Can i move my bed next to the balcony??

dimiegirl

I really appreciate the help from those who sincerely tried to answer my question. I am not as experienced as most others on this board. The reason I asked this question was to see what options I had in case I did not get the configuration that I was looking for. As mentioned earlier, even the celebrity representative said he had no idea how to tell which have balconies near the bed...

That being said, I have a healthy sense of humor and found the toilet on the balcony to be quite funny and lighthearted:)... However, the "You have got to be kidding me" comment was quite condescending and unnecessary...not what these forums are supposed to be about...

Yes, it's true. You can tell by the ship deck plans. If it's a cabin for only 2 the bed is near the balcony. If for 3 or 4 it is away from the balcony. There is definitely a learning curve in how to go about picking a room that suits you. And if you aren't brand loyal (raises hand) you have to learn the difference not only between staterooms on any given ship but between classes of ships and different lines. I hope you get the arrangement you desire :) Happy cruising!

Silly question.......I'm NOT trying to be rude, I promise! :)

I see this post often. What does it matter if the bed is by the balcony or by the bathroom? Is it because the hallway can be a little loud sometimes? That is the only reason I can think of. We have been on several cruises and I can't remember where the bed has been. Also we are booked in a balcony room on the S class in March. Should I be concerned where my bed is? Is there something I don't know. Please advise!

Thanks!

I prefer the bed to be away from the balcony. That way if one of us is sleeping and the other wants to be on the balcony we don't disturb each other as much going in and out.

...What does it matter if the bed is by the balcony or by the bathroom? Is it because the hallway can be a little loud sometimes? That is the only reason I can think of. We have been on several cruises and I can't remember where the bed has been. Also we are booked in a balcony room on the S class in March. Should I be concerned where my bed is? Is there something I don't know.

I prefer the bed to be away from the balcony. That way if one of us is sleeping and the other wants to be on the balcony we don't disturb each other as much going in and out.

And we prefer the bed by the balcony. It makes getting dressed easier with the open area next to the closet and bathroom instead of having to squeeze past the end of the bed to go back and forth. We also sleep with the drapes open because we like to see the stars and moon at night, and the water in the morning. We cruise to be close to the ocean and to nature, so the more we can see out the better. The bed by the balcony makes it easier to see out while we're laying in bed.

Edited by boogs

I really appreciate the help from those who sincerely tried to answer my question. I am not as experienced as most others on this board. The reason I asked this question was to see what options I had in case I did not get the configuration that I was looking for. As mentioned earlier, even the celebrity representative said he had no idea how to tell which have balconies near the bed...

That being said, I have a healthy sense of humor and found the toilet on the balcony to be quite funny and lighthearted:)... However, the "You have got to be kidding me" comment was quite condescending and unnecessary...not what these forums are supposed to be about...

Honestly, I kind of had to LOL too, but then we've been on X and know the beds cannot be moved.

When you book a cruise, you can go to the deck plans and look at your cabin...it will give you the configuration if it's near the bathroom or the balcony.

Your X rep was wrong...they do have a way to see if it's near the balcony or bathroom.

I'm not a really experienced cruiser myself, (only been on 2) so don't feel alone. And cruise critic is a really great place for rinding a lot of helpful information.

When are you cruising? Maybe you can talk to someone and have them change your room in the same category with a bed that is close to the balcony.

Edited by midwestchick

Yeah, sorry about making jokes at your expense but I just couldn't resist. And when you think about it, if the beds can be split then they must be able to be moved. The question is not as dumb as it first seems.

There are many reasons for wanting to change the furniture configuration.

Friend and I booked a category 12 (used to be called penthouse suite) years back on her first cruise. We are good friends but it's a huge room & saw no need for beds that were inches apart in such a huge room. We moved the furniture completely around - had big sofa dividing the room in two & beds at opposite ends of the cabin. Cabin stewards eyes bugged when he saw how busy we had been.

And we prefer the bed by the balcony. It makes getting dressed easier with the open area next to the closet and bathroom instead of having to squeeze past the end of the bed to go back and forth. We also sleep with the drapes open because we like to see the stars and moon at night, and the water in the morning. We cruise to be close to the ocean and to nature, so the more we can see out the better. The bed by the balcony makes it easier to see out while we're laying in bed.

Ditto! for all the same reasons.

Unfortunately, I gather on M class this is not an option.

Honestly, I kind of had to LOL too, but then we've been on X and know the beds cannot be moved.

When you book a cruise, you can go to the deck plans and look at your cabin...it will give you the configuration if it's near the bathroom or the balcony.

Your X rep was wrong...they do have a way to see if it's near the balcony or bathroom.

I'm not a really experienced cruiser myself, (only been on 2) so don't feel alone. And cruise critic is a really great place for rinding a lot of helpful information.

When are you cruising? Maybe you can talk to someone and have them change your room in the same category with a bed that is close to the balcony.

Hi Midwestchick,

I was wondering where you see the configuration on the deck plans. when I hit the stateroom it shows a generic set up..the same set up no matter which room (in the same category) I choose to look at..the bed/balcony configuration doesn't change...is there another area on the deck plan? Thanks:)

Hi Midwestchick,

I was wondering where you see the configuration on the deck plans. when I hit the stateroom it shows a generic set up..the same set up no matter which room (in the same category) I choose to look at..the bed/balcony configuration doesn't change...is there another area on the deck plan? Thanks:)

The square or triangle on the deck plan for each room indicates that the cabin can sleep more than 2 and the bed will be by the balcony. The absence of this mark indicates it is by the bathroom. For example 1044 has no mark, bed is by the balcony.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=RF#deck_plans/explore/ships/deckPlans.do%3FshipCode=RF

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou

Serious reply here...I know firsthand about moving the furniture b/c we do it all the time. We always move one of the beds to fit b/w the sofa & the desk, and yes, they move easily. Why you ask??? Because I have supersonic ears & my beloved BF is quite the snorer, so the distance helps (yes, in addition to earplugs and a noise machine). I can also tell you that the sofas do not move (however, on some RCCL ships they do...LOL)!

And for anyone wondering, yes, we go through this ritual of moving the bed every morning & night, but it's really not that big a deal.

The square or triangle on the deck plan for each room indicates that the cabin can sleep more than 2 and the bed will be by the balcony. The absence of this mark indicates it is by the bathroom. For example 1044 has no mark, bed is by the balcony.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=RF#deck_plans/explore/ships/deckPlans.do%3FshipCode=RF

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou

Our room on the Equinox (8244) slept 2 (and doesn't have a square/triangle on deck plan) and the bed was by the balcony.

Actually, the beds can be moved (the beds are actually two "single" beds that are pushed together to make one larger bed, or kept apart as two singles), just not practical to move. I suppose you could push one of the single beds into the opening between couch and desk.

But the obvious choice is to book the room configuration you prefer to begin with.

have a great cruise.

The square or triangle on the deck plan for each room indicates that the cabin can sleep more than 2 and the bed will be by the balcony. ...

I think you have this backwards. I believe that if the cabin can sleep more than 2, as designated by a square or triangle on the deck plan, that the bed will be closer to the bathroom. I believe it is the cabins that only have room for 2 which have the beds closer to the veranda.

Edited by Lsimon

Actually, I thought that every balcony room on S class ships alternated between the bath & the balcony. If you look at the photo earlier in this thread, you see the indent in the wall. I thought the rooms were nested together when installed to save space, with the bed in the widest portion of the room, thus the alternating position of the bed. If your room is not on the spreadsheet, find the closet one that is & figure it out from there.

Ditto! for all the same reasons.

Unfortunately, I gather on M class this is not an option.

Correct. On M-class ships, the non-suite rooms have the beds next to the bathroom.

Edited by boogs

Anyone know if the beds are ever by the balcony on Century or is the ship too old?

I prefer this but don't expect it on this ship. Beds by balcony on Equinox, AQ1 made the room soooooo much better/otherwise squeezing around the bed to get into the closet was a feat as we had 2 twins with an unusable nite stand/no drawers/ in between.......

as I have posted before, this cabin (upgraded from C3/big mistake) was the worst for storage I have ever had/including early days on Carnival and recently RC Brilliance of Seas......

Barb

Anyone know if the beds are ever by the balcony on Century or is the ship too old?

I prefer this but don't expect it on this ship. Beds by balcony on Equinox, AQ1 made the room soooooo much better/otherwise squeezing around the bed to get into the closet was a feat as we had 2 twins with an unusable nite stand/no drawers/ in between.......

as I have posted before, this cabin (upgraded from C3/big mistake) was the worst for storage I have ever had/including early days on Carnival and recently RC Brilliance of Seas......

Barb

I don't think the beds vary on the Century or M class like they do on S class as the cabins are all regular rectangles and not the alternating widths as they are on S class. Good news though is that you can get to the closets easier, they have more storage and there are more usable drawers in the main part of the cabin (not bathroom) than S class.

The rooms are all so small, I don't think a few feet is going to impact your ability to hear the wind at night, you aren't really going to see anything even if the bed is inches from the window. Then there is the privacy issue, and noise from adjacent cabins to deal with. Having the door open at night sounds much better in theory than in practice.

The rooms are all so small, I don't think a few feet is going to impact your ability to hear the wind at night, you aren't really going to see anything even if the bed is inches from the window. Then there is the privacy issue, and noise from adjacent cabins to deal with. Having the door open at night sounds much better in theory than in practice.

It is obvious that you haven't spent time in a stateroom with the bed by the balcony.

It isn't the wind that we want to hear. It's the view out the window that we enjoy, and the bed by the balcony is better for that at night. And privacy is not an issue. It is difficult to see into the room during the daytime because it is brighter outside than inside, and at night with the lights on, it doesn't make any difference where the bed is, if the drapes are open the entire room will be visible to anyone outside who goes through the trouble of twisting themselves around the partitions to see in.

Edited by boogs

Here is the link to the cabins on the "S" Class ships, which will indicate whether bed is near bath or balcony.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AtHczoNeooladEEyVmQwWmJhaGItbFZPUFNudTFZcEE

Unfortunately the chart isn't flawless as I just found out. Monday I told my wife I booked a room (6251) with the bed by the bath which she preferred, but although it's listed on the chart as 'bath', it actually should be by the balcony based on the every other room rule. Oh well, just another unpleasant surprise about this booking:(

Unfortunately the chart isn't flawless as I just found out. Monday I told my wife I booked a room (6251) with the bed by the bath which she preferred, but although it's listed on the chart as 'bath', it actually should be by the balcony based on the every other room rule. Oh well, just another unpleasant surprise about this booking:(

If you aren't pleased with your cabin location, call your TA or Celebrity to switch to one that has the bed by the bath.

The spread sheet was kindly compiled by a member of Cruise Critic based on input from other cruisers. LibraryLady has put much effort into this and it is 99.9% appreciated! Errors aren't her fault nor her responsibility .

Edited by TMLAalum

On Soltice class ships it is actually quite easy to work out which have bed near balcony.

First rule is look on the deck plans and try to find a pair of cabins: one with only two occupancy and one which will accommodate three or four. (The ones that accommodate three or four will have a square and or triangle)

The one that will only take two people is the one which has the bed nearest the balcony.

The one that can take 3rd/4th occupancy will always have sofa nearest balcony.

Then if you have a complete bank of cabins that show no symbol, you need to work along the deck until you find one that has a triangle or square for three/four occupancy. Use this as your start point and every other cabin along from this alternating along the deck will be sofa nearest balcony.

Hope that helps, basically they are built in pairs with a curve shape, the thinner end always has the sofa nearest balcony.

Just came off the Eclipse on Feb 8, 2014. We were a small group and had 3 cabins on Deck 8 (Vista). Cabin 8123 had it's bed near bath while 8129 & 8137 had their beds near the balcony. None of these cabins have either a diamond or a square on the deck plans. Cabin 8125, although not part of our group, had its' bed near the balcony. In our section of the ship every other room had the bed near the balcony.