"Come Back New"…Ummmm…No...

WillyBear

I thought it was just me--I think the ads are bland and boring too. I suppose they are trying for sophisticated and elegant, but come off as dull. We're late sixties, so I guess we are the demographic they are trying to reach, and but though we've cruised on Princess 10 times, these ads wouldn't convince me if we were first-timers. While I do like to relax on cruises, it is possible to have fun on Princess!

Actually, I have a feeling they are wanting to attract young (30-50) sophisticated yuppie types; there are a lot of cruisers who don't fit this description.

I totally agree with this post. We are in our 50's and really enjoyed our Princess cruise and are looking forward to doing more when we can make it work (we keep dreaming which is why I'm here but kids schedules have kept us on RC for now). But I think the ads are terrible. It makes the cruise sound so boring. It doesn't make me want to book at all. If I hadn't already been on a Princess cruise and knew that the whole family had really enjoyed it, I would be driven away by this ad campaign, not drawn in.

I thought it was just me! :) And the "who just met yesterday" line is brilliant. I don't love Carnival for a lot of reasons, but I do love this ad.

No offense but I'm waiting for a lawsuit on the new Carnival commercial as it is not allowed for them to let more than one person down the slide at a time...

When I see the RCL ads, I see the target audience zip-lining, ice skating, surfing, cartoon characters, merry go-rounds etc. By the end of the WOW, I am exhausted. I know it is not what I am looking for.

When I see the new Carnival ad, I see cute kiddies flying down a loopty loop slide 4 at a time. Another great family atmosphere and more cartoon characters. Not what I am looking for.

When I see the Princess ad I know I am looking for a cruise that will bring me back to real life with a better ability to deal with it. I escaped on all my previous Princess cruises and I came back from each one feeling like a new person! :D:D:D

Hubby and I come back new every time we cruise. To have 6 straight "date nights" and days with my hubby.........believe me I have a whole new attitude on life. He comes back with a "new" wife and I come back with a "new" husband.

I'd much rather have the low key ads of Princess than the hyperactive ads of some other cruise lines, who's attractions are rock climbing, "surfing", zip lining onboard, and the like. If that's what sort of "fun" one is looking for, those are the ads for those folks.

JMO, but I think Princess ads are more of a reflection of Princess' quiet classiness. And classiness is not just for us older cruisers. Plenty of 40-50 year olds seem to like it too.

Hooray! I agree 100%.

I thought it was just me--I think the ads are bland and boring too. I suppose they are trying for sophisticated and elegant, but come off as dull. We're late sixties, so I guess we are the demographic they are trying to reach, and but though we've cruised on Princess 10 times, these ads wouldn't convince me if we were first-timers. While I do like to relax on cruises, it is possible to have fun on Princess!

Actually, I have a feeling they are wanting to attract young (30-50) sophisticated yuppie types; there are a lot of cruisers who don't fit this description.

You use the word "dull", I use the words "calm" and "tranquil"...just what I want to feel on a cruise ship. For us, action would point in the direction of another land based type of vacation. Great to have options.

I'm not a fan of the ads - they're boring! We have tons of fun on cruises and the ads are too calm...it made me think the target audience was specifically senior citizens. Here I am trying to promote Princess to my friends (we're in our 40s) and those ads don't look very fun at all!

I've seen more smiling faces at a funeral. The passengers in the ad have no expression or emotion. I'm 53 and if I didn't know better I wouldn't book a Princess Cruise from those ads.

love the TV ad where a fiftyish couple is having lunch and the woman is gazing longingly at her husband looking spiffy and in control wearing a sport coat (at lunch, on princess?!) while he tells the waiter to surprise him with the wine. afternoon delight implied. "come" back new....LOL!

Yes, but the Geico ads are (mostly) funny. The Princess ads neither make sense nor are funny. Fail to the power of 2.

It also makes one feel somewhat unwelcome as a solo cruiser: not since Noah posted flyers for his maiden voyage has a cruise line sent out such a strong couples-only message.

Agreed. Nearly as uncomfortable as the comedy act I saw on the Pacific Princess recently, entirely about marriage relationships and with nothing the solo travelers in the audience could relate to. Not advertised as such in the patter. Or when the single enrichment series is mostly about improving relationships? Kvetch.

When I see the RCL ads, I see the target audience zip-lining, ice skating, surfing, cartoon characters, merry go-rounds etc. By the end of the WOW, I am exhausted. I know it is not what I am looking for.

When I see the new Carnival ad, I see cute kiddies flying down a loopty loop slide 4 at a time. Another great family atmosphere and more cartoon characters. Not what I am looking for.

When I see the Princess ad I know I am looking for a cruise that will bring me back to real life with a better ability to deal with it. I escaped on all my previous Princess cruises and I came back from each one feeling like a new person!

I think this says exactly what the Princess ads are trying to project. Thank you for clarifying it!!! :D

I'd much rather have the low key ads of Princess than the hyperactive ads of some other cruise lines, who's attractions are rock climbing, "surfing", zip lining onboard, and the like. If that's what sort of "fun" one is looking for, those are the ads for those folks.

JMO, but I think Princess ads are more of a reflection of Princess' quiet classiness. And classiness is not just for us older cruisers. Plenty of 40-50 year olds seem to like it too.

While I agree with you I have to say that those hyperactive ads do a good job of presenting the on board experience of those lines like it or not. The Princess ads are lifeless. There is no communication between the couples. They may as well be home on the couch watching TV. The ads don't promote the food ,accommodations, itinerary or the beauty of the ship. If I never stepped foot on a Princess ship I wouldn't have any idea what to expect. To me it looks like an ad for an assisted living facility and even they have more exciting ads than the Princess ads.

Yes, Come Back New is not memorable. If it doesn't work they'll pull it. What they're trying to do is separate themselves from the rest of the "gang", showing calm and peace, if that's what you're looking for. Yes, going on Princess does bring calm and peace to me.

This is interesting how ads work. To me as an older customer many of the car commercials or even the carnival commercials don't speak to me at all.

Princess is definitely reaching out to a particular market with its ads. I do think they are going for an older (but no ancient) audience. People who are looking to step up from the parties and "wow" stuff to a more sophisticated experience.

It is also not so much about the ship being a destination but taking you to someplace to experience something new-being the sights culture or anything else-and having a great time getting there. That, to me, is what Princess is all about.

It is not so much about big water slides, rock climbing walls and big town squares within the ship.

IMHO

For us it's about both. For my wife the destination and ports are probably most important. For me the ship is probably at least as important. I love the lazy sea days.

I understand what Princess’ add agency is trying to convey.

For some people, perhaps it is a good slogan. Fore me…. eh… Not so much.

The Wife and I both have very high pressure/stressful jobs.

We are both on call 24x7x365. (Minus the times when it is extremely difficult for the office to find us.. ...Cruising…)

We choose cruising vacations in order to “get away”, “remove ourselves”, to, I don’t know….. “Escape Completely”.

The office is always there. Honesty, I don’t want to “come back new”, I don’t want to come back at all!

But that’s just me…….

No offense but I'm waiting for a lawsuit on the new Carnival commercial as it is not allowed for them to let more than one person down the slide at a time...

As soon as I saw the commercial, I thought, they won't let them all go down together like that.

I like the new Princess commercials but I like "Escape Completely" much better!