Host Andy - Live From Century (February 2014)

Andy

Thanks ANDY! Escargot are not part of my daily diet, so I do so look forward to them on our "cruise diet".

Are there any other things on Century that stood out as must tries, eating wise?:confused:

I'd highly recommend most everything at the Cova Cafe, and for some casual food - the burgers & hot dogs by the pool. Forget about the diet - you are on vacation :)

Hi Bob,

I look forward to seeing you as well. I hope you are on the April 5th sailing, as that's when we are onboard :)

Hi Andy,

That's our sail date. We will be sailing with our new friends from Belgium. We met them on the Connie 14 day in April '12. Great couple. We were to sail together in April '13, but health issues with our son changed our plans. Can't wait to see Martine and Bart.

Bob

Why would you want to count the shrimp in your cocktail? :confused: Just tell your server you want one with 4, 6, 8, 10, or however many you want. :rolleyes:

Hi Wine-O,

That's my fault. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that the Shrimp Cocktail had been cut from 4 shrimp to 3 - which was not a complaint, just an observation. However, at the time, I also mentioned that it wasn't a big deal, as you can order as many Shrimp Cocktails as you wish. Unfortunately, my comment took a life of it's own, and turned into a rather large discussion.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Edited by Host Andy

After reading through all the posts, I just wanted to comment that I, too, had a wonderful cruise 2/15-23. My concierge cabin was very nice and the attendants were wonderful. We did not have fresh flowers every day (just one rose for the length of the cruise) and personally I would never again spend the extra money for this "special" cabin, but it was fine.

My only complaint was the Persian Garden. The "aromatherapy" steam room had no smell at all no matter how many times we told the staff, and the regular steam room had about an inch of water on the floor at all times. It was a waste of money for me.

I will be going on Equinox for the second time next week, and it will be much nicer in many ways, but I will miss Century because she is a class act even with her little imperfections.

We went early and we didn't see any shrimp either. However, I thought it was very organized. We were seated at a very nice table and it was easy to find .... I always forget where I am in a buffet.:p We enjoyed it and thought it was nicer and more organized than the last one we went to which was on Millennium (but that was a 5 dayer).

Maybe a decision made on ship by ship basis to serve shrimp ceviche. We were on the Summit for a B2B several weeks ago and had shrimp galore on both brunches as usual.

Maybe a decision made on ship by ship basis to serve shrimp ceviche. We were on the Summit for a B2B several weeks ago and had shrimp galore on both brunches as usual.

4shrimp per serving on Silhouette. Bob emailed me reporting now 4 shrimp being served per portion on Century. That hopefully ends the shrimp conspiracy theory.

Hi Orator,

Sorry we didnt get a chance to say so long on the last night of the cruise. I hope you are having a great time on Silhouette, and I hope we meet again soon. Please email me when time permits !

4shrimp per serving on Silhouette. Bob emailed me reporting now 4 shrimp being served per portion on Century. That hopefully ends the shrimp conspiracy theory.

I was on the 2/12 and 2/15 Century sailings. I love shrimp cocktail so it was my appetizer of choice every night in the MDR. They started out serving 4 medium sized shrimp each night, and at some point it was reduced to 3 and stayed that way for the rest of the cruise. My tablemate also ordered the shrimp cocktail each night and noticed the reduction first. Honestly, I didn't pay attention until she said something. After that, we joked every night that the count was down again. We knew we could order 2 of them to get more shrimp but we had so much food with appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert, that we never bothered. Just thought I'd provide my 2 cents on the shrimp subject. :)

I was on the 2/12 and 2/15 Century sailings. I love shrimp cocktail so it was my appetizer of choice every night in the MDR. They started out serving 4 medium sized shrimp each night, and at some point it was reduced to 3 and stayed that way for the rest of the cruise. My tablemate also ordered the shrimp cocktail each night and noticed the reduction first. Honestly, I didn't pay attention until she said something. After that, we joked every night that the count was down again. We knew we could order 2 of them to get more shrimp but we had so much food with appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert, that we never bothered. Just thought I'd provide my 2 cents on the shrimp subject. :)

I think you all are missing the "shrimp" point, or maybe I'm missing the "shrimp" point. :rolleyes:

If you find out that they only give 3 or 4 shrimp when you order shrimp cocktail, if you want 6 or 8 shrimp, you don't have to order two shrimp cocktails. You just tell your waiter you want one shrimp cocktail with 7 shrimp. So if he's bright enough, he'll get two shrimp cocktails (holding 4 shrimp each) from the kitchen and take it to the serving table and transfer the shrimp to one cocktail.

Same when they have steak and lobster as separate entrees. You order the steak and tell him you want just the lobster added to your steak entrée. Again, if he's bright enough, he will get the two entrees from the kitchen and transfer the lobster to the steak plate, discarding all the sides from the lobster plate, and just serve your steak & sides along with a tail.

Of course some waiters are not so bright or just lazy and will bring you the two entrees. It only takes a few moments to retrain him/her. :cool:

I think you all are missing the "shrimp" point, or maybe I'm missing the "shrimp" point. :rolleyes:

If you find out that they only give 3 or 4 shrimp when you order shrimp cocktail, if you want 6 or 8 shrimp, you don't have to order two shrimp cocktails. You just tell your waiter you want one shrimp cocktail with 7 shrimp. So if he's bright enough, he'll get two shrimp cocktails (holding 4 shrimp each) from the kitchen and take it to the serving table and transfer the shrimp to one cocktail.

Same when they have steak and lobster as separate entrees. You order the steak and tell him you want just the lobster added to your steak entrée. Again, if he's bright enough, he will get the two entrees from the kitchen and transfer the lobster to the steak plate, discarding all the sides from the lobster plate, and just serve your steak & sides along with a tail.

Of course some waiters are not so bright or just lazy and will bring you the two entrees. It only takes a few moments to retrain him/her. :cool:

I'm not missing the point. I was just providing my reduction in shrimp experience.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Composed earlier today before we got off the ship this morning . . . .

Sharon, for cabin 1147 (I haven't been in 1147 although other SV cabins on X ships): Just some occasional vibration going in and out of ports or greater changes in acceleration, some noise from Sunset Bar as you noted, some noise from doors leading to outside stairs slamming, and possibly a little lack of privacy from people looking down from the Sunset Bar. We have the same although I don't consider it much of a concern (people should have better things to do than watch me I would hope) especially given the fabulous aft view. Door slamming only occurred a couple times in the mornings that I noticed.

Lois and Andy, I told Kristiana and will tell the other Cova Cafe servers hi from you. Andy, I will be happy to order/send you an Iced Chocolate and biscotti, but your "iced" drink won't be "iced" by the time it gets to you. Also your biscotti has to make it past Jack and me.

We experienced amount of aft vibration this morning from 7:30am to 7:50am as we pulled into St Maarten. More than yesterday but not by much. It was enough to make some light rattling noise in the cabin from items on the bookcase shelves. Let me stress light vibration, nothing annoying. We are located just before the actual Sunset verandas or suites with our being in the last cabin before the Sunset verandas/suites on deck 9.

Regarding shrimp, to those of us on the Feb. 15th cruise, it was kind of a humorous observation. So don't take us too seriously on our little private joke.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Shrimp

We are in the aft-most deck 9 Concierge Class cabin. So far no vibration but the cruise is young and we have spent 2 days at sea. I will report back on this later.

Cova Cafe continues to be wonderful and our favorite hangout. Bar servers here are the best!

Kathy

What more could we ask for....21 days to go (not counting today which is almost over). Ah, I cannot wait.

Any comments on the pillow menu? Do they have anything with down? Are there body pillows available. I am trying to do this all in carry on luggage, so trying to keep the bags filled with only the absolute necessities. Even got the dinner package so we don't have to pack formal clothes.

What more could we ask for....21 days to go (not counting today which is almost over). Ah, I cannot wait.

Any comments on the pillow menu? Do they have anything with down? Are there body pillows available. I am trying to do this all in carry on luggage, so trying to keep the bags filled with only the absolute necessities. Even got the dinner package so we don't have to pack formal clothes.

Hi Cruise Raider:

The regular pillows were of the shredded foam variety (or felt like it). They are fine, but I like what I called "down" pillows, and the room attendant called "feather" pillows. Given the expense of down, they probably were feather pillows, but I didn't feel any of the "tiny quills" that I usually feel with feathers, and nothing poked through the pillow ticking, as feathers always seem to do. The down-type pillows were very comfortable, at any rate. We didn't ask for any other pillows, so I don't know if they have the full pillow menu (isotoner, etc.)

Yes, Century did have body pillows. On other Celebrity ships, the body pillows felt as if they were stuffed with the down-type filling. On this ship, the filling felt more like the standard pillow filling, but it was adequately stuffed and well-appreciated by me. I have recurring back problems and the body pillows are a lifesaver for me.

On the Feb. 15th cruise, I accidently waited until the day after embarkation to ask for the "egg-crate" foam mattress topper that I usually request the moment I get on the ship. (We had changed cabins after the 3-day cruise.) Our cabin steward said that there was a scarcity of egg-crates, and it took until the third day for him to locate one for me. At that, he was only able to locate one, which he put cross-wise across the bed, which worked, more-or-less. He also put another of the padded toppers on the bed, under the egg-crate, but this really doesn't do the same job as the egg-crates. Dee was an excellent cabin steward, and I do think that if he had been able to locate two egg crates, we would have received them.

With my back issues, the down-type pillows, body pillow and the egg-crates are deal-breakers for me. I am very grateful that Celebrity provides them, and I sincerely hope that no one decides that these are unnecessary luxury items which can be cut.

I don't believe a pillow menu exists. At least I've never seen one. Just ask your stateroom attendant for what you require. Yes, they do have down pillows. And body pillows.

I talked to our stateroom attendant about the pillows after returning from walking around San Juan. He explained we have a feather pillow and a hypo-allergenic pillow on the bed along with decorative ones with the pillow shams and the striped ones we keep on the couch. We told him tonight we would like to try the isotoners ones. As I typed this post, the stateroom attendant came in with the isotonic pillows which are contoured similar to one I have at home.

The following are descriptions of the pillows from the menu. The menu is on a page of a Concierge Class booklet left in those cabins.

Pillow Menu

The pillows on your bed are made of the finest European white goose down with 100% cotton damask cover for enhanced softness and comfort. We welcome you to also try any of these additional choices.

Body Pillow - The feather and down body pillow provides full body comfort and is ideal for guest with body aches

Hypo Allergenic Pillow - Much like natural down feather, this pillow provides ultimate comfort and support for all sleeping positions

Swedish Isotonic Pillow - Isotonic reacts to your body temperature and physique to provide true, customized relaxation

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Apply bold and underline

Kathy -- one question I keep forgetting to ask you is how turnaround day went on this leg? I know that Guest Relations got a lot of feed-back on the last one (15th) from Host Andy, us, and many others. Question is -- were they really listening to our suggestions?

Enjoy that pillow menu, and the rest of your cruise. Can hardly wait to hear all about it, when you return!

Kathy, I'm so jealous that y'all are still on the ship and enjoying lovely weather! It's nasty in Minnesota. An no relief in sight. Must book a much longer getaway next winter. I'm trying to stay warm by visualizing all of you in Cova drinking coffees and interacting with the wonderful Alexandra and Kristine!

I actually looked through the blue book in my cabin, because I wanted to look at the room service menu people on the board has been griping about. No sign of a pillow menu. I've occupied a lot of CC cabins in my day, and never seen one, although I don't usually peruse all the stuff left in the stateroom either. Interesting that you've actually seen one.

Kathy, I'm so jealous that y'all are still on the ship and enjoying lovely weather! It's nasty in Minnesota. An no relief in sight. Must book a much longer getaway next winter. I'm trying to stay warm by visualizing all of you in Cova drinking coffees and interacting with the wonderful Alexandra and Kristine!

Well...there are the final Century cruises in March 2015.:D

I know you have done this before, so could you tell me how to order an egg crate before the cruise starts?

It is lovely here, you need to come back.

Barb

I actually looked through the blue book in my cabin, because I wanted to look at the room service menu people on the board has been griping about. No sign of a pillow menu. I've occupied a lot of CC cabins in my day, and never seen one, although I don't usually peruse all the stuff left in the stateroom either. Interesting that you've actually seen one.

In our CC cabin, it was a small advertisement booklet set up next to the bed tabletop (the pseudo nightstand). I did find that some things were missing that should have been in the cabin but figured it was due to the dry dock before the cruise. We finally discovered we should have had an ice bucket in our room when we called room service for some ice and the attendant came to our room and asked for the bucket, he looked shocked when I said, bucket, what bucket, we don't have one. Of course, he returned shortly with both a bucket and the ice which stayed in our room for the rest of the cruise and he regularly filled with ice without asking.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

Well...there are the final Century cruises in March 2015.:D

I know you have done this before, so could you tell me how to order an egg crate before the cruise starts?

It is lovely here, you need to come back.

Barb

Boy do I ever need to come back!!! The weather her is beyond belief. No relief in sight.

I thought the beds on the Century were fine and did not request an egg crate. I had both an inside (on the 3-night) and a CC cabin.

I've never ordered them in advance, just asked for them on first meeting the cabin attendant.

I had some of the best service I've ever had and also some of the worst. The new folks don't seem to be receiving any training. Carolyn's butler served our dinner all at once! Including the sorbet. That was an experience. He seemed to be a delightful guy, just hadn't been trained in how to do his job. Our assistant waiter wanted me to re-use a fork. Told him he would have to bring me a new one. He was clearly clueless.

In our CC cabin, it was a small advertisement booklet set up next to the bed tabletop (the pseudo nightstand). I did find that some things were missing that should have been in the cabin but figured it was due to the dry dock before the cruise. We finally discovered we should have had an ice bucket in our room when we called room service for some ice and the attendant came to our room and asked for the bucket, he looked shocked when I said, bucket, what bucket, we don't have one. Of course, he returned shortly with both a bucket and the ice which stayed in our room for the rest of the cruise and he regularly filled with ice without asking.

I've read on the boards that you now need to request an ice bucket. Seems a lot of folks weren't using their ice. So I asked for one on both my Reflection & Century cruises and then it was no problem to keep it filled. I do miss the pitchers of water, though. I did ask for one on the Infinity last spring, but got a great big pitcher which took up a lot of room, instead of the nice tall, thin ones they used to have.

I never look at any of the advertising hoo haa they put in the cabins, so I guess that's why I've never seen the pillow menu.

Love your description of the pseudo nightstand! What were they thinking?????

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143