Question about Boston embarkation...

hallpau

We always fly to a port the day before we are scheduled to sail but I need some advice about the Boston port. Since the hotels near the port are so expensive ($200+) and the flights cost about 30% more ($200+) if we fly on Friday instead of Saturday....I'm thinking about flying into Boston the morning of our embarkation.

My question is, with a scheduled arrival time at BOS of 12:47 PM and the ship's departure time is 4 PM....is this doable? I know the airport is very close to the port and we would have a Plan B of renting a car and driving to Bar Harbor (the next port of call) if that became necessary.

Is it worth a $400+ savings to take this chance?

We always fly to a port the day before we are scheduled to sail but I need some advice about the Boston port. Since the hotels near the port are so expensive ($200+) and the flights cost about 30% more ($200+) if we fly on Friday instead of Saturday....I'm thinking about flying into Boston the morning of our embarkation.

My question is, with a scheduled arrival time at BOS of 12:47 PM and the ship's departure time is 4 PM....is this doable? I know the airport is very close to the port and we would have a Plan B of renting a car and driving to Bar Harbor (the next port of call) if that became necessary.

In my opinion, the angst you would endure to save $400 would not be justified. There are way too many things that could (and do) go wrong.

As a local girl I would urge you not to put yourself through it. The traffic is fairly predictable...always a hassle. Come the day before and enjoy the city for the evening. It will be worth it for a lovely beginning to your vacation. Driving to Bar Harbor from Boston is no joke. Factor in the cost of a one way rental car and a probable hotel stay anyway if things go wrong and it could be a very expensive gamble. Good luck!

Personally, I would not risk it. Your Plan B of renting a car and driving to Bar Harbor really isn't very good, either.

Have you considered flying to an alternate airport, staying there at much less cost, and renting/hiring a car to take you the rest of the way in the morning?

Both Providence and Manchester are reasonably nearby (PVD is less than an hour away). I know the hotels in Warwick (where the Providence airport is) are a lot less $$$ than the Boston hotels.

What is your itinerary. If it's a round trip Boston another problem would be that catching the ship in Bar Harbor would put you in violation of the PVSA.

I like the idea of flying to Providence.

Roy

I was just about to mention that.

EDIT: I just looked up the cruise. There's a Boston-Montreal cruise that stops at Bar Harbor first. That would be do-able without violating the PVSA. However, at Bar Harbor it's a tender port. Checkin and luggage may be a problem there. Unless they have checkin ability there?

Edited by Shmoo here

To answer the original question. We flew to Boston the day of our recent Panama Canal cruise. However, we arrived at 6:00 am for a 5:00 pm cruise departure, giving us 11 hours to make the connection. I don't think I'd be comfortable with the connection time you've got planned.

Yes, it's not that far from the airport to the port, and there's a bus/subway connection that goes there, but many things can happen - flight delayed/cancelled, lost luggage from the airlines, travel time between airport to port could be much longer than anticipated.

There is no way we would book that flight.

We sail Maasdam/Veendam every summer from Boston and while the airport and port are 'usually' only 10 minutes by taxi through the Ted Williams Tunnel there are so many ways and reasons you could be delayed. Way too risky, IMO

Edited by sail7seas

I would not take that chance. If Mr. Murphy makes an appearance, you'll be up a creek without a paddle. How 'bout flying into BOS the day before but staying at a less expensive hotel away from the port? You might have a longer drive but at least you can get a head start on embarkation day

Hi

renting a car and driving to bar harbor will cost a lot more that driving to bar harbor and a LOT MORE stress. Traffif and weather can bring traffic to a stop. Stay at the hotel How much are you paying for cruise? to risk it on a hotel stay is crazy. When is your cruise? It depends on the price of hotel. Also hotels mabe full. We have a lot of colleges here and they have graduations. In April we have the Boston Marthon. Lots of water events and lots of conventions and other events. Hope you have a great cruise. Enjoy Boston its really a wonderful city to visit. Don't rent a car to get around. get a pass on hop on hop off trolly or just walk.

I knew it would be taking a big chance flying in the day of the cruise.....the cruise is a 14 day RT Canada/NE leaving in mid May....weather shouldn't be an issue, so I thought MAYBE, but everyone has convinced me that it's not a wise decision.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, what's another $400+.....I'm just so frugel. Thanks for the suggestion about flying into Providence or Manchester, I hadn't thought about that but I will definitely investigate.

CC is a great message board and people like you are what makes it so great.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I knew it would be taking a big chance flying in the day of the cruise.....the cruise is a 14 day RT Canada/NE leaving in mid May....weather shouldn't be an issue, so I thought MAYBE, but everyone has convinced me that it's not a wise decision.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, what's another $400+.....I'm just so frugel. Thanks for the suggestion about flying into Providence or Manchester, I hadn't thought about that but I will definitely investigate.

CC is a great message board and people like you are what makes it so great.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I'll just clarify, with the roundtrip, you wouldn't be able to board in Bar Harbor if you miss Boston. That would violate the PVSA.

As everyone has said "don't do it".

I am cruising on Maasdam from Boston in June and will arrive the night before. I am booked at the airport Hampton Inn which is reasonable for Boston and they have a shuttle to the cruise terminal for $10.

I would never fly in the day of departure, far to risky. :eek:

Just wondered if you have checked with HAL or your travel agent to see if they have a package of: airport to hotel shuttle, baggage handling, pre-hotel, shuttle to the cruise pier, etc.? We did this last fall in Boston - (different cruise line), but it seems like most of them have this option. I'd be a nervous wreck if I was arriving the same day & didn't have any control of anything.

I would not take that chance. If Mr. Murphy makes an appearance, you'll be up a creek without a paddle. How 'bout flying into BOS the day before but staying at a less expensive hotel away from the port? You might have a longer drive but at least you can get a head start on embarkation day

As a local, I'm here to tell you that said Mr Murphy loves to muck around with our traffic and public transit. On that tight a schedule, even a taxi could be a risk. And Boston to Bar Harbor is a very long drive. There are many hotels in the area with fairly reasonable rates. If you're a AAA member, you can get a Boston book from them and check out the area hotels. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Devil's Advocate Here. We have tried it both ways. We are close enough, (Philadelphia) so we only have a short one hour twenty minute flight. Since we don't have to change any planes, and there are several flights scheduled, it works out fine. But..... when we do this, we drive to PHL the day before and stay at a hotel that includes two week parking.

The flip side is that Boston is a great place to spend an extra day or two. I for one don't consider a trip to Boston complete without a dinner at the Union Street Oyster House. We are booked on the Veendam May 31 fourteen day round trip. Like you, we will need to get our ducks lined up pretty soon.

Hmmm. Keep in mind that most decent travel insurance policies include a clause that requires X number of hours between a scheduled airline arrival and cruise departure. 3 hours 13 minutes would not generally qualify. But lets look at this rationally. I believe that HAL requires everyone too check-in at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure which means you would normally need to check in at the Black Falcon cruise port by 2:30. And for arguments sake let us assume your flight arrives only 30 min late (a miracle these days). So if you have some checked luggage you would probably not even be out of the airport until 2 pm. Depending on traffic, and a bit of luck, you might make it...and then again you might not.

So here is a question for the OP. How much will you lose if you miss your cruise? Now compare that to the cost of a hotel. It is usually possible to get a decent Boston hotel, by bidding on Priceline.com, for no more then $100 a night. And Boston is a wonderful city for a leisure day or a good restaurant.

Hank

P.S. For those who have faith in the USA airlines, we heard today that just since Dec 1...the US airlines have cancelled over 75,000 flights!

Edited by Hlitner

<snip snip> P.S. For those who have faith in the USA airlines, we heard today that just since Dec 1...the US airlines have cancelled over 75,000 flights!

Exactly why I hope the OP sticks with her new decision to fly in on Friday. And it's not only the cancelled flights. From personal family experience I can tell you there aren't a lot of flights being close to "on time" for quite awhile now - and nothing I'm talking about was winter weather related. You've made a good decision to fly Friday OP. It is money well spent and a nice beginning to a two week cruise!

Edited by Linda&Vern