Host Andy - Live From Century (February 2014)

Andy

Suzanne, we didn't go with the turnaround group and instead went off at 9:20am to go to Walgreens and Starbucks. We couldn't return before 11am (returned 11:30am) But they did have a "required" (at least one per cabin to attend) meeting on the last sea day to tell us the same exact information that was in the letter we received in the cabin. At the meeting they said don't worry about credit card that it will transfer to which attendees groaned and said likely not true. Attendees were right that credit cards did not transfer and we had to re-register. The meeting was probably a result of negative guest feedback from the previous turnaround.

Linda, don't be too jealous. We probably can't go home Monday because of weather (snow). We are in your "favorite" place today - Grand Turk at Jack's Shack. No Island Tram tour for us after what they did to us last week! Instead we booked a Ft Lauderdale hotel for 2 nights (Monday and Tuesday) and changed our flights to Wednesday. Airfare change was free because our flight was already flagged as potential delay due to weather. We didn't book next 3-night cruise as only one $$$ Royal suite was available. Pillow menu and other list of amenities were in a separate booklet from the big dark book.

They have turned down the music volume on the ship. Things are progressively getting smoother. Feb. 23rd cruise has been smoother than Feb. 15th cruise which was more organized than Feb. 12th cruise. Cova Cafe continues to be our "fun" favorite place along with Rendezvous Lounge with Elite drink vouchers where our favorite Cova servers are during 5-7pm happy hour.

Kathy

Thanks so much to everyone that responded about the pillows. I have always slept best on Celebrity but it's been such a long time since I sailed on the old Mercury that I just wasn't sure if they had the same amenities as ships like the Equinox and Solstice. I am so happy to hear they have feather pillows -- and body pillows available in the CC. Love the Celebrity body pillows!!

We are trying to pack in carry on luggage and now may be able to make it. We got our reservations for Murano so will not require any formal clothing....think we are just about set....thanks to everyone's replies. :o

I actually looked through the blue book in my cabin, because I wanted to look at the room service menu people on the board has been griping about. No sign of a pillow menu. I've occupied a lot of CC cabins in my day, and never seen one, although I don't usually peruse all the stuff left in the stateroom either. Interesting that you've actually seen one.

Oh sorry....I didn't literally mean a menu you could find in the room. I just meant to ask if you could request a pillow of a certain type and they wouldn't look at you like you were from Mars.

Thanks for the answers....I am oh, so happy they do have pillow options so I don't have to pack my own.

:)

This was our first time on X and so we didn't know an ice bucket wasn't standard in the cabin. It is on HAL. It wasn't a big problem for us, but would have been nice to know that one would be provided on request. How is a person to know this if they don't follow on cruise critic? :-)

Edited by 1cruiselvr

This was our first time on X and so we didn't know an ice bucket wasn't standard in the cabin. It is on HAL. It wasn't a big problem for us, but would have been nice to know that one would be provided on request. How is a person to know this if they don't follow on cruise critic? :-)

Without the search feature I have been having a hard time finding out the things I need to know as a newbie on X. Hoping to just go with the flow. Already had to pay $$ to change our flight from Monday - could not wait for SWA to make the offer.

I think we had an ice bucket in our cabin, when we boarded. Not in a suite or anything, just a verandah cabin. But, the first thing we always ask our room steward or butler for is ice delivery twice a day. Never been a problem. :cool:

Hi 1cruiselvr,

We've always had an ice bucket without asking, but this wasnt the case on Century. Not a big deal. We asked on Day 1, and received it immediately, and it was always refilled. I'm unsure if this is change on Celebrity, or something specific to Century. If you do not have one in your cabin - just ask for it. They are happy to accomodate.

Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi 1cruiselvr,

We've always had an ice bucket without asking, but this wasnt the case on Century. Not a big deal. We asked on Day 1, and received it immediately, and it was always refilled. I'm unsure if this is change on Celebrity, or something specific to Century. If you do not have one in your cabin - just ask for it. They are happy to accomodate.

Hope this helps !

Hi Andy:

From what I have been able to read, the disappearnce of the ice bucket from cabins is a fairly recent change that seems to have happened on several ships. We did not have one initially in either our Sky Suite or our Concierge cabin on the Century back-to-back in February, but they were cheerfully provided, and filled with ice twice daily, once we asked.

Boy do I ever need to come back!!! The weather her is beyond belief. No relief in sight.

I thought the beds on the Century were fine and did not request an egg crate. I had both an inside (on the 3-night) and a CC cabin.

I've never ordered them in advance, just asked for them on first meeting the cabin attendant.

I had some of the best service I've ever had and also some of the worst. The new folks don't seem to be receiving any training. Carolyn's butler served our dinner all at once! Including the sorbet. That was an experience. He seemed to be a delightful guy, just hadn't been trained in how to do his job. Our assistant waiter wanted me to re-use a fork. Told him he would have to bring me a new one. He was clearly clueless.

Hi Linda:

This wasn't just your waiter. We had select dining, and regardless of the waiter, or assistant waiter, my used fork was removed from my plate and put back in place on the tablecloth for the next course. I don't ever remember this happening before, but it happened every night if I had three courses (appetizer, salad, main course). Apparently two forks is the new limit. I don't remember anyone removing the crumbs between courses, either, although this used to be standard.

