Third Oasis Class: What would you change?

I'd love a small poolside shack with beers + grilled hotdogs, burgers, pizza. Something like Carnival does (as much as I hate to say it)

I know they have one kinda like this by the zipline area, but I'd like something a little closer to the pools, but not sure they really have space for it. Just an idea.

Which Carnival ships do this? I am ready to start planning for 2015 and can't decide. Going on Freedom in Sept. But am now looking at 2015 to book ahead.

I'd love a small poolside shack with beers + grilled hotdogs, burgers, pizza. Something like Carnival does (as much as I hate to say it)

Then say "something like Princess does". That makes it sound somewhat better. :)

This is actually a good idea that would be good for all RCCL ships.

I was on Allure in '12 and I can't think of anything else about the ship that I'd change, though I would like to see some free food on the boardwalk.

Edited by Worn out mailman

Did you really go on the flow rider for 2 hours every day? What about the other 4000 people on the ship? I haven't been on a ship with a flow rider but I imagine a lot of queuing and not that many turns. Is it not like that?

It is easy to loose time to the flow rider, and it is rather enjoyable. Beside meeting some wonderful people in line you also get to ride as well. I typically spend 1-2 hours a day there over a port day and 2-3 hours on a sea day. Once the line is too long I disappear. I have occasionally rented it with other riders for private use at night.

Slides are great for young kids. Flow riders are great for older kids and kids at heart. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Which Carnival ships do this? I am ready to start planning for 2015 and can't decide. Going on Freedom in Sept. But am now looking at 2015 to book ahead.

All Carnival ships have a poolside grill. It's one thing they definitely get right IMHO. On some ships it's a straight up grill, on others it's now "Guy's Burgers" and a Mexican themed venue, one on each side. The latter is the format they're moving towards as they dry dock their existing fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

It is easy to loose time to the flow rider, and it is rather enjoyable. Beside meeting some wonderful people in line you also get to ride as well. I typically spend 1-2 hours a day there over a port day and 2-3 hours on a sea day. Once the line is too long I disappear. I have occasionally rented it with other riders for private use at night.

Slides are great for young kids. Flow riders are great for older kids and kids at heart. :)

My husband does about he same thing as you. He always goes for the advanced riders hour first thing in the morning and then sticks around until the line is too long. He says he meets great people too. I will have to tell him about your idea of renting it with other riders - that sounds like a good way to get more quality time at it.

Funny thing is we only sailed on our first ship with a FlowRider last November when we did the TA on Indy. And we just got off Oasis recently - so only 2 cruises under our belt with a FlowRider. I do all the cruise planning/research and my hubby recently told me that he will not sail a ship without a FlowRider again (unless it's a unique situation/cruise). I told him he was really limiting our choices and making things difficult. But he says he doesn't care - it must have a FlowRider or he's not going:eek: I don't get the hype but apparently it's fun. And he is definitely a kid at heart.:p

I didn't say anything about having a slide instead of a Flowrider. The Flowrider is a great attraction for those that want it. But I can tell you that when the Allure docks next to a tiny Carnival ship, when kids see the water slides they want it. I don't blame them. It looks fun. Has anyone seen the new Carnival commercial with the kids running for the slides? It looks like a ton of fun! The kids water area on RCI ships is kind of lame.

Yes, keep the flowrider. No issue with that at all. I simply stated to add some slides. It's fun for all, young and old.

I didn't say anything about having a slide instead of a Flowrider. The Flowrider is a great attraction for those that want it. But I can tell you that when the Allure docks next to a tiny Carnival ship, when kids see the water slides they want it. I don't blame them. It looks fun. Has anyone seen the new Carnival commercial with the kids running for the slides? It looks like a ton of fun! The kids water area on RCI ships is kind of lame.

Yes, keep the flowrider. No issue with that at all. I simply stated to add some slides. It's fun for all, young and old.

I agree, the kids love waterslides! And it would be nice to have them in the kids pool area.

I wonder if RCI has not included them on any of their ships because it has already been done by other cruise lines and RCI wants to be the cruise industry innovators not followers? Just a thought that comes to mind......

Then say "something like Princess does". That makes it sound somewhat better. :)

This is actually a good idea that would be good for all RCCL ships.

I was on Allure in '12 and I can't think of anything else about the ship that I'd change, though I would like to see some free food on the boardwalk.

Isn't the Boardwalk Donuts and The Boardwalk Dog House, already on the boardwalk and offer free food, along with Johnny Rockets that offers free breakfast?

I wonder if RCI has not included them on any of their ships because it has already been done by other cruise lines and RCI wants to be the cruise industry innovators not followers? Just a thought that comes to mind......

That's always been my thought. It was started by Carnival back in the '90s and recently copied by NCL. The slides have gotten bigger and more advanced in recent years. Disney took the concept and innovated, rather than copying, with that water ride coaster thing they have on Dream and Fantasy.

I would like to see a Lazy River ride around the entire upper deck of Oasis. Overhanging the water in a clear half pipe. You know the ride where you float on tubes.

Great idea. Guests could order drinks at one place and pick them up as they float by another station. :D

I would do the slides too, if they had them. :D

My husband does about he same thing as you. He always goes for the advanced riders hour first thing in the morning and then sticks around until the line is too long. He says he meets great people too. I will have to tell him about your idea of renting it with other riders - that sounds like a good way to get more quality time at it.

Funny thing is we only sailed on our first ship with a FlowRider last November when we did the TA on Indy. And we just got off Oasis recently - so only 2 cruises under our belt with a FlowRider. I do all the cruise planning/research and my hubby recently told me that he will not sail a ship without a FlowRider again (unless it's a unique situation/cruise). I told him he was really limiting our choices and making things difficult. But he says he doesn't care - it must have a FlowRider or he's not going:eek: I don't get the hype but apparently it's fun. And he is definitely a kid at heart.:p

It wasn't until out fourth time on Oasis did I try the flow rider, and I was hooked. I was sucked in by some great roll call members. Prior to that I knew it was there, but just hung out at the pool. Now my philosophy is like you DH, I need one unless it is a special cruise.;) It is fun.

4 or 5 renters makes for a good number, cost and time wise for the hour. I have done it with three as well. They were quick runs.

I also think RCI should crib a page from NCL and Carnival and get some big waterslides. Kids go ape bananas when you dock next to a competitor; they look down at all the cool waterpark stuff. RCI is a bit lame in this area. Perhaps a corkscrew style slide from the sports deck down to the Aqua Theater would be possible?

Forget about what the kids want -- this grownup would LOVE a waterslide!!!!!!

I know it is all a matter of personal preference, but I cruise RCCL for their flow riders. When we dock next to one of the ships with a waterslide, it reminds me of how much more I appreciate the novelty of a flow rider than a waterslide. I used the waterslide a total of one time on my Carnival cruise, whereas I spend a couple hours each day on the flow rider. How anyone could go on the same little waterslide for a 5 second slide more than a dozen times is beyond me.

This adult would go on a water slide 10 times a day....and I love the flow rider as well; but the flow rider would not take away my fun on a waterslide.

To each his own!