Taking food off ship

Kim in CA

In the U.S. they use different breeds for different purposes. IIRC it is German Shepherds for explosives, retrievers for drugs and, for sure, beagles for food especially any meat products.
It was an adorable beagle sniffing the bags at the Pan American pier in San Juan a few weeks ago.

In the U.S. they use different breeds for different purposes. IIRC it is German Shepherds for explosives, retrievers for drugs and, for sure, beagles for food especially any meat products.

This is my understanding as well, certain breeds are more in tune with different scents.

Ok. So we have covered the "Do not bring unpackaged food off the ship".

BUT, can we bring an unopened bottle of water with us for our long excursion in a port?

We have the non-alcoholic beverage plan that gives you bottled water and I would like to take a bottle (if permitted, of course) with me on one of my long excursions.

Unopened water is OK. We always bring a large bottle each.

And a coffee or tea is OK. I always ask, just in case, but I've always been able to walk off with a cup of tea and is limited to the Caribbean.

BUT, can we bring an unopened bottle of water with us for our long excursion in a port?

We have the non-alcoholic beverage plan that gives you bottled water and I would like to take a bottle (if permitted, of course) with me on one of my long excursions.

X actually sets up a table at the gangway and sells (or uses drink package) bottled water and beverages for your convenience!

I think those are drug sniffing dogs.

You will see these lovely dogs very often in the international arrival in US airports - and they are not drug sniffing dogs - they look for agriculture products like fruits and meat and are from the US Department of Agriculture. Don't try to bring an apple or a salami into the US!

Why do US citizen think it's OK to bring food into other countries when it is forbidden in our country?

Water, yes. Plus all the food in your stomach is okay too. Most countries want you to keep the food in your stomach for the duration of your visit.
Not sure how to take this since you list that you are from "The Land of Bad Comedy". In undeveloped areas of the Galapagos (that is most of it) there are no potty breaks allowed - if you need to go, it is back to the ship. Park Rangers who stay ashore (and, of necessity, have potty breaks) are not allowed to consume foods such as nuts and seeds for a number of days sufficient to clear their system prior to their tour of duty.

Thom

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody know if these rules apply between the US and Canada?

We will be self catering in various locations in the US and then crossing in to Canada (at Niagara).

We will be doing further self catering in Vermont after our Canada trip and I would prefer not to have to throw literally everything away.

I am meaning things like opened bottles of olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard, preserves etc etc.

Thank you for all of the responses to my question. I would never take fresh, unsealed food off the ship if directed not to do so, but I sometimes need to eat a little something to avoid feeling ill. Unfortunately, this does not always occur at the appropriate time when I am on a group tour. I will be sure to pack some small sealed packages of nuts or granola bars.

…and yes, I love to sample local foods when we travel! :)

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody know if these rules apply between the US and Canada?...
All countries (and often regions within countries) have agricultural restrictions, but that means they can inspect and admit or not some or all products. Basically you should declare all food at the US-Canada border crossing, and most, if not all, will be allowed to pass.

If you have ever driven to California, they have agricultural inspection stations on most highways (looking especially for fruit flies,but also other things); I recall a ban on carrying potatoes from Newfoundland onto the ferry to Nova Scotia.

Thom

I have read numerous posts that have stated passengers are not allowed to take food from the ship with them on excursions. I don't remember this rule from previous cruises. Is it a Celebrity rule? Does anyone know the reason? Do they actually check?

Thanks.

Kim

it has ALWAYS been the policy when entering ANY foreign port that no fresh food of ANY sort is permitted off. only prepackaged and factory sealed and there are ports where not even that is allowed.

the ships/cruise lines have nothing to do with it. it is Customs of the country you are entering. not all the dogs you see sniffing around your luggage( and you) are looking for drugs.

fines can be VERY high esp in closed climates( Hawai'i, Japan, Oz, New Zealand) where contamination is a HUGE deal

If you have ever driven to California, they have agricultural inspection stations on most highways (looking especially for fruit flies,but also other things)

Same with Florida as you cross the border and enter.

I have read numerous posts that have stated passengers are not allowed to take food from the ship with them on excursions. I don't remember this rule from previous cruises. Is it a Celebrity rule? Does anyone know the reason? Do they actually check?

Thanks.

Kim

I have seen bags checked by customs and port officials, not the ship staff in Bermuda. There was a huge table of fruit, and other items. the passengers were being put through magnatometers, and the bags were x-rayed. They could have been issuing summonses but they were not, thankfully.

Same with Florida as you cross the border and enter.
Generally in my experience Florida has agricultural and aquaculture inspections both inbound and outbound for commercial loads only; are they checking for different things going in the different directions?:confused:

California generally makes all inbound traffic stop for inspection.

Thom

Unopened water is OK. We always bring a large bottle each.

And a coffee or tea is OK. I always ask, just in case, but I've always been able to walk off with a cup of tea and is limited to the Caribbean.

That's supposed to be "my experience is limited to the Caribbean sailings"

sorry, didn't mean to include all other ports with that answer.

it has ALWAYS been the policy when entering ANY foreign port that no fresh food of ANY sort is permitted off. only prepackaged and factory sealed and there are ports where not even that is allowed.

:eek: I did not know that as I like to keep some protein bars in my bag when I travel and have never encountered a problem with them anywhere, so never gave them a second thought.

Thanks for the warning.

From now on, I will try to be more diligent about checking out the restrictions of any new ports we visit in the future.

I would not want to risk innocently violating some law and getting arrested or even fined, especially after learning about the strange prohibitions on chewing gum and drinking water on trains in Singapore.

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anybody know if these rules apply between the US and Canada?

We will be self catering in various locations in the US and then crossing in to Canada (at Niagara).

We will be doing further self catering in Vermont after our Canada trip and I would prefer not to have to throw literally everything away.

I am meaning things like opened bottles of olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard, preserves etc etc.

Canada has strict laws as well.... Your condiments are fine but do not take fresh produce. You can get the exact list on Canada Customs site. We always take a cooler of food on road trips... but follow the laws

Also we always carry protein bars when we cruise so we have food while in ports . We don't sample local food as we are cautious about cleanliness, etc. around food. The only time I broke our rule was in Mexico recently. We ate in a popular establishment. I had stomach cramps within minutes!!!

Fruit , cheese , meats are a no no. Grab a croissant, box of cheerios, muffin and you'll be ok. If asked when you disembark be honest and they have never taken the items I've just mentioned.

That depends entirely on the country. Those items will be seized in Australia and New Zealand at least and if you haven't declared them you will also be fined heavily. Your passport will also be tagged.

Beagles are used for drug and agricultural sniffing in Australia.

If travelling internally within Australia then fruit and vegetables are not allowed to be transported between states. Honey is totally banned in Kangaroo Island as it's the last remaining pure colony in the world of the Ligurian bee.

Edited by Pushka

Better be careful ... our car has been torn apart TWICE crossing the border from the US to Canada - once for a bit of cheese, another time for a bottle of wine. Border agents in both countries are deadly serious and wield tremendous power. Like 'sieze your car' power.

Thanks to everybody who has answered my query about US to Canada.

I guess we will declare what we have and hope for the best. I will dispose of all fresh produce - would have had to anyway since we have quite a few hotel days between self catering properties.

Wine was one of the most likely things actually since we usually buy a few bottles and don't always drink them all.

Actually I have just remembered that the last time we had this sort of vacation my brother-in-law and his wife drove from Canada to visit us in a New England rental property. They brought home made muffins among other goodies - perhaps they were just lucky.

Edited by CABINET

I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I have read every post. Last month in Cozumel We left the ship late. There were 3 huge trash cans supervised by gov't uniformed officials, full of confiscated fruit and food, mostly fruit. I was appalled at the waste of food caused by passengers who should know better. Are we so first world that this aspect of it bothers no one? I would imagine that even in Mexico, that food was destroyed because it had landed on Mexican soil. In my Pollyanna heart, I try to believe it went to poor people...sigh...