Suzanne, we didn't go with the turnaround group and instead went off at 9:20am to go to Walgreens and Starbucks. We couldn't return before 11am (returned 11:30am) But they did have a "required" (at least one per cabin to attend) meeting on the last sea day to tell us the same exact information that was in the letter we received in the cabin. At the meeting they said don't worry about credit card that it will transfer to which attendees groaned and said likely not true. Attendees were right that credit cards did not transfer and we had to re-register. The meeting was probably a result of negative guest feedback from the previous turnaround.

Kathy

When I read this I could just hear the groaning as I would have been one of the persons groaning loudest. We've never had a credit card "transfer" between legs of B2B cruises.

Hope you travel home safely.

The problem is that we were told that it was happening. I made a trip to the guest relations desk specifically for that purpose, credit card in hand, only to be told that since I was on the previous cruise, all information would transfer over automatically. Few days later, a letter was delivered to our room worded like we were trying to skip out of paying, telling us we had to go the guest relations desk with cash or cashier's check for the amount of our onboard account to date. ??? The kicker was the letter was dated January 15, 2014 and it was the middle of February when we received the letter. I have to say that for a first time X cruiser, I was not impressed with the guest relations desk onboard. We had many issues with them. Different answers to same question, depending on who you asked at the desk, etc. to just name one. I rated them low on my customer survey onboard and the online survey they send a few days after your cruise ends. I wrote details in the comments section, although I doubt it will mean much.

We were on B2B's and when each cruised began, I inquired if a suite cash upgrade was available. I was given many different answers and eventually expressed my frustration to them over the differing answers, not that I wasn't offered an upgrade. I ran into another passenger with same issue, also frustrated. However, he must have made a fuss (I can only assume) because he was offered a free dinner for he and his wife in Murano. Found that interesting.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Hi Linda:

This wasn't just your waiter. We had select dining, and regardless of the waiter, or assistant waiter, my used fork was removed from my plate and put back in place on the tablecloth for the next course. I don't ever remember this happening before, but it happened every night if I had three courses (appetizer, salad, main course). Apparently two forks is the new limit. I don't remember anyone removing the crumbs between courses, either, although this used to be standard.

Yikes, Eileen (and Linda)! We didn't have a problem with this, at our late-seating table. Our all-female waitstaff, Vatiswa & Carla, provided impeccable service. Our tablemates, Jimmy & Susan, told us and Lois that they had specifically requested to be seated in their area for the 8-niter. Of course, that worked out well for us -- great tablemates and an outstanding waitstaff! :D Now, if they would just do something about that ribeye.....:rolleyes:

Hi Linda:

Not classy at all. This is Modern Luxury? Spare me.

I refused to re-use the fork and made him bring me a new one.

Our table got crumbed on the 3-night when we had a good assistant. And we also got extra silverware as needed. Does anyone remember the early days of Celebrity when you got enough silverware to last for several meals?

I asked my favorite waiter one time about the crumbing issue--he said his assistant wasn't doing it because he was lazy.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

In our CC cabin, it was a small advertisement booklet set up next to the bed tabletop (the pseudo nightstand). .

I've seen this once on the Eclipse, but not on any others yet. And I look...

Andy (and fellow b2b-ers), I posted a review of the 8-niter (Feb 15-23) in the Member Reviews section. It will probably take a couple of days before it goes up, though. I couldn't get over the negative reviews of the 3-niter that preceded it. Makes me think that I must have been on a completely different ship (or planet) from the folks who posted those reviews! :rolleyes:

Hi Suzanne,:) I read the 2 that you are talking about. Sorry they had

such a horrible time:eek::rolleyes:....when everything from start to finish is bad?

I can say I know we had a good time:D....perfect? No....it is never

perfecto but much closer to a 4 star time than a 1 star, that is for

sure!

Oh...I went to the grocery store today and got a good looking ribeye;)

Andy (and fellow b2b-ers), I posted a review of the 8-niter (Feb 15-23) in the Member Reviews section. It will probably take a couple of days before it goes up, though. I couldn't get over the negative reviews of the 3-niter that preceded it. Makes me think that I must have been on a completely different ship (or planet) from the folks who posted those reviews! :rolleyes:
I read those negative reviews also and could not figure out why the one reviewer made such a big production out of the late ship departure. I guess if you had a private excursion at a port and were worried about arriving on time but I don't remember a late arrival at either port on the 3 nighter. If that's a major complaint then the reviewer should probably not cruise.

Dotty

Hi Wwcruisers,

Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to reading your review. I'm surprised to hear of the negative reviews for the 3 night sailing. While we had some service issues on the 3 night sailing - it's important to note that things nicely improved on the 8 night leg. Overall, we had a excellent time on both legs of our sailing. I'm glad we had a chance to sail on Century one last time. We'll always have many wonderful memories of her.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Suzanne,:) I read the 2 that you are talking about. Sorry they had

such a horrible time:eek::rolleyes:....when everything from start to finish is bad?

I can say I know we had a good time:D....perfect? No....it is never

perfecto but much closer to a 4 star time than a 1 star, that is for

sure!

Oh...I went to the grocery store today and got a good looking ribeye;)

That's funny Lois. I did a food shopping yesterday too, and purchased a nice looking Rib Eye as well :)

On our way to the port to board Century, our first cruise on X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Have a great time on the 3 nighter. I have many friends sailing with you today. Wish I was there !

On our way to the port to board Century, our first cruise on X.

… of her for use. We board on Thursday for the 15 night Panama Canal and then the 8 night Pacific Coastal.

Frank in clear but cool SBA:cool: