Favorite and Least Favorite Ship

mander_44

Our youngest daughter always claimed that the Song of America was the last ship with a true Viking Crown Lounge, it was on the funnel and you had to enter it by outside stairs. It was also the first, and only, VCL that wrapped 360 degrees around the funnel.

Ah, how times have changed, huh? I guess Quantum completes the demise of the Viking Crown Lounge.

Those were my first two cruises - and another big change - simply by having good connections with a travel agent, we had Captain's Table dinners one evening on each of those cruises! Now, if you're D+ with around double the base D+ points, you're given a dinner with a ship's officer!

Our youngest daughter always claimed that the Song of America was the last ship with a true Viking Crown Lounge, it was on the funnel and you had to enter it by outside stairs. It was also the first, and only, VCL that wrapped 360 degrees around the funnel.

Sovereign class ships did the 360 as well, but had the inside entrance. Aft view got blocked somewhat when they added the rock climbing wall, however.

Oh, RCI ship, I said Carnival Magic.

Sorry, Rhapsody, you're the new loser.

Funny! Rhapsody is definitely on my top 3 list. Captain, bartender, and concierge pull it up there for me. The ship itself is in my number 2 class as a whole although the new panorama additions have ruined the overall appearance of the centrums of that class.

We have sailed all classes except Oasis and Voyager. Hard to say I have a least favorite ship -- maybe our one and only Celebrity cruise on Mercury.

I have found all the ships we have sailed from Splendour [still the smallest] to Monarch [the oldest at the time -- now gone] to Independence [the largest we have sailed and the largest in the fleet at the time] have had a similar feel. Independence was probably my favorite of all, but that may have had more to do with the cruise [2 week TA ending in England with a post cruise trip to France] than the ship. My worst experience was on Jewel. The ship was fine but the service was as bad as I have experienced on RCI. But I take service issues somewhat with a grain of salt since crews change frequently and someone on a different cruise or even with different wait teams in the MDR might have a totally different experience. Even at that, the cruise was great. We were with great friends met some new folks and saw some great places in New England and Canada.

Edited by mjldvlks

I always say that my favorite cuise is "the next one"

-Jim

I always say it's the one I'm on although there were a couple of blips being Freedom and Mariner - 1 time only on each. The others we've been on were worth repeating only haven't had the chance to repeat Brilliance.

What is your favorite and least favorite cruise ship from RC and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My favorite ships are the Navigator and Mariner OTS. Normally I would go for a Radiance class size ship. However, I don't like the layout of the Radiance class of ships. I like the layout of the Navigator and Mariner.

My least favorite ship is the Majesty OTS. The layout is even more ridiculous than many of the Carnival ships. What happened to deck six once you get past the forward elevators? Deck six ends and there is no deck six mid ship or aft.

Sovereign class ships did the 360 as well, but had the inside entrance. Aft view got blocked somewhat when they added the rock climbing wall, however.

You're right. That's probably why Monarch is my least favorite, when I found out that you entered the VCL from inside the ship.

On SV, NP and SON we would fly kites off the back of the boat. Once we got them high in the sky, we would tie the kite off the rail and climb the stairs into the VCL and have a few cold ones. Those were the days.

Allure was our favorite ship after 13 cruises. Monarch of the Seas, just too small.

As for the extreme differences on the Oasis and Allure from loved it to hated it; If depends on your general point of view people, places and activities. I have a feeling the same people that hate the Allure and Oasis would hate New York City as tourists but to each his own view.

Originally Posted by LetsGetWet!

Now, if you're D+ with around double the base D+ points, you're given a dinner with a ship's officer!

Make that a meal, not necessarily dinner. Sometimes it's lunch.

Not sure you have to be D+, we've done lunch with officers twice and one of the times our kids were invited and they were D.

Favorites: Jewel and Rhapsody, although I'm with Gina on hating what the addition of more cabins has done to Rhapsody's Centrum, taking away a lot of light. Both have exceptional crews and for me, there's nothing like sitting in the Champagne Bar on Jewel, either people-watching or just gazing out at the ocean through the huge windows.

Least favorite: Allure. I concede that she's a marvel of naval engineering, there's lots to do onboard and the entertainment was mostly top-notch, but she's just not my cup of tea.

Not sure you have to be D+, we've done lunch with officers twice and one of the times our kids were invited and they were D.

True, it doesn't necessarily have to be D+. But that's where the stated benefit kicks in. Many people seem to confuse a meal with dinner. Often times it's dinner but on some ships and/or depending on how many D+ are on board, it's lunch.

Our D daughter was also extended the invitation which was a nice surprise. But it's not likely it would happen if she hadn't been traveling with us.

Gina

Favorite: Explorer, Mariner (when it sailed the Caribbean) and Celebrity Summit. Loved the atmosphere onboard, the crew and the entertainment.

Least favorite: Jewel (blah, boring ship with subpar entertainment), Allure (too overwhelming and exhausting)

Haven't been on a Freedom class ship yet, but I have a feeling I would love them.

So I guess these days to get the true "captain's table dinner" invite, you either have to be Pinnacle or have a gold-plated high-level connection of some kind...

Edited by LetsGetWet!

We havent had the opportunity to sail every class, but we have done multiple sailings on Enchantment and Grandeur. These are my favorite. I thought the size was great, pre-expansion as we sailed the last cruise before drydock. We liked our cruise on the Mariner. We are trying out the freedom this summer. Not sure how I will like the size. I like the smaller ships better. Time will tell. But as others have said before, any cruise is a great cruise. Its all about what you make of it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

After sailing newer ships, it was hard to go back to the Majesty. It just seemed old and outdated. Even while getting a massage, the ship sounded like a bucket of loose bolts. Newer ships offer speciality restaurants and top shelf entertainment, and lots of it! So, least fav is RCCL Majesty, and most fav is NCL Epic....but I'll soon by on NCL Getaway, so I'm guessing I'll have a new favorite....RCCL equivalents: Oasis and Allure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Favirite: Jewel - so many beautiful views. Never crowded. You can feel the motion if the ocean.

Least Favorite: Allure - it's nice for the kids, it's too artificial. It feels like a resort, not a ship.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk