Port Canaveral

Teacherloves2Cruise

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for departing from Port Canaveral? We are dropping a car off at Avis and they will shuttle us to the port. From there on, any tips? If we only have smaller-sized roller bags, do we need to use tags and give them to the porters, or can we bring them on?

Thanks so much.

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for departing from Port Canaveral? We are dropping a car off at Avis and they will shuttle us to the port. From there on, any tips? If we only have smaller-sized roller bags, do we need to use tags and give them to the porters, or can we bring them on?

Thanks so much.

Your luggage must fit through the scanner or you will have to check it. They are pretty strict on the size because I had a bag I was sure met the requirements but was told by the porter I had to check it. Well of course I was so sure I was right I proceeded on the the terminal where I was turned around and told to go back and check it....:o.

Needless to say the "walk of shame" back to the porters was not fun!:o

Edited by GTO-Girl

Drop your group off at the port with all the bags. Then just one of you take the car back to the rental place and ride the shuttle back. Be sure to have a copy of your set sail for the group and one for the car return person. The rest can go thru the screening and wait for the driver upstairs then check in as a complete group.

Drop your group off at the port with all the bags. Then just one of you take the car back to the rental place and ride the shuttle back. Be sure to have a copy of your set sail for the group and one for the car return person. The rest can go thru the screening and wait for the driver upstairs then check in as a complete group.

Great idea!

My tip is for after the cruise. Don't wait in line for the rental shuttles. You will only arrive with large group and long wait. I have always gotten right off the ship and grabbed a taxi to the rental agency. It is well worth the 10-15 dollar taxi ride.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm also cruising out of port canaveral soon - and renting a car for the first time to drive over from mco night before.

For those that have done the rental car (we are using budget), how long does it typically take to drop off car and get back to port?

Also - what time do you recommend dropping off party w bags? I like to board early but don't want to leave my friends there too early while I return car!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you're there the night before your cruise check to see if any ships will be going out that evening. If so, there are some great restaurants on the south side of the ship basin where the departing ships pass right by you very close. -

They have good food and, if you want, outdoor decks for dining. Our favorite is Fish Lips where the Port Canveral webcam is located. :)

If you're there the night before your cruise check to see if any ships will be going out that evening. If so, there are some great restaurants on the south side of the ship basin where the departing ships pass right by you very close. -

They have good food and, if you want, outdoor decks for dining. Our favorite is Fish Lips where the Port Canveral webcam is located. :)

agree with visiting Fishlips.We had the alligator bites ,watched a satellite launch from cape Canaveral and had the good fortune of watching a pair of dolphins playing near the outside dining area . Edited by help04me

I'm also cruising out of port canaveral soon - and renting a car for the first time to drive over from mco night before.

For those that have done the rental car (we are using budget), how long does it typically take to drop off car and get back to port?

Also - what time do you recommend dropping off party w bags? I like to board early but don't want to leave my friends there too early while I return car!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Peggy, for time of leaving port (curbside) to Budget, and shuttle back.....?I would say anywhere between 15-30 mins. It all depends if the return shuttle is at Budget or if you have to wait a few mins. I am an early arrive person too. 10:30am if our usual time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In my experience, if you can check it with an airline and not pay excess charges it will easily fit through the cruise port scanner. We have a suitcase that we have to be careful to not exceed 50 pounds (where most airlines start charging for excess), and it has easily gone through the scanners at ten or more ports (including Port Canaveral). Yes, we have been told several times that it would not fit, but that was bull. And the 50 pound limit has been approached with mostly clothes and a few shoes, not high density books or gold bars (I wish).

Thom

Your luggage must fit through the scanner or you will have to check it. They are pretty strict on the size because I had a bag I was sure met the requirements but was told by the porter I had to check it. Well of course I was so sure I was right I proceeded on the the terminal where I was turned around and told to go back and check it....:o.

Needless to say the "walk of shame" back to the porters was not fun!:o

DH and I encountered the same thing with a large bag and had to do the "walk of shame" last January on Freedom OTS. We carry on our bags b/c we like being able to unpack our bags when the rooms open. We'd taken the same bag thru security at Port Everglades about six times without any problems.

The security at Port Canaveral conducts some type of pre-screening process to prevent large bags from ever making it to the carry-on bag screening machines.

I wonder what the strict size requirements are? I thought a carry-on bag only needed to be able to fit thru the screening machine. I think the carry-on bag screeners are the same size as the ones for checked bags, not sure though.

AT

We are looking at flights for a cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Do either SFB or MCO airports work?

Which is better...and why?

THANKS!

Either airport is 45 minutes or so from the port. MCO would have more flights, and likely more competition, depending on where you are flying from.

This is good because the shuttles often times have room for a single rider most every time, where taking a family of 5 may have you waiting for the next shuttle with room for 5. The terminal has a really big room with lots and lots of seat where your group can wait on you.

This also works in reverse, especially depending on when you leave the ship there can be lots of people waiting on the shuttles and there is just a tent thingy to stand under in the hot air. You can usually squeeze into the first shuttle with no luggage and come back for the group. Of course you can just pay $15 for a taxi to your rental agency with no waiting.