Any time vs. Late seat dining

Relaxer123

Good Evening to All,

I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times before, but I was wondering if any of you could offer me some feedback about both types of dining (anytime vs. late seat)-- that would be great. I will be cruising on the Reflection in March and wanted to make an informed decision. My cruisemate and I wouldn't eat before 8:30pm. We like to mingle with people and have our waiter get to know our dining preferences--- but we also would like to switch things up in order to make things more fun and interesting on a 7 day cruise.

Are gratuities the same for bot anytime and late seating dining?

Thanks and Happy Cruising!

Good Evening to All,

I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times before, but I was wondering if any of you could offer me some feedback about both types of dining (anytime vs. late seat)-- that would be great. I will be cruising on the Reflection in March and wanted to make an informed decision. My cruisemate and I wouldn't eat before 8:30pm. We like to mingle with people and have our waiter get to know our dining preferencWies--- but we also would like to switch things up in order to make things more fun and interesting on a 7 day cruise.

Are gratuities the same for bot anytime and late seating dining?

Thanks and Happy Cruising!

Gratuities are the same, the only difference is if you choose Select you have to prepay the gratuities, with traditional they put them on your account per diem. It is not likely that if you choose Select that your waiter will get to know you as you will probably have a different one every night. You may or may not sit with other people and also highly unlikely if you did that they would be the same ones every night. With traditional you will have the same table and the same people sitting with you as well as the same waiter.

Gratuities are the same. They will put them on your bill at the end of the cruise. If you like meeting different people and or dining when you want to, do the any time dining. If you have a good group at your table, late seating can be a good thing plus you get the same waiter at every seating which can be a good or bad thing. as well On our last cruise we had the late seating and one of our tablemates was a blowhard. It was a 14 day cruise and lets just say at the end of the cruise we didn't exchange addresses. My preference is anytime dining over assigned seating.

Just returned from an 8-day cruise and used anytime dining for the first time. I didn't like it at all. Even though we had made reservations for the same time - 6:30 - each night, they were disorganized and once even tried to seat us at a table where the people were already eating. I prefer knowing the waiter and going right to the same table each night.

Just returned from an 8-day cruise and used anytime dining for the first time. I didn't like it at all. Even though we had made reservations for the same time - 6:30 - each night, they were disorganized and once even tried to seat us at a table where the people were already eating. I prefer knowing the waiter and going right to the same table each night.

We've dined select and had the same server. Just ask to be seated in their section when you check in. :)

We have never tried select because late dining suits us so much especially on port intensive Caribbean cruises.

Why?.......

We don't have to return to ship early to shower and change for dinner.

We can relax and watch the sunset as we leave port, nice drink in hand.

We really enjoy sitting at a large table reliving the days events with people we have built up a report with. I think this is my most important reason, we have made some very good friends post cruise with people who were our table mates.

The waiters, food and drink, get to know my preferences and are more attentive because of that. Wine arrives at the table faster.

Cheers, h.

We have never tried select because late dining suits us so much especially on port intensive Caribbean cruises.

Why?.......

We don't have to return to ship early to shower and change for dinner.

We can relax and watch the sunset as we leave port, nice drink in hand.

We really enjoy sitting at a large table reliving the days events with people we have built up a report with. I think this is my most important reason, we have made some very good friends post cruise with people who were our table mates.

The waiters, food and drink, get to know my preferences and are more attentive because of that. Wine arrives at the table faster.

I would have to agree with this reasoning 100%. Personal preference, of course, especially as I travel solo.

I did Select on the last cruise (only because, for once, late dining was at capacity when I booked, and I can't eat dinner at 6pm!). I didn't particularly like it. They're weren't well-equipped to fill a table with an assortment of groups, so my first night, they sat me at a table by myself. Even when I found other cruisers to dine with, having a different wait staff (and a different sommelier) every night was just not the dining experience I prefer.

We've dined select and had the same server. Just ask to be seated in their section when you check in. :)

You can also have the same table with the same table mates if you desire. ;)

On an Infinity Panama Canal Cruise with select dining, we had the same server, sat at the same table, with the same people for 12 of the 14 nights.

Next cruise on Solstice it was a different table with different people almost every night.

That's the beauty of select, you can enjoy any combination of time, table size or location, server, and/or tablemates you want. :cool:

We have done anytime and loved it! Early was too early and late was too late. Ended up at 7-7:30 each night and got our wait staff when we requested them. Only once they didn't have an available table so we just waited 15 mns or so until they had a table open.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you choose to eat at 8:30 each evening, you probably won't be finished with dinner before 10:30...seems to be about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour process.

