Host Andy - Live From Century (February 2014)

Andy

That's funny Lois. I did a food shopping yesterday too, and purchased a nice looking Rib Eye as well :)

Hi Andy,:) I have to tell you why I posted that......there was one

evening all of us ordered the ribeye for dinner and none of them

were good:eek:.....It was me, Suzanne and Rick and Susan and Jimmy

and the 5 of us had a really good time at dinner each night:D

but those particular steaks? OMG....not good!

Our MDR table didn't have a good ribeye experience either - on both the 3 dayer and 8, so I guess it's the quality of meat they buy, it was not good.

Our MDR table didn't have a good ribeye experience either - on both the 3 dayer and 8, so I guess it's the quality of meat they buy, it was not good.

It was the only poor meal (for me).

I will say the best beef was in Murano:D....I shared a Chateaubriand

for 2 and omg.....now that was one of the best pieces of steak

I have ever had...land or sea:D

Hi Lois,

We experienced the same thing with the Rib Eye on the 8 night sailing. However, on the 3 night sailing, several of us ordered the Rib Eye, and it was excellent ! Luck of the draw ? Who knows :)

was going into dry dock for refurbishment in february ? evidently that may have changed ? Read that first sailing afterwards would be in April, did they cancel the refurb ? thanks anyway see you in April Century !!!

Hi Mailmanmike,

Century had a 1 week drydock in February. Because the ship is presumably being moved to another Royal Caribbean brand in 2015, Celebrity opted to do Marine/technical work on the ship, and did very little (if anything) to public areas.

Hope this helps !

this is news to us, i read somewhere on celebrity they were cancelling 3 March cruises for refurbishment , new suites, rooms, etc, then read people were getting discounts for having to rebook trips, only concern was that April 5 was the first sailing after the refurb. So your comments reassure us that this sailing is on schedule, will be first Celebrity X experience, 14 Rccl trips with some Norweigian and Carnival in there, We are excited to Sail on Celebrity !!

Century had a 1 week drydock in February. Because the ship is presumably being moved to another Royal Caribbean brand in 2015, Celebrity opted to do Marine/technical work on the ship, and did very little (if anything) to public areas.

Andy -

We were on the 23 Feb sailing and previously on Century in December. The only cosmetic work we were able to detect was the change-out of some of the carpet around the buffet. However, during our February cruise they started reupolstering the chairs in the Crystal Room. Every day there would be a few freshly redone chairs delivered during the elite breakfast hours.

During the drydock they did do some major replacement work on the air conditioning systems... we noticed that the ship, in general, was cooler than in December.

This will probably be our last Century sailing and we're sorry to see her leave the fleet as the smaller ships have been our favorites. I also think we got lucky with an excellent MDR waiter (Canver), who was on his last cruise before going on time off.

this is news to us, i read somewhere on celebrity they were cancelling 3 March cruises for refurbishment , new suites, rooms, etc, then read people were getting discounts for having to rebook trips, only concern was that April 5 was the first sailing after the refurb. So your comments reassure us that this sailing is on schedule, will be first Celebrity X experience, 14 Rccl trips with some Norweigian and Carnival in there, We are excited to Sail on Celebrity !!

Hi Mike,

I'm glad the information was helpful. Hope you have a great time on Century. She's a wonderful ship !

Host Andy,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your family at the Connections Party.

We were on the ship from Feb 12--to March 3 and I pretty much agree with everything you posted. The mess with the B2B was pretty much taken care of by the 3rd leg. We were given our new room keys at the meeting at the cinema, walked quickly through immigration (they barely looked at anything), only detained briefly when we came back up the escalator and on board.

We also were not listed for the first part of the B2B and I was not a happy camper. This has happened to us several times before and it really got to me this time. Both times they told us the credit card would be carried over and then got the letter to come to the desk, my husband had been there 3 hours before with the card, checking to see if it was OK---they told him yes and then he had to go down 3 hours later.

I realize they are selling the ship, but I was surprised at the repairs they were not making. The upper pool deck is in terrible shape and someone will trip up there eventually and get seriously hurt.

Although I love the little extras of Celebrity. I don't think we will be back for awhile, just too many things that left a bad taste.

Host Andy,

We were on the ship from Feb 12--to March 3 and I pretty much agree with everything you posted. The mess with the B2B was pretty much taken care of by the 3rd leg. We were given our new room keys at the meeting at the cinema, walked quickly through immigration (they barely looked at anything), only detained briefly when we came back up the escalator and on board.

We also were not listed for the first part of the B2B and I was not a happy camper. This has happened to us several times before and it really got to me this time. Both times they told us the credit card would be carried over and then got the letter to come to the desk, my husband had been there 3 hours before with the card, checking to see if it was OK---they told him yes and then he had to go down 3 hours later.

Thanks for the update on the second turn-around day. Sounds like they took some of the MANY suggestions that they got about the problems on the first turn-around. But, for the life of me, I don't understand why they even pretend that the credit cards are going to carry-over to the next cruise. For us, it would have been much easier just to go down to the GR desk on turn-around day and get our cards rescanned -- but, they wouldn't take our cards that day! :rolleyes:

Host Andy,

I realize they are selling the ship, but I was surprised at the repairs they were not making. The upper pool deck is in terrible shape and someone will trip up there eventually and get seriously hurt.

Although I love the little extras of Celebrity. I don't think we will be back for awhile, just too many things that left a bad taste.

Hi Patti,

Thanks for sharing your insights on your recent leg. It's nice to hear that things are getting resolved, but it remains frustrating what an adventure it is, for guests sailing back to back. While I will never say never, due to the many issues we encounterd, it's going to take a ton of convincing, to get Mom to do a back to back again. It was simply too much for her, and I'm not ever going to put her in a position where she's uncomfortable.

As for the credit card issue, we experienced the same. I'm totally fine with going to GR to swipe my card again - though with today's technology, it really shouldn't be necessary. If it must ? Fine. It only takes a few mins. What was annoying, was the constant line of miscommunication. I do not care for that nonsense, when I'm eager to relax & enjoy my vacation. Here's a suggestion : Create a smooth turnaround plan for your guests. Train your personnel, then stick to the plan. Period.

I truly hope that Celebrity reads our comments, and will reach out to those who experienced issues on the turnaround day, so that we can share our insights & suggestions, and help create an easier turnaround experience. There's no question it can & should be done, and I'm counting on Celebrity to make it happen.

Edited by Host Andy

Does century have a movie theater? If so, what was showing recently?

Yes, they do. A few weeks ago, Captain Phillips was one of the movies in the cinema. Hope this helps !

Thanks_Andy. Did you find out if Murrano was open for lunch at anytime?

We were on the same Century back-to-back as Andy. We had dinner in Murano twice, and asked if they were featuring a lunch, anytime during our cruise. The Maitre'd got back to one of our tablemates late in the cruise and apologized for not having a lunch in Murano -- apparently, there was not enough interest. :(

Thanks. We leave tomorrow and will be on her for 16 nights.

Unless something changes, tomorrow will be Century's final appearance in Port Everglades. I will try to watch your sailaway on the PEV webcam.

Have a great time !

Edited by Host Andy

We're just back today from the b2b2b and spending two days in Ft. Lauderdale post-cruise due to snow in our area and our canceled Monday flight (we rescheduled flight after SW "warning" it might be canceled or delayed).

Thanks_Andy. Did you find out if Murrano was open for lunch at anytime?

Below is my post on the same question on Andy's "Questions" thread regarding what Murano told me. Until Suzanne mentioned it here, I wasn't aware that Century didn't have a lunch for the Feb. 15th cruise due to lack of interest.

I checked with Murano. On the Century, they have one lunch for short cruises and two lunches for longer cruises. The 8-night cruise will have one, but 11+ night cruises will have two lunches in Murano.

Kathy

Does century have a movie theater? If so, what was showing recently?

On the 3 cruises, in addition to "Captain Phillips," they also showed "Jobs" about Steve Jobs, "Parkland" about the hospital where JFK died, "Diana" about Princess Diana, "White House Down," "World War Z", "Hunger Games" ("Catching Fire" I think), "Red 2," and at least one other that was an animation movie.

Kathy

We were on the same Century back-to-back as Andy. We had dinner in Murano twice, and asked if they were featuring a lunch, anytime during our cruise. The Maitre'd got back to one of our tablemates late in the cruise and apologized for not having a lunch in Murano -- apparently, there was not enough interest. :(

Murano did have one lunch on the second 8 day cruise.

Below is my post on the same question on Andy's "Questions" thread regarding what Murano told me. Until Suzanne mentioned it here, I wasn't aware that Century didn't have a lunch for the Feb. 15th cruise due to lack of interest.

Kathy

Murano did have one lunch on the second 8 day cruise.

AARGHH -- not only did you guys get another week on Century, but you got our Murano lunch, too!!! :eek::D

At dinner there on the first night, we talked to the Maitre'd of Murano about our interest in: a) lunch, and b) a cooking class -- which one of our tablemates had done on a previous cruise. They said they would get back to us on both of our requests. We soon learned that they could not do the cooking class, but still might do a lunch. Toward the end of the cruise, we were told that there was not enough "interest" in a Murano lunch, so they canceled it. :(

Just back from the final 3 day Century cruise. My recent series of Century cruises have provided an opportunity to reconnect with some past friends and meet some of the wonderful Cruise Critic posters. As a side note: I just can't believe how well the younger passengers were behaved on the last Century cruise. Holding doors and wishing a good day were typical behavior that I personally witnessed. Most problems seemed to be with the 40 to 50 group who were getting the most value from the drink packages. Once again a big "thank you" to all.