Dave’s Live from Ryndam Southern Caribbean Feb 16 – March 2, 2014

RetiredMustang

Have a great time in Grand Cayman manana, Dave

Thanks, John! We've booked the Reef and Rays excursion again -- first a chance to snorkel the reef with the bunches of fish and fan corals, and then we move a few hundred yards to the sand bar and play with the sting rays. It's always fun!

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Looks as though you have had great weather every day.

Yes, we have been very lucky, with mostly sun and warm but not too hot temperatures. The occasional shower has been quick, and generally hold off until we are under cover, which makes it fun to watch instead of dashing through.

This morning, we picked up a paper for the first time and checked out the temps in the Northeast ... and then we felt great! Looks like another cold spell has settled in. We hope it lifts before we have to go back.

Dave

Feb. 27, at sea (cont.)

This has been a relaxing day, but we are thinking of taking in a couple of events this afternoon. At least the beer tasting at 3 has my interest. Before then, I'll post some photos from around the ship.

Here are a couple from the Explorations café/library/internet area:

ExplorationsCafe_zps767b168d.jpg

ExplorationsCafe2_zpsd3ec04f7.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Thanks for the encouragement. Is there anything you are missing? Only a couple more days to get the photos or info if so. :D

Dave

Nope. We're all packed and ready to board the Noordam tomorrow. We're at the airport to pick up our table mates. (We know who they are. It's not just some random pick up thing. :D)

Feb. 27, at sea (cont.)

Here are a couple of photos of the Ocean Bar:

OceanBar_zps840402d8.jpg

OceanBar2_zps936653b4.jpg

More later,

Dave

Thanks again Dave for the great info on MS Ryndam...we are boarding her for 27 days April 6th. She does seem to be very much like the Statendam which we are very familiar with. I noticed on one of your posts that HAL is now charging for decent after dinner coffee :(

Hilary

Feb. 27, at sea

The beer tasting did not draw enough participants to do the full program, but they gave the five of us a small glass of Bass ale each anyway, and discussed beer – ales and lagers, top-fermenting and bottom-fermenting, etc. I bought a glass of Boddington’s ale and shared it round, and someone else bought a Warsteiner lager to do the same. So, we did taste some beer after all. I had told DW I wanted to go, because after all these years of drinking beer around the world, maybe I should finally taste some.

In any case, we stayed in the Mix and shared some wine before dinner. Here are the dinner menus:

27Febdinnermenu1_zpsc1cb21cf.jpg

27Febdinnermenu2_zps69ddb9eb.jpg

I had the bouillabaisse, which was very good. There is no right or wrong way to make the fish and saffron soup, and it is different each time I try. HAL’s version was a keeper:

bouillabaisse_zps4e22b218.jpg

And then, for entrée, I passed on the third iteration this cruise of prime rib (sorry, Carol), and had the pork buco with risotto. This was the classic osso buco technique, but with pork shanks instead of veal. It was a substantial but tasty dish:

porkbucco_zps590206cb.jpg

Here is the dessert menu:

27Febdessertmenu_zps2de636c0.jpg

Both DW and I both had the avalanche cake, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream:

chocolateavalanchecake_zps2ddbf4fb.jpg

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Well, I thought Roast Beef but I would've taken the buso so I think I will take a half point on this one. As Bob Barker would say on Truth or Consequences, "enjoy using your points, Carol!" So many points and nothing to do with them.

Actually getting tired of this imaginary dining! Have to return to the yogurt diet in anticipation of our Aug 26 cruise. Getting ready for herring!!:)

Dave,

Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. As we'll be boarding the Ryndam on April 6 for 27 days, your posts have been particularly enjoyable. Although we've been on most of the HAL ships, this will be our first on Ryndam, but she looks quite familiar! :)

So, we know we are being brave boarding right when she comes out of drydock as we are well aware of the issues that sometimes plague the cruise following a drydock. We're just wondering if you've heard anything from any member of the staff as to what is going to be done during this upcoming one.

Thanks in advance for any information you may have picked up from staff. And enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Feb. 28, Georgetown, Grand Cayman (cont.)

We were anchored and cleared about on time. We went to the Wajang Theater to get stickered and wait for a tender. Shortly, it was our turn and we tendered ashore, where we were met by tour organizers. We walked a short way from the landing to the back side of the shopping center to board a bus.

The bus took us across the neck of the island to a pier on a canal that fed into the northern bay. We sailed about 40 minutes or so to the sandbar of Stingray City. This is always fun, watching, touching and stroking the creatures. The boat crew would coax one to the surface now and then and let people touch and hold them (with photos, available for purchase).

It was a glorious sunny day with blue skies and crystal-clear blue water, and we spent a lot of time with the rays:

stingraycity1_zps10185b44.jpg

stingray_zps2d06af8e.jpg

stingraycity3_zps7982bab0.jpg

stingraycity2_zps31dc46a9.jpg

We then re-boarded the boat and sailed a couple of hundred yards to a great snorkeling spot along the reef. I saw coral, sponges, sea fans, and lots of fish, including a huge school of lavender-colored parrotfish. Then it was a sail back, bus and tender back to the ship.

More later,

Dave

We sat on our balcony and watched the tenders, snorkel boats, Atlantic submarine, etc. until sailaway, which was just before 3. Here are a shot of part of Georgetown harbor, and a shot of the famous 7-mile beach as seen from the ship:

Georgetownwaterfront_zpsce642913.jpg

7-mileBeach_zps673cbd6e.jpg

More later,

Dave

Tonight was the last formal night. Here are the dinner menus:

28Febdinnermenu1_zpsb987d552.jpg

28Febdinnermenu2_zps122014bb.jpg

I went traditional tonight, starting with the shrimp cocktail:

shrimpcocktail_zps075c2864.jpg

And choosing the steak and lobster for the entrée, asking for a baked potato instead of the rice (photo was taken after the lobster tail had been removed from the shell):

steakandlobster_zpsc2dd6287.jpg

Here is the dessert menu:

28Febdessertmenu_zps9cf09209.jpg

I chose the flourless chocolate cake:

flourlesschocolatecake_zps19ce72bc.jpg

More later,

Dave

Looks like everyone is having a great time Dave!

Been following along and enjoying your live from (as I always do).

Thanks so much for taking the time and the effort. It's a brilliant live thread :D