Host Andy - Live From Century (February 2014)

Andy

I guess after reading all these mixed comments about the condition of the Century it can be perceived as a bit negative towards Celebrity . Having said that as a few of us discussed early in the piece; we are sailing on her for the ports of call; the character and ambience of this graceful lady and especially the great fares!. How could you go wrong. I have been on liners 40 years old in the 70's and only remember good times.

The original ship we were going to book on; Volendaam I know has had; or is having a refurbishment this year but I know we will not regret the experience on the Century. Our verandah cabin was the same price as an outside stateroom on a much lower deck on the Volendaam

Bring on September 16th Cheers Norm

Hello Norm,

I was checking out this forum and it was such a delight to see your post.

Just want to say Hello to you and Jenny. Hope your shoulder is better....

Lydia

We are on the 3rd leg of our b2b2b. This cruise we have three Elite drink vouchers per person/per day (except embarkation & Sr. Officer party days) on this cruise. The vouchers can be used in all lounges including the Cova Cafe and the Elite Lounge but not the MDR, Murano's, Michael's Club, and the Martini Bar. Unlike the vouchers we had on our November Eclipse cruise, we can use them only for drinks on the Elite menu and not for items on the Classic Beverage package. That means no bottled water or Riesling and only Chardonnay for me with the coupons.

More later from the cruise. I'll be posting on Andy's "questions" thread too.

Kathy

Andy, thanks again for your thorough imsights during this sailing. Hopefully, your ''encouraging conversation with (....) officers'' did include some attempts to unveil the ''view from the other side'' as regards the now firmly obvious trend from Celebrity to create an untenable atmosphere with their ''sound volume'' policies.

Still puzzles me as to what exactly their objective is, what goal they are pursuing....

Cheers

Claude

Their objective is to weed out the older folks (40+) who enjoy social interaction with ambient music in the background.... and instead cater to younger people you see with ipods/headphones perpetually stuck in their ears.... those who can't go anywhere without music blaring in their ears.. You know the ones... constantly hunched over their smartphones wherever they are...home, social events, in their car, restaurants, etc.. Music has consumed their lives to the point that it takes first priority over social interaction and interpersonal relations.. Celebrity recognizes this and is trying to lure these people onto their ships, at the expense of everybody else.

We haven't sailed Celebrity for over 3 years for these (and other) reasons.. We'll see how it all plays out 5-10 years down the line for Celebrity...

- Rick

We are on the 3rd leg of our b2b2b. This cruise we have three Elite drink vouchers per person/per day (except embarkation & Sr. Officer party days) on this cruise. The vouchers can be used in all lounges including the Cova Cafe and the Elite Lounge but not the MDR, Murano's, Michael's Club, and the Martini Bar. Unlike the vouchers we had on our November Eclipse cruise, we can use them only for drinks on the Elite menu and not for items on the Classic Beverage package. That means no bottled water or Riesling and only Chardonnay for me with the coupons.

Kathy

Hello Kathy, I asked Andy a question but without the search feature, I'm having problems locating it. My friends are on the California coastal Century cruise with no sea-days. Their question is, do they get to have that beautiful Sea Day brunch even though they have no sea-days?

I think Andy may have answered this question already. But I really miss the search feature, I'm unable to find things. :(

Thank you so much for your time in advance.

Thanks for the update Andy.

I hope Celebrity gets the message about the music. While I'm a musician who loves almost all styles of music, I can not stand inappropriately loud music. Are try trying to force a party atmosphere? They need to know that it is more likely causing people to not enjoy themselves.

Edited by Chitown12562

Thanks for the update Andy.

I hope Celebrity gets the message about the music. While I'm a musician who loves almost all styles of music, I can not stand inappropriately loud music. Are try trying to force a party atmosphere? They need to know that it is more likely causing people to not enjoy themselves.

I normally go to the Martini Bar on a regular basis but not on this cruise.

I did go there but not nearly as much:rolleyes:.......seems "after 8" HQ has

told them to "pump up the volume"......:eek:........

Just off the Century. Wonderful cruise. FOr the most part, she is well maintained and a beautiful ship. Loved MDR meals. Loved cova café. Loved the piano man, he is fantastic. Absolutely hated the loud music in the Martini Lounge. Techno crap. I should be turned off!!! Buffet meals were the same everyday. Not much variation there. Loved the spa but they are bringing in a new company in 3 weeks. My spa lady is going to Holland America for the rest of her contract. I thought that the crew did an excellent job with docking and I did not feel any vibrations. Crew always smiling and very accommodating. Next cruise....Nov 2014!!!

I think Andy may have answered this question already. But I really miss the search feature, I'm unable to find things. :(

Hi MsSoCalCruiser,

Im sure they are working on resolving the search issues. If I hear anything further, I will be sure to share an update with our community. In the meantime, please check the sticky at the top of this forum, for updates.

Hope this helps !

Kathy

We were on the prior 2 legs and wish they had used the voucher system particularly on the 2/15 leg. The lounge was very crowded and service spotty altho it got better as the trip went on and we connected with a couple of the wait staff.

we were in cabin 5015. we had very loud noises 7:30am and 10:00pm every night. it would be rolling walking and then loud noises about 3 times that were so loud it sounded like a bomb going off. went to front guest services at least twice a day. I asked if they had another room and they said no. Thursday night (2 days till we returned to port) they asked if we wanted to change room. did somebody leave the ship? I did not get a good nights sleep for 8 nights. there were many good things about the cruise but there were many things that were not so good. I do not know how they could sell that cabin with that noise.

we were in cabin 5015. we had very loud noises 7:30am and 10:00pm every night. it would be rolling walking and then loud noises about 3 times that were so loud it sounded like a bomb going off. went to front guest services at least twice a day. I asked if they had another room and they said no. Thursday night (2 days till we returned to port) they asked if we wanted to change room. did somebody leave the ship? I did not get a good nights sleep for 8 nights. there were many good things about the cruise but there were many things that were not so good. I do not know how they could sell that cabin with that noise.

That's disheartening. They should have given you onboard credit at least. I am a light sleeper. I would have been very grumpy, but I am an early riser so perhaps I would have been okay.

Sorry that happened to you.

"We had a poolside sailaway party this afternoon, featuring Jordan Peterson's tribute to Billy Joel & Elton John. All I can say is... WOW. Jordan had the pool deck rocking ! What a fantastic performance. If you have an opportunity to catch Jordan perform on a future Celebrity sailing, he's not to be missed." by Host Andy

Does anyone have any idea how long Jordan will be on Century? We are not booked until August so that is a long way off and therefore doubtful we'll have the pleasure of his talents. :-(

Dianne

Reading this thread and feeling all the love for this ship, I am getting even more excited to be on the Dubai to Rome cruise. I was happy just to be able to coordinate a Celebrity cruse with Dubai involved, and to know I'll be my first time on the ship for its last sailing with Celebrity, I think the soul of the ship would make up for any frayed carpet or threadbaren towels one may encounter on that final sailing.

Or...

Maybe they will pull out all the stops and it will be one for the record books....:D

Their objective is to weed out the older folks (40+) who enjoy social interaction with ambient music in the background.... and instead cater to younger people you see with ipods/headphones perpetually stuck in their ears.... those who can't go anywhere without music blaring in their ears.. You know the ones... constantly hunched over their smartphones wherever they are...home, social events, in their car, restaurants, etc.. Music has consumed their lives to the point that it takes first priority over social interaction and interpersonal relations.. Celebrity recognizes this and is trying to lure these people onto their ships, at the expense of everybody else.

We haven't sailed Celebrity for over 3 years for these (and other) reasons.. We'll see how it all plays out 5-10 years down the line for Celebrity...

- Rick

My parents hated hippies, flower power, the Beetles, Herman's Hermits my hair and everything that expressed the youth of those years. Now as a retired college professor , I can tell you there is hope and a bright future for youth today. I am willing to be tolerant, and I consider myself quite conservative in my views.

"We had a poolside sailaway party this afternoon, featuring Jordan Peterson's tribute to Billy Joel & Elton John. All I can say is... WOW. Jordan had the pool deck rocking ! What a fantastic performance. If you have an opportunity to catch Jordan perform on a future Celebrity sailing, he's not to be missed." by Host Andy

Does anyone have any idea how long Jordan will be on Century? We are not booked until August so that is a long way off and therefore doubtful we'll have the pleasure of his talents. :-(

Dianne

Dianne, Jordan is on board CENTURY till the end of March and then

he is going on Summit and will be on her all summer to Bermuda.

