Dave’s Live from Ryndam Southern Caribbean Feb 16 – March 2, 2014

RetiredMustang

Feb. 25, Willemstad, Curacao (cont.)

The tour continued over the Queen Juliana Bridge, from where I took a photo of Ryndam in the harbor:

RyndamfromQueenEmmabridge_zpseffbc151.jpg

A short drive later was the Curacao factory. It was a small place, and the packing process was equally small-scale. First, the automatic filler filled 8 small bottles at a time (they were bottling the chocolate variety while we were there):

Bottling_zps94c2adc4.jpg

Then, workers topped off the bottles and put on caps, which were crimped and sealed:

Toppingoff_zps736db2e2.jpg

The bottles then went a little further down the assembly line to be boxed:

Packing_zps96179c7a.jpg

We passed next to another building to have samples of the liqueur:

Sampling_zps71f0f974.jpg

And, coincidentally, we had an opportunity to buy the finished products:

Selling_zps0b5538f8.jpg

This was a very nice excursion, with some history, natural history, and booze. Well worth the price in our opinion.

More later,

Dave

I realize that scale may be a little hard to tell with a photo (aside from the fact that the plate size tells you it is not a two-pound steak, or a two-ounce one either). The dish actually was a steak of about 4-6 ounces, and two grilled prawns, about the size of the shrimp they serve in the shrimp cocktail -- large as shrimp go, but not huge. There was no lobster.

Dave

If I recall correctly on the Amsterdam in December, one night there was lobster (alone by itself) , one night there was surf and turf with the surf being 2 medium shrimp, and one night there was lobster thermidor.

What nerve! I was wrong as I thought it was about time for DUCK!!

They let you bring the curaco back on the ship??

That surf and turf would've been fine for me but they needed a little more filler on the plate to accent it!! I now they tried with the carrots. Gotta watch that Rudi! One cruise carrots were on every entrée. Must of had a big sale!

They let you bring the curaco back on the ship??

I just wrote that we had the opportunity to buy ... not that we did. :D We didn't buy any, but a few of our fellow passengers did. That reminds me to tell you about the situation at the gangplank coming aboard. They have what they call the alcohol check station. People who come aboard with alcohol are sent over to that table. We have not hung around to watch or done it ourselves, so I can't speak from personal experience, but we presume that is where the bottle of, say, blue curacao is taken and stowed to be returned on the last night to carry ashore. We also presume that is where you get your wine either stowed for last day, or stickered and you pay the $18 corkage fee.

Dave

The dish actually was a steak of about 4-6 ounces, and two grilled prawns, about the size of the shrimp they serve in the shrimp cocktail -- large as shrimp go, but not huge. There was no lobster.

Still, it does look like enough food for an entrée.

I just wrote that we had the opportunity to buy ... not that we did. :D We didn't buy any, but a few of our fellow passengers did. That reminds me to tell you about the situation at the gangplank coming aboard. They have what they call the alcohol check station. People who come aboard with alcohol are sent over to that table. We have not hung around to watch or done it ourselves, so I can't speak from personal experience, but we presume that is where the bottle of, say, blue curacao is taken and stowed to be returned on the last night to carry ashore. We also presume that is where you get your wine either stowed for last day, or stickered and you pay the $18 corkage fee.

Dave

Bingo! They were doing a lot of business on our recent Noordam cruise...people who bought wine in port, unaware of the policy changes, and getting hit with the $18 corkage fee....lots of stored bottles of wines. And probably lots of unhappy cruisers....

We spent a couple of hours on our balcony in the afternoon, watching the crew and shore personnel offload trash, pump water and fuel, etc. (like the old joke: work fascinates us, we could watch all day).

We also watched activity ashore and just enjoyed the view of the megapier, and the sweep along the coast to the Rif Fort and the city beyond:

Megapiercruiseport_zps983ebaba.jpg

WillemstadfromRyndam_zpsf00e75d3.jpg

More later,

Dave

Here are the dinner menus:

25Febdinnermenu1_zps06b37a7a.jpg

25Febdinnermenu2_zpse89775d0.jpg

I had one of my favorite HAL dishes, four mushroom soup:

fourmushroomsoup_zpse552b427.jpg

Followed by another favorite, calf’s liver with bacon, onions and apples:

calfsliver_zps63a8957e.jpg

Here is the dessert menu:

DSCF3305_zps9079fd12.jpg

I had the black forest cake; although the cake was ladyfingers instead of the traditional rich dark chocolate cake, it was still tasty:

blackforestcake_zpsfebe66de.jpg

More later,

Dave

Still, it does look like enough food for an entrée.

Ruth,

Yes, it was. I have found the entrees to be plenty of food. In fact, we started going with only one starter instead of two years ago because it was enough (especially if we wanted to have appetite for something chocolate for dessert. :D)

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

If you don't mind me asking: do your bring a portable scanner with you?

Actually, no, I don't bring a scanner. Those posts with printed material are all photos. I know you did photos on your recent Ryndam review (which I enjoyed very much, thanks!), but I guess they may have been from an I-phone, and I don't know how to edit photos from a phone. I use a small digital camera, and I take the photos at medium-resolution, crop them in Paint, and then adjust brightness and contrast in Microsoft Office. I then upload them to photobucket.

After my last cruise, a TA from Amsterdam where I had problems with the amount of times my photos on the free plan could be viewed in a month, I bought the first level above free to be able to have pretty much unlimited band width for folks to view. I had seen the price and thought it was per month; it was only recently I read it more closely and found out it was a small amount per year, which made it a reasonable deal.

After I upload them to photobucket, I open CC in another window, and copy and paste the photos from photobucket to my CC post. Works for me!

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Feb. 26, Oranjestad, Aruba (cont.)

We had taken this excursion a couple of times before, and enjoyed it, so we signed up again this trip. We went ashore at about 8:40 and filled out forms (“you acknowledge that stuff happens on a snorkel trip, and no matter what, you can’t sue us, our affiliates, subsidiaries, cousins or heirs, or the guy who cleans the heads”) and waited for a bit. We then walked across the pier and out a side gate and boarded a catamaran. We motored out of the harbor and the crew hoisted sail and set off at a fair clip along the coast north of Oranjestad.

We sailed about 45 minutes and tethered at a spot near the northern tip of the island:

Arubasnorkelingspot1_zpsce43d230.jpg

Arubasnorkelingspot2_zps9f7b97f0.jpg

There were lots of people and boats about, but we had a fabulous 30 minutes or snorkeling in 6-10 feet of water. I saw lots of fish, many different kinds of sponges and coral, including a robins-egg-blue one I had not seen before. I also saw a sea snake. DW said she saw a flounder moving from spot to spot and changing colors each time. If you are a snorkeler, this is a prime spot. This is probably not a tour for a beginning snorkeler, as we entered the water and re-boarded the boat in deep water. If you are not comfortable diving or flopping into water you can’t stand up in, consider something else. If you are an experienced snorkeler, this is one of the better ones we have experienced in the Caribbean.

After snorkeling the first site for about 30 minutes, we then re-boarded the boat and went a few hundred yards to the wreck of a German merchant boat whose captain scuttled her in 1940 during WWII to avoid being captured by the Dutch. He and his crew were interned on Bonaire for the duration of the war, according to our guide. But, the winds were high, and the waters murky, so we could not see much of the wreck. But, the rum punch on the way back to the ship helped. What a wonderful, warm but not hot, sunny day in Aruba! Here are a couple of shots of Ryndam in Aruba, taken from the catamaran, and one of the city taken from our balcony:

RyndaminAruba1_zps194cefc7.jpg

RyndaminAruba2_zps955b96cf.jpg

Arubawaterfront_zpscd851124.jpg

More later,

Dave

Actually, no, I don't bring a scanner. Those posts with printed material are all photos. I know you did photos on your recent Ryndam review (which I enjoyed very much, thanks!), but I guess they may have been from an I-phone, and I don't know how to edit photos from a phone. I use a small digital camera, and I take the photos at medium-resolution, crop them in Paint, and then adjust brightness and contrast in Microsoft Office. I then upload them to photobucket.

Dave

Thanks for the explanation, I have a lot to learn. My photos were taken with my Nikon DSLR. I edited them in an older version of photo shop and then up loaded to Shutter fly. I guess there is a difference in size of photos between photo bucket and Shutter fly because your pictures on cc are larger. I scanned all the printed material when I got home and saved them with high resolution but they were still illegable.

I will go over your steps and see if I can make it work for me and the electronics I am bringing to Australia in 3 weeks.

Thanks again.

Edited by 1of4

Feb. 26, Oranjestad, Aruba (cont.)

Here are the dinner menus:

26Febdinnermenu1_zpsb561428c.jpg

26Febdinnermenu2_zps10b76a38.jpg

For starter, I had the pistou soup:

pistousoup_zps7c1d859a.jpg

For the main dish, I had the strip loin steak:

striploinsteak_zps5fa3012e.jpg

We decided not to have dessert, but here is the menu:

26Febdessertmenu_zpsdbe6d59f.jpg

After dinner, we attended the show, a comedian from Seattle, Rod Long. Very funny!

More later,

Dave