Security check at embarkation and customs agents at disembarkation

bigguy6

I am getting the sense from reviews and blogs that the number of security check point agents at embarkation and the number of custom agents at disembarkation are less than there use to be, maybe because of the sequester. For people who have cruised over the years have you found this to be the case and if so how badly has it slowed thing up on either end recently? This might be a question for someone like Pam who has cruised a lot over the past years.

Getting off and thru formalities at the end of a cruise depends on the day of the week, the number of ships in port, the nationalities of passengers and the number of agents and the pier. There is no hard and fast answer.

Edited by chrysalis

I am getting the sense from reviews and blogs that the number of security check point agents at embarkation and the number of custom agents at disembarkation are less than there use to be, maybe because of the sequester. For people who have cruised over the years have you found this to be the case and if so how badly has it slowed thing up on either end recently? This might be a question for someone like Pam who has cruised a lot over the past years.

Getting off and thru formalities at the end of a cruise depends on the day of the week, the number of ships in port, the nationalities of passengers and the number of agents and the pier. There is no hard and fast answer.
I have nothing to add as this is the answer. :) One cruise might have issues, the next might not. Too many variables. That's why I always book a flight later than the time recommended by the cruise line, so I don't have to worry and stress out after a great cruise. If I have to wait at the airport, fine... I've got my iPad Mini with lots of books.

Wow, not once in 10 years, you are very fortunate:)

Same thing here. But we take mostly 10, 11, or 12 day cruises, so we're getting into port often on week days without many other ships. Border services may be on regular hours those days whereas on the w/e could be on O/T - therefore less agents called in. Don't know, but we've been happy.

Also, like Pam - we book later flights so there is less stress.

You've been lucky. I've had some nightmares. :(

I was on one of those with Pam.

In that case it had nothing to do with cutbacks, it was all due to immigration & customs procedures that limited cruisers disembarkaing to about six people per minute.

With 2600 people on board, you can see how that can take a while.

You've been lucky. I've had some nightmares. :(

We had a nightmare disembarkation on our 2nd cruise. We had a hurricane that gave us two extra days of cruising free, but when it was time to disembark, there were just too many ships in port for immigration to handle. Plus just about everyone changed to the earliest disembarkation time in order to get to the airport early to try to get flights. By the time Royal Caribbean called the third color and no one had moved yet, the lounge was so crowded that you basically could not breathe.

And the Fort Lauderdale airport on Labor Day after it had been closed for two days because of a hurricane was also hellish. We were put on 3 waiting lists, and were the last to make it on the first flight we were listed for. But, at least as the numbers were called we knew if we did not make that flight, we would definitely be on the next one. We did hear people screaming at the airport reservation people as they were told they were not getting a flight that day.

I was on one of those with Pam.

In that case it had nothing to do with cutbacks, it was all due to immigration & customs procedures that limited cruisers disembarkaing to about six people per minute.

With 2600 people on board, you can see how that can take a while.

And I was on the cruise right after yours, and "nightmare" is the kindest way to describe the embarkation. :eek:

It took us over an hour to clear the immigration line in Ft. Lauderdale this January. We did lots fo standing with some very grumpy people. We were driving, so we did not have the stress of a deadline. We smiled and chatted with the line handler, and she put us in the shortest line.

I can't speak to anyone else's disembarkation problems or simplicity. However, I disembarked at Port Everglades on 2/1/2014 from Ruby Princess. We chose the latest possible time to get off the ship. It took about 15 minutes from stepping onshore to being out to the shuttles for us. We did not even have to speak to an immigration/customs officer. Someone simply took our customs forms and told us to go. I asked "we don't have to stop anywhere?" and was told no. Never had that happened in any of my previous cruises (approx. 15, mostly from Miami or Ft Lauderdale)