So, nope, he won't be on CENTURY in August.

And that sailaway with the Billy Joel/Elton John session was

fabulous:D...I watched/listened to the whole thing...REALLY FUN:)

My parents hated hippies, flower power, the Beetles, Herman's Hermits my hair and everything that expressed the youth of those years. Now as a retired college professor , I can tell you there is hope and a bright future for youth today. I am willing to be tolerant, and I consider myself quite conservative in my views.

Well---la tee dah...the music I s still TOO DAMN LOUD:mad:

Being tolerant is a good thing BUT I was on the cruise with Andy

and tolerance had nothing to do with the VOLUME IN THE MARTINI BAR:eek:

I am using caps for a reason...you had to YELL AT THE PERSON ACROSS

FROM YOU in order to communicate:eek:.....

Being tolerant is a good thing BUT I was on the cruise with Andy

and tolerance had nothing to do with the VOLUME IN THE MARTINI BAR:eek:

I am using caps for a reason...you had to YELL AT THE PERSON ACROSS

FROM YOU in order to communicate:eek:.....

Just trying to make a point about the other items listed in the statement . I will sail on April 5 and probably have to avoid the Martini Bar.

Reading this thread and feeling all the love for this ship, I am getting even more excited to be on the Dubai to Rome cruise. I was happy just to be able to coordinate a Celebrity cruse with Dubai involved, and to know I'll be my first time on the ship for its last sailing with Celebrity, I think the soul of the ship would make up for any frayed carpet or threadbaren towels one may encounter on that final sailing.

Or...

Maybe they will pull out all the stops and it will be one for the record books....:D

I love your outlook! You're my people!

Jean

Hi MsSoCalCruiser,

Im sure they are working on resolving the search issues. If I hear anything further, I will be sure to share an update with our community. In the meantime, please check the sticky at the top of this forum, for updates.

Hope this helps !

Thank you so much Andy. I will continue to check the sticky at the top of the forum for updates. I was just unsure if you had responded to my question regarding the Sea Day brunch. I really appreciate the search function. I am lost without it!

Just trying to make a point about the other items listed in the statement . I will sail on April 5 and probably have to avoid the Martini Bar.

Hi:)....I will say overall I had a fantastic time though:D.......

The staff is Cova are sooo good......I was in there almost every

day.:)

One of the mid ship cabins. My experience is that they replaced the carpet in half the cabins, as in every other cabin as you walk down the hall. We have sailed on Century many times in interconnecting cabins and one cabin would have decent carpet while the other would have the old stuff (they have a different pattern to them). As far as I can tell nothing was replaced on the interior of the ship during dry dock (no carpet or furniture).

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

We were told by Cameron Robertson, the Guest Relations mgr, that the martini bar was completely redone during the drydock and as you can see from the shot below it did look new. Also it was mentioned that there was a crew onboard re-upholstering the chairs in the Crystal lounge but I saw little progress re this while onboard the Feb.15th cruise. The newly done, but very few, chairs were all gold and some of the old, which were striped, chairs were looking really bad in that venue.

Our cabin this cruise and the one we had on our Hawaii cruise in late Nov. had new carpet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=303508&d=1393332011

P2180182.jpg.30d3ff074f79d52e005f324fc3a9df52.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

We were on the Mercury a long time ago on the vista deck midship ... inside cabin. Same thing as you experienced but it would start up around 4:30 AM and was bad again late at night. Well, it was so bad it actually shook the floor of the cabin. We were all out in the hallway one night it was so bad. Come to find out (from someone that knew but wasn't supposed to say) that it was the room service galley below. Interesting~! We were finally moved to another room as it was a 14 night cruise and oh, so much better. The room was excellent (one of those sideways ones) in every other way but that noise was incredible. The room steward was so irritated that he lost one of his cabins....I am sure it wasn't the first time it happened. They always act like they don't know what it is when they know full well exactly where the noise is coming from. Yes, shame on them and they should disclose that ahead of time. Now, not only do I look for a cabin above me but also below me. No sleep can make for a very grumpy passenger, whereas some people would have no issue with the noise. My brother can just sleep standing up if he needed to...with kids screaming all around him. Me....not so much.