Third Oasis Class: What would you change?

I know Quantum is coming first, but since there is actually some familiarity with Oasis and Allure, I'm curious. What changes would you make to the third Oasis Class ship if you had your way? Be it practical or unrealistic and fantasy, I'd love to hear what people think.

Mine to start:

Practical: Make the Solarium a bit more open air. I'm sure it's a challenge being at the front of the ship with wind considerations, but as beautiful as it is, it just seems a bit closed up to me.

Practical: Make the pool in the Solarium a bit bigger, and perhaps not quite so warm. It's kind of like a mild hot tub!

Total Fantasy: Make the Rising Tide Bar go from the Promenade all the way up to the pool deck!

On our recent Oasis cruise capt. Trym Selvåg told us that the third Oasis ship will be wider than Oasis and Allure, so the staterooms can be made bigger.

It will be fun to see if there's any truth to it. I want to believe a captains word is something you can trust.

On our recent Oasis cruise capt. Trym Selvåg told us that the third Oasis ship will be wider than Oasis and Allure, so the staterooms can be made bigger.

It will be fun to see if there's any truth to it. I want to believe a captains word is something you can trust.

Given the projected slightly higher weight than Oasis and Allure but same number of staterooms, you never know, this may be true! I have seen literature which confirms it will be just over 2m longer than Allure.

Edited by jo24

Given the projected slightly higher weight than Oasis and Allure but same number of staterooms, you never know, this may be true! I have seen literature which confirms it will be just over 2m longer than Allure.

Well, what is projected to be higher? The displacement or gross tonnage? If it's a matter of displacement, that could be a matter of more dense or thicker steel. If it's a higher gross tonnage, then the ship could be built wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, what is projected to be higher? The displacement or gross tonnage? If it's a matter of displacement, that could be a matter of more dense or thicker steel. If it's a higher gross tonnage, then the ship could be built wider.

I made the point that it would be longer, there was no mention of it being wider in what I read but I said it was possible. I have quoted below exactly what I read.

'The ship will be larger than the preceding Oasis-class ships at an estimated 227,700 GT and 362.15 m in length, with a capacity of 6,360 passengers, representing an increase of 2,718 GT, 2.15 m, and 42 passengers respectively.'

Being that it is the GT that is higher, this relates to what I said about length and possibly also width but given the other statistics that have been mentioned as being more, I was surprised if width was more that it was not mentioned... still a possibility though :)

Edited by jo24

Make the D balcony staterooms like they are on Voyager/Freedom/Radiance.

Totally agree. I do not like the way they are configured at all - the cabin felt so much smaller with less storage space.:(

I would also like to see something similar to the Café Promenade down on the boardwalk. What a waste of space that Seafood Shack is - never saw anyone in there the entire week.:mad:

Totally agree. I do not like the way they are configured at all - the cabin felt so much smaller with less storage space.:(

I would also like to see something similar to the Café Promenade down on the boardwalk. What a waste of space that Seafood Shack is - never saw anyone in there the entire week.:mad:

I agree I like the idea of the risint tide bar to go to the pool deck and the Seafood Shack is crap. I seen more acton at Ritas on the Allure. Also would like to see a hotdog stand on the Oasis like they have on the Allure.. and make the pools a tad bit bigger. alot of people in them

I made the point that it would be longer, there was no mention of it being wider in what I read but I said it was possible. I have quoted below exactly what I read.

'The ship will be larger than the preceding Oasis-class ships at an estimated 227,700 GT and 362.15 m in length, with a capacity of 6,360 passengers, representing an increase of 2,718 GT, 2.15 m, and 42 passengers respectively.'

Being that it is the GT that is higher, this relates to what I said about length and possibly also width but given the other statistics that have been mentioned as being more, I was surprised if width was more that it was not mentioned... still a possibility though :)

Sorry , I had not seen those specs before. Don't know why I assumed wider rather than being longer overall. That 2718 GRT doesn't really translate into much space though on a ship that size. Roughly 28000-30000 additional square feet. That wouldn't make much difference in cabin size overall averaged across all cabins, I wouldn't think. And no, my square footage estimate is probably off a little bit, but I don't know the exact deck height to figure it more accurately.

I'd love a small poolside shack with beers + grilled hotdogs, burgers, pizza. Something like Carnival does (as much as I hate to say it)

I know they have one kinda like this by the zipline area, but I'd like something a little closer to the pools, but not sure they really have space for it. Just an idea.

I'd love a small poolside shack with beers + grilled hotdogs, burgers, pizza. Something like Carnival does (as much as I hate to say it)

I know they have one kinda like this by the zipline area, but I'd like something a little closer to the pools, but not sure they really have space for it. Just an idea.

