pullman or sofa bed. I did the mock booking as you suggested and I still don't see where to look for these.

THIS should not be this hard. The room description should be the description for YOUR room, the room you have paid for; not your category. If there are so many different options per category, why not list what the options/ differences per room, so we can make an informed decision?

Thanks for listening to my rant, and more importantly, thank you all for your advice. I learn more and more each day here at Cc

Thank you very much for all the responses.

I still wonder how the average person, booking a room, described as accomodating up to 4 people, would know that is not always the case.

Apparently there are D 7 balcony rooms that do accomodate more than 2 people. How would you know what rooms offer the extra 3rd or 4th guest?

To reney313:

You mention a pullman or sofa bed? That , apparently is the key to 3-4 peope correct? How would I know if the room I book has the pullman or sofa bed. I did the mock booking as you suggested and I still don't see where to look for these.

THIS should not be this hard. The room description should be the description for YOUR room, the room you have paid for; not your category. If there are so many different options per category, why not list what the options/ differences per room, so we can make an informed decision?

Thanks for listening to my rant, and more importantly, thank you all for your advice. I learn more and more each day here at Cc

there are not. Where are you seeing that the can hold 4?

While 9690 might be a D7 that holds 3 or more, they can sell a GTY (guarantee) for any cabin type they want as GTY,guarantees that category or higher, even if they do not have any cabins in that category available.

Due to capacity issues, they are not even required to always allow max capacity in every cabin.Any category can be opened or closed for sale by the cruise line.

That is why they might have D7 and D8 for 3 on May 3rd, but no other date in May right now.

Just because a cabin CAN hold more people, doesn't mean they can allow it..it has to do with lifeboat capacity. The ship has a finite capacity of souls....even if there are beds available, or even, cabins, doesn't mean they can fill ALL spaces!

In the future, book every single person you THINK will be going...it's much easier to cancel some, than to try and add another.

To reney313:

I'm not sure where you are seeing your room description and it states a D7 is 4 people? Maybe that is somewhere for a standard "balcony" room, but then by category it is defined out in the key at the bottom of each floor plan.

If you go to the Royal Caribbean website and pull up the deck plans for Oasis of the seas, at the bottom it will have the guide that shows what to look for to determine if there is a sofa bed, 3rd pullman, 4th pullman, etc.

When you are looking at each individual cabin #, it will either just be the cabin number or it will have one of the symbols from the key. I believe for sofa bed, it is a triangle. For a 3rd pullman only it is an asterisk. A Plus sign for 3rd and 4th pullmans and a diamond for a pullman and sofa bed.

D7's are on decks 9, 10, and 11

I only see 1 D7 with capacity for 3-4 people and that is room 9690. You might see if that is available. I honestly wonder if that is an error on the deck plan as I also thought D7's did not include a sofa bed (just a sofa) and no pullmans.

Another option is to look on your sailing and see if there are any D8's with one of the symbols. Typically D8 cabins are around the same price as a D7 (if not cheaper).

You're right, it's really not hard at all... I'm personally not understanding how you're not seeing the options on the RCL wesite or any other major cruise website. They all show the difference of the various cabins with symbols indicating they can hold either 3 or 4 people. The various posters here have already explained this as well.

But I think your point has not been addressed yet so please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds to me like you are thinking because you feel you "paid" for a room that may hold 4 people, that you can ask another person or two to join you on the cruise in your stateroom for free.. is that what you're thinking?

If so, that is incorrect. By asking a third person to join you, that third person also has to pay, which is why RCL is asking you for more money. Even if your stateroom did in fact have the ability for a 3rd person, you would not be able to bring a third person for free and you would still have to pay that additional $1300 (or whatever you quoted) for that person's cruise fare.