COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

Dang, if those exhaust extensions cure the soot problem, I'll probably be kicking myself for booking a mid-ship deluxe extended balcony cabin rather than an aft premium deluxe cabin with an even bigger balcony on the inaugural cruise... :rolleyes:

Dang, if those exhaust extensions cure the soot problem, I'll probably be kicking myself for booking a mid-ship deluxe extended balcony cabin rather than an aft premium deluxe cabin with an even bigger balcony on the inaugural cruise... :rolleyes:

I had an aft cabin on the Carnival Legend. I hated it. Everyone raved about having an aft. The cabin shook violently for the last three days of the cruise. Carnival said it was because of rough seas. I've been on a few cruises and know what rough seas look like. We didn't have rough seas. Something was wrong with the ship. After that experience. I will never book an aft cabin again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JPEvans

What is that big rectangle thing on the side of the ship under the

Aft dining room windows? I'm sure it has been discussed before.

Does the ship open up for something?

JP! Are you talking about that enclosed area just below the "Regal Princess" name sign?? I think that is just the windows enclosing the Lido Deck Horizon Court et al area, but I could be mistaken.

JP! Are you talking about that enclosed area just below the "Regal Princess" name sign?? I think that is just the windows enclosing the Lido Deck Horizon Court et al area, but I could be mistaken.

What I'm talking about looks like a big door that comes out of the hull right under the aft dining room. It has a couple stern thruster signs on it. Dave said it might have something to do with the marine evacuation Shute.

Regal Princess was christened at the back end of May, 26th I think, at Monfalcone and the godmother is none other than Carolyn Spencer-Brown the editor of cruise critic. There has been no publicity on this, other than in Monfalcone and the Trieste newspaper.

Happy cruising

Edited by Sapphire56

Regal Princess was christened at the back end of May, 26th I think, at Monfalcone and the godmother is none other than Carolyn Spencer-Brown the editor of cruise critic. There has been no publicity on this, other than in Monfalcone and the Trieste newspaper.

Happy cruising

Yes, I remember that event and read several articles about it. I guess I was confused and guessed it may have been a "preliminary" christening awaiting the selection of some "BIG name" to do the real thing. I guess we will find out when we board and go to "that spot" near passenger services and see whose picture we see! :rolleyes:

Yes, I remember that event and read several articles about it. I guess I was confused and guessed it may have been a "preliminary" christening awaiting the selection of some "BIG name" to do the real thing. I guess we will find out when we board and go to "that spot" near passenger services and see whose picture we see! :rolleyes:

She was what they call a Madrina. I believe Italian for Godmother. That is the name the shipyard gives to the female who christens a ship at the float out ceremony.

That was the equivalent of the following for the Royal at its floatout:

Princess President and CEO Alan Buckelew and Royal Princess Captain Tony Draper attended the event, as did long-time Princess master Captain Nick Nash and his daughter, Victoria, who served as the ship’s “madrina” (or “godmother”).

Following the Italian shipyard’s tradition, the float out of a ship is celebrated when the madrina cuts the cord that begins the flow of water into the ship’s dock. Victoria Nash was chosen to serve as madrina because she has a special connection to the first Royal Princess -- as a baby, she was christened aboard the ship.

She was what they call a Madrina. I believe Italian for Godmother. That is the name the shipyard gives to the female who christens a ship at the float out ceremony.

That was the equivalent of the following for the Royal at its floatout:

Princess President and CEO Alan Buckelew and Royal Princess Captain Tony Draper attended the event, as did long-time Princess master Captain Nick Nash and his daughter, Victoria, who served as the ship’s “madrina” (or “godmother”).

Following the Italian shipyard’s tradition, the float out of a ship is celebrated when the madrina cuts the cord that begins the flow of water into the ship’s dock. Victoria Nash was chosen to serve as madrina because she has a special connection to the first Royal Princess -- as a baby, she was christened aboard the ship.

Well, that fits right in with what I thought the "original" christening was all about! So now we are left with the same question that we had yesterday ... WHO, pray tell, is the REAL God Mother???? I sure hope that it is NOT anyone political!!!! I've never experienced that before and don't think the cruising world is ready for that ... I SURE AM NOT!!!!

The following appeared in the Trieste newspaper. I touched up Google Translate's rendition. (I teach Italian.) The original follows, for those who know Italian.

Regal Princess, returning from sea trials in the rain

Regal Princess returned to Monfalcone Easter Monday, in a drenching rain, after six days of testing ahead of the contractual delivery expected in mid-May in Trieste. The vessel moored at the Fincantieri dock around 3:00 P.M., several hours late. This is because one of the technicians on board was hit with peritonitis. The Regal Princess assisted by arriving off of Trieste the other night, stopping a mile from the Old Port, from which a boat of the Harbor Patrol reached the ship and then brought ashore the sick man.

Regal Princess, rientro dalle prove sotto la pioggia

Regal Princess ha fatto rientro a Monfalcone lunedì di Pasquetta, sotto una fitta pioggia, dopo sei giorni di prove contrattuali in vista della consegna prevista a Trieste a metà maggio. L'unità ha attraccato alla banchina di Fincantieri attorno alle 15, con diverse ore di ritardo. Ciò a causa della peritonite che ha colpito uno dei tecnici a bordo, per soccorrere il quale Regal Princess ha raggiunto l'altra notte Trieste, fermandosi a un miglio dal Porto Vecchio, da dove una motovedetta della Capitaneria di porto ha raggiunto la nave e poi portato a terra il malato.

---Joan

Well, that fits right in with what I thought the "original" christening was all about! So now we are left with the same question that we had yesterday ... WHO, pray tell, is the REAL God Mother???? I sure hope that it is NOT anyone political!!!! I've never experienced that before and don't think the cruising world is ready for that ... I SURE AM NOT!!!!

When did we know the Countess of Cambridge was going to be Godmother?

Princess should get Prince Edward's wife the Countess of Wessex. Nobody political or with lots of drama.

One additional point, that the official Godmother to the ship is not the Madrina for the floatout ceremony, but the person that NAMES the ship and christens the hull at the official Naming Ceremony. That's the name that goes into the record books.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

What I'm talking about looks like a big door that comes out of the hull right under the aft dining room. It has a couple stern thruster signs on it. Dave said it might have something to do with the marine evacuation Shute.

I'm not sure if you had time to check out the pictures I linked, but it definitely is not a door or hatch of any kind. You can see that from these closer pictures of Royal Princess during construction:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38248734&postcount=2173

Yesterday I came across this article - the paragraph below is an excerpt.

January 31, 2014|By Arlene Satchell, Sun Sentinel

Two new ships sailing from South Florida ports to the Caribbean this year are the 4,000-passenger Norwegian Getaway debuting in February at Port Miami and the 3,560-guest Regal Princess, which will be christened at Port Everglades in November.

This seems weird.

Link to full article:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-01-31/business/fl-cruise-wave-season-2014-20140124_1_cruise-planners-michelle-fee-brad-tolkin

Edited by MarKay525

Yesterday I came across this article - the paragraph below is an excerpt.

January 31, 2014|By Arlene Satchell, Sun Sentinel

Two new ships sailing from South Florida ports to the Caribbean this year are the 4,000-passenger Norwegian Getaway debuting in February at Port Miami and the 3,560-guest Regal Princess, which will be christened at Port Everglades in November.

This seems weird.

Link to full article:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-01-31/business/fl-cruise-wave-season-2014-20140124_1_cruise-planners-michelle-fee-brad-tolkin

Well, I seriously doubt that! Regal Princess will, as did the Royal, do at least a month's worth of paying passenger boarded sailings from ports in Italy and other European ports, concluding with a sailing from Southampton, England (more than likely) to the USA! (FLL) PRIOR to any official passenger boarded sailings, the ship must be christened / named in an official ceremony. As is typical with S. Florida cruise/vacation writers in the local press, they know very little about their "calling" and I would suggest they study a bit more before they blurt out articles that are not researched. Regal Princess will NOT be christened in Fort Lauderdale unless she sails EMPTY from her release from Monfalcone through a series of European sailings, and the much awaited trans Atlantic from the UK to Florida. Yeah, right! Can you see any profit oriented company wasting those opportunities to gather passenger revenue just to ensure that a S. FL "travel editorialist" keeps face????? Or did I miss something in searching through a ton of words to fine a 2.5 line mention of this topic of the Regal?????

Just discovered a few photos I thought people might like to share.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/04/23/regal-princess-sea-trials/8053721/

Gorgeous pictures!!! And THANKS for posting those links!!! :D I know some of you like to use them as wallpaper for your computers, so here is the link for the Princess Cruises photostream...

:D

Great photos, she looks beautiful. You can really see the windscreen for the Retreat Pool deck in a couple of the photos.

Dave

Can you point out where "You can really see the windscreen "?

It's funny, I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes but in all of the criticisms of the Royal my two biggies were never mentioned.

1) lack of shaded lounges

2) wind in the retreat area

(We ended up booking the Sanctuary for the week so solved both issues and had a FABULOUS week because the staff there and everywhere else were so wonderful!)

Dave

Can you point out where "You can really see the windscreen "?

It's funny, I know everyone has their own likes and dislikes but in all of the criticisms of the Royal my two biggies were never mentioned.

1) lack of shaded lounges

2) wind in the retreat area

(We ended up booking the Sanctuary for the week so solved both issues and had a FABULOUS week because the staff there and everywhere else were so wonderful!)

Here's an earlier post that may shed some light on that new wind break structure, along with some new pictures from her sea trials. Look aft of the main mast, and at the front/top of the Retreat area, and you will see it.

I've been studying in depth a video I found of Regal Princess taken after she exited dry dock, and before she departed on her sea trials, and have noticed something new.

Just aft of The Sanctuary, there is a large arch of metal (seen in first half of image below) that may be part of a wind break designed to keep the Retreat from suffering some of it's high wind days.

In the second part of that image, the thick metal base frame that the canopy of The Sanctuary is tied to at the front (bottom), now extends all the way back past the beginning of the Retreat. Compare the Regal Princess image to that of Royal Princess and you'll see what I'm talking about....

13941722961_df8a4ceb4d_b.jpg

11543176145_25ea57d6cc_c.jpg

14014182023_c1125d65e9_b.jpg

14014182043_a9782a372a_b.jpg

14014182053_125fdb4576_b.jpg

Thanks Dave!!!

You're the best!!! :D

Now some wishful thinking on my part.....

Wouldn't it be nice if they attached some of that white netting (?) (like what they have over the Sanctuary) to that large metal arch? :D

EDIT: I just zoomed in on the pictures from the sea trials and it looks like the arch is used to add cover over the bar area of the retreat.

Am I misreading what I'm seeing?

Edited by chamima

Thanks Dave!!!

You're the best!!! :D

Now some wishful thinking on my part.....

Wouldn't it be nice if they attached some of that white netting (?) (like what they have over the Sanctuary) to that large metal arch? :D

YES!

EDIT: I just zoomed in on the pictures from the sea trials and it looks like the arch is used to add cover over the bar area of the retreat.

Am I misreading what I'm seeing?

Looking at the pictures, it appears that the main part of that wind screen structure is strictly vertical, and in line with the forward wall of the Retreat. The port/starboard ends of that structure sort of curve out, and it appears that the tarp possibly covers the support cables for the vertical part. I don't believe now that the tarp itself actually extends back into/over the Retreat, just that very small curved part on the ends.

Using a picture of Royal Princess, the red line port/starboard would represent the possible baseline of the vertical wall, and the curved lines where the tarp covered support cables fan out.

13991680362_6e7f14733f_o.jpg