Yes this would be fantastic on all their ships.

Haven't been on oasis class yet so I can't say what I'd change on the inside, but I would love to see the 3rd one go to DIFFERENT PORTS!! Some of the islands I would like to see are Aruba, St. Kitts, San Juan, Curacao... I know the ships are huge and probably can't dock there, but I don't mind taking a tender over.

I'd like to see a drawer on the night stands.

That's one of the reasons I like the Voyager/Freedom/Radiance "D" staterooms better. Other reasons I dislike the "D" staterooms on Oasis/Allure:

Sliding closet doors, so only part of the closet can be opened at a time.

Safe in closet, so yet another reason to slide open the door and block the other side.

No desk drawer for the pens and paper. I realize that Royal has since fixed this issue by removing the pens and paper.

Storage drawers on only one side if the desk.

Half the staterooms have the bed near the closet, so it's even more inconvenient to use the closet.

Haven't been on oasis class yet so I can't say what I'd change on the inside, but I would love to see the 3rd one go to DIFFERENT PORTS!! Some of the islands I would like to see are Aruba, St. Kitts, San Juan, Curacao... I know the ships are huge and probably can't dock there, but I don't mind taking a tender over.

The size of the Oasis class is the exact reason the two current ships run the same beaten path. Other ports would have to spend a considerable amount of money to expand and dredge to accommodate 2 ships, while every other existing ship can already berth there. Hard to say what the ROI time would be for such an expenditure. I haven't sailed on Oasis class ships, but in my opinion, I think they're simply too large, but again, that's just my opinion.

I think most other lines have something like that... I've never understood why Royal designed their ships without it. I've sailed extensively on Carnival and it's so convenient having that option while laying outside on sea days. Even Celebrity has it, nice design on the Solstice Class ships having it one short deck up from the pool (and thus out of the way while still being close by).

That's one of the reasons I like the Voyager/Freedom/Radiance "D" staterooms better. Other reasons I dislike the "D" staterooms on Oasis/Allure:

Safe in closet, so yet another reason to slide open the door and block the other side.

No desk drawer for the pens and paper. I realize that Royal has since fixed this issue by removing the pens and paper.

Half the staterooms have the bed near the closet, so it's even more inconvenient to use the closet.

We have the same complaints!:p All of those things bugged me.

Another one for me is that I miss the ledge in front of the mirror on the desk/vanity. It was handy for keeping small stuff off the desk and reduced the clutter. It also houses the plugs on voyager class which are now in that big ball on the desk/vanity top that is really in the way on Oasis (not sure what Allure has).

And lastly on the room....I really wish the shower head could go up and down like on Voyager class. Being able to lower it is great for the kids and short people like me.:p

The size of the Oasis class is the exact reason the two current ships run the same beaten path. Other ports would have to spend a considerable amount of money to expand and dredge to accommodate 2 ships, while every other existing ship can already berth there. Hard to say what the ROI time would be for such an expenditure. I haven't sailed on Oasis class ships, but in my opinion, I think they're simply too large, but again, that's just my opinion.

Can't they just anchor out a little ways away and we can tender over?

Can't they just anchor out a little ways away and we can tender over?

I suppose they could, but there are a few potential issues that I can think of and there may be others that I may not be aware of. One issue is that the ship would have to able to anchor on relatively calm waters. Not all islands have a harbor where this would be possible. Trying to tender 6000 passengers off a ship would be extremely time consuming and possibly chaotic. Another issue would depend on who is responsible for the tendering. If the port has tenders available, that's fine and may be doable. If the ship has to use lifeboats, that would be extremely time consuming and also, to do it in a timely manner, would require too many lifeboats, which I would guess could leave the ship with too few lifeboats by USCG and SOLAS regulations. If the port were to provide tenders, it would likely be at a substantial cost to RCI.

Thanks for the laugh.:D

I know it wouldn't fit, and the wind might be an issue as well, but I think it would be neat to have a ferris wheel instead of a merry-go-round on the next Oasis-class ship.

Also, I think a sports-bar like place (serving caribbean wings, appetizers, & such) with maybe video games available for play during the day could take the place of the on-air club (or just have the club as is set up so it could multipurpose during the day)

Just my 2 cents.

I know it wouldn't fit, and the wind might be an issue as well, but I think it would be neat to have a ferris wheel instead of a merry-go-round on the next Oasis-class ship.

Also, I think a sports-bar like place (serving caribbean wings, appetizers, & such) with maybe video games available for play during the day could take the place of the on-air club (or just have the club as is set up so it could multipurpose during the day)

Just my 2 cents.

Would be kind of cool to build a roller coaster at sea too! That would be really freaky if the tracks were to hang out I've the water!