COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

Hey JP Loving the cold and predicted snow for tomorrow? I'm not!!!! Can't wait to cruise in 2 weeks. I really did not realize how busy I was on the Royal so that I will try to make up for that on the Regal.

Please excuse me if I missed your sailing date in another post! When are you sailing on the Regal? I'll be on the Maiden Caribbean Sampler on 11/6 for 3 days, and again on the Maiden E. Caribbean 11/9 for 7 days, both out of FLL. Our roll calls are already active!! :D

Princess website is now showing that Regal will depart and arrive from/to the Stazione Marittima in Venice on 5/20 and 6/2 for her maiden roundtrip. The port website doesn't have any 2014 cruise data that I can find so I hope the Princess site is correct. Of course, everything is subject to change by the port authorities at any time... I hope the new ship size restrictions don't force her to use a different port area!

P&O's version of the Royal/Regal, Britannia, has two stacks and no MUTS. Will be interesting to see what, if any, soot issues she has next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I think Britannia does have a movie screen, but I'm not sure where it's located

Hi

I haven't been on in awhile and here you're up to the third page on the Regal. I just wanted to say hi, tonight, and now I'll have something to keep me going as I read through this post.

Thanks, Dave.

Lynne

It appears to be aft of the second smoke stack and smaller than on Princess.
Just looked at the video and Britannia does have a video screen aft of the second stack but it is below the stack on a wall so appears to be no potential impact on air flow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This pic was posted on Princess facebook. Taken Feb 25th? Looks like something is definitely going on back there:) Where the aft pool is to be

1922223_10152231679294060_865029195_n.jpg

I totally agree, the aft pool is going to be on deck there.

This pic was posted on Princess facebook. Taken Feb 25th?

1922223_10152231679294060_865029195_n.jpg

Any nautical engineers out there care to explain the purpose of the slanted extension extending out from the stern of the Regal/Royal? It appears to be above the waterline so probably not anything to do with trim. Perhaps a way to reduce noise from the propeller streams??

Edited by Av8tor

Here is a write up........

A recent maritime certification compliance with SOLAS is an increase in stability requirements. As vessels superstructures get taller they need a stable base (hull). A popular enhancement done in drydocking a modern cruise ship is the addition of balconies. This can sometimes be done by extending the stern superstructure of a vessel as was done with the Veendam left (notice the addition of a ducktail). Another option is the addition of a sponson. [1] A sponson is the extension of the hull on the sides of a 800px-Princess_of_Scandinavia_Gothenburg.jpgvessel. These mostly are reserved for Ro/Ro vessels as they contain a large, unrestricted vehicle deck. An example can be seen in the Ro/Ro ferry Princess of Scandinavia right. The addition of Sponsons can be unappealing to a vessel. This is another reason that cruise ships resort to a duck tail.

This month saw the drydocking of 3 ships and the addition of ducktails to two of the ships. P&O’s Arcadia at the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg, Germany received hers below.

ORIANA+BV+Hamburg+%252809%2529+11-2011.jpgORIANA+BV+Hamburg+%252810%2529+11-2011.jpg

ORIANA will leave December 17th.

P1000660small.jpg

On the other side of Europe, in Cadiz, Royal Caribbean’s Splendour of the Seas is going through a rather massive drydock. Her duck tail is rather more pronounced. Here it is all painted.

lZI5.jpg

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Any nautical engineers out there care to explain the purpose of the slanted extension extending out from the stern of the Regal/Royal? It appears to be above the waterline so probably not anything to do with trim. Perhaps a way to reduce noise from the propeller streams??

The "ducktails" are said to help with stability of the ship. I also believe

I read that it's a new requirement. So I guess you will see it on a lot

More ships.

The maiden voyages, are being sold in various time lengths. If on the 20 day, any idea if there will be just one cruise card for the entire length or we will need to re-card 3 times?

I know others have had this experience and will know the answer. Thanks for all the help.

Just discovered this thread. I've missed you Dave! No plans to sale on Regal yet, but get to do the Royal again March 16. Love reading about cruising, my new addiction.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The maiden voyages, are being sold in various time lengths. If on the 20 day, any idea if there will be just one cruise card for the entire length or we will need to re-card 3 times?

I know others have had this experience and will know the answer. Thanks for all the help.

Susan, I could be wrong but I think the "in transit passenger" get off then get back on thing is only in the US ports due to customs and immigration. I believe that if you are doing one or more b2b sailings in the Med or other areas of Europe, that rule does not apply. Hopefully someone who has done those multiple b2b2b cruises over there can supply the correct info first hand!:confused:

Susan, I could be wrong but I think the "in transit passenger" get off then get back on thing is only in the US ports due to customs and immigration. I believe that if you are doing one or more b2b sailings in the Med or other areas of Europe, that rule does not apply. Hopefully someone who has done those multiple b2b2b cruises over there can supply the correct info first hand!:confused:

I'll be doing a B2B on the Ruby in 2 weeks, this is a cruise sold as a 4, 5 as well as a 9 day segment, I'll let you know how that works.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll be doing a B2B on the Ruby in 2 weeks, this is a cruise sold as a 4, 5 as well as a 9 day segment, I'll let you know how that works.

Hi Pat!! So good to hear from you! I hope all is well in your world! Yes, please do let us know how those multiple day sales work as far as disembarking and re-embarking. Is the Ruby cruise within the USA? I'm busy with my Regal Maiden Caribbean Sampler (3-days) and b2b 7-day just like we did on the Royal. I just couldn't stay away! :rolleyes: But that's 8 months away! :)

Hi Pat!! So good to hear from you! I hope all is well in your world! Yes, please do let us know how those multiple day sales work as far as disembarking and re-embarking. Is the Ruby cruise within the USA? I'm busy with my Regal Maiden Caribbean Sampler (3-days) and b2b 7-day just like we did on the Royal. I just couldn't stay away! :rolleyes: But that's 8 months away! :)

Hi Larry, like so many others I couldn't resist the "lure", of a Regal thread. Things are well in my world and I'm getting ready to call this school year my last!

We had only planned on doing the 5day segment, but the price was too good and the lure of getting closer to elite, and 5 sea days out of 9..... No brainer for me!

The cruise is an eastern and western Caribbean, only 3 ports, and of course the change of passengers in FLL.

I'm trying to convince Mom.... The Regal might be just far enough out and I'd love to do the same B2B as you are.

I did get the chance to sail the Royal again, we got a fantastic deal over Thanksgiving had a great time and got to explore areas I hadn't seen.

I'll let you know if we decide and I'll post about the "in transit" process when we get back

Take care

Hi Larry, like so many others I couldn't resist the "lure", of a Regal thread. Things are well in my world and I'm getting ready to call this school year my last!

We had only planned on doing the 5day segment, but the price was too good and the lure of getting closer to elite, and 5 sea days out of 9..... No brainer for me!

The cruise is an eastern and western Caribbean, only 3 ports, and of course the change of passengers in FLL.

I'm trying to convince Mom.... The Regal might be just far enough out and I'd love to do the same B2B as you are.

I did get the chance to sail the Royal again, we got a fantastic deal over Thanksgiving had a great time and got to explore areas I hadn't seen.

I'll let you know if we decide and I'll post about the "in transit" process when we get back

Take care

Pat, you really need to come join us on the Regal Princess 11/6/14 thread (this is the 3-day maiden Caribbean), AND the Regal Princess November 9th 2014 thread which is the b2b 7-day. Same as the Royal with the exception of NO GRAND TURK! Take a peek at your potential traveling friends then make your decision. We've got the roll call pretty well organized, some events already planned and I have the same spreadsheet as we had on the Royal.

Looking forward to the in transit report!!

Larry

Here are the links to the 2 threads I'm on for Regal 11/6 and 11/9:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1882767

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1852641

Take a leap of faith and join me!!

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Take care

Pat! I just wanted to wish you a great cruise before you depart! I know you will enjoy the Ruby and your itinerary. Looking forward to your post about the "turnaround" experience. I've had two mixed experiences. As long as everyone READS and FOLLOWS the rules, it should be a no-brainer and go very well.

Think about that Regal voyage! Would love to see you again....of course you could show up at Seasons S52/Altamonte one Saturday around 11:30am and I'd be there too! ;)