We preferred the select...we went when we were ready and not always the same time each evening and never had a problem finding a table for two unless we chose to eat with someone we had met on our pre cruise tour.

I've heard some pretty bad stories about people being assigned to the same table with the same people each evening....it can be good or it can be bad....someone we met on our last cruise had a couple that were real "pills" and it did put a damper on their dinner each night. Dining with DH is something I look forward to on a cruise....I would not want that wonderful experience spoiled.

As you can see , there is no consensus on this question. Some cruisers love Select and wouldn't do it any other way, others only want Traditional. Some of it, of course, is the luck of the draw -- if you have a great waiter and great table companions, Traditional can be a real pleasure with a gracious ambiance and waiters who know you and really make you feel pampered. But we have had Traditional tables that just didn't work out well --- the table mates were disagreeable or boring or most never showed up, the waiters were sub par. I should add we have had some great tables, also. Select can feel disjointed, tables are all on different courses with people coming and going throughout the meal, waiters don't know your preferences at all. But, it IS nice to be able to vary your dining time according to your schedule for the day. So, you'll have to weigh the pros and cons to make the decision that is right for you. At this point in our lives, DH and I prefer Select for the flexibility, but that's not the answer for everyone.

Having this same debate as we are booking an extended family trip today (Celebrity Summit - Bermuda). We have young ones in our group of 10, so late seating will not work for us, but early seating is just a bit too early. With MTD, can we select a set time and ensure that our table of 10 will be seated with the same wait staff every night? Additionally, what times are the shows offered? Are we going to miss out on both early and late shows with a 6:30 or 7:00 meal time? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Love seeing the different sides to this. Some folks love the big table meeting new people and some of us have no interest in that. I have a few friends that think this is the best part of their cruise. Mother in law the same way, she will close down the dining hall :) For us, Select enhanced our dining experience tenfold. Never liked eating early and the late is way too late for me. This is a great compromise.

So, if you like mingling with new people and want the wait staff to know your needs/wants then standard dining is for you. Unfortunately there is no flexibility then for MDR dining. If you don't mind a different wait staff every night (probably have the same folks a couple of times) and like to eat alone or with new friends that want to share a table then Select is for you.

I have no issue with a waiter getting to know us or our dining habits. I don't get that in any other restaurant I go to so it really doesn't make a difference to us.

whatever you choose, enjoy!

Having this same debate as we are booking an extended family trip today (Celebrity Summit - Bermuda). We have young ones in our group of 10, so late seating will not work for us, but early seating is just a bit too early. With MTD, can we select a set time and ensure that our table of 10 will be seated with the same wait staff every night? Additionally, what times are the shows offered? Are we going to miss out on both early and late shows with a 6:30 or 7:00 meal time? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Shows are harder to schedule around with Select Dining, no doubt about it, since they are designed to coordinate with traditional dining times. For early diners, the shows are after dinner every night, I think at 8:30 or thereabouts. For late diners, the shows are after dinner on formal nights (about 10:30) but before dinner on other nights (7:00). I think the best way to ensure you can see all the shows is to book dinner by 6:30, but if you do that, you may as well book traditional since you'll be eating at about the same time. I wouldn't expect the waitstaff to be able to rush you along with a table that large if you pick 7:00 but want to be out for the 8:30 show, that might be possible but sounds like a tall order.

Nice to have choices. I just sailed CENTURY and we had traditional

dining, late seating and we were all rollcall mates:D and had a really

fun table:)....we were 5 at a 6 top and our wait staff was wonderful.

We all enjoyed ourselves:) and I guess (that I can recall) we

weren't interested in many shows and we had chatted quite a bit over

the 8 nights and all of us like traditional dining.

Different strokes for different folks:)

Gratuities are the same. They will put them on your bill at the end of the cruise. If you like meeting different people and or dining when you want to, do the any time dining. If you have a good group at your table, late seating can be a good thing plus you get the same waiter at every seating which can be a good or bad thing. as well On our last cruise we had the late seating and one of our tablemates was a blowhard. It was a 14 day cruise and lets just say at the end of the cruise we didn't exchange addresses. My preference is anytime dining over assigned seating.

We have tried both and we like late seating by far the best for all the reasons stated by others here. We have had tablemates we did not care for twice and we asked for a new table, we also had a waiter once I did not care for and again changed tables. If you are not happy with your table you can move. The great thing about a cruise (all of them) they insist on making you happy. Just ask.:)

Gratuities are the same, the only difference is if you choose Select you have to prepay the gratuities, with traditional they put them on your account per diem. It is not likely that if you choose Select that your waiter will get to know you as you will probably have a different one every night. You may or may not sit with other people and also highly unlikely if you did that they would be the same ones every night. With traditional you will have the same table and the same people sitting with you as well as the same waiter.

I have sailed this way numerous times, and had the same waiters most of the time. Actually, even the same table...:cool:

We prefer anytime dining!! Our lives revolve around schedules--do we want to be on another one if we don't have to be--nope.

-- If get back from a tour and we are hungry we have choices--we can grab something smaller to eat and then eat dinner later or we can get cleaned up and then go for dinner.

-- If we go for dinner later we can rest a bit first and then eat.

--If we have to get up early the next day we can plan to have an early dinner do a few things after and get a good night sleep.

--If we aren't hungry after a tour we don't have to hurry to get cleaned and go for dinner when you aren't really very hungry.

--On our last cruise a bunch of people were sitting by the pool bar late

afternoon having a great time. Half of the people had to leave, because they had early seating for dinner--I was so glad I had anytime dining!!--- Because we could eat anytime-- I'm not 100% sure of this ,but I heard if you have a set dinner time and you don't show your waiter doesn't get a tip. Your group might choose to skip supper because they had a late lunch or they decide to go to the buffet---I don't want to feel guilty. I didn't read all of the previous posts so maybe this was mentioned.

We prefer anytime dining!! Our lives revolve around schedules--do we want to be on another one if we don't have to be--nope.

-- If get back from a tour and we are hungry we have choices--we can grab something smaller to eat and then eat dinner later or we can get cleaned up and then go for dinner.

--If we have to get up early the next day we can plan to have an early dinner do a few things after and get a good night sleep.

--If we aren't hungry after a tour we don't have to hurry to get cleaned and go for dinner when you aren't really very hungry.

afternoon having a great time. Half of the people had to leave, because they had early seating for dinner--I was so glad I had anytime dining!!--- Because we could eat anytime-- I'm not 100% sure of this ,but I heard if you have a set dinner time and you don't show your waiter doesn't get a tip. Your group might choose to skip supper because they had a late lunch or they decide to go to the buffet---I don't want to feel guilty. I didn't read all of the previous posts so maybe this was mentioned.

I had heard about the waiters not getting tips for no shows but that was on P and O, I have no idea how true it is

I spoke to Celebrity yesterday about being wait listed for select and mentioned about us might wanting the buffet some nights, and leaving the table half empty, he said this happens all the time and it doesn't matter at all, the waiters and the other table guests will be fine about it. We have requested a table for just the 4 of us but will most likely stick to the 8.45 dinner time

Not sure who told you that but it is not true. Tips are charged to your

account on a daily basis and part of the amount goes to the dining

staff. So, the wait staff is taken care of that way (when you have

traditional dining) and when you choose Select? You are paying your

gratuities up front.

[if get back from a tour and we are hungry we have choices--we can grab something smaller to eat and then eat dinner later or we can get cleaned up and then go for dinner.

--If we aren't hungry after a tour we don't have to hurry to get cleaned and go for dinner when you aren't really very hungry.]

Agree with you Dunner on all your reasons to chose anytime/select dining.

We have chosen anytime dining on all of our cruises and will again on our next,with the Equinox. Only a couple of tiny niggles...one on HAL where we sat on a table of eight and everyone ignored us and each other but the upside was...we didn't have to sit with them again...ever!:) On Princess we had to wait to get in...max 10 mins, twice...no biggie! We always got out early enough to check out what was going on in the theatre but yes, the front row seats had gone...not a problem, you get out fast from the back when the show is over and don't get caught in the crush!

We also had friends who went on a cruise where there was no dining option, they ended up on a table with some miserable people every night and it ruined the cruise for them.:(

We've done anytime dining on our last 2 cruises. On our RC cruise, it worked great for our family of 6. We requested the same wait staff every night and never had to wait for a table despite never making a reservation.

On our Millie cruise last year it was a disaster. We were a family of 5 this time and the first night we had to wait about 45 minutes for a table. After the first night, we had a standing reservation which sort of defeated the purpose of "dining any time". The tables were so close together you could have a conversation with anyone around you. The wait staff was slow and not nearly as attentive as on our RC cruise. The last formal night, we waited about 20 minutes before the waiter even brought our menus!

For our Summit cruise coming up next year, we've opted to go back to late seating. It will only be DH and I and we like getting to know other people. We're hoping the wait staff will be a little more attentive too.