COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

I wouldn't expect too many diehard Princess 'cruisers' to jump on this offer considering it is a Shakedown cruise and so many things still be finalized, but I'd LOVE IT!

It sure will be interesting to hear your impressions of the ship prior to arriving into Venice.

Any word on exactly when she is to arrive? There was a post earlier in another thread saying she was to arrive the same day that the Maiden Voyage departs, but she still has to have her Naming Ceremony.

This is working now, should be able to get booked today.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Timings seem a little vague at the moment. Although I have established that Trieste has an airport, albeit 20 miles away. I have no idea what time boarding will be, or indeed where the ship will be!

Makes organising flights fun. However, I'm looking forward to it. Whatever it will be it will be an adventure and 4 days on a ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The ship should be in Monfalcone on 15th then relocating that evening or next morning to Trieste on 16th. You should either fly to Trieste or to Venice and get the train. Boarding commence at 12.30 to sail at 5pm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Timings seem a little vague at the moment. Although I have established that Trieste has an airport, albeit 20 miles away. I have no idea what time boarding will be, or indeed where the ship will be!

Makes organising flights fun. However, I'm looking forward to it. Whatever it will be it will be an adventure and 4 days on a ship.

The airport for Trieste appears to be up in Monfalone. If that's the case you will drive right past the Fincantieri shipyard and may see the Britannia sitting there.

The pier in Trieste where Regal Princess is to be docked at for her official delivery is downtown.

13896688586_b8de091bb5_b.jpg

13896688716_98fcdd6181_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

This is working now, should be able to get booked today.

The ship should be in Monfalcone on 15th then relocating that evening or next morning to Trieste on 16th. You should either fly to Trieste or to Venice and get the train. Boarding commence at 12.30 to sail at 5pm

This is all very cool and I am so excited for h3rjp and you both. I hope that we get to see some pictures!!!

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Timings seem a little vague at the moment.....

I've only found a flight on Ryanair from Stansted to Trieste! However, decided we won't be going - if it was Southampton yes but it's just too hard to get to and we can't get the time off work with such short notice.

Good luck with your travel plans and enjoy!

Thank you for all the information. Flights are now booked and I'm already checked in for the cruise!

Wonder when the allocations will show up? Probably when they have confirmed what cabins are finished / ready and which aren't I guess.

I saw the same flyer. The agent i booked with (princess' US call centre) was only able to select balcony gty. The deluxe was not coming up.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it, but any word yet on the Godmother?

I'll volunteer to be Godmother. I'll dust off my feather boa and stilettos. No one would even guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marina 710 and Caribe 128 will have the same size balcony.

As for Emerald Deck cabins and the term 'obstruction free', I'll assume you mean a balcony not directly behind a lifeboat or davit? Keep in mind that those cabins close to a lifeboat or davit will still have some degree of obstruction (forward cabins while looking directly aft, aft cabins while directly looking forward will see the lifeboats and davit), while still having a clear view straight out and towards the horizon.

Looking at some of my pictures and comparing it to the deck plans I came up with this:

Emerald Deck forward: starting at E229/E228 and all cabins forward (cabins with stateroom numbers decreasing). Cabins well forward on Emerald deck and close to E110/E109 will have some degree of obstruction looking forward since those first five cabins balconies on each side jut out further.

Emerald Deck aft: starting at E630/E631 and all cabins aft (cabins with stateroom numbers increasing)

Emerald Deck amid ship: E406 thru 438 on port side, E405 thru 439 on starboard side. The views when looking forward or aft from these cabins will have the lifeboats and davits obstructing the view, but will have no obstruction looking out.

You can see some by these pictures that the lifeboats obstruct the view when looking straight forward or straight aft, but the remainder of the view is unobstructed:

Thanks very much!!

OK, I think I got it! An engineering marvel! First: they defeat the consequences of the very huge, high MUTS screen thereby eliminating soot from AFT balconies. Drawing your initials in the soot is hereby eliminated! ;) Second: With the flick of a switch they rapidly convert into missile launchers offering additional protection from threats to national and international waters! This also includes those nasty pirates we've read about!! :rolleyes: This may also eliminate any chance of cruise companies arguing over who gets the best docking areas at US ports of embarkation and debarkation, as well as those pesky spots in St. Thomas!! :D Can't wait to see how many people actually "bite" on this one! :eek:

I hope you're correct about those missile launchers! They could use them against any lawyers that try to seize the ship or delay her delivery for my inaugural cruise!!!

Thank you for putting this together for us. So much great information. I'm really looking forward to doing the TA on her. :)

We will be on the same voyage home to FLL but are getting on in Venice. Looks like you will be getting on earlier since our embarkation is the 17th.

Not even a peep. :(

Hmmm interesting. This is why I followed the Royal knowing that Princess Kate was the godmother I knew they would do that one up and have lots of announcements and chatter....figured Regal would sorta be the step-sister and be left out of the hoopla!

We will be on the same voyage home to FLL but are getting on in Venice. Looks like you will be getting on earlier since our embarkation is the 17th.

I'm so sorry! I didn't realize that I had my departure date from Tampa listed. I will be on the same cruise as you embarking 10/17. I'm spending 3 nights in VCE.:)

This from news articles in the local Trieste newspaper:

Regal Princess to be delivered in May at Trieste

Prior to departing on Sea Trials, Regal Princess let loose the moorings and was pulled away from the berth by tugs in front of the ship yard and started the so-called "inclining test." In the atrium, the tallest space on board, a huge pendulum marked the various shifts determined by the filling and the emptying of ballast tanks.

With everything "managed" by computers these days, it's kind of cool to read they hung a large pendulum to mark the shifts. Sometimes the old ways of doing things are not so bad/antiquated after all. :D Reading that really made me smile. (Did that sound like an "old fart" comment?!?) :eek: :D

I haven't been on a ship's bridge in a few years but remember seeing a small ship's wheel still on the bridge, even though movements were being controlled by a joystick. There's something to be said for keeping traditions alive.

Are you addicted if the first thing you do when waking up for work is check on Regal Princess? ;)

Current location

13907022381_fb826a5844.jpg

Since I don't drink or smoke or run around with women all night. And I work a part time job to pay for my addiction. I think it's justified. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk