Off Menu items

flyingaggie02

Probably going to get flamed for this, but making special orders in the dining room at a table for more than 2, especially for breakfast on a port call morning, can really mess things up for your fellow diners. More than a few times, we have left the dining room without receiving our breakfast entrée as the waiters want to serve everyone the main course at the same time and were left waiting for a special order to be completed. We had to leave in order to make our shore excursion meeting time and location. We've seen it happen to others as well.

Please take this into consideration when placing special orders.

Probably going to get flamed for this, but making special orders in the dining room at a table for more than 2, especially for breakfast on a port call morning, can really mess things up for your fellow diners. More than a few times, we have left the dining room without receiving our breakfast entrée as the waiters want to serve everyone the main course at the same time and were left waiting for a special order to be completed. We had to leave in order to make our shore excursion meeting time and location. We've seen it happen to others as well.

I wouldn't flame you, your post is very polite. Yes, the kitchen can be accommodating, but it's a fully booked cruise ship, not a private yacht.

I doubt I will ever end up actually ordering off-menu items. I'm pretty happy with what is available and I'm not really all that hard to please. If I was all that demanding I doubt I would have been married as long as I have. :D

Has anyone ever requested Beef wellington & got it? We haven' seen it on the last 2 four day cruises we've been on & I would love to have it.

It is available on the 7 night cruises. I would not ask for it on a smaller cruise as this is pretty elaborate to make and uses an expensive piece of meat. Take a 7 night cruise. It is not like throwing a salad together or frying shrimp.

Edited by Coral

I've missed shows after dinner for the same reason.

One of my favorite appetizer's for dinner is shrimp cocktail. Once in a while it is offered on some dinner's. On some of my cruises, I have requested it, and told no problem. On other's, they said they would have it if requested a day ahead. On recent cruises, they said they no longer offer it.

These were on other than Princess, so I wonder if anyone knows if Princess will serve it on request?

One of my favorite appetizer's for dinner is shrimp cocktail. Once in a while it is offered on some dinner's. On some of my cruises, I have requested it, and told no problem. On other's, they said they would have it if requested a day ahead. On recent cruises, they said they no longer offer it.

These were on other than Princess, so I wonder if anyone knows if Princess will serve it on request?

Available every night in the MDR. (I'm a shrimp lover, too.)

In the past 7 years I can't remember a time it wasn't available every night on Princess.

Its always available and printed right in the menu, we just had it all last week on the Sapphire

I call this the moviestar menu... because hollywood types don't order off the menu, they order what they feel like eating...so sometimes when I'm a passenger, I like to feel like a moviestar too, lol

Reminds me of a time when someone asked why I like to go to Thailand so often and I replied... I like to feel like a Kennedy every now and then!

The best is when you have an Italian head waiter .... I usually ask to see the next days menu at dinner and if nothing attracts my attention, I ask the head waiter to come over....

If I'm not sure what I want, I ask for suggestions because they do this all the time and come up with some great stuff...

Sauteed spinach with garlic is a favorite as is the big shrimps with cocktail sauce instead of those limp ones offered on the menu. Also, buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes like they have in Sabatini's. Or the night I see an appetizer of melon and prosciutto I will ask for roasted red peppers, they go together so well. I love chicken parm, but Princess makes it with a brown gravy, that's so wrong.... so with a red marinara sauce and a side of penne pasta and lemon butter sauce is much better.

The list goes on.... especially when you are on for long cruises, the menu becomes mundane .... and I've never had to wait for the food, always served along with everyone elses at the table. They are pros in the galley.... they whip this stuff up like nothing... not like we'd have to do at home.

I like the steamed veggies at dinner. It's off the menu but doesn't seem to be hard for them to get. It comes in a little dish on the side.

I'm sorry for delays it causes; because I know it does--but if they keep smothering everything in hot peppers and/or curry; I'm going to start special ordering. I really, really miss the grilled or pan fried fish with nothing to cover up its flavor!

One side note-I would encourage anyone making a special order to be kind if they can't accommodate it. They are preparing thousands of dinners and it may be that the ingredient you want is in the back of a storage unit many decks below. They simply don't have anyone extra available to go get it and prepare it to order. That may have been what happened to the salad. If ordered 24 hours before, they could obtain the ingredient before beginning the meal prep.

Pablo's experience is the exception. I'm sure there are times when waiters don't understand exactly what you want and don't communicate it well with the galley staff.

In my case -- if a waiter serving lunch doesn't understand what

a side salad with lunch is, he probably shouldn't be working on

a cruise ship.

I kept asking the people involved if they felt they were

consumate hosts.

After being disappointed about the fact there was no coffee creme brule I was told to ask for it by a customer rep so will when we are on the Regal - course it may be offered so not an issue. If they say you'll have to have it every day for the cruise then I very happily will.

I have had mussels for a starter every day after they were offered as part of the regular menu.

It is available on the 7 night cruises. I would not ask for it on a smaller cruise as this is pretty elaborate to make and uses an expensive piece of meat. Take a 7 night cruise. It is not like throwing a salad together or frying shrimp.

I am an accomplished cook & know what goes into the preparation. It can be made as individual servings, that's why I asked if anyone had ever requested it. We would go on a 7 day cruise if we could - both of us have businesses that need our constant attention at this time so it's not an option.

I call this the moviestar menu... because hollywood types don't order off the menu, they order what they feel like eating...so sometimes when I'm a passenger, I like to feel like a moviestar too, lol

Reminds me of a time when someone asked why I like to go to Thailand so often and I replied... I like to feel like a Kennedy every now and then!

The best is when you have an Italian head waiter .... I usually ask to see the next days menu at dinner and if nothing attracts my attention, I ask the head waiter to come over....

If I'm not sure what I want, I ask for suggestions because they do this all the time and come up with some great stuff...

Sauteed spinach with garlic is a favorite as is the big shrimps with cocktail sauce instead of those limp ones offered on the menu. Also, buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes like they have in Sabatini's. Or the night I see an appetizer of melon and prosciutto I will ask for roasted red peppers, they go together so well. I love chicken parm, but Princess makes it with a brown gravy, that's so wrong.... so with a red marinara sauce and a side of penne pasta and lemon butter sauce is much better.

The list goes on.... especially when you are on for long cruises, the menu becomes mundane .... and I've never had to wait for the food, always served along with everyone elses at the table. They are pros in the galley.... they whip this stuff up like nothing... not like we'd have to do at home.

Precisely, they serve everyone at the table each course at the same time, so you would never have to wait any longer than anyone else at the table, but their meals may be delayed while your special order is being prepared. I am an excellent chef (ask my family and friends), and making special orders will take additional time. Whipping it up like it is nothing doesn't happen magically because it is a cruise ship kitchen, it still has to be prepared, and if all the items are not on "the line", and some will not be readily at hand, they have to be procured from the kitchens which are on lower decks.

If you take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the kitchen tour that is part of the chef's table you will note that each station in the kitchen is assigned the preparation of one or two of the entrees, and each cook has the necessary ingredients for those dishes. Many of the cold appetizers are prepared in a kitchen on a lower deck and then transported to the main kitchen.

That being said, if you have a head waiter who delights in keeping passengers on b2b's, etc., delighted, they will frequently make requests of the chefs well ahead of time to have certain items at hand (I have come to believe that even these items are kind of de riguer) for off menu surprises. DH and I have never special ordered for the same evening, but our darling Rui would make sure there was melon and prosciutto every evening of a port day just in case I found fresh figs in one of the markets ashore. We, of course, brought some along for him to enjoy as well. We also had a table for 2.

And now a true story: We were invited to dine with the ship's navigator/first officer on the Coral a number of years ago. He was a charming young man, and very kind to us. We were in the anytime dining room. He asked the head waiter to start the meal with an antipasto platter. The head waiter apologized saying it would take a little while, had he been informed earlier in the day he would have had what was needed standing by. Yes, he gently reprimanded the first officer...and we did have a wait for an antipasto platter. Luckily the waiting time was filled with conversation with this charming young man, along with some very nice wine.

Another true story: On the other hand, DH and I were invited to dine with the Captain one evening on the Grand, again, in an anytime dining room. He asked to join us for an evening - and pretty much blew us away with the request - we were delighted but couldn't really understand why he would choose us. Our head waiter knew about it the day before, and had some special goodies on hand - advance warning works wonders. Again, a wonderful evening, great conversation, nice wine, truly an evening to remember.

My point remains, special orders delay meals, and when other people at the table have plans following the meal, a delayed meal can cause what can sometimes be a significant inconvenience such as no breakfast before a full day of touring, and/or missing dinner or missing an evening show or event.

Yeah, That's why I said I do the order the night before, so everything is ready... they even know what time I'll be in to dine....

Believe me, I worked on the ship and have a pretty good understanding of what happens....what's possible and what's not.

Not sure if this would be considered a "special order" , but when ordering off the menu in the MDR, is it OK to order part of one choice of dinner and part of another choice and to be served on one plate ? ( eg. a steak less the trimmings and say part of a seafood order less the trimmings ). Also, even though not on the menu all the time is it wrong to order French Onion Soup each night ? Thanks

Not sure if this would be considered a "special order" , but when ordering off the menu in the MDR, is it OK to order part of one choice of dinner and part of another choice and to be served on one plate ? ( eg. a steak less the trimmings and say part of a seafood order less the trimmings ). Also, even though not on the menu all the time is it wrong to order French Onion Soup each night ? Thanks

Yes! Your waiter will consolidate if necessary. :)

We do this all the time.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Anything with a different configuration is a special order. That said, some are easier than others, it all depends on how the original dishes are prepared and if they are pre-plated or assembled to order...

We have never had a problem ordering "off the menu" on any Princess cruise.

First, it is important to recognize that the latitude to deal with the galley on "off menu" items is the purview of the Head waiter, not the waiter. Therefore the requests should go through the Head Waiter.

Second, we only ask if it is possible to prepare something special for the following day unless is just a modification of something already being prepared (we often ask for the romaine lettuce from the Caesar salad with a favorite dressing on the side and that is not a problem.

Third, establishing rapport with your Head Waiter on the first day is essential. Often the Head Waiter will have excellent suggestions based on your tastes and dietary requirements.

It is well to remember that demanding anything, often will get you nothing.

• 1 month later...

We like escargot on French Night. One cruise, they did not have it on the menu. I told the head waiter I was disappointed because we always look forward to it. She said she would try to find some for the next night, and lo and behold it was brought out to us the next night. If they have it on the ship, and you ask for it in advance, they are pretty good about getting